PDA

View Full Version : opinions on these courses

zigwah
20th November 2009, 01:42 PM
These are the course we have recipricol rights with, as i don't know anything about them other than murray downs, would appreciate some feedback about which ones to play first

VIC:
croydon
drouin
eastern
horsham
kingswood
la trobe
leongatha
lonsdale
warrnambool
warracknabeal

N.S.W.
murray downs half fees
orange
oatlands

A.C.T.
the federal canberra

Q.L.D
the gold coast country club half fees

S.A.
blackwood
mt gambier

N.T.
alice springs

marcel
20th November 2009, 01:49 PM
If Orange is Duntryleague then it is one I'd definitely visit.

Blackwood in the Adelaide Hills is a very fine course, just not in the depths of winter.

sms316
20th November 2009, 01:49 PM
Orange GC (aka Duntryleague) is arguably the best inland course in NSW. Shame the town is such a shithole.

Federal is very nice. I recommend playing there on a Saturday afternoon during wedding season.

PeteyD
20th November 2009, 01:53 PM
GCCC is a goattrack. Horsham was/is a top 100 I think, despite the fire.

AndyP
20th November 2009, 01:56 PM
Alice Springs is meant to be a good track.

I thought Federal was a pretty good course when I played it too.

zigwah
20th November 2009, 02:01 PM
cool at least theres some good tracks to visit

Bruce
20th November 2009, 02:29 PM
Leongatha and Murray Downs both go alright.

just
20th November 2009, 02:38 PM
Orange GC (aka Duntryleague) is arguably the best inland course in NSW. Shame the town is such a shithole.
Amen, but at least it has some decent wineries to dull the pain.

markTHEblake
21st November 2009, 12:05 AM
drouin
The honour boards there are fantastic viewing.

Q.L.D
the gold coast country club half fees

Great layout, poor condition, but better now with fairway watering, and busier than centrelink in Thursdays. expect long rounds.

N.T.
alice springs
Put this on a must play list, golf in the desert is something to behold.

MegaWatty
21st November 2009, 12:10 AM
Federal's a nice track. No courses in WA!

Johnny Canuck
21st November 2009, 12:16 AM
thank god!

MegaWatty
21st November 2009, 12:23 AM
LOL!

ParMaster
21st November 2009, 09:56 AM
VIC:
croydon - A very nice course with lots and lots of water. The greens are rock hard and the par 5's are quite monotnous.
kingswood - Nice private course with good bunkering. A good sandbelt course but not in the class of KH or the like.

N.S.W.
orange - Not played it but apparantly very very good.
oatlands - Like most courses in sydney (Tree lined/parkland) It's just a nice members course that has undergone some bunker work lately.

A.C.T.
the federal canberra - Good solid course.

N.T.
alice springs - Wow. ASGC will surpass whatever expectations you have. It is a wonderful golf course and has one of my favorite holes anywhere (8th hole)

sms316
21st November 2009, 09:59 AM
N.T.
Alice Springs - a hard walk. I suggest taking a cart.
:wink:

markTHEblake
21st November 2009, 10:13 AM
Alice springs is not too arduous, even thought its warm you don't feel it because its so dry. Take plenty of lip balm though!

ParMaster
21st November 2009, 10:39 AM
It is a very flat course with only a little elevation change on the front 9. It regularly gets up to 35C there so a cart could be used for the faint hearted (or pussies..).

;)

Minor_Threat
21st November 2009, 10:56 AM
Drouin is a great track.. I won the Pro Am there in 2003! lol

Seriously though, it is just a well kept run of the mill golf course. The cool thing about it is some of the holes are in the middle of the racecourse for the Drouin Cup which is an annual even held on Boxing Day each year.

Hux
21st November 2009, 11:57 AM
Alice Springs GC is easily the best course in Alice Springs if not in all the NT out of Darwin :-)

Grunt
21st November 2009, 01:07 PM
Alice Springs GC is easily the best course in Alice Springs if not in all the NT out of Darwin :-)

How many other courses are there out of Darwin, 2 or 3? Serious question.

ParMaster
21st November 2009, 01:09 PM
That was the idea of the joke grunt. :)

There are about 10 courses in the NT of which 2 or 3 would be Ok. The others would have sand greens or 9 holes or something.

