15th November 2009, 08:55 PM
Where should we have it?

(I win)

Jarro
15th November 2009, 09:48 PM
Nudgee

BrisWesty
15th November 2009, 09:48 PM
After the success of this year, we're probably going to need to have a venue that can handle at least 56-60 places (and suitable on-course or nearby accommodation).

It's also getting to the scale of almost needing to break it into A-Grade (players) & B-Grade (choppers) and an overall champ.

Scottt
16th November 2009, 04:12 AM
Have it late in Nov and I will come (pref at Hope Is, Brookwater or Robina Woods if it has to be oop norf).

dc68
16th November 2009, 05:59 AM
Ok, so we need to also discuss dates... I vote for October sometime.

Jarro
16th November 2009, 06:40 AM
I think we should have them mid-year.

Dazza
16th November 2009, 07:16 AM
Is Rydges Capricorn Resort too far north?
Yeppoon Golf Club nearby, and Rockhampton Golf Club just down the road as well for lead up events.

ddasey
16th November 2009, 07:38 AM
I think we should have them mid-year.

Then we don't have to wait as long :smt023

Webster
16th November 2009, 07:42 AM
...and you wont have to put up with Scottt being there. July or August would be best.

Eag's
16th November 2009, 07:44 AM
If we can get a similar deal to this year and also get tee times for 60+ players, then Pelican should get the nod again.

kpac
16th November 2009, 07:45 AM
Seriously what about Barny? Will have 2 courses by then..... and Lost Farm is suppose to be awesome, and we all know how good BD is! Flights are nix this far in advance. Transport and accom would be competitive considering there's so many of us. I know it isn't in QLD but it'd have to go close to the best 2 course destination possible.....?
Is it possible?

BrisVegas
16th November 2009, 08:00 AM
I think the champs should probably stay in SEQ to maximize numbers. Having said that, I'd definitely travel to play with enough notice.

Daves
16th November 2009, 08:19 AM
I think the champs should probably stay in SEQ to maximize numbers. Having said that, I'd definitely travel to play with enough notice.

Agree BV. More than happy to travel also, but reality is most have work commitments etc that would make that very difficult, not to mention costs. I would throw in Bonville as an outside SEQ option, that maybe just within travel range for most.

Perhaps we should list the realistic options then reduce to a short list.?

goughy
16th November 2009, 08:23 AM
I agree that a SEQ venue would get the biggest numbers, but there's nothing saying a champs anywhere from NQ to Vic or Tas woudn't be a success. Some people travel every year without fail. So for one year a lot of qld'ers have to travel.

Not saying it should or shouldn't happen. Just that I don't think it would be a fail.

Webster
16th November 2009, 08:25 AM
Keep it in QLD. I like QLD.

kpac
16th November 2009, 08:28 AM
Yes no doubt SEQ will draw the biggest crowd - but goughy is right, some interstaters are travelling every year..... one year (maybe not next but at some point) there may be an opportunity for qldrs to travel?

Pelican was very good - personally thought Kooralbyn was a better 'venue' but cannot fault either.

BrisVegas
16th November 2009, 08:34 AM
Pelican was great. The only negative I can think of is that there wasn't really much "atmosphere" on the finishing hole. The drunken peanut gallery we had at Tweed, Pac Harbour, KV & Palmy were pretty cool. But that's about all I can think of.

In retrospect, playing Pac Harbour off the golds on Friday was a pretty good compromise. No hotel options there though yet are there?

Eag's
16th November 2009, 08:39 AM
I would have no problem travelling if the Champs moved North or South.

just
16th November 2009, 08:42 AM
Pac Harbour double gets my vote.

henno
16th November 2009, 08:48 AM
I'd have no problem going back to Pelican. The lack of convenient accommodation makes Pac Harbour a little less appealing. (As do those f-ing bunkers!)

razaar
16th November 2009, 08:53 AM
Pelican is tops and they now know what to expect.

shavey
16th November 2009, 09:58 AM
Guys, it's going to be tough going elsewhere and getting the same deal. It comes down to price for alot of people and that extra $20 or $30 per day will hurt the bottom line.

