PDA

View Full Version : Hackers Social Group.

peter_rs
20th February 2005, 08:55 PM
Hi guys,

I play in a social group once a month around brisbane.

http://www.hackers-golf.com/calendar%202002_qld.htm

You get to play in your own groups. All you pay is the green fees. The Club supplies prizes and pin shoots on par 3. U don't need a AGU as the title suggests.

Anyone who wants to play Virginia this Sunday your more then welcome.

Trung
20th February 2005, 08:59 PM
http://img205.exs.cx/img205/4782/untitled2copy4mu.jpg

Peter, is that you?

If yes, congrats :mrgreen: \:D/

peter_rs
20th February 2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks, But I only wish. maybe this year.

No I have only been playing with them for half of last year.

AndyP
21st February 2005, 09:00 AM
I have been playing with them for a few years now, on and off.

The level of golf is generally low, and it is a slow round. But if you go there expecting that, it's all good.

I am missing the Virginia round, and the following Wantima Round (clash with Wynnum Cup). Should be right to play Gailes in April though.

BTW if anyone is interested in playing, bring proof of your AGU handicap along, so you don't have to hand in a few cards to get a Hacker's handicap.

peter_rs
21st February 2005, 09:45 AM
Well I agree its can be slow but that is the course more then due to the level of golf. In the rounds I have played its be around 4 hours. It all depends if you see 4 hours for a group of 4 without carts as slow. On a slow comp day at Paffic took 5 1/2 hours. THATS SLOW.

you don't have to worry about the level of golf to much cause you can play in your own groups.

AndyP
21st February 2005, 10:01 AM
Well I agree its can be slow but that is the course more then due to the level of golf. In the rounds I have played its be around 4 hours. It all depends if you see 4 hours for a group of 4 without carts as slow. On a slow comp day at Paffic took 5 1/2 hours. THATS SLOW.

Of the 20 or so Hacker's rounds I have played, I don't think I have ever played in a 4 hour round.
The problem is that it is a stroke format. Way too slow! It should be stableford, but that is too "complicated" for guys that don't play that often.

When you have guys playing off 36, who need to finish out holes, it doesn't promote speediness. As many aren't regular golfers, they probably don't have a great awareness for speed of play.

Recently it hasn't been as big a problem as the numbers turning up are down, but I've played in Hacker's days with 60+ people.

Another problem is the waiting around on the tee, as you aren't assigned a time beforehand. You can be waiting on the 1st hole for over an hour sometimes.

When I play Hacker's, I concede that 6 to 7 hours of my day could be gone, depending on travel.

That said, I enjoy it because it gives me the opportunity to play with my non-golfing mates, and they have some good prizes.

BrisVegas
21st February 2005, 10:32 AM
When I play Hacker's, I concede that 6 to 7 hours of my day could be gone, depending on travel.

That said, I enjoy it because it gives me the opportunity to play with my non-golfing mates, and they have some good prizes.

That's about how long the ozgolf days have been taking of late.... 5 to 5 1/2 hour round, plus an hour of travel at either end etc... It's a whole day gone.

markTHEblake
21st February 2005, 10:38 AM
Solve that problem by putting Jarro and Andyp in the last group.

peter_rs
21st February 2005, 10:46 AM
Unless I'm mistaken there is 24 hours in a day, Even if you sleep 10 hours a day that leave 14. So 6 is hardly a whole day gone(Maybe half).

As Long as the drinks are flowing and the company is some what interesting in the name of golf we bear it.

AndyP
21st February 2005, 11:50 AM
Unless I'm mistaken there is 24 hours in a day, Even if you sleep 10 hours a day that leave 14. So 6 is hardly a whole day gone(Maybe half).

As Long as the drinks are flowing and the company is some what interesting in the name of golf we bear it.
By the whole day gone, Vegas would mean useful daylight hours for doing chores for the missus.

Fortunately the tee times are usually pretty early for Hackers, so you are left with a few hours in the afternoon for that, if you have the energy.

peter_rs
21st February 2005, 12:02 PM
I know just digging.

Two things
-hackers is the perfect way to introduce her to the game- with the 10 shot rule.
-If you live in a flat the chores are alot less :D

AndyP
21st February 2005, 12:49 PM
-hackers is the perfect way to introduce her to the game- with the 10 shot rule.
Peter, I've tried for two years to get my missus to play Hackers, without success. For some reason, she doesn't like teeing off in front of crowds. (Yet she has no problem strutting her stuff at Bad Girls)

Oh well, I'll keep asking. She says she may be interested in playing in the cooler months.

BrisVegas
21st February 2005, 12:53 PM
For some reason, she doesn't like teeing off in front of crowds. (Yet she has no problem strutting her stuff at Bad Girls)

The difference is the money she can get from the punters at Bad Girls... What's in it for her at Hackers? :roll:

peter_rs
21st February 2005, 12:58 PM
Well if she has "no problem strutting her stuff at Bad Girls" chances are the guys will be looking at other things then her swing. :wink:

No its just good fun. Sharon would injoy the company. Be warned its a double edge sword you get to play more golf, but if she starts to bet you the ego can suffer. The have a nack of hitting the ball straight.

AndyP
21st February 2005, 01:12 PM
The difference is the money she can get from the punters at Bad Girls... What's in it for her at Hackers? :roll:
Some quality stationery prizes.

Be warned its a double edge sword you get to play more golf, but if she starts to bet you the ego can suffer. The have a nack of hitting the ball straight.
Straight, yes. Very far, no. My missus rarely hits over 100m, and is an absolutely shocking putter. No feel for distance at all.
Plus, if she starts playing well and getting close to me, I can always put her back on babysitting duties.

I figure I'm safe.

peter_rs
21st February 2005, 01:19 PM
True about the money- but they have moved up in the world now its $20 gift cert.

Its when they learn to putt and hit a 3 wood 170m, that they can push you esp. on short tight courses.

Good back plan with the baby sitting.