PDA

View Full Version : Anybody playing a Hybrid?

gazgolf1
19th February 2005, 08:42 AM
Well I bought a TM Rescue Mid a while back and hated it like a Jew hates pork.
Then yesterday at Nudgee I grabbed a demo Hogan CFT 19 degree from the proshop and threw it in the bag.I was'nt expecting too much since it had a reg flex shaft and my previous Hybrid experience had left me hurt and vunerable. :oops:
The first hole I pulled it out on was the 4th (south course),a short par 4 with water about 230m from the tee.I hit 3 balls that you could have thrown a blanket over (if they made blankets 10m wide) that travelled about 180m,nice high ball flight with a little draw.
The next time I flailed away with the Hogan was on the par 3 7th,175m into the breeze and I hit about 6 balls off the turf and bugger me if they all did'nt land on the dance floor. :shock: Once again nice high ball flight and soft landings...love it. :D Not real sure how far a 19 degree is supposed to go but 180m is exactly what I'm looking for.
So as Mickey Dolenz from The Monkey's once said "I'm a Believer" and I'm looking for one of these as we speak.
Anybody else likin a Hybrid? 8)

McMw
19th February 2005, 08:45 AM
I'm like u....I've been scarred...

I won't use one anymore...

unless I can find a iron-like-hybrid that I really really like...(golf digest hot list)...

Jarro
19th February 2005, 08:48 AM
count me in as one who's looking for one too :roll:

Fishman Dan
19th February 2005, 09:58 AM
I'm a recent convert. I bought my Ping's 4-SW, so i had a gap to fill. Jono was kind enough to offer me a Snakes Eyes Quick-Strike 22* - more of a 3-iron replacement, but it's extremely easy to hit.

My bag has a 14* 3-Wood, and an old 21* 5-wood that i took from my wife's bag - with the Snakes Eyes at 22*, it makes the 5 wood redundant.

I've been looking recently, and hit a Rescue #3 (19*) at the range and found it great. I didn't hit everything pure, but i've caught the bug. Problem is, they want $195 for it, but after serious negotiation he dropped it all the way to $189. I laughed and walked out.

Since then i've been on the prowl. A Rescue #3 TP went off cheap recently on eBay (mentioned in another thread) - but this is where i'm heading. A fellow OzGolfer has a mint #3 TP gathering dust, but as much as my heart desires, i don't think i can do it just now. :(

From what i've seen, Rescue's are still the most expensive, but CFT's are going for between $100-120. It might be the best option :?

Jono
19th February 2005, 11:29 AM
I'm like u....I've been scarred...

I won't use one anymore...

unless I can find a iron-like-hybrid that I really really like...(golf digest hot list)...

The thing about some hybrids is that they make them too upright and too light/long. This has caused me to hook a few of them more than I like.

I am currently using Wishon 321LI's from 2 iron down to 5 iron. These heads are weighted like iron heads they are meant to replace. Same lie angles and lofts. So I put steel shafts in them and cut them to standard iron lengths. Works great. Easier to hit than the long irons, with higher ball flight. I put the ball back slightly (compared to long irons) and squeeze the ball against the turf more. Flies further and lands softer with more backspin. Love it.

If you are looking for more "iron-like" hybrids, these are worth a go.

Eag's
19th February 2005, 11:59 AM
Love my Maxfli Ezy Drive rescue 8)
Favourite club in the bag. :wink:

Ona
19th February 2005, 02:06 PM
The next time I flailed away with the Hogan was on the par 3 7th,175m into the breeze and I hit about 6 balls off the turf and bugger me if they all did'nt land on the dance floor. :shock:

I cant even 6 in a row on using a wedge. :x

just got a nickent 3dx but havent had enough wacks at it yet to draw any conclusions, tho my first impressions are promising :)

markTHEblake
19th February 2005, 02:20 PM
I have got a 14 degree Snake Eyes Quick Strike. Its being definitely added a new dimension to my game, as i havent been able to hit any kind of fairway wood for years.

Like most hybrids its virtually impossible to slice, and easy to draw - the perfect hackers club.

AndyP
19th February 2005, 04:10 PM
I've hit some great shots with my Maxfli Ezydrive 22°, but it's a copy of the TM Rescue, so I doubt you would like them then, Gaz.

I did have a hit of a Hogan CFT2 in Canberra, but I was hitting it poorly in general at that stage, and didn't really like the feel of those cold hard range balls. Hit some nice ones with it, but also hit some shockers. Wouldn't be fair to judge the club from that occasion.

McMw
19th February 2005, 04:24 PM
I;m doing okay with the 5 wood v steel
so don't see the need to get a hybrid anymore...

if i'm ever stuck btw a 3 iron and a 5 wood, I'll take the chance with the 3 iron... or take up another sport... :lol:

markTHEblake
19th February 2005, 04:42 PM
5 woods are ladies clubs, real golfers hit 2 irons.

