PDA

View Full Version : Nickent is GORN

pt73
24th November 2009, 06:10 PM
From GolfWRX:

Nickent Golf shutters its doors

By Gene Yasuda November 19, 2009 5:15 p.m.

Nickent Golf, which just a few years ago gained acclaim for its popular hybrid clubs, is preparing to liquidate its business.

Struggling with cash-flow issues since the first quarter of this year, Nickent’s mercurial run in the equipment market has come to an end.

“Our bank has refused to fund any future operations of the company,” John Hoeflich, Nickent’s president, told Golfweek on Nov. 19. He said the company has been in receivership since May and that when efforts to find additional capital failed, Nickent found itself with no other options.

The equipment maker’s fortunes turned in early 2008 when it made an ill-fated gamble on the nascent adjustable-driver market. Hoping to make inroads into the driver category, Nickent pushed aggressively to be among the first to unveil a conforming driver that could easily swap shafts for immediate play.

At the 2008 PGA Merchandise Show, the company unveiled its adjustable driver package – a clubhead, two shafts and a wrench – for $479. But neither its driver, nor the product category as a whole, captured much consumer interest. Then, in the second half of 2008, the economy tanked. The combination proved fatal for Nickent.

“We bet heavily on the interchangeable shaft concept, and what has happened since is a reflection of the difficult times in the industry,” Hoeflich said. “Banks have made it difficult for those who survive on lines of credit.”

He shared financial data that provides a glimpse of how quickly Nickent’s situation turned for the worse: For the first six months of 2008, the company’s sales increased 57 percent compared with the same period a year earlier. But in the second half of 2008, sales plummeted 50 percent from the comparable period in 2007.

Such a turnaround, to some degree, also mirrors Nickent’s fast rise and fall. In a span of three years, Nickent’s sales tripled to $15 million in 2007, and now, two years later, the company is gone. At its peak, Nickent employed 60 workers; the remaining 22 were dismissed last week, according to Hoeflich.

“In this economy, it’s a tale that’s being repeated over and over again,” he said. “Small businesses are being forced to shut down. All of a sudden, 60 jobs are gone and who knows when they’ll come back.”

henno
24th November 2009, 06:13 PM
A shame, but I look forward to a Macgregor-esque sell-off.

Ned
24th November 2009, 06:14 PM
Some one get Lifeline onto sms316!!!!!!!!!:shock:

grandmasterb
24th November 2009, 06:16 PM
Perfect time to pick up some cheap gear then :D

pt73
24th November 2009, 06:28 PM
Yep.

Johnny Canuck
24th November 2009, 11:08 PM
A shame, but I look forward to a Macgregor-esque sell-off.

Shouldn't cost much for a replacement headcover now.

adlo
25th November 2009, 03:22 AM
The writing was on the wall. No surprises.

Cheap gear? Sounds good, but what would I buy? All their gear looks like crap.

sms316
25th November 2009, 07:01 AM
Some one get Lifeline onto sms316!!!!!!!!!:shock:
Why would I give a stuff?

LarryLong
25th November 2009, 07:47 AM
Bummer.

Was hoping they would stay in business for a few more years so that I could get my next set as cheap as the last one. :)

Planet Golf
25th November 2009, 05:35 PM
Shame, nice set of forged irons. Good technology, just poor timing for the GFC. Better products than MacGregor.

sms316
25th November 2009, 08:30 PM
Shame, nice set of forged irons. Good technology, just poor timing for the GFC. Better products than MacGregor.
Turn it up. They are good, but they are hardly irreplacable.

Sucked in to their Australian distributor BTW. Wanker. :razz: