PDA

View Full Version : Footy Season is upon us

Fishman Dan
19th February 2005, 09:49 AM
Seems like it's been a longer summer this year, but Footy is cranking up already. The Wizard Cup has just started, and some great games to start. It's pretty much a who-cares event, but good to see competitive footy on again after weeks of reports of intra-club matches.

The thing that stunned me is the crowds - 33k at the Dome, and 38k out in the West.

And before you can't-support-a-pre-season-comp league fans bur up, i'll go as far to say those 2 games rival the first week of NRL crowds ;) :lol:

terryand
19th February 2005, 01:29 PM
Seems like it's been a longer summer this year, but Footy is cranking up already. The Wizard Cup has just started, and some great games to start. It's pretty much a who-cares event, but good to see competitive footy on again after weeks of reports of intra-club matches.

The thing that stunned me is the crowds - 33k at the Dome, and 38k out in the West.

And before you can't-support-a-pre-season-comp league fans bur up, i'll go as far to say those 2 games rival the first week of NRL crowds ;) :lol:

So you don't think that a 26 week regular season is not already long enough :smt102

Compared to the half season 22 week comp :-k

Terry.

3oneday
19th February 2005, 01:37 PM
And before you can't-support-a-pre-season-comp league fans bur up, i'll go as far to say those 2 games rival the first week of NRL crowds ;) :lol:ohhhh, please, and did anyone pull a tutu ????? :P :P :P or someone else tutu, and did they have a little wrestle-ey-pooh =;

Pete
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarro
19th February 2005, 01:44 PM
And before you can't-support-a-pre-season-comp league fans bur up, i'll go as far to say those 2 games rival the first week of NRL crowds ;) :lol:ohhhh, please, and did anyone pull a tutu ????? :P :P :P or someone else tutu, and did they have a little wrestle-ey-pooh =;

Pete

.. yeah i saw some highlights :roll: on Foxsports and it looked like someone got a very nasty scratch that needed medical treatment.

2 guys needed help getting out of their shorts after the game too.

markTHEblake
19th February 2005, 02:23 PM
When you blokes can get a crowd of 28000 to a training session you can go off as much as you like.

how many NRL games get crowds like that?

Jarro
19th February 2005, 02:54 PM
When you blokes can get a crowd of 28000 to a training session you can go off as much as you like.

how many NRL games get crowds like that?

The Melbourne Storm get quite good crowds to their training runs in Melbourne .. pretty comparable to what The Lions get to theirs up here.

Melbournians will go and watch any sport.. we all know that .... :roll:

Fishman Dan
19th February 2005, 02:59 PM
So you don't think that a 26 week regular season is not already long enough :smt102

Compared to the half season 22 week comp :-k

Terry.

Yeah, 26 games/22 + pre-season is a long time. Mind you, a lot of teams in the AFL have been itching to redeem themselves from last year, or are out to blood new talent.

Collingwood put a strong squad out there, as have the Bulldogs and it's like the Blues are going to as well. The Swans are resting about a dozen first team players and blooding youngsters - but certainly no love lost in the opening clashes!

AndyP
19th February 2005, 04:23 PM
Only live match on TV in Brissie this weekend was today's match, which I watched only a little of, as neither the Swans or Dogs do anything for me.

Looking forward to seeing the replay of Hawks v Saints tonight.
Not expecting much from the year, but it will be interesting to see what effect the new coach has on the boys.

The pre-season comp seems like a bit of a sham when the draw is neither random nor seeded, but drawn for convenience. But then again, is that really different to the main fixture?

McMw
19th February 2005, 04:38 PM
I got a copy of Perth's Sunday times, and was suprised to read that the Eagles odds have shorten to 11 dollars only...making them 5/6th fave for the flag...

must have done some good recruiting...

gazgolf1
19th February 2005, 05:03 PM

Pete

.. yeah i saw some highlights :roll: on Foxsports and it looked like someone got a very nasty scratch that needed medical treatment.

Does'nt really feel like the footy season yet...there's been nothing in the papers about halfwit League players gettin on the drink and raping chicks,selling drugs,making obscene phone calls,having gangbangs.
Oh well its only February....early days yet. :roll:

terryand
19th February 2005, 05:09 PM

Pete

Does'nt really feel like the footy season yet...there's been nothing in the papers about halfwit League players gettin on the drink and raping chicks,selling drugs,making obscene phone calls,having gangbangs.

Gaz,Gaz,Gaz, careful there....Allegedly....Remember

Terry.

AndyP
19th February 2005, 05:17 PM
I got a copy of Perth's Sunday times, and was suprised to read that the Eagles odds have shorten to 11 dollars only...making them 5/6th fave for the flag...

must have done some good recruiting...
They did finish 7th on the ladder last year, and are a fairly young side. They also have the Brownlow Medallist, who is an absolute gun.

Eag's
19th February 2005, 08:23 PM
Still can't believe they have that stupid bloody Mele rule :roll:
You can't even go the biff otherwise big fines and suspensions :-s
They should issue all AFL players with handbags and high heels for when they start slapping each other around the field.

Give me a real mans game NRL

marcel
19th February 2005, 08:31 PM
Give me a real stupid man's game NRL

Eag, you left out one word and an aphostrophe, I've fixed it for you, no charge.

davidp
19th February 2005, 08:31 PM
Give me a real mans game NRL

Ahem...AFL is a man's game. I don't think there was anyone in the NRL / ARL / ARSLKRS who would rival Captain Blood aka Jack Dyer for pure toughness.

