PDA

View Full Version : Qld, golf at a sparrows fa#t

Ferrins
22nd November 2009, 05:40 PM
Who else get's out there at day break for a knock. I know Blakey does.
Does your home track restrict your starting time. I know Sanctuary Cove won't let you on till 7am.

I'm loving these early morning knocks,with the only downer being the traffic after the hit. I wish I could take my clubs on my pushie.

markTHEblake
22nd November 2009, 06:12 PM
not me, i dont go to bed until sparrows let alone wake then.

Bruce
22nd November 2009, 06:37 PM
During the Champs I was impressed with how perfect a time it was to hit off at 6AM.

Shame the course and the pro shop wouldn't be open 'til 7 and brekky was unavailable 'til 6:30 :roll:

sms316
22nd November 2009, 06:38 PM
RQ take bookings from 4.45am.

ddasey
22nd November 2009, 06:41 PM
I don't mind hitting off early.

Generally on Saturdays I tee off between 6 & 7.

Moe Norman
22nd November 2009, 08:32 PM
BGC don't take official bookings until 6, but you can play from daybreak

WBennett
22nd November 2009, 09:13 PM
RQ take bookings from 4.45am.

Which is 5:45 for those states not in the dark ages of no daylight savings...

The flags are not placed back on the greens until 6:45am at GLGC. Luckily they go front middle back each hole, so you have an idea of the depth on each green (once you have made it through the first!)

Ferrins
22nd November 2009, 09:24 PM
You lucky bastard, you think you got it tough, we can't even afford flags down in Tasmania so we use star pickets instead.

PeteyD
22nd November 2009, 09:26 PM
I love getting out and playing early. daylight savings makes no sense as it would eat into my golf time.

WBennett
22nd November 2009, 09:26 PM
I've seen Bothwell! :)

The club had around 40 flags stolen over a 3 year period - not sure what one costs, but they now pick them up and sunset and the greenskeepers put them back in each morning

sms316
22nd November 2009, 10:00 PM
You lucky bastard, you think you got it tough, we can't even afford flags down in Tasmania so we use star pickets instead.
And synthetic grass to stop the locals from grazing on the fairways.

razaar
22nd November 2009, 11:34 PM
I've seen Bothwell! :)

The club had around 40 flags stolen over a 3 year period - not sure what one costs, but they now pick them up and sunset and the greenskeepers put them back in each morning
Funny you should mention that. A couple of years ago a Keperra president saw a Keperra Bowl flag on one of the holes. He mentioned it in passing to the club president who didn't have a clue where the flag came from. A week or two later that flag was received by Keperra GC in the mail. I believe that flag or a replacement was returned to Bothwell.

Jarro
23rd November 2009, 01:39 AM
I love getting out and playing early. daylight savings makes no sense as it would eat into my golf time.

Agreed.

I used to go play some holes before starting work at 7am.

grandmasterb
23rd November 2009, 09:56 AM
I've been teeing off early down here now but usually around the 8am time as there is still a little too much dew otherwise.

There are a couple of courses that take in the flags and bunker rakes due to theft which is a shame :(

3oneday
23rd November 2009, 10:14 AM
I practiced last week at 5.45, I suppose I could fly around for 9 holes by 7am but I can't see the point.

BrisVegas
23rd November 2009, 11:09 AM
I play first group out on Saturdays at 6:30am.

If I get out for 9 holes before work I play at 5am. It's the best part of the day.

LarryLong
23rd November 2009, 11:15 AM
When I'm travelling around and playing country tracks I try to hit off as soon as it's light, or as soon as the course opens. This is mostly to appease the lovely wife who wants me to come back ASAP and not ruin her weekend, but I really enjoy it. There's nothing quite like being the first person of the day to hit off with an empty course in front of you and the birds making lots of noise.

Jarro
23rd November 2009, 11:31 AM
I play first group out on Saturdays at 6:30am.

If I get out for 9 holes before work I play at 5am. It's the coolest part of the day.

Exactly :mrgreen:

goughy
23rd November 2009, 01:28 PM
In the old days Jaster and I would hit the course mid week about 5am, even as early as 4:15 in the peak of summer to get in 18 holes. Even in winter we'd be standing on the tee at 5:45 waiting for enough light to tee off.

markTHEblake
24th November 2009, 12:49 AM
I used to go to golf and practice from 6am every day or 7am in winter, until about 8.20 and then nick off to school.

then suddenly came a time when i was only getting home at 6am, and the cinderalla story was over.

Scottt
24th November 2009, 07:52 AM
Best thing when I was young, single and lived and worked within 1km of the golf club was getting up to be on the tee at 6.15, quick 18 holes on my own, change shoes and shirt and be at my desk by 8.30.

It felt unreal having an entire round of golf under your belt by the time work started.

drnick
24th November 2009, 03:06 PM
Do the early hit off all the time with mates. Not always the best with cold, Victorian winters tho!! Had a couple of praccy hits last week at 5:45am. Will try for more this week as well!

Always good finishing before 12 on a Sat and having the rest of the day to do stuff. Bad when it ends up drinking with the golfing mates till 4 in the morning! See ya whole weekend. ;)

S