Whilst there might be better locations, we would be hard pushed to get rates like we did at Pelican for golf and accommodation. Heck, even the pro-shop boys were whinging about the rate I'd organised.

sms316
16th November 2009, 10:02 AM
If we play there again I am definitely packing binoculars.

Lucasto23
16th November 2009, 10:09 AM
Lets do pelican again off the reds this time :)

shavey
16th November 2009, 10:10 AM
If we play there again I am definitely packing binoculars.

Rawlo and I couldn't keep our eyes of the glass sided pool and spa :shock: which looked to have five girls in there. I think it was on the 5th, Sunday morning.

sms316
16th November 2009, 10:12 AM
That's the one!

shavey
16th November 2009, 10:14 AM
Was almost worth the swim across the canal to say hi :)

kpac
16th November 2009, 10:14 AM
Rawlo and I couldn't keep our eyes of the glass sided pool and spa :shock: which looked to have five girls in there. I think it was on the 5th, Sunday morning.

There was a cracker out on sunday - super spot too! landing zone off the tee. We were caught behind 'tiger sunday' and quite happy to wait! :D

shavey
16th November 2009, 10:15 AM
And this is where the Bushy would have come in 'real' handy! ;)

Jono
16th November 2009, 10:22 AM
Pelican gets my vote too. And I'll get a later flight next time so I can stay for the presentations. ;)

henno
16th November 2009, 10:30 AM
Whilst there might be better locations, we would be hard pushed to get rates like we did at Pelican for golf and accommodation.

The deal you wangled was a dead-set bargain, shavey. Well done!

I think I just about blew more cash on poker and side bets than on accom. and green fees. :mrgreen:

sms316
16th November 2009, 10:32 AM
I think I just about blew more cash on poker and side bets than on accom. and green fees. :mrgreen:
I can organise poker lessons for you and Shavey if you like.

:mrgreen:

poidda
16th November 2009, 10:34 AM

Yes and Grunt nearly ruined it for everyone by nearly hitting them.

henno
16th November 2009, 10:41 AM
I can organise poker lessons for you and Shavey if you like.

Let me guess. Re-raise with mid-pair and low kicker, call any further bets, then pull runner-runner out of your arse.

sms316
16th November 2009, 10:43 AM
That works for me,

Eag's
16th November 2009, 10:51 AM

Pity it didn't hook a little more and clock one of the hotties. I would have been accross that lake faster than Ian Thorpe to give CPR =P~ ;)

shavey
16th November 2009, 11:59 AM
Pity it didn't hook a little more and clock one of the hotties. I would have been accross that lake faster than Ian Thorpe to give CPR =P~ ;)

Something tells me Thorpie wouldn't bother...

Eag's
16th November 2009, 12:18 PM
Something tells me Thorpie wouldn't bother...

I was referring to speed mate not sexual preference :)

Grunt
16th November 2009, 04:49 PM
Was almost worth the swim across the canal to say hi :)

That was sort of the plan, I tried to get it to carry over to their yard, Swim over club in hand and play a great shot to the green. Then just walk back and dive in and swim back to the course.
Got to keep em keen ;)

Minor_Threat
16th November 2009, 05:07 PM
I like the Bonville idea...

Grunt
16th November 2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry has to be SE QLD.

Ozgolfers have to travel, deal with it guys. We need resort courses to get the Saturday tee times. Where ever it is I will be there.

Davemason
16th November 2009, 05:13 PM
How about Coral Cove GC

A great course with accommodation on site , cheap meals at the club house, and we would have the place to our own with a mid to late morning tee off for Saturday and an early tee time Sunday.

We also have a great course near by (Bargara GC) for ether a Friday round or Monday

PeteyD
16th November 2009, 05:48 PM
How long is the drive from Brisbane?

Would interstaters have to fly to Rockhampton?

ddasey
16th November 2009, 06:03 PM

Pete

It is in Bundy. Easily do the drive in just under 4 hrs.

Sydney Hacker
16th November 2009, 06:04 PM

Well you could fly to Rocky, but the 3 hour drive back in the direction you came from might put you off !

PeteyD
16th November 2009, 06:08 PM
The 4 hour drive is a bit of a put off I think. (or 3 from Rocky). We'll have to wait and see what they say.

SEQ is pretty good as it is easy for most to get to.

Sydney Hacker
16th November 2009, 06:09 PM
The 4 hour drive is a bit of a put off I think. (or 3 from Rocky). We'll have to wait and see what they say.

SEQ is pretty good as it is easy for most to get to.

You could fly to Hervey Bay, but realistically you would be mad to move it out of SEQ.

Grunt should organise a mid year champs down Sydney way and see how many he gets to that...

ParMaster
16th November 2009, 06:10 PM
I haven't played in any champs events but I agree it should almost always be in SEQ. One year you could change it around or something but SEQ would maximize numbers and is most convenient for all of us.

Daves
16th November 2009, 06:23 PM
You could fly to Hervey Bay, but realistically you would be mad to move it out of SEQ.

Grunt should organise a mid year champs down Sydney way and see how many he gets to that...

Like that idea, was going to suggest something similar. A non SEQ weekend in the first half of the year.

Grunt
16th November 2009, 06:26 PM
I'll try and do it, Saturday round may be a little tough but Sunday should not be a problem.

Sydney Hacker
16th November 2009, 06:27 PM
It would be easier to organise it for the Newcastle area Grunt. People can still fly into there and then you have some resort courses to choose from.

Sydney Hacker
16th November 2009, 06:29 PM
I was actually going to see if there was any interest on a mid year trip to Bonville by anyone.

jaybam
16th November 2009, 06:36 PM
Bonville and Coffs Harbour wouldnt be too bad.

Hux
16th November 2009, 06:36 PM
Pac Harbour - zero accomodation on site. Bribie Is GC has the Fairways Resort directly behind it. Could play Pac Harbour Sat morning and I would be extremely suprised whether I couldn't organise 60 tee slots on Sunday outside (or inside the comp) as the normal Sunday comp is usually under 90 people. Meals and drinks are cheap at the club house.

Accomodation next door - wonder whether we could organise a deal with early deposits?
http://www.fairwaysretreat.com.au/tariffs.html

18th at Bribie is fantastic for crowd watching
http://www.bribieislandgolfclub.com.au/courses/30

That said - P Waters was good. Tough for everyone it seems.

Just throwing it out there anyway.

Jarro
16th November 2009, 06:37 PM
Been there done that Hux

Moe Norman
16th November 2009, 07:08 PM
Twin Waters isn't a bad venue, good accommodation and a very forgiving resort layout.

No probs going back to Pelican though, works out very well for me

Jono
16th November 2009, 07:09 PM
Twin Waters isn't a bad venue, good accommodation and a very forgiving resort layout.

:smt038

dc68
16th November 2009, 07:53 PM
As long as you can get access to cash I am happy.

shavey
16th November 2009, 07:54 PM
The only PITA issue with Twinnies is the distance between course and cot.

If the coppers are out Sunday morning, we might only have half the field in with a chance.

cutter1
16th November 2009, 07:59 PM
Haven't been to a champs before but am keen, SE Qld or Bonville would be my preferences.

Ned
16th November 2009, 08:09 PM
I was actually going to see if there was any interest on a mid year trip to Bonville by anyone.

Some where in this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=364382&postcount=105)is mention of an annual thing at Ballina for Drunken, maybe this could be incorporated for the the mid year event ????:-k

A lot of the Champs and what they stand for (including the OZgolf community) is based around both Jaster and Drunken as they did represent a lot of its values.

Been lots of posts about doing the Ballina thing in Drunken's memory but not a lot of actual golfing action!:smt108

Moe Norman
16th November 2009, 08:31 PM
The only PITA issue with Twinnies is the distance between course and cot.

If the coppers are out Sunday morning, we might only have half the field in with a chance.
They provide a courtesy bus.

markTHEblake
16th November 2009, 08:36 PM
The Open championship is always played in UK. There has never been any talk about moving the No 1 championship of golf to another country but what did happen was other events were formed and then also gained a higher status eventually.

The seeds of some great Ozgolf events have been planted elsewhere and are starting to flourish. They might only be small events, but there was a time when Ozgolf was probably only 3-4 blokes as well.

P.s. Jaster already has his own charity day which we are supporting every year, so a day out at the Ballina Open would be a good one for a Drunken day, .... no pun intended :-)

Hux
16th November 2009, 08:37 PM
Been there done that Hux
No worries mate - just a suggestion. Wasn't it any good?

Eag's
16th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Hux, it was a top weekend but not as good as this years :)

adlo
16th November 2009, 09:08 PM
For all those wanting to travel early in the year, come to WA in March for the Sandgroper Champs. Easy.

The extra you spend on flights will be saved in green fees.

Jarro
16th November 2009, 09:23 PM
No worries mate - just a suggestion. Wasn't it any good?

It wasn't bad mate, but i still reckon the best Champs are the ones where we don't have to get in a car and drive anywhere until the whole shebang is over :)

NK, good call on the midweek event in Ballina. It's something we should've already done :(

mike
16th November 2009, 09:25 PM
Has to be SEQ. No question.

Ned
16th November 2009, 09:27 PM
It wasn't bad mate, but i still reckon the best Champs are the ones where we don't have to get in a car and drive anywhere until the whole shebang is over :)

NK, good call on the midweek event in Ballina. It's something we should've already done :(

Yes well if its practical and enough notice is given, Ill do my best to get myself and NKJ along.

In reading the posts, Ping Launcher Junior (if he gets there as well) could be a great mentor to my young fella (as log as he doesn't teach NKJ too much about giving the old man a belting)

And thats assuming the younger OZgolfers are permitted.

Hux
16th November 2009, 10:10 PM
Has to be SEQ. No question.

After attending my first and loving it, I'd go anywhere given enough time to organise flights and leave.

Maybe Brucey and Kev could organise Kingston Heath and RM :mrgreen:

I did like the earlier suggestion on Capricorn resort but from memory it was about $800 for 4 nights and 5 games there in September plus $200 in flights. Plus no drinks cart and the bar in the clubhouse is closed midweek AND the usual no own grog.

Ned
16th November 2009, 10:13 PM
After attending my first and loving it, I'd go anywhere given enough time to organise flights and leave.

I did like the earlier suggestion on Capricorn resort but from memory it was about $800 for 4 nights and 5 games there in September plus $200 in flights. Plus no drinks cart and the bar in the clubhouse is closed midweek AND the usual no own grog.

+1

BrisWesty
16th November 2009, 11:02 PM
And thats assuming the younger OZgolfers are permitted.

Why not. We'd just have to keep them away from people who might corrupt them which leaves them with ...

Jack!

mike
16th November 2009, 11:12 PM

Has to be SEQ. Or at the very least Sydney or Melbourne. Too far from a major city makes it too difficult and expensive for out of towners to get there. Flying to Brisbane and then on to Rocky or Newcastle would cost a fortune. And flying Cairns to Rocky? It would be cheaper to fly to Perth.

I plan to go to the 2010 champs. I'm pissed off I missed this one.

PeteyD
17th November 2009, 06:35 AM
Main issue is getting 60 (WE do keep growing) people on a course on a Saturday. For this we really need the SEQ resort courses, so it kind of limits us to the Goldie and Sunshine Coasts. We are also limited by cost, in that for the last 2 years Shavey has got us some incredible deals with golf and accomodation. The year before that was Kooralbyn which was dirt cheap (no wonder they went broke!). And before that we got onto Pac Harbour really cheap.

I would be quite happy to go back to Palm Meadows, or Pelican as both were great. Twin waters sounds ok but catching a bus in the state I was in on Sunday Morning .... hope they have buckets :D

poidda
17th November 2009, 08:17 AM
How about Coral Cove GC

A great course with accommodation on site , cheap meals at the club house, and we would have the place to our own with a mid to late morning tee off for Saturday and an early tee time Sunday.

We also have a great course near by (Bargara GC) for ether a Friday round or Monday

This isn't a serious post is it? Both goat tracks in comparison.

Davemason
17th November 2009, 08:33 AM
This isn't a serious post is it? Both goat tracks in comparison.

Man you never let up do you.

Besides if they don't compare to a top resort cse at least the are cheap to play and stay and would compare to Nudgee GC

poidda
17th November 2009, 08:37 AM
Man you never let up do you

Seriously. To have the champs at those 2 courses just aint a good idea.

In comparison.

Coral Cove = Hills International
Bargara = A rough, boring version of Wynnum

Do you really think people want their yearly golf trip to play courses like that?

Davemason
17th November 2009, 08:41 AM
Seriously. To have the champs at those 2 courses just aint a good idea.

In comparison.

Coral Cove = Hills International
Bargara = A rough, boring version of Wynnum

Do you really think people want their yearly golf trip to play courses like that?

What ever.

At least I'm making suggesting for a venue to play and just not knocking others

poidda
17th November 2009, 08:45 AM
I suggest Blackbut and Kingaroy.

Cheap, plenty of accommodation, friendly locals, and unlimited peanuts. The courses may not be as good as Gympie or Dalby, but at least they are cheap.

Davemason
17th November 2009, 08:47 AM

Cheap, plenty of accommodation, friendly locals, and unlimited peanuts. The courses may not be as good as Gympie or Dalby, but at least they are cheap.

Well done mate I'll play there and it is close to home for me as well

kpac
17th November 2009, 08:50 AM
GET A ROOM YOU TWO!

Poid maybe hills int could put us up at the school for the weekend if we held it their ;)

poidda
17th November 2009, 09:17 AM
GET A ROOM YOU TWO!

Poid maybe hills int could put us up at the school for the weekend if we held it their ;)

Obviously you'll need a bed big enough for three you dirty sly dog. :smt079

Courty
17th November 2009, 05:14 PM
I reckon the Champs should always be held in SEQ. It's the origin and spiritual home of this community, no matter how large it may grow in the future.

Also, being close to a metropolitan centre cuts down on extra travel for those who have to fly in from further afield.

zigwah
17th November 2009, 05:35 PM
yup same as the AFL grand final should stay in melbourne, so the champs should stay in Queensland.

Theres nothing stopping someone organizing a vic and nsw champs?

Hux
17th November 2009, 05:50 PM
yup same as the AFL grand final should stay in melbourne, so the champs should stay in Queensland.

Theres nothing stopping someone organizing a vic and nsw champs?

What and end up segragating like those WA Wankers :mrgreen:

I would travel to most capital cities. Even regional. Tiger had a deal a while back of $20 each way to a heap of different ports from a variety of capital cities and to places like Rocky, Whitsundays etc. Same with Virgin et al deal come up all the time, but as a DINK its pretty unfair for me to be suggesting things on cost - its not much of an obstacle for me.

The CHAMPS is growing probably cause it is accessible and relatively affordable for what it is...two rounds and accomodation on a quality course. The folks with kids need that carrot to get it past the family financier. The closer it is to the communities greatest numbers of active participants, places the lowest drain on finances in travel and the least impact on time away from family for the event.
Essentially SEQ is easy and captures a lot of people. Doesn't mean it can't be held elsewhere but probably means less people will attend.

kev
17th November 2009, 06:05 PM
I reckon the Champs should always be held in SEQ. It's the origin and spiritual home of this community, no matter how large it may grow in the future.

Also, being close to a metropolitan centre cuts down on extra travel for those who have to fly in from further afield.

+1

I'll get back to you on Kingston Heath and RM...

zigwah
17th November 2009, 09:09 PM
What and end up segragating like those WA Wankers :mrgreen:

I would travel to most capital cities. Even regional. Tiger had a deal a while back of $20 each way to a heap of different ports from a variety of capital cities and to places like Rocky, Whitsundays etc. Same with Virgin et al deal come up all the time, but as a DINK its pretty unfair for me to be suggesting things on cost - its not much of an obstacle for me.

