PDA

View Full Version : Worst finishing hole, you've played.

Ferrins
27th November 2009, 06:03 PM
Claremont Tasmania. Par 4, that's a bomb and a wedge to a pretty flat open green.

adlo
27th November 2009, 06:04 PM
The Cut, #18. Stupid par 5 with a dumb blind drive that feeds golf balls into the bush and a crappy bunkered 2nd shot and a stupid elevated green.

Competition over.

MegaWatty
27th November 2009, 06:13 PM
The Lakes...as per Best thread.

Pieface
27th November 2009, 06:14 PM
The Cut #17. You don't bother playing the 18th after that.

adlo
27th November 2009, 06:16 PM
Good point Pieface, worse #17-#18 combo ever.

parlyboy
27th November 2009, 06:17 PM
When your playing super well, its a given you scramble for a double or worse on the last. Dont know why it happens, it just does.

WBennett
27th November 2009, 06:19 PM
Worst Finishing Holes

Jaoquin is spot on the the Cut. 18 is rubbish
Tasmania GC's 18 was an ordinary finish to an otherwise very good course

TourFit
27th November 2009, 07:24 PM
'Nother vote for The Cut....!!!

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2009, 07:31 PM
And another!

Yossarian
27th November 2009, 08:30 PM
Yep, def the worst I've played.

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 08:42 PM
National Ocean's is pretty rediculous

ParMaster
27th November 2009, 08:44 PM
Whats so rediculous about it Moe?

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 09:09 PM
It's 445m into a prevailing wind, with a tight landing zone flanked by bunkers and a slope severe enough to have your ball roll backwards away from your 200+ uphill appoach to a difficult green.

Here is a review of the hole from a member of the Nash

18 - Sorry I had to compose myself. Had a fit of the giggles. On a positive note it worked well as a driving range for a long drive comp one day when they put a tee up left of the clubhouse and you hit it over the green towards the tee. Off the tee there is a shelf about 260 out on the left side about 6ft square. Land it there or it drains back towards you and to the right just to make things easy. From the shelf you are left with an easy 190m shot into a crowned green. There is a LOT of slope on the front of the green. In the club champs a few years ago I was amazed to see the A Grade medalist hit 3 iron off the tee. When I asked why his response was simple. There is nowhere to land the driver, the shot in with anything more than wedge is near impossible and 3 iron took making 8 out of the equation. "

http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchair/images/wallpaper/normal/640/05w39.jpg

sms316
27th November 2009, 09:16 PM
18 at Pelican was up there. Not sure it would be the worst, but it is up there nonetheless.

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 09:24 PM
It would be ok if they didn't have the stupid rough and cart path punishing a good drive on a long hole.

ParMaster
27th November 2009, 10:18 PM
Ahh I confused the 18th Old with Ocean. Why don't they just make it a par 5?

Fishman Dan
27th November 2009, 10:28 PM
Bayview (old 18th).
Spring Valley (Vic). Don't mind this course, but the last looks like they ran out of imagination.

ParMaster
27th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Nice one Fish. I think the new 18th will be one of the worst finishes.

Any update on the hole and new teeing area virge?

henno
27th November 2009, 10:44 PM
In the absence of being able to think of anything really bad, I'll throw in the par 3 18th at Nudgee South. Don't get me wrong, I like Nudgee South (more than the North course) but starting and finishing with par 3s is just strange.

Dotty
27th November 2009, 10:52 PM
Has Jono seen this thread ?

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2009, 11:30 PM
The hole that Moe posted looks fantastic. After reading his write up, I can see that it is not. Unfortunate.

BrisVegas
28th November 2009, 02:14 PM
Kooralbyn Valley's "new" 18th. 400m and you have to lay up off the tee, then carry it 200m+ on the second. The should have just found another 20m and made it a risk/reward par 5.

Moe Norman
28th November 2009, 02:45 PM
Ahh I confused the 18th Old with Ocean. Why don't they just make it a par 5?

Changing the Par score on the hole wouldn't make it any better, it would still be rubbish.

PeteyD
28th November 2009, 06:13 PM
The new 18th at KV was pretty crappy.

Grunt
28th November 2009, 06:21 PM
Have to agree about 18 at KV but as a hacker I never contemplated getting there in 2 so if played properly it was a par 5 for me anyway. I dont think I got 5 there but I tried too.

petethepilot
28th November 2009, 10:23 PM
The 18th at the ocean can play pretty stupid. It is too tight a drive for an uphill drive of 445m. If they cleaned up the left on the ridge and shortened it to the blues it would be a cracker. (the drive wouldn't be wider than 20 m at the moment at driver distance)

i don't know how the 8th at Barnbougle hasn't been mentioned. A great course with the most bizzare hole, especially with the availability of another dune top driving tee. I played it 2 iron, 8 iron, 8 iron (par 4) Huh!

