PDA

View Full Version : prima donnas

Russell
28th November 2009, 04:47 PM
is it only me or is anyone else getting annoyed at the constant carry on by pro golfers concerning photo taking.seems to be happening more now that tiger has set a precident,with a pro golfer being so "in the zone" nowdays, surely a camera shutter at 150 paces shouldnt disturb him?

Jarro
28th November 2009, 04:59 PM
I often wonder how it is that Tiger doesn't hear the shuffling about of the couple of thousand fans that follow him everytime he plays, yet he manages to hear a couple of shutter clicks above everything else ??

Maybe he's just waiting for it everytime he has a swing ?

Webster
28th November 2009, 05:42 PM
why dont they wear ear plugs?

Scottt
28th November 2009, 05:45 PM
Russell, when has Tiger ever walked off a shot because of a camera 150 yards away?

mike
28th November 2009, 05:49 PM
Don't be pedantic Scottt. You know what he means.

mike
28th November 2009, 05:51 PM
I agree Russell. Boonie used to face up to 100 mph missiles from Michael Holding. He never expected complete silence.

Scottt
28th November 2009, 05:54 PM
Don't be pedantic Scottt. You know what he means.

When did accurate and pedantic become one and the same?

They are playing for huge money and titles. There are signs at most if not all tournaments on Thur-Sun saying "no cameras".

If you are stupid enough to not turn your digital camera's shutter sound off for starters you deserve a smack over the head on general principle, but if you're shooting Tiger at the top of his swing from 10m, that is going to put him off.

There is a lot of things to lament that go on on the professional tours, but I don't think this is one of them.

Scottt
28th November 2009, 05:55 PM
I agree Russell. Boonie used to face up to 100 mph missiles from Michael Holding. He never expected complete silence.

You're aware that cricket and golf are completely different sports, yeah?

mike
28th November 2009, 06:00 PM
Yep. And I'd rather complete silence facing Holding than hitting a golf ball.

Scottt
28th November 2009, 06:02 PM
Mike,

I suspect Boonie would take exception to one idiot breaking the silence by yelling as Holding reached his delivery stride, just as I suspect most golfers would have no problem with teeing off surrounded by the general white noise you hear from the middle in a cricket match.

mike
28th November 2009, 06:05 PM
Yep and there are noises all over a golf course in a pro tournament too. They need to just get used to it.

JMO.

mike
28th November 2009, 06:09 PM
I remember watching a Euro pga tour event a few years ago. Monty was about to hit when something in his peripheral vision distracted him. He stopped and turned to glare at the offending ... shrub swaying in the breeze. It was piss funny.

Russell
28th November 2009, 08:18 PM
Yep and there are noises all over a golf course in a pro tournament too. They need to just get used to it.

JMO.
i agree,i think its easier to concentrate with a moderate hum of noise than with deathly silence

zigwah
28th November 2009, 08:22 PM
Tiger should dry his eyes and harden the **** up, his old man would tell him the same thing.

Didn't his father incorporate crowd distraction in his training?

Russell
28th November 2009, 08:22 PM
maybe he's just waiting for it everytime he has a swing ?
sometimes it appears that that could be his swing thought

matty
28th November 2009, 08:40 PM
It's a tough one but maybe they should just allow cameras in. Everyone is in the same boat and just has to cop it.

Then we'd see who is mentally the toughest.

razaar
28th November 2009, 10:51 PM
Haven't you found that when things aren't going your way during a round, your senses are tuned into evrything around you except the golf. Conversely when you are playing well a bomb could go off and you probably wouldn't notice it. Why should the pros be any different.
I have always been dubious about Tiger stopping his downswing once its started. I'd bet the house that's staged.

mike
29th November 2009, 12:39 AM
i agree,i think its easier to concentrate with a moderate hum of noise than with deathly silence
I don't really like it when I address the ball, whether putting or on the tee, and all of a sudden everybody goes silent. I'd prefer the conversation to continue.
Noises, phones, conversation, farts, etc don't bother me when I'm playing my shot. I must have nerves of steel.

3oneday
29th November 2009, 06:50 AM
I agree on this one. They are playing outdoors, what if a bird squawks instead of a camera click ? Do they stare daggers at the bird ?

I just don't get how a click is so bad, heaven forbid someone lets one rip ? The crowd would crack up but what would the pro do ?

Jarro
29th November 2009, 06:54 AM
Haven't you found that when things aren't going your way during a round, your senses are tuned into evrything around you except the golf. Conversely when you are playing well a bomb could go off and you probably wouldn't notice it. Why should the pros be any different.
I have always been dubious about Tiger stopping his downswing once its started. I'd bet the house that's staged.

I'm starting to think along these lines too :-k

As has been said earlier, Tiger just needs to learn to live with it.

Am i right also in saying that the offender in Melbourne was a professional photographer and not not someone in the gallery ? I'm sure this same thing happens a lot to other pro's, but it's only Tiger and his thug caddy that make a huge broo-ha-ha about it :roll:

sms316
29th November 2009, 06:55 AM
Am i right also in saying that the offender in Melbourne was a professional photographer and not not someone in the gallery ? I'm sure this same thing happens a lot to other pro's, but it's only Tiger and his thug caddy that make a huge broo-ha-ha about it :roll:
You may well be thinking of Ogilvy in Dubai.