Grunt
21st November 2009, 01:11 PM
That was the idea of the joke grunt. :)

There are about 10 courses in the NT of which 2 or 3 would be Ok. The others would have sand greens or 9 holes or something.

That was why I asked the serious question? I know AP has played at Katherine but was not sure if that was all there was.

ParMaster
21st November 2009, 01:14 PM
And there is the serious answer. :)

Hux
21st November 2009, 01:25 PM
Sorry Grunt just having a giggle. Katherine and SFA. Not sure if you have been to the NT but outside Darwin the only places you could call a population centre is Katherine and Alice - the rest wouldn't quite make the standard of being a population centre.

Hmmm wonder if Tennant Ck rates a GC....though you'd hardly visit the shit pit even if it had a 36hole masterpiece!

Grunt
21st November 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Hux

No have not been to any of the NT for golf, only done the other tourist things.

AndyP
21st November 2009, 01:38 PM
I think Alice Springs is meant to be the best course in NT including those in Darwin.

LarryLong
21st November 2009, 03:34 PM
Horsham - played there before the fire and it was a lovely track in very good nick. One of the best country tracks in Victoria.

Lonsdale is down my way - shortish, but a nice walk with a few nice views of the lake on a couple of holes. I know nothing about archimatecture, so I can't tell you it it's any good, but most of the holes have bunkers if that's any help. Usually in reasonable nick and still plays well in winter because it's on a sand base (not that you'd be worried about that sort of thing in Shep). Seems pretty friendly from the times I've played there. Not in the league of Horsham, but still a nice place for a hit.

zigwah
21st November 2009, 04:28 PM
thanx for the info guys, good stuff

markTHEblake
21st November 2009, 07:11 PM
I think Alice Springs is meant to be the best course in NT including those in Darwin.

Correct, Darwin GC was designed by Peter Thomson but although its a good layout it doesnt hold a candle to Alice Springs.

There are no other golf courses you would go out of your way to play up there, but there are several around as Hux says.

SV8
21st November 2009, 07:12 PM
the gold coast gc wouldn't know the definition of the words "tee time" they double book all the time - rearrange to Parkwood if you can - good old established track and good bar

2manybogeys
27th June 2011, 11:02 PM
Mt Gambier is an under rated track that could be something special if the club so desires. Need a bit of a culture change around place and a desire to be the best it can and the course would be sensational instead of members living on past glories. Regardless of that good track well worth the visit.

PeteyD
28th June 2011, 11:54 AM
Quality thread mining.

Lagerlover
28th June 2011, 06:57 PM
G69,

Have you ever played/surveyed millicent, naracoorte or penola? If so i would be interested in your opinion

2manybogeys
28th June 2011, 07:23 PM
2man

When were u last at Mt G ?

Today! Actually had a good chat with greenkeepers who were cleaning up some of the overgrown bushes on tee blocks. Current head greenkeeper doing a good job and has a passion to get it as best as he can within the clubs limited budget.

markTHEblake
28th June 2011, 07:25 PM
Today! Actually had a good chat with greenkeepers

shouldnt they be called a greenskeeper?

Lagerlover
28th June 2011, 08:28 PM
shouldnt they be called a greenskeeper?

Things are different down 'the mount' MTB..... work for the dole, every keeper gets a green.

2manybogeys
29th June 2011, 07:38 AM
I have said in another thread that I did a master plan for them a year or two ago and were waiting for some coin to eventuate from the housing before making a few changes.
I am told they did bowl over a shiteload of pines as per my instruction but yet to see a photo.

Two club members involved in the timber / forestry industry did knock over a lot of pines with their machinery but there is still quite a few to go - the last couple on the right hand side of 1st fairway, behind 14th tee, right hand side of 18th fairway, left hand side 17th fairway, right hand side 4th fairway.

2manybogeys
29th June 2011, 12:06 PM
Must look a lot better from the clubhouse now when you can actually see the golf course, and the greenskeeper must be stoked with less shit to cleanup beneath those pines.

Yeah - now we need to get stuck into some of the gum trees. Course looks great where trees have been removed and not so much mess when the wind blows for the greenskeepers to clean up. Can't wait for the transformation from golf garden to golf course to be completed. Don't hate trees just we are overgrown with them.