Pete

Moe Norman
28th November 2009, 10:25 PM
it asn't been mentioned because its the 8th!

petethepilot
28th November 2009, 10:39 PM
Bugger!:oops:

petethepilot
28th November 2009, 11:54 PM
OK then Moe, I got my maths wrong (but only by one number!;)). How about the 18th at Lake Karrinyup WA. A gazzilion yards long with a blind drive up over a huge hill to the worst green, Mike Clayton has ever designed. It must have 4 levels on it but only about 2 usable pin positions. Not liked by the members at ALL!!!!

Pete8)

goughy
29th November 2009, 10:26 AM
18th at City! I mean, 400+ par 4, downhill drive with 2 huge bunkers middle right where the shorter hitters will have their balls roll down and funnel into them, the medium hitters will land in them and the long hitters will just blast over them. And fairway bunkers with huge front lips so forget about taking a long iron out of them at the green! Seriously, who does that shit!!! ;)

AndyP
29th November 2009, 02:10 PM
In the absence of being able to think of anything really bad, I'll throw in the par 3 18th at Nudgee South. Don't get me wrong, I like Nudgee South (more than the North course) but starting and finishing with par 3s is just strange.It's practical to have the start and finish from the clubhouse, and there's no room for anything else, I would assume.

I've had a look through the courses I've played, and I think the following courses have ordinary finishing holes (that I can remember).
Kooralbyn Valley
Beerwah
Riverlakes
Gainsborough Greens

PeteyD
29th November 2009, 08:12 PM
Oh yea Poo Lakes is a shocker. Just waiting to kill someone.

What do you not like about 18 at Gainsborough AP?

AndyP
29th November 2009, 08:22 PM
Let me just Google Earth to refresh my memory.......
After the drive my options were to either try to clear the water, a 200m shot, or layup with a 9I. This seemed a bit extreme.

PeteyD
29th November 2009, 08:46 PM
It is a par 5, and there is an option to go right (which is so silly you probably don't realise it is there). I quite enjoy the hole as it is short enough to tempt you to have a go on the second if you hit a half decent first shot.

Daves
29th November 2009, 08:59 PM
It is a par 5, and there is an option to go right (which is so silly you probably don't realise it is there). I quite enjoy the hole as it is short enough to tempt you to have a go on the second if you hit a half decent first shot.

It is all about risk/reward. Most golfers with a half reasonable drive can contemplate going for the green if they are game, but it is high risk for most.

AndyP
29th November 2009, 09:18 PM
I believe I had no option, therefore my dislike for the hole.

PeteyD
29th November 2009, 09:31 PM
Bunters anon. There is a bailout on the right, around the trees at the edge of the water. Man up!

markTHEblake
29th November 2009, 09:43 PM
Let me just Google Earth to refresh my memory.......
After the drive my options were to either try to clear the water, a 200m shot, or layup with a 9I. This seemed a bit extreme.

You hit a 280m drive?

Moe Norman
29th November 2009, 09:44 PM
I believe I had no option, therefore my dislike for the hole.
play from the reds

AndyP
29th November 2009, 10:08 PM
Bunters anon. There is a bailout on the right, around the trees at the edge of the water. Man up!Should I mention now that I played it at the same time as g69?

You hit a 280m drive?Unlikely. We played off blue markers apparently (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6588). If you keep reading the thread, you'll see we lost a shitload of balls between us, but I think we were having a crack just for the hell of it. That's my excuse anyway. My opinion still stands.

markTHEblake
29th November 2009, 10:27 PM
Unlikely. We played off blue markers apparently (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6588). If you keep reading the thread, you'll see we lost a shitload of balls between us, but I think we were having a crack just for the hell of it.

its a 472m hole. so unless you hit it 280 (ok 270 cos i guessed), you had nowhere near 200m to the green.

Probably explains the lost balls then, not to mention a golf ball doesn't travel as far over water, unless humidity is next to nothing.

AndyP
29th November 2009, 10:30 PM
Maybe not. I said 200m from a quick Google look. If that's the case it was never ever ever an option, and I had to use my 9 iron for my second shot.

Nuffie
30th November 2009, 12:40 AM
The Cut, #18. Stupid par 5 with a dumb blind drive that feeds golf balls into the bush and a crappy bunkered 2nd shot and a stupid elevated green.

Competition over.

