PDA

View Full Version : Classic Clubs

Daves
25th November 2009, 10:09 AM
Any interest here in classic/vintage clubs?. I know Razaar collects classic putters, amongst other things.

What about a playing set of pre 80s clubs? steel shafts, wooden drivers and not a cavity to been seen anywhere?

I have a set of 60's MacGregor Golden Bears 3 -SW plus 1, 3 & 5 woods. Have just got the irons reshafted and hope to take them for a run shortly.

AndyP
25th November 2009, 10:12 AM
A few people have tried to get a retro clubs only day going, but it hasn't happened so far.

BrisVegas
25th November 2009, 10:16 AM
Dave, if you bring them out to the Brooky Xmas game, I'll play with my old PGF blades and persimmons.

Daves
25th November 2009, 11:07 AM
Dave, if you bring them out to the Brooky Xmas game, I'll play with my old PGF blades and persimmons.

Now that could seriously do your head in:smt101, Brookie kicks my ass with my modern gear! but yeah why not!:D

razaar
25th November 2009, 12:10 PM
Any interest here in classic/vintage clubs?. I know Razaar collects classic putters, amongst other things.

What about a playing set of pre 80s clubs? steel shafts, wooden drivers and not a cavity to been seen anywhere?

I have a set of 60's McGregor Golden Bears 3 -SW plus 1, 3 & 5 woods. Have just got the irons reshafted and hope to take them for a run shortly.
I've a set of 1965 Wilson blades that have only seen a golf course three times, previous owner was the Captain of the USS Brunswick. Have been intending to give them a try out....not sure if Brooky is the place...these clubs look like they could hurt me.

petethepilot
25th November 2009, 04:50 PM
When I'm back up and playing, I will be in for it. I have 2 beautiful persimmon woods (tiny heads) and some 70's/80's vintage Balata balls. My mizuno blades (mp37) aren't a world away from what your guys are talking about playing with.

Regards,

Pete

adlo
25th November 2009, 04:57 PM
I once went to a customers house in the Peppy Grove end of Dalkieth (2nd wealthiest suburb in Perth).

The guy had a "golf room" full of vintage clubs. This room was insane. He had vintage clubs that had been used to win major tournaments etc. All up (including less important collectibe clubs) he would have had 200-300 old clubs.

On top of that, a cap from every golf course he had played (and he had played EVERYWHERE). And to top that, a card signed from a Pro-Am he played at Pebble Beach where he made a hole-in-one! I think he was playing with Stephen Spielberg that day.

Daves
25th November 2009, 06:34 PM
I once went to a customers house in the Peppy Grove end of Dalkieth (2nd wealthiest suburb in Perth).

The guy had a "golf room" full of vintage clubs. This room was insane. He had vintage clubs that had been used to win major tournaments etc. All up (including less important collectibe clubs) he would have had 200-300 old clubs.

On top of that, a cap from every golf course he had played (and he had played EVERYWHERE). And to top that, a card signed from a Pro-Am he played at Pebble Beach where he made a hole-in-one! I think he was playing with Stephen Spielberg that day.

Now that would be something to see!.

Has anyone been to Tom Moore's museum at Granville? Is it worth a visit?

Grunt
25th November 2009, 06:37 PM
Now that would be something to see!.

Has anyone been to Tom Moore's museum at Granville? Is it worth a visit?

Is that the one in Golf Mart?

Daves
25th November 2009, 06:40 PM
Is that the one in Golf Mart?

I think so, Denis Brosnan has provided the premises for it I believe so that makes sense.

markTHEblake
25th November 2009, 06:43 PM

collecting old clubs is one thing, but having something that is actually worth something is another. For the most part, the older clubs are just scrap metal.

The thing I wonder is where do all the old clubs go?

I often wander around in the old shops and check out the rusty collections in the corner, i see a lot of completely unknown crap, but hardly ever do I see popular brands from the 70's and 80's.

Given the popularity of PGF for a long time there should be tons of them.

razaar
25th November 2009, 06:54 PM
I have a mate who is a fanatic collector of all things associated with golf. His collection is amazing; I blame him for starting me on a similar path. Fortunately I ceased collecting a few years ago when I lost the bug and what I have kept are conversation pieces.
These are pics of the Wilson blade heads and grip. Also a few persimmon woods that really need a run.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo283/bennie_065/wilsoncrest004.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo283/bennie_065/wilsoncrest005.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo283/bennie_065/oldclubs001.jpg

Daves
25th November 2009, 06:57 PM
I have a club maker mate who tells me he has lots of vintage clubs. I haven't seen them yet but gather that he is looking to move most of them on, so will find out what he has.

markTHEblake
25th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Please Ask your mate if he has the original PGF Steel Eagle. Would like to see a photo of them.

can barely remember what they looked like, no doubt my perception that they were 'sweet looking' back then means they are ugly compared to what we have now.