Jarro
29th November 2009, 06:59 AM
I was watching that event in Dubai on FoxSports. A lot of times there was movement/noises coming from the gallery, especially for McIlroy and Westwood in the second last round.

You could see they weren't happy about it, yet Ogilvy was the only one who really lost it (probably because he was starting to play crap anyway)

markTHEblake
29th November 2009, 10:10 AM
Tiger should dry his eyes and harden the **** up, his old man would tell him the same thing.

Didn't his father incorporate crowd distraction in his training?

exactly what i was thinking.

perhaps that was more related to maintaining the mental focus after being distracted, smashing the camera person in the face, and then being able to forget all about that and play the shot.

jimandr
29th November 2009, 05:48 PM
There are a number of posters in this thread just asking for copious amounts of noise next time they play with other Ozgolfers.

In my opinion, there is 'expected' noise and 'unexpected' noise, if that makes any sense. In the case of the pro in the tournament, they are definitely not expecting camera clicks in their swing, so they are entitled to blow up if it occurs.

It is a basic courtesy of golf to remain quiet when someone else is swinging.

Minor_Threat
29th November 2009, 06:00 PM
There are a number of posters in this thread just asking for copious amounts of noise next time they play with other Ozgolfers.

In my opinion, there is 'expected' noise and 'unexpected' noise, if that makes any sense. In the case of the pro in the tournament, they are definitely not expecting camera clicks in their swing, so they are entitled to blow up if it occurs.

It is a basic courtesy of golf to remain quiet when someone else is swinging.Well said Jim.. My thoughts exactly!

Hux
29th November 2009, 07:31 PM

Always expect the razzing playing with Ozgolfers....would never expect less.

3oneday
29th November 2009, 08:18 PM
So what is a bird noise in that simple categorisation ? Bad luck ?

Russell
29th November 2009, 11:12 PM
i play with some people who just love to blame a bit of noise on a bad shot.
played with a guy who hit tee shot of bounds, immeadiately dropped his club and started swearing that he knew he should have waited b4 hitting .
upon questioning it appears he was put off by a moterbike.my partner and i strained to hear a dirt bike about 2kms in the distance

AndyP
29th November 2009, 11:18 PM
Who really gets put of by a noise in the middle of a backswing? Surely you are focusing too much on the shot at hand to be distracted by something else. I know I am in the "silent" sports (tennis and cricket).

PeteyD
30th November 2009, 07:07 AM
The butterflies in the next paddock are always annoying.

Nothing worse than having to fart when someone has addressed the ball, particularly someone like AndyLo. Can take some effort to hold them in ;)

Iain
30th November 2009, 07:12 AM
I know a few times I've had a bird almost hit my club on the backswing and I didn't even notice, my playing partners had to tell me it happened.

sms316
30th November 2009, 07:40 AM
Who really gets put of by a noise in the middle of a backswing? Surely you are focusing too much on the shot at hand to be distracted by something else. I know I am in the "silent" sports (tennis and cricket).
AndyP appeared to be put off by some "background noise" when he hit his opening tee shot at the Champs this year.

:wink:

razaar
30th November 2009, 08:28 AM
Nah, there was dead silence from the time he addressed the ball until the ball finished 60 metres left of where he intended it. Dead set choke from the start.

Tongueboy
1st December 2009, 10:21 AM
Greg Norman. Remember his topped drive when playing with The Golden Bear and he said a worm popped its head up and put him off. SNM

Courty
1st December 2009, 10:37 PM
I know a few times I've had a bird almost hit my club on the backswing and I didn't even notice, my playing partners had to tell me it happened.

Shouldn't have hit it into the chicken coop in the first place!

markTHEblake
1st December 2009, 10:53 PM
Greg Norman. Remember his topped drive when playing with The Golden Bear and he said a worm popped its head up and put him off. SNM

Yes I remember
He topped his drive on the first hole of the tournament playing with Jack Nicklaus in the Australian Open at Kensington (or another sydney course, think was a par 5) and was possibly playing in his first open as he was very young. There was no worm there.

The worm pop up incident occured in the UK at Sunningdale, after he predicted someone was goingto shoot 59 (or something like that) because the course was playing so easily, and he didnt shoot 59.

There was nothing prima donna about saying that. He was asked at the press conference and he told em, its not as if he pranced around on the tee, swearing his head off and abusing the worm, causing injury and suffering.

ozdevil
5th December 2009, 08:23 AM
I do not think it is the sound of the shutter going off at all

I think it would be more concern with camera flash then the shutter noise...as no one can stop noise from happening at all totally.

I would be annoyed as well if i was playing professionally and as i was about to strike the ball and suddenly caught the flash of a camera..

With point n shoot cameras most people take shots in the automatic setting cos it is easier then playing around manually with settings and the camera flash will go off according to the light conditions that is surrounding them

yes they may hear and be put of by the shutter noise but i think on that they need to get over that as professionals but if it is flash well they have every right to be the prima donna

cheers
oz

GolfBallWhackerGuy
7th December 2009, 09:48 AM
On the 18th tee last Saturday, one of the professional photographers were off to the left and took a shot as Daly started to address the ball for his actually shot. It was quite a loud "click" bcoz it was so silent. I guess that would make someone flinch. I didnt see a flash. But Daly calmly took a step back and re-did his routine. The photographer got a blasting from Daly's caddie though.