PDA

View Full Version : The Oz Golf Curse.

Eag's
23rd November 2009, 01:11 PM
Reading the POTY thread got me thinking, how many of you have experienced the Oz Golf curse at some stage?. What I mean is on the big days when we get 16 or more players, do you perform poorly or do you excel?
I for one have had this curse following me around for way to long (something that will end in 2010 ;)) and it gets a bit frustrating constantly playing crap on these big days.
I seem to have no trouble playing well when I am with non Oz golfers or when we are in small groups :smt102

*sitting back and waiting for the HTFU or shoot lower scores replys*

goughy
23rd November 2009, 01:16 PM
Always have had it. Have never come within cooee of winning anything. But I guess you have to focus on your golf to play well, rather than what's going on around you which is what I focus on on an ozgolf day.

Jarro
23rd November 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm also afflicted with 'the curse' :(

As Goughy said though, to play well you have to focus on the golf and not the people you're playing with.

Very hard at most OzGolf days.

goughy
23rd November 2009, 01:20 PM
Although I did focus enough at the inaugural city country matchplay at middle ridge (isg days) when I beat Jarro ;)

sms316
23rd November 2009, 01:24 PM
Afflicted. Benno beat me twice.

Having said that, the TGF curse is much worse.

WBennett
23rd November 2009, 01:34 PM
Afflicted. Benno beat me twice.

Is that the waaaaaaambulance I hear Princess?

:lol:

BrisVegas
23rd November 2009, 01:37 PM
I cured myself of the curse in 2007. I don't think I'd won a major before that.

I now have the curse at my home club for champs and medal rounds...

Eag's
23rd November 2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah I find it hard to focus on the big days, I end up mucking around to much because we always have a good laugh. Next year I will be all about Dr Bob ;)

PeteyD
23rd November 2009, 01:40 PM
Nah I just play like crap 90% of the time. Got a lucky round at the Wynnum Cup.

petethepilot
23rd November 2009, 02:13 PM
There are a billion Mental game guru books out there. Some of them are even very good! The trouble is under the gun you can't remember anything you read in a book whilst sitting on the crapper 4 weeks before. You must learn to incorporate things into your game so they become habits that occur automatically!

1. You must become awareness focused not conscious thought focused.
ie. aware what your swing tempo is, not saying " swing slower" in your conscious thought. Awareness of your current tempo no matter how fast is a good result. Only then by slowing all your actions down. .(Thinking, walking, talking, pre-shot routine) will you bring your actual tempo slower.

2.Stop being trouble focused.
ie. don't miss it left on 18 at P.W because thats dead.
Be best result aware.
ie. centre/right on 18 at P.W. gives me an uphill putt. Thats my target and that is doable for me to get it there!

3.Plan you targets realistically.
Don't commit to a shot until you know can achieve it a realistic amount of times. this is why handicaps are the great leveler. They are created for skill deficiencies not mental deficiencies!!

4.Play each shot one at a time! That still might come into an overall stategy but you can only execute one shot at a time. ie Don't get ahead of the situation.
ie I resolved to play 16 at P.W. as a 3 shot par 5 with a 100 metre wedge for my 3rd shot. This was because the penalty for missing Fairway on the first and second shot was dire (ie miss on the hole! or worse in stroke play) and secondly because 100 metre wedges are 1 of my strengths. I played 5 wood/ 7 iron/ wedge first round and 4 iron/4 iron/ wedge second round. I was happy with my strategy and made par/par (missed a 6 foot birdie putt on Sunday). The key was successfully executing each shot in the strategy. I knew where I wanted to hit each shot but I had to concentrate on that shot routine in play. Don't preplan a score!! Most of my playing companions freewheeled on that hole and struggled!

5. have a preshot routine that you follow every time! Watch a big tournament and all the pro's have a routine they follow (they will vary between players. Normally, the last 10 to 15 seconds before swing is almost identical for a given player. If it varies, he is struggling with his swing or if in contension, he is starting to choke!

6. finally, enjoy the day. That is what Ozgolf days and golf in general are all about. Concentrate when playing the shot and keep your demeanor at your best preformance level. Someone like SMS needs a challenge or an audience to fire up. Others play best when low key and relaxed (me).

Unfortunately, golf allows a lot of time for the mind and emotions to block your way. Learn to quieten the mind but stick to a plan and I will hand the trophy to you next year. (but play well because I may have a few shots back by then!)

Regards,

Pete 8)

sms316
23rd November 2009, 02:21 PM
Well said Ray, erm Pete.

zacdullard
23rd November 2009, 02:23 PM
Top stuff petethepilot!

I have one question. How do you quiten thoughts in your head when walking down the fairway? I can't do it.

3oneday
23rd November 2009, 02:24 PM
Boobs

BrisVegas
23rd November 2009, 02:28 PM
Learn to quieten the mind but stick to a plan and I will hand the trophy to you next year. (but play well because I may have a few shots back by then!)