Ferrins
25th November 2009, 07:05 PM
Got a set of Ben Hogans by Slazenger and I would be keen to play a vintage golf day.

Oldplayer
25th November 2009, 09:11 PM
I have a small collection of newer classic clubs including Macgregor muirfield 20th, Wilson fg17's and fg51, Titleist tour model '85, 70's complete set (irons and woods) of unplayed Jack Nicklaus Macgregors, Greg Norman signiture Cobra blades, Cleveland 588T's,84 powerbilt citation anniversary blades, old maxfli australian blades and also a set (1,3,5) of Joe Powell handmade persimmons which were the best going in the day.
I have bagged and played most of these for at least a short time. They are fun to use but not the best day to day gamers. I would love to give them a run at an old school game day. I understand it happens quite a bit in the States.

henno
26th November 2009, 08:33 AM
Please Ask your mate if he has the original PGF Steel Eagle. Would like to see a photo of them.

can barely remember what they looked like, no doubt my perception that they were 'sweet looking' back then means they are ugly compared to what we have now.

These?

http://imgur.com/vD4q4s.png (http://imgur.com/vD4q4.jpg) http://imgur.com/hppEjs.png (http://imgur.com/hppEj.jpg) http://imgur.com/tIWcPs.png (http://imgur.com/tIWcP.jpg)

They look very Hogan Apex Pro-ish

Daves
26th November 2009, 08:41 AM
Noice henno, yours?

What would be good Brissy course to play a classic clubs tourney on? Not too long, one that demands shot making over distance. Suggestions?

BrisVegas
26th November 2009, 08:42 AM
What would be good Brissy course to play a classic clubs tourney on? Not too long, one that demands shot making over distance. Suggestions?

Brookwater off the golds. Sunday 13th December 7:00am.

henno
26th November 2009, 08:44 AM
Noice henno, yours?

Nope. I'm gonna swing past cashies today though, as well as trawl the local rag.

Daves
26th November 2009, 08:58 AM
Brookwater off the golds. Sunday 13th December 7:00am.

I am taking the MacGregors to the range this arvo to start practicing;)

BrisVegas
26th November 2009, 09:00 AM
take some strapping and deep heat gel. :wink:

razaar
26th November 2009, 09:24 AM
Noice henno, yours?

Nice set and bag henno. Reddy Bay would be ideal Dave.

petethepilot
26th November 2009, 10:54 AM
(I know this isn't the Pro shop but whilst we are talking classic clubs) but If someone would like to buy my Persimmon driver to use at brooky, give me a PM. I am buying a new one with more loft as I don't hit it very high! I'm certainly not going to lend it as the head is small and the finish perfect.

Cleveland Classic 9 degree Persimmon Tour driver DG S300 (new) and new Lampkin cord grip

I want to play in the match at Brooky:smt013

Must be patient, must be patient

Pete

petethepilot
26th November 2009, 10:56 AM
A new one means a new 'Old' one off the Bay!

terrys
26th November 2009, 12:21 PM
I play a set of Spalding Greg Norman blades from 1980. I've never hit the ball better. I think they make me concentrate more.

I'm about to put some KBS shafts in a set of Spalding Custom Crafted blades, the ones Norman used when he won his first British Open.

wazandnic
26th November 2009, 12:38 PM
Will be interesting to see how the old heads perform with the new shafts Terry?

markTHEblake
26th November 2009, 07:19 PM

These?

http://imgur.com/tIWcPs.png (http://imgur.com/tIWcP.jpg)

Nope, that looks like Version 2 which came out in 84
The ones I had were the originals and didnt have any cavity, much like a modern mizuno blade, had a tough looking eagle logo and no poofy pink paint fill either

Webster
26th November 2009, 07:22 PM
pete, how much do you want for that Cleveland Classic?

Pippolo
27th November 2009, 12:47 AM
I'd be happy to play a retro game.

holmesy-XLS
28th November 2009, 10:06 PM
Did slazengers have everyones name on em' cos i have a set of slazenger nicklaus golden bear mk.iv's that my dad used and now i use :S

oncewasagolfer
29th November 2009, 10:17 AM
You cant beat the look of the persimmon headed woods and blade irons. I have a macgregor 1w in the shed somewhere and a set of maxfli australian blades and currently play mizuno mp33 blades.

Daves
29th November 2009, 10:48 AM
take some strapping and deep heat gel. :wink:

I didn't manage to get to the range on Thursday, but had a long session with the MacGregors yesterday. Boy was it humid!, went through 3 gloves, all finished totally saturated.

