PDA

View Full Version : R9 TP iron mini, mini, mini review!

drnick
25th November 2009, 01:14 PM
My R9 TP iron mini, mini, mini review!

Santa Visa/Mastercard brought me an early Christmas present for myself this morning -

http://drnick.com.au/pics/misc/r9stuff.jpg

Just went for a quick hit at the local driving range in my lunch break. I had demoed a 6 iron of these last week and did not mind it and thought I might as well lash out. The demo 6 iron (R9 TP) I had must have had the 120g KBS Tour shaft in it as it was much heavier than the set I just got with the 90g ones. I only took the 3 & 7 irons out as well as my Burner '09 7 iron. First impressions is that miss hits still travel very well. The TP's (7 iron) felt a lot more workable and nicer off the face Vs the 09. Distance was was down a little bit, but I knew that was going to happen due to the buggered up angles of the 09's. I have gone from reg flex to stiff now with the change, but really could not feel a massive difference. The TP (7 iron) felt to launch a little higher.

The 3 iron however tended to launch lower than what my 09 normally would. Still felt not too bad, but a little 'mute' off the face. Seems to be a common thing reading reviews of them.

Overall I am happy with my purchase and will prob move the 09's on now. Whilst I do like the 09's I wanted something with a thinner top line and something I could work the ball a little more with without going to a AP2 type level club. Whilst some don't see the R9 TP's as a true TP iron, I am happy with the step up to part players club, part still need some work club.

Cheers all.

S

drnick
25th November 2009, 02:47 PM
Edit - Just confirmed these are the 120g KBS Tour shafts for sure. I must have been having a weak moment last week!!

S

TourFit
25th November 2009, 02:57 PM
They don't look like the 90g KBS to me...those shafts have a sticker that says Tour 90 under the KBS logo, while your photo says Tour. That means that they are the std 120-130g version.

TM website also has KBS Tour (120-130g) as the stock shaft. The KBS Tour 90's are NOT listed as an option (even on the R9 irons)

If the weight of your test club was significantly heavier, it may have been that the test club was over std length and thus the swingweight will have been higher???

drnick
25th November 2009, 03:00 PM
If the weight of your test club was significantly heavier, it may have been that the test club was over std length and thus the swingweight will have been higher???

I have a feeling it was this. I did not compare it length wise to my 09 6 iron.

Cheers

S

3oneday
25th November 2009, 03:01 PM
Anyway... why did you choose these over the Tour Preferred ?

drnick
25th November 2009, 03:04 PM
Seemed a little more forgiving from my tests. I still miss hit the ball a little too much for my liking. Once kid #2 come in March and we get back to a semi normal life there after I am going to work more on my swing. A set of 'players' irons will be on the cards if/when I can get my crappycap down into the lower teens.

S

adlo
25th November 2009, 05:05 PM
Seemed a little more forgiving from my tests. I still miss hit the ball a little too much for my liking. Once kid #2 come in March and we get back to a semi normal life there after I am going to work more on my swing. A set of 'players' irons will be on the cards if/when I can get my crappycap down into the lower teens.

S

Let me know when that happens...... and I'll nab these. Nice looking sticks!

Jarro
25th November 2009, 05:23 PM
Nice review drnick ..... you've got me wanting a set of these now :)

drnick
26th November 2009, 08:02 AM
Hehehe aldo, shoot me a PM about the Burners. :)

Okay, so I went out for a few more holes last night into the dark and then took the 7 & 9 irons out to the range for a quick wack this morning. I can say that the Burners are going to go!!! The only downside is that I have lost ~1 club length in distance but the extra feel and higher ball flight from the shorter irons has won me over! I was worried about the miss hits but thus far I have been happy with how they still travel.

I will prob regrip them as the OEM grips are a little meh, but I might also need a new glove.

More of a review after my weekends golf!

S

Iain
26th November 2009, 09:37 AM
I had a look at some of these yesterday at drummonds. They look to have quite a thick topline in them, much more so than my vr's and what I can remember of the TP's.

drnick
30th November 2009, 09:26 AM
Okay, so a few rounds of comp later on the weekend and I am very happy with these. The only issue I have is that I have seemed to drop almost 2 club lengths now with these. I knew I would drop 1 club due to angle difference between these and the Burner 09's.

But I am holding more greens now.

S