You slipped under the radar this year pete, but you'll be assessed with a new handicap now that you are on "the list". ;)

Toolish
23rd November 2009, 02:30 PM
I have the opposite. Have not played in many ozgolf days and being Victorian they are always small fields, but have played well every time. Not sure why?

Eag's
23rd November 2009, 02:33 PM
Some very good tips right there Pete cheers for that :smt023

AndyP
23rd November 2009, 02:35 PM
Thinking that there is a curse is a problem in the first place.

petethepilot
23rd November 2009, 02:37 PM
Boobs do help! SMS and I tried to see a few on the Sunday at the champs.

No easy answer. I have used a book called 'Zen Golf' by Dr J Parent. It has lots of good ideas. When playing well, I try to just keep my tempo of doing everything, the same. You are allowed to think of things, just not result thoughts (ie. If I birdie this I could win this/ if I don't hit this right I will lose my chance to win!) or swing diagnosis things. (ie SMS releases hard through the ball. He hits it good. Maybe I would too if I tried that!) STAY IN THE PRESENT!!!

Enjoy the company and the conversation.

Time to hit the ball.
OK! on the job. Follow my preshot routine!
Hit it, and go find it.

regards,

Pete

p.s. my knee hurts like crap!

Lucasto23
23rd November 2009, 02:37 PM
What curse!!!

Lucasto23
23rd November 2009, 02:39 PM
Boobs do help! SMS and I tried to see a few on the Sunday at the champs.

No easy answer. I have used a book called 'Zen Golf' by Dr J Parent. It has lots of good ideas. When playing well, I try to just keep my tempo of doing everything, the same. You are allowed to think of things, just not result thoughts (ie. If I birdie this I could win this/ if I don't hit this right I will lose my chance to win!) or swing diagnosis things. (ie SMS releases hard through the ball. He hits it good. Maybe I would too if I tried that!) STAY IN THE PRESENT!!!

Enjoy the company and the conversation.

Time to hit the ball.
OK! on the job. Follow my preshot routine!
Hit it, and go find it.

regards,

Pete

p.s. my knee hurts like crap!

Thats why they give you awesome pain killers=P~
What is your rehab schedule like;)

Eag's
23rd November 2009, 02:40 PM
What curse!!!

You have been here for 5 minutes mate you will learn :)

3oneday
23rd November 2009, 02:48 PM
Some very good tips right there Pete cheers for that :smt023

pleasure mate ;)

Lucasto23
23rd November 2009, 03:15 PM
You have been here for 5 minutes mate you will learn :)

Is that what it is:shock:

And i thought i just had an inconsistant swing:cry:

Bruce
23rd November 2009, 04:28 PM
I've usually gone OK when travelling for OzGolf days. Perhaps I have more to think about than just the golf game. Better head space while on holidays.

Local ones not so good.

henno
23rd November 2009, 04:37 PM
Two cold tops on the first tee at the Nudgee Plate? Subsequently raise the bat (and then some)? What curse?

P.S. Check out the merit bar below, bitches. Hopefully the curse is broken, and has now moved on to the next victim.

markTHEblake
23rd November 2009, 06:56 PM
I have the curse bad, but its not just Ozgolf. For me it seems to be that the more social the event and/or less important) the worse I play.

I think if I was a punter I might step up more often, but there isnt enough people around who have a decent bet - except Jono but gee I'd feel too guilty.

PeteyD
23rd November 2009, 06:58 PM
Where was the win Henno?

AndyP
23rd November 2009, 06:59 PM
Where was the win Henno?A very easy track obviously. Brookwater.

PeteyD
23rd November 2009, 08:35 PM
Ahh the infamous Ned Kelly day. Pity I missed it :(

Courty
23rd November 2009, 09:33 PM
The curse has got me well & truly. I'm capable of some great golf at home (and even away at times), but I can't put it together for the big OZgolf days.
My own justification is the fact that these big OZgolf days are on courses I am completely unfamiliar with, hence my massive score improvements on the 2nd day of each of the Champs I've been to.

Moe Norman
23rd November 2009, 09:48 PM
I have been playing ordinary everywhere for a long time now.

Although I was first round leader at the 2006 champs with DC!

I then started double, double, birdie, bogey to his Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie and it was all over!

Hux
23rd November 2009, 10:04 PM
I just play like shit most of the time and occassionally put it together. The win at PW was my first win in a Ozgolf day of any numbers, and had the win at the Cops and Robbers with 3 other Ozgolfers but above all had enough laughs to make up for the crap golf on the other days.

LarryLong
24th November 2009, 07:29 AM
I have the opposite. Have not played in many ozgolf days and being Victorian they are always small fields, but have played well every time. Not sure why?

Playing with choppers always makes you look good. :D