I hit them reasonably well, but they are close to 2 clubs in distance shorter than my gamers. I expected about 1 club because the lofts are weaker, but the stiff shafts have me a little shorter also I think, but very straight which was a positive. Also the reshafts have been done at std length, rather than +1/2" which my gamers are, so the 6i is the same length as my 8i gamer. Might have to get him to fix that at some stage. The 4w and 5w were good, 1w a bit variable. I might add the 3w out of another set and perhaps my 1 iron. Putter will probably be my old PGF Ping clone from the same era.

Thinking now about what ball I should use?

PeteyD
29th November 2009, 11:22 AM
Get some Hot Dots!

razaar
29th November 2009, 01:35 PM
No brainer - Vision.

terrys
29th November 2009, 02:15 PM
I hit them reasonably well, but they are close to 2 clubs in distance shorter than my gamers. I expected about 1 club because the lofts are weaker, but the stiff shafts have me a little shorter also I think, but very straight which was a positive.

I found the same thing due to the weaker lofts, Dave.

I was playing 21* hybrid, then 4-PW, then 50, 54

Now I play 21* hybrid, 3-9, 50, 54.

Will be interesting to see how the old heads perform with the new shafts Terry?

yeah, I'm wondering the same thing, Waz. Don't think it should be a problem at all though. I'll probably get to it next week. I'll pull the heads this afternoon while I'm reshafting some putters. That'll inspire me to get it done for next week.

Pippolo
29th November 2009, 04:14 PM
I didn't manage to get to the range on Thursday, but had a long session with the MacGregors yesterday. Boy was it humid!, went through 3 gloves, all finished totally saturated.

I hit them reasonably well, but they are close to 2 clubs in distance shorter than my gamers. I expected about 1 club because the lofts are weaker, but the stiff shafts have me a little shorter also I think, but very straight which was a positive. Also the reshafts have been done at std length, rather than +1/2" which my gamers are, so the 6i is the same length as my 8i gamer. Might have to get him to fix that at some stage. The 4w and 5w were good, 1w a bit variable. I might add the 3w out of another set and perhaps my 1 iron. Putter will probably be my old PGF Ping clone from the same era.

Thinking now about what ball I should use?

Daves, I asked Boz about that and he suggested the Gel series. Also the UV are ok but he said the Gel is softer and therefore better for the persimmon woods.

At the TRGA last year the ball of choice was the Srixon soft feel but some players were not impressed by the lack of spin. They're now looking at the Precept or Lady Pearl something...
I think the GEL has more spin that that Srixon but I might leave that to Boz. If that's the case Boz you might have your balls in play at the next TRGA tournament?:mrgreen:

petethepilot
29th November 2009, 08:23 PM
For persimmon woods, you need a high spinning ball as the weight lies behind the centre of the face. The change in weight positioning is one of the big advantages new generation clubs enjoy.

Pete

Daves
29th November 2009, 08:52 PM
No brainer - Vision.

Of course8-), but which model?

For persimmon woods, you need a high spinning ball as the weight lies behind the centre of the face. The change in weight positioning is one of the big advantages new generation clubs enjoy.

Pete

That was my understanding Pete, hence the question because the UVs I use are low spin.

Daves, I asked Boz about that and he suggested the Gel series. Also the UV are ok but he said the Gel is softer and therefore better for the persimmon woods.

At the TRGA last year the ball of choice was the Srixon soft feel but some players were not impressed by the lack of spin. They're now looking at the Precept or Lady Pearl something...
I think the GEL has more spin that that Srixon but I might leave that to Boz. If that's the case Boz you might have your balls in play at the next TRGA tournament?:mrgreen:

Thanks for asking the man Pip. I was thinking Gel or X2/X3.

razaar
29th November 2009, 10:22 PM
Of course8-), but which model?
Not sure it matters Dave, have a feeling you may not be able to tell the difference with the older clubs. All the Visions I have hit seem to be low compression. I'm going with the X3.

petethepilot
1st December 2009, 10:52 AM
Daves,

If you are over my way (Sinnamon Park) I will give you a sleeve of Royal Maxfli Balata's. Best ball made until the Pro V made them obsolete.

Regards,

Pete

Daves
1st December 2009, 11:25 AM
Daves,

If you are over my way (Sinnamon Park) I will give you a sleeve of Royal Maxfli Balata's. Best ball made until the Pro V made them obsolete.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete, might take you up on that offer when I get the chance. Yell out when you are starting to get around again if want a cart ride around a golf course on an Ozgolf day sometime.

Ferrins
16th September 2010, 02:18 PM
Noice henno, yours?

Tenterfield would be a great vintage day out.

Irons - Tour Classic stainless steel Irons are hand-forged for the ultimate in feel and playability. Designed to the specifications that top players demand - the Tour Classic blade is ground to place the weight behind the impact area. Featuring a clear, thin top line and straight leading edge, Brosnan Tour Classic Irons give a thoroughly satisfying feel at impact. Available : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Pitching Wedge and Sand Iron.