Couldn't agree more - hit a perfect drive and also ended up in that sh1t, so here's another vote for the 18th at The Cut.

adlo
30th November 2009, 01:46 AM
Petethepilot, the 18th green at Lake Karrinyup has been reconstructed.

Can we have an new OZgolf banner.... "The Cut #18, officially the worst finishing hole in Australia"

PeteyD
30th November 2009, 07:02 AM
its a 472m hole. so unless you hit it 280 (ok 270 cos i guessed), you had nowhere near 200m to the green.

Probably explains the lost balls then, not to mention a golf ball doesn't travel as far over water, unless humidity is next to nothing.

I'd be pretty sure it doesn't play to that length if you go over the water for your second. I'll have to install google earth on this machine to have a look. I can understand why people think it is a dog, but it is a par 5 so a 3 shotter.

goughy
30th November 2009, 07:33 AM
18th at City! I mean, 400+ par 4, downhill drive with 2 huge bunkers middle right where the shorter hitters will have their balls roll down and funnel into them, the medium hitters will land in them and the long hitters will just blast over them. And fairway bunkers with huge front lips so forget about taking a long iron out of them at the green! Seriously, who does that shit!!! ;)

I'm really upset that my troll didn't get a bite! :cry:

BrisVegas
30th November 2009, 08:54 AM
i thought that 18th at City was done long before g69 became involved.

ParMaster
30th November 2009, 09:21 AM
Adlo do you have any pics of the 18th at the Cut?

Jarro
30th November 2009, 09:54 AM
18th at City isn't that bad a hole goughy :roll:

petethepilot
30th November 2009, 10:03 AM
Adlo, I played it only 4 months ago. Has it been redone since then? If so, I'm sure the club thought highly of their investment in the clayton green as it would have only been 12 months old.

Pete

Bruce
30th November 2009, 11:50 AM
Riverlakes has so many awful points it must win.

Ridiculous bend around housing. Powerlines. Boring green complex.

AWFUL!

senecio
30th November 2009, 01:00 PM
And to top it off, 18 isn't the worst hole on Riverlakes.

Bruce Dickinson
30th November 2009, 01:18 PM
Adlo, I played it only 4 months ago. Has it been redone since then? If so, I'm sure the club thought highly of their investment in the clayton green as it would have only been 12 months old.

Pete
It was dug up about 4 weeks ago

goughy
30th November 2009, 01:23 PM
i thought that 18th at City was done long before g69 became involved.

18th at City isn't that bad a hole goughy :roll:

I had nothing to do with 18 @ City.
I don't think its that bad.
I don't defend my previous boss any more.

Hey, I was just trying to have some fun!! It's a tough as hole into the wind, and a fair finishing hole down wind.

But that 3rd hole... It's shithouse!!

OK, I lie. Actually last two pro-ams I played there the pro's said it was their favourite hole on the course.

just
30th November 2009, 01:33 PM
It was dug up about 4 weeks ago
Bruce
What was the reason they dug it up, if it was reasonably new?

adlo
30th November 2009, 02:43 PM
Adlo do you have any pics of the 18th at the Cut?
Sorry, I don't. Someone else might have.

Bruce
What was the reason they dug it up, if it was reasonably new?

Too many complaints from members.

just
30th November 2009, 02:54 PM
Didn't they get the education leaflet that told them how great Clayt's reno work is?

adlo
30th November 2009, 03:04 PM
Didn't they get the education leaflet that told them how great Clayt's reno work is?

LKCC members are too important to waste time reading.

WBennett
30th November 2009, 03:32 PM
Pup

Photo below from the green. The furthest point away in the photo is the fairway, which runs at about a 30 degree angle from the tee. What you see from the tee is a saddle to aim between. You land in the saddle and it kicks hard left and you take an unplayable or its lost.

So instead you have to bomb ove the crap to the blind fairway, over the dune right, and hope you nail it for the carry and cross your fingers it doesn't kick left off the massive slope to be lost or unplayable left.

I've only played there once, but once was enough to know it (and 17) are stupid, stupid holes.

http://www.the-cut.com.au/images/stories/18.jpg

Yossarian
30th November 2009, 04:07 PM
The second shot is pretty bloody stupid as well. Dumb hole.

idgolfguy
30th November 2009, 05:03 PM
Looks great but that's about all.

markTHEblake
30th November 2009, 07:05 PM
But that 3rd hole... It's shithouse!!

It measured at a little over 400m in the Qld PGA. I cant beleive its that long from the back tee there??

