PDA

View Full Version : Found: Laser Rangerfinder

Zeusgolf
30th November 2009, 10:32 PM
FOUND: Purchased a new Bushnell V2 Tour for $300 to the door.....

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 10:40 PM
Next year at champs there will no more borrowing because we'll all have one.

Go Leupold, it's the shiznit.

Yossarian
30th November 2009, 10:41 PM
If there is more than one on offer I could be keen as well.

adlo
30th November 2009, 10:45 PM
These things are addictive. It is so hard to golf without one once you get used to it.

A lot of people think it is stupid to measure to the nearest metre, but I think these things helps you work out exactly how far you can hit each club in the bag and therefore maximise your chances of hitting it close.

Good luck with the search.

Best value buy is the Leupold GX-I. The cheaper options really don't stack up. The Bushnell V2 Tour is also good.

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 10:47 PM
I find that I am more confident in the club I choose, but it also saves time.

No more searching for a marker or sprinkler head and then trying to figure out where the pin is.

The best part is that you guys all helped pay for mine!

MegaWatty
30th November 2009, 10:47 PM
V2 Tour going pretty cheaply on US eBay. I rate mine!

Yossarian
30th November 2009, 10:48 PM
The WA krew is a generous mob that is for sure.

Zeusgolf
30th November 2009, 10:49 PM
After Joondalup I'm convinced I saved about 5-7 strokes having the correct meterage...

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 10:50 PM
I love the yardage option. No more adding GST.

Zeusgolf
30th November 2009, 10:56 PM
I have to pay for my driver before i shell out 3hunge for a finder....

Adlo pm your account details...and i give you some internet money fwend

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 11:04 PM
The exact distances help a ton.

I've only used it a couple times, but each time, I had a few instances where I couldn't believe the distance it gave. I know Kennedy very well, but not as well as I thought! The finder is always right.

adlo
30th November 2009, 11:16 PM
I have to pay for my driver before i shell out 3hunge for a finder....

Adlo pm your account details...and i give you some internet money fwend

:lol:

No worries buddy.

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 11:22 PM
Crap, still need to transfer you some internet money for the nice cup of coffee that i just drank, guy.

adlo
30th November 2009, 11:25 PM
Money incoming. The internet makes lots of money, guy.

Zeusgolf
30th November 2009, 11:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Leupold-RX-600-Digital-Laser-Rangefinder-Black-59515_W0QQitemZ190335258178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item2c50dd8e42 ????????

adlo
30th November 2009, 11:27 PM
No pinseeker.

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 11:28 PM
PinHunter, guy, like MilfHunter.

Nice Sig!

simmsy
30th November 2009, 11:45 PM
I find that I am more confident in the club I choose, but it also saves time.

No more searching for a marker or sprinkler head and then trying to figure out where the pin is.

The best part is that you guys all helped pay for mine!

It still stings a little.

hopefully getting my GX-I in the next week if all goes to plan.

Zeusgolf
1st December 2009, 12:06 AM
This is the best offer I can find http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Leupold-Golf-GX-I-Laser-Rangefinder-PinHunter-FREE_W0QQitemZ390123928316QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad532bafc

idgolfguy
1st December 2009, 12:07 AM
As long as it makes the club selection quicker by no second guessing yourself.

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2009, 12:08 AM
that's where both simmsy and i purchased. we should have done a group buy!

adlo
1st December 2009, 02:38 AM
With free shipping a group buy makes no sense!!

Mind you, would have been fun to see TourFit implode trying to arrange it!!

Hey Zues, apparently TF is looking to offload his, not sure of make/model.

Pieface
1st December 2009, 11:32 AM
My letter is on it's way to the North pole. Having the exact range to the pin is worth a bunch of shots from what i have seen playing a few times with the 'finder equipped among us. Nothing more frustrating than nailing a good approach a club or two short because I've estimated the pin location poorly. My depth perception is rooted over 80m or so.

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2009, 12:55 PM
I thought I was pretty good with eyeing off distances. Incredible how off I was from even around 50-60 metres.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
1st December 2009, 01:30 PM
Ive got a Bushnell V2 tour which I could sell. PM me if youre interested.

I dont play enough to warrant it.

morgy
1st December 2009, 02:12 PM
Are these better than GPS?

Zeusgolf
1st December 2009, 02:19 PM
Are these better than GPS?

Not better just different...

Both have there merits.....

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2009, 02:24 PM
GPS is good if you are off line and can't get a direct line to what you need to measure.

Rangefinders give you exact distances.

I tried a GPS and was going to get one until I tried a rangefinder. I like having the exact distance, can't beat that. Generally, with the mapping of a course via GPS, you only get front, middle and back of the green, which is limiting. I also found them to be a little inaccurate.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
1st December 2009, 02:29 PM
Johnny Canuck, youre making want to keep mine. =)

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2009, 02:35 PM
I love mine. Great little gadget.

idgolfguy
1st December 2009, 02:51 PM
I have both and prefer the laser. GPS is fine for approximate and can be slower to get a fix. It is useful if you can't see your target and the course is mapped accurately.

Pieface
1st December 2009, 03:12 PM
I thought maybe carry distance for fairway bunkers would be a good use on the GPS. Especially if you are unfamiliar with the layout.

I can see the appeal of the laser because you can see it potentially saving you a stroke every hole on your approach to the green,.