I just scored a set of these with DG R200U and new Lamkin cord grips for $40 at Cashies

razaar
16th September 2010, 05:20 PM
Excellent idea.

golf2013
15th July 2013, 10:30 PM

These the first series?

markTHEblake
16th July 2013, 06:39 AM
Pretty sure it is. First model was a shiney simple chrome blade. 2nd model was a satin finish and from memory too complex a design to be forged.

davepuppies
16th July 2013, 08:27 AM
I would love a set of DP30s.......

golf2013
16th July 2013, 12:50 PM
Pretty sure it is. First model was a shiney simple chrome blade. 2nd model was a satin finish and from memory too complex a design to be forged.
Apparently the set I have used to be Alex Mercers.

Peppas
16th July 2013, 12:57 PM
I would love a set of DP30s.......

I used to have a set... I sold them to Rod Morri :)

cantchip
5th February 2018, 09:25 AM
Don't know if these clubs meet the definition of 'classic' but I found them while doing a bit of clean up on the parents farm. There is a 5iron and a putter. Clubs made by Slazenger. Look like they have been cut down for a kid to use. As a reference the 5iron is 28 & 1/2 inches. Anyone know if they are of any value or worth restoring?

spanner039
5th February 2018, 12:46 PM
Don't know if these clubs meet the definition of 'classic' but I found them while doing a bit of clean up on the parents farm. There is a 5iron and a putter. Clubs made by Slazenger. Look like they have been cut down for a kid to use. As a reference the 5iron is 28 & 1/2 inches. Anyone know if they are of any value or worth restoring?

really short answer is no
Long answer the reason that they were cut down in the first place is that they are worthless

cantchip
5th February 2018, 01:02 PM
really short answer is noLong answer the reason that they were cut down in the first place is that they are worthless Thanks mate. Thought as much.

Daves
24th May 2020, 10:00 AM
Mark Crossfield is doing retro testing on classic irons. This one is the all time classic success story, the Ping Eye 2s. I have 3 sets of them, including a Becu set and totally agree with him. Coyote Ugly, but effective as all hell still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhT8rAB6U0

Webster
24th May 2020, 10:38 AM
Easily the best perimeter weighted irons of all time. My BeCu set still gets a regular run on the links.

Hatchman
24th May 2020, 02:28 PM
I’ve got a set of BeCu iron I’ve played a few rounds with and tbh I can’t see what all the fuss is.
Didn’t wow or excite me. I swing weighted mine out of curiosity and found they are heaps lighter than what I prefer.

damoocow
24th May 2020, 08:14 PM
I bought a set of these off Ferrins maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Couldn't get on with the 3-9 irons at all but the gap and sand wedges are amazing - still have the wedges in my bag.

Kelsey86
24th May 2020, 09:27 PM
Got a random set of different old clubs at my olds house. I think some of them were dad's aunt's clubs. A couple of the irons have what look like wooden shafts, and dimpled faces rather than the grooves. I used them myself when I first played around 2000/01 until I got a matching set, which I'm still using now. I'll have to get some pics next time I'm around there.

Planet Golf
28th May 2020, 02:06 PM
What are the specs on the BeCu's Hatchman? This is an easy bit of cash for you on this forum...

I’ve got a set of BeCu iron I’ve played a few rounds with and tbh I can’t see what all the fuss is.
Didn’t wow or excite me. I swing weighted mine out of curiosity and found they are heaps lighter than what I prefer.

Hatchman
28th May 2020, 02:35 PM
What are the specs on the BeCu's Hatchman? This is an easy bit of cash for you on this forum...

BeCu Ping Eye 2+ 3-9iron.
Not For Sale, neither is anything else in this rack.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200528/dc1b5bbdb00aefae282e35af080e2a19.jpg

thecollective
28th May 2020, 02:49 PM
The best way to restore the BeCu is cleaning vinegar with a splash of CLR clear. Coke is ok but leaves residue and not as effective

I can get mine looking brand new with this formula; that is until I take them out for another round.

Planet Golf
28th May 2020, 02:55 PM
This is awesome, but if I tried the same I would be stabbed with a shiv by the wife

BeCu Ping Eye 2+ 3-9iron.
Not For Sale, neither is anything else in this rack.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200528/dc1b5bbdb00aefae282e35af080e2a19.jpg

Captain Nemo
28th May 2020, 04:21 PM
Mark Crossfield is doing retro testing on classic irons. This one is the all time classic success story, the Ping Eye 2s. I have 3 sets of them, including a Becu set and totally agree with him. Coyote Ugly, but effective as all hell still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhT8rAB6U0

Just bought a set of these!
2-PW, missing 4 iron.
Tweaked lofts and lies.
Cut and bent the 2, 3 to play 3, 4 iron length and specs, simples!
New Grips and they are ready to go....
Old schools where it’s at during #Rona