Sorry, am showing my Victorian origins here.... :wink:

3oneday
19th February 2005, 08:34 PM
I don't think there was anyone in the NRL / ARL / ARSLKRS who would rival Captain Blood aka Jack Dyer for pure toughness.
Sorry, am showing my Victorian origins here.... :wink:ummm, Jack played with a broken jaw did he, broken arm, ummm, who is Jack ???

:lol: :lol:

davidp
19th February 2005, 08:41 PM
I don't think there was anyone in the NRL / ARL / ARSLKRS who would rival Captain Blood aka Jack Dyer for pure toughness.
Sorry, am showing my Victorian origins here.... :wink:ummm, Jack played with a broken jaw did he, broken arm, ummm, who is Jack ???

:lol: :lol:

Yes, he did play with a broken jaw once. Jack Dyer is one of the greats of the VFL (forerunner to the AFL). He got his nickname for his habit of running straight at the ball and through anything that was in his way:

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/jackdyer.htm

3oneday
19th February 2005, 08:47 PM
Yes, he did play with a broken jaw once. Jack Dyer is one of the greats of the VFL (forerunner to the AFL). He got his nickname for his habit of running straight at the ball and through anything that was in his way:Well, there you go, every code must have had someone who played with a broken jaw :wink: :P and he ran straight and through anything ?!?!?! crikeys, maybe he was Sonny-Bill's uncle 8) :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
19th February 2005, 09:09 PM
Saw an awesome display of passion in the Swans vs Bulldogs game. Doggies were starting to set up the win in the 3rd Quarter, and just nailed their Super Goal. The TV camera found an old lady in the crowd who was overcome with emotion, tears streaming down her face.

The only tears that the NRL version of the Doggies cause are... well, let's not go there.. :roll:

3oneday
20th February 2005, 03:43 AM
Saw an awesome display of passion in the Swans vs Bulldogs game. Doggies were starting to set up the win in the 3rd Quarter, and just nailed their Super Goal. The TV camera found an old lady in the crowd who was overcome with emotion, tears streaming down her face.

The only tears that the NRL version of the Doggies cause are... well, let's not go there.. :roll: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: you and her are gunna have a very long year I think :P :lol:

drunken
20th February 2005, 05:51 PM
I think we all need to forget the GAYFL & the NRL (not that I dislike either). It's time you all followed a real game like Rugby Union, Super 12 kicks off next week & I'm really thinking it might be time to put Paytv on again.... :roll:

gazgolf1
22nd February 2005, 06:07 AM

Pete

I was wrong...the Rugby League season has started.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12333550%255E11088,00.html

Go the Knights. :lol:

Trung
22nd February 2005, 07:23 AM

Bunch of no brain idiots :?

Fishman Dan
22nd February 2005, 07:52 AM

I'd like to hear what the deregistered player has done before passing judgement. Sounds like he's been made a scapegoat - after last seasons complete lack of action from the NRL.

Probably some backwater noname trying to make it in the NRL with no media profile. Hang on, that's 3/4 of the registered NRL players.. :lol:

Jarro
22nd February 2005, 10:24 AM

I'd like to hear what the deregistered player has done before passing judgement. Sounds like he's been made a scapegoat - after last seasons complete lack of action from the NRL.

Probably some backwater noname trying to make it in the NRL with no media profile. Hang on, that's 3/4 of the registered NRL players.. :lol:

don't go getting on any highhorse just yet Fishy, the GAYFL season ain't over yet .... still plenty of time for one of your "boys" to get into strife :P

Fishman Dan
22nd February 2005, 10:30 AM
Jarro - all well and good, but so far:

Instances of drunk footy players storming dorms and jumping into beds of sleeping girls and trying to do naughty things:

AFL: 0
NRL: 1

We'll keep a tally ;) :lol:

Jarro
22nd February 2005, 10:34 AM

Instances of drunk footy players storming dorms and jumping into beds of sleeping girls and trying to do naughty things:

We'll keep a tally ;) :lol:

.. and we know why no GIRLS have been targeted by the GAYFL boys don't we :P :roll:

3oneday
22nd February 2005, 11:07 AM

We'll keep a tally ;) :lol:and how do you propose to keep a tally of the ones that don't make the papers :P :P will the new assistant at Carlton have another weak moment ???

Fishman Dan
22nd February 2005, 11:08 AM

We'll keep a tally ;) :lol:and how do you propose to keep a tally of the ones that don't make the papers :P :P will the new assistant at Carlton have another weak moment ???

Good pickup =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

gazgolf1
22nd February 2005, 03:35 PM
Fox Footy channel have just announced a new show hosted by Wayne Carey called "Let me R**t your wife".
It's a game show format hosted by Wayne where the losers have to throw a party,invite Wayne and find ways to keep him from dragging unsuspecting wives into the toilet. :wink:

Jarro
23rd February 2005, 01:02 PM
Fox Footy channel have just announced a new show hosted by Wayne Carey called "Let me R**t your wife".
It's a game show format hosted by Wayne where the losers have to throw a party,invite Wayne and find ways to keep him from dragging unsuspecting wives into the toilet. :wink:

He's ripped that off from Rocco Sifferedi :!:

i have a movie where Rocco does exactly the same thing :shock: