PDA

View Full Version : Shafts for an Old Man

WeekendHacker
17th November 2009, 09:50 AM
I am looking for some advice on shafts for my Dad. I have just bought a set of 2009 TP forged irons from Tour Spec and wish to give him my Burner TP irons but would like to get them reshafted with something a little more in his flex than mine. He is 65 now and my previous hand me down clubs have S300 shafts in thm which are a little too stiff for him. Sould I be looking at steel or graphite shafts for him? He hits a 7 iron about 135 - 140 with them at the moment but gets too many bad shots. He has tried a few demo clubs in both steel and graphite and finds that the regular fllex gives him a much better consistancy. Any recommendations?

razaar
17th November 2009, 10:26 AM
Same age as me..go the softer flex in graphite. Regular if he has good lag, A flex if the lag is not so good.

chappy1970
17th November 2009, 10:29 AM
I reshafted my old mans clubs a month ago and he now has some spare reg flex Graphite shafts out of a set of Cobra S9's.

FWIW

Chappy

Ferrins
17th November 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm interested in those shafts from the Cobra's if your not. How much to Brisbane?

Ferrins
17th November 2009, 07:49 PM
Forget that prior request.

Oldplayer
18th November 2009, 06:38 PM
I am looking for some advice on shafts for my Dad. I have just bought a set of 2009 TP forged irons from Tour Spec and wish to give him my Burner TP irons but would like to get them reshafted with something a little more in his flex than mine. He is 65 now and my previous hand me down clubs have S300 shafts in thm which are a little too stiff for him. Sould I be looking at steel or graphite shafts for him? He hits a 7 iron about 135 - 140 with them at the moment but gets too many bad shots. He has tried a few demo clubs in both steel and graphite and finds that the regular fllex gives him a much better consistancy. Any recommendations?

Graphite or lightweight steel in reg flex sounds appropriate from the info you have given us. If you're dad has any problems with joint soreness, (elbows, wrists etc.) then graphite is the best option as they are best for shock absorbtion. His 7 iron distance is not too bad though, so he could definately still use steel if he prefers the feel. They are a cheaper option and in general give better dispertion although graphite has come a long way in recent years. Graphite is lighter which can help increase swingspeed. Average weight being about 65-70 grms while lightweight steel is around 90 grms. A good lightweight steel shaft that plays smooth and not too stiff to flex is the nspro gh950 or the true temper tx 90.
As is always the case if he can afford it get fitted by a professional club fitter.