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2009, 03:19 PM
you can scan the bunker to get a good idea of carry distance as well.

idgolfguy
1st December 2009, 03:34 PM
The beauty with a rangefinder is that your course does not need to be mapped. It can be used off the tee to work out carry distances, end of fairways etc. Much more flexible and has greater range of uses.

Pieface
1st December 2009, 03:37 PM
Well that's just dandy!

Good points though about the GPS working when you are unsighted or have a blind shot.

adlo
1st December 2009, 04:01 PM
GPS are handy on the odd occasion of blind shots, like you say, but that is not the majority of the time.

The majority of the time you can scan what you need and the rangefinder is faster and more accurate.

I have been shocked by how "rough" GPS distances can be.

just
1st December 2009, 04:04 PM
I have been shocked by how "rough" GPS distances can be.

Then you either have used poor GPS units with one or more of the following: bad chips/bad software/bad mapping. GPS is extremely accurate.

Pieface
1st December 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm sold on the laser being generally more useful :)

adlo
1st December 2009, 04:09 PM
Then you either have used poor GPS units with one or more of the following: bad chips/bad software/bad mapping. GPS is extremely accurate.

Good luck with that Just. I can't trust them after what I have seen. You are probably right, but I have never felt the rangefinder is lacking.

just
1st December 2009, 04:29 PM
Good luck with that Just. I can't trust them after what I have seen. You are probably right, but I have never felt the rangefinder is lacking.
Nor should you, lasers are great, wish I had one of the Leupolds. GPS however is also extremely fast and accurate, indeed a good GPS will be faster than a laser any day.

adlo
1st December 2009, 04:30 PM
Win, win!!

Pieface
1st December 2009, 04:36 PM
Can you suggest a good GPS then Just?

idgolfguy
1st December 2009, 04:36 PM
Nor should you, lasers are great, wish I had one of the Leupolds. GPS however is also extremely fast and accurate, indeed a good GPS will be faster than a laser any day.
GPS is always on and specific to a predetermined location. Laser is specific to an arbitrary point.

just
1st December 2009, 04:40 PM
Can you suggest a good GPS then Just?
I have an igolf Neo, great chip, very fast and accurate also very basic and cheap, you don't need much more. In my ideal world I'd have my igolf for stuff from the fairway and the laser for distances to certain hazards etc

idgolfguy
1st December 2009, 04:42 PM
I use the older Bushnell Scout 1000 and Iphone GolfShot. Cheap solution and works well.

Rusty
1st December 2009, 06:30 PM
In my ideal world I'd have my igolf for stuff from the fairway and the laser for distances to certain hazards etc

i live in Just's perfect world :) - i have both and prefer... both :)

(pin distance with reference to front and back is good too)

adlo
1st December 2009, 06:36 PM

Very good point. I normally pay quick attention to sprinkler markings as well to give me an idea off the front/back/green depth/pin placement etc. Not quite the same as a GPS though.

Pieface
1st December 2009, 06:36 PM

Looking at your sig I'm hoping you picked up all your tech gear in 2008?? That would help justifying some tech hoing at any rate :mrgreen:

zacdullard
9th December 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm interested in one of the Leupold gx-1 and I'm wondering how these go on big elevation changes on holes. The gx-2 has some feature that changes this but i don't think that it is worth the extra money.

Can the people who have one of these tell me how they fair on hilly courses.

Johnny Canuck
9th December 2009, 07:08 PM
If you buy the gx-2 you can't use it in any comp due to the fact that it incorporates elevation into the equation. It doesn't matter if the feature is disabled, you still can't use it.

It would only be for social play.

zacdullard
9th December 2009, 07:11 PM
Ok that is out then but how does the gx-1 go on elevation changes?

Also can the gx-1 be used in any event or only club events?

Zeusgolf
9th December 2009, 07:13 PM
The GX-1 does not do elevation thus it is permitted for use in comps...

The club has to approve it for use, so if you go to another club they have to have a local rule approving it...

Pieface
9th December 2009, 07:18 PM
If you can see it you can shoot it Zac for the line of sight distance. It's up to you to interpret the distance against the change in elevation with club and shot choice.

Johnny Canuck
9th December 2009, 07:24 PM
exactly what pieface said.

AlexMc
9th December 2009, 10:01 PM
Just got a Bushnell V2 with a free accessories pack off 3balls for US$299 and free postage...I have an old model Sureshot but I find it a frustrating experience...plus it's another gadget...

Golfnut
9th December 2009, 11:48 PM
Any of the WA boys here wanting to get the GX-1? Zeus??? PF??
Treating myself to a Christmas pressie this year so I'll be in if someone's putting an order through...

simmsy
9th December 2009, 11:52 PM
The guy me and JC went through doesn't charge postage so just go ahead and do it yourself mate, no savings to be made by group buy.

Golfnut
9th December 2009, 11:54 PM
Which guy?
I've got cashola, is he local?

Zeusgolf
11th December 2009, 01:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Leupold-Golf-GX-I-Laser-Rangefinder-PinHunter-FREE_W0QQitemZ390123928316QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad532bafc

adlo
11th December 2009, 05:00 AM
If you need to do the sneaky cash buy GN, we can talk Sunday.

I am happy to help out, I'll use Paypal and you give me the cash.