Trung
19th February 2005, 04:52 PM
RM is the club for me. (even after 1 OOB last week with it :oops: )

Driver and RM3 into the par 5 17th today. (uphill dogleg right, 455m). I wont able be to repeat that again for the another 6-12 months. :lol:

and then 4 putted (to protect my hcp :twisted: ) for an easy bogey :oops:

Trung
19th February 2005, 04:54 PM
5 woods are ladies clubs, real golfers hit 2 irons.

or one with a big ego :twisted:

Courty
19th February 2005, 05:30 PM
I have a 19° Maxfli Ezydrive #3. I bought it to replace the 2 iron (more forgiving) but I have also since dropped the 3 wood. I hit the Ezydrive around 210-230 off the deck depending on lie/ wind etc.
I don't want to show you up Trung, but I smoked driver/ 5 iron onto the 18th today (482m flat par 5). :twisted:

Fishman Dan
19th February 2005, 05:30 PM
..and then 4 putted (to protect my hcp :twisted: ) for an easy bogey :oops:

To protect your image here Trung, i will tell everyone that green is in shocking shape. Something really bad killing off the grass in the front half.

No, actually - i 2 putted over it. You really don't have that much excuse ;)

Courty
19th February 2005, 05:33 PM
Something really bad killing off the grass in the front half.
That would be the greenkeepers :wink: :lol:

Trung
19th February 2005, 05:34 PM
I have a 19° Maxfli Ezydrive #3. I bought it to replace the 2 iron (more forgiving) but I have also since dropped the 3 wood. I hit the Ezydrive around 210-230 off the deck depending on lie/ wind etc.
I don't want to show you up Trung, but I smoked driver/ 5 iron onto the 18th today (482m flat par 5). :twisted:

I'm a light weight, you would be somewhere near heavy weight or over weight? :twisted: :smt116

Courty
19th February 2005, 05:37 PM
I'm a light weight, you would be somewhere near heavy weight or over weight? :twisted: :smt116

You got me there, although I'm starting to fade away to a shadow of my former self, I'm still 95kg... :( :shock:

Fishman Dan
19th February 2005, 06:32 PM
Courty - what shaft comes in an EzyDrive? Normal MaxFli-brand graphite or steel?

Courty
19th February 2005, 07:16 PM
Courty - what shaft comes in an EzyDrive? Normal MaxFli-brand graphite or steel?

I haven't seen any in graphite, mine is steel. It has a True Temper something-or-other stiff shaft.

3oneday
19th February 2005, 08:39 PM
Dan,

One of my mates carries the 16* and the 22*, they have a Maxfli Graphite shaft in them. He plays off 4, likes them a lot...

Pete

davidp
19th February 2005, 08:50 PM
After trying out a couple of hybrids, I'm now playing a ZT Maximizer 18* as a 2-iron replacement. I get 210m off the tee with it, which is what I was looking for. I'm using it a lot off the tee and occasionally off the deck. Off my handicap I can afford to be conservative.

Shaft is an Aerotech Steel Fiber 80 gm graphite shaft. It's a graphite core with steel coiled around it, so it feels like steel and seems to give steel like consistency, but gives graphite distance.

goughy
19th February 2005, 09:59 PM
I'm using a g2hl iron or hybrid, what ever it is. I must say it's not as forgiving as I thought it should be, but it's a bomb when hit sweet.

I don't even carry a 3 wood anymore. Just the g2hl.

McMw
19th February 2005, 10:13 PM
under the GD hot list - the G2HL is classed as a "iron-like-hybrid"...

AndyP
19th February 2005, 10:22 PM
Either. I've got steel in my 22°.
I've tried both and prefer the steel. I guess if they are meant to replace the irons, they should probably have a similar shaft to them.

Aussielongdriver
21st February 2005, 07:33 AM
I have the new Cobra Hybrid and they feel great,good dist,big sweet spot and can be hit high or low depending on what's required.

Stephen

Jono
21st February 2005, 05:43 PM
I have the new Cobra Hybrid and they feel great,good dist,big sweet spot and can be hit high or low depending on what's required.

Stephen

So ... how far do you hit this? 300 meters? :wink:

3oneday
21st February 2005, 08:08 PM

Stephen

So ... how far do you hit this? 300 meters? :wink:right.... or left.... :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

gazgolf1
22nd February 2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice people....went ahead and bought a Hogan Hybrid today. :D

McMw
23rd February 2005, 03:47 PM
saw a bunch of hybrids in KL...

What i didn't like:
Sonartec MD - god...this thing reminded me of those cheap-ass wilson or prosimmon or whatever driving iron/hybrid you find at your local council course for 99bucks and under...no finesse in the the way it looks, offset was terrible, and cannot see how this club will work from the rough...
no wonder it worked well at the B Open as a chipper... :roll:

Cobra Baffler 2005 - nope...too much like the rescue mid...tho the only plus in its favour - not as much offset as the RM

What I did like:
Heaven Wood - nice sleek look, no offset to worry about, tho it did look like it had a closed face... :(
Ping G2HL - very nice...if only there was a 1 iron variant...
Nike Iron Wood - still one of the best...pity the coloring...

Still undecided:
Titleist 503H - if it wasn't for the damn offset!!! (and there's a LOT)

Winner:
Taylor Made RAC CGB utility irons - pretty much no offset, very small face, and just looks great all round!!!
Not much info on the tm website, but it's on the jpn site, and also a TP version is available (which I didn't get a chance to look at)...