I would be thinking more like 350-360.

goughy
30th November 2009, 09:00 PM
Stuffs me MTB. I haven't played there in ages, but I thought it was like 360. G69 would know. But I guess it's old length was 350 and it's been pushed longer. It mostly seems like it plays down wind and always feels 20mtrs shorter to me.

adlo
30th November 2009, 09:13 PM
Pup

Photo below from the green. The furthest point away in the photo is the fairway, which runs at about a 30 degree angle from the tee. What you see from the tee is a saddle to aim between. You land in the saddle and it kicks hard left and you take an unplayable or its lost.

So instead you have to bomb ove the crap to the blind fairway, over the dune right, and hope you nail it for the carry and cross your fingers it doesn't kick left off the massive slope to be lost or unplayable left.

I've only played there once, but once was enough to know it (and 17) are stupid, stupid holes.

http://www.the-cut.com.au/images/stories/18.jpg
Benno, many thanks for coming through with a good pic.

I have also attached a pic of the approach to the uphill green.

I have edited WB's pic. The arrow shows the line you need to take right off the tee to avoid rolling into the scrub left (indicated by a circle on the photo). The problem is, if you go even a touch too far right, you lose a ball right.

I also managed to find a pic of the tee shot.

Really, the only way to play this hole without losing a golf ball, is 4 or 5 iron off the tee down the left side, and leave yourself 380m left to negotiate stupid bunkering.

While "The Cut" looks photogenic, it really must be played to be believed. Horrible stuff.

Tee shot:
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/adlo_2009/Picture2-4.png

Benno's pic, edited:
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/adlo_2009/18.jpg

The approach:
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/adlo_2009/Picture1-9.png

I wonder if linkslover will come back to discuss? :lol:

Yossarian
30th November 2009, 09:27 PM
I hope he does. It is a shit hole. Impossible to justify.

ParMaster
30th November 2009, 09:58 PM
Cheers adlo/benno.

petethepilot
30th November 2009, 10:21 PM
And 17 is even worse!! How to f@ck up a perfect risk/reward situation. I can't beleve you would pull off 1 shot in a hundred going for the green. (result - lost ball) yet I hit 5 iron off the tee on the conservative play and still nearly lost the ball over the hill on the left. a mate hit 8 iron - STUPID! That course could have been anything as 16 is one of the best par 3's in the country!

Pete (score 71 with a lost ball on the first but still walked off frustrated at the course)

Yossarian
30th November 2009, 10:23 PM
Worst course ever. With some amazing holes to almost make me wanna go back and play it again.

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 10:32 PM
And 17 is even worse!! How to f@ck up a perfect risk/reward situation. I can't beleve you would pull off 1 shot in a hundred going for the green. (result - lost ball) yet I hit 5 iron off the tee on the conservative play and still nearly lost the ball over the hill on the left. a mate hit 8 iron - STUPID! That course could have been anything as 16 is one of the best par 3's in the country!

Pete (score 71 with a lost ball on the first but still walked off frustrated at the course)
Agree 100%. I hit 3 wood and 7 iron on separate occasions and finished 230m into the same bunker on 17.

18 is impossible to get to in 2. I can get the distance, but impossible to hold the elevated green. Over in 2, end result of a wipe.

Meadow Springs 18 is a pretty poor finisher.

Short par 5 that is pretty much a lay up off the tee. The fairway area is about 80 percent bunkers, 20 percent grass. You can't even see a landing area to aim for. I always just hit as far as I can on my second and take whatever bunker my ball chooses to stop in.

Come to think of it, 17 is crap as well.

Bruce Dickinson
30th November 2009, 10:44 PM
looks like on 18 at the Cut you just need to aim at the left hand side of the crane and hit a powerfade...don't see what the problem is

adlo
30th November 2009, 10:51 PM
You will lose it if you do not execute with 100% accuracy. The fairway feeds balls into the scrub. Even those drives that hit the fairway.

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2009, 10:53 PM
The best tee shot is when you hit it so far right that you think you're dead and you get up to find it nicely in the left rough.

Bruce Dickinson
30th November 2009, 10:55 PM
You will lose it if you do not execute with 100% accuracy. The fairway feeds balls into the scrub. Even those drives that hit the fairway.
no problem for the launcher 330

Yossarian
30th November 2009, 10:55 PM
Exactly what I did. I hit a big ghey fade over the arrow in adlo's pic and found it fairway left. What The ****??

adlo
30th November 2009, 11:29 PM
no problem for the launcher 330
:smt038

This is the magic stick!!

Exactly what I did. I hit a big ghey fade over the arrow in adlo's pic and found it fairway left. What The ****??

Another example of how the contours of the land at The Cut suck.