The CHAMPS is growing probably cause it is accessible and relatively affordable for what it is...two rounds and accomodation on a quality course. The folks with kids need that carrot to get it past the family financier. The closer it is to the communities greatest numbers of active participants, places the lowest drain on finances in travel and the least impact on time away from family for the event.
Essentially SEQ is easy and captures a lot of people. Doesn't mean it can't be held elsewhere but probably means less people will attend.

As far as i can see the champs up north will always be the big one but smaller ones for the guys that can't travel every year would be nice?

Daves
17th November 2009, 09:14 PM
So for SEQ options (course plus close accomodation) we have;

1. Club Pelican
2. Hyatt Coolum (is the PGA there next year as well?)
3. Sanctuary Cove? (will the Palms makeover be finished?)
4. Hope Island
5. Royal Pines
6. ?

Ned
17th November 2009, 09:17 PM
Noosa Springs ? (Maybe inflexable with deals though)

Moe Norman
17th November 2009, 09:38 PM
Hope Island is going private and would be cost prohibitive.

SEQ Options imo.

Pelican
Twin Waters
Coolum
Pac - Bribie double
Royal Pines
Sanctuary Cove
Palm Meadwos
Noosa Springs - Tewantin double

Others without onsite accomm

Robina - Colonial Double
Glades

I can't see any of them beating Pelican for value

Daves
17th November 2009, 09:42 PM

SEQ Options imo.

Pelican
Twin Waters
Coolum
Pac - Bribie double
Royal Pines
Sanctuary Cove
Palm Meadwos

Robina - Colonial Double
Glades

Agree, the only alternative that I see as being potentially appealing would be playing Hyatt Coolum a month or so before the PGA. I suspect it would be too pricey though.

AndyP
17th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Hyatt would be at least 30, if not 50 dollars more for one round of golf. Accommodation would probably have a bigger difference.

Shavey knows the business, and is getting us an extraordinary deal at Pelican. If he can organise it again, we would be crazy not to book it in.

henno
17th November 2009, 09:50 PM
If he can organise it again, we would be crazy not to book it in.

Yep, absolutely the best value deal without question.

BrisWesty
17th November 2009, 10:02 PM
Moe, is there any love for returning to Coolangatta Tweed? It may be a bit quicker to get there now the Tugun bypass is in.

That said, Pelican did us proud. BTW, has anyone else who filled in the comments card (always read the small print!) received an e-mail from Club Pelican asking for their postal address so they can receive their free round for their birthday?

markTHEblake
17th November 2009, 11:35 PM

I suggested Kingaroy last year. :-)

I reckon next year should be a dry Champs.

This one virtually was, i thought i was at a nuns christmas lunch given the amount of grog not been drunk.

apart from PD wobbling around the room, I didnt see anyone that could even remotely hold a candle to some of the fine efforts at Kooralbyn

That said, Pelican did us proud. BTW, has anyone else who filled in the comments card (always read the small print!) received an e-mail from Club Pelican asking for their postal address so they can receive their free round for their birthday?

would it be a coincidence if 50 blokes all had birthdays on the same day?

Ned
18th November 2009, 06:09 AM
Plenty of healthy debate and some realistic suggestions on this...........

Either way the sooner a date and venue can be decided and CONFIRMED, the sooner leave passes from work and family can be obtained and for the travellers cheap flights taken advantage of.

So is it up to the current thread starter to get moving or Shaveys good form is continued ?:-k

AndyP
18th November 2009, 06:54 AM
Moe, is there any love for returning to Coolangatta Tweed? It may be a bit quicker to get there now the Tugun bypass is in.It gets discussed every year, and it's always the same answer. It cannot be done because we can't play there on the Saturday.

When we played it before, it was for 36 holes on the Sunday. We have too many to do that now, and we wouldn't want to.

That said, Pelican did us proud. BTW, has anyone else who filled in the comments card (always read the small print!) received an e-mail from Club Pelican asking for their postal address so they can receive their free round for their birthday?I was told about it, filled out the form, then packed the form in with all the stuff I carted away. :roll:

shavey
18th November 2009, 07:09 AM
I'm up at Pelican again this weekend and are catching up with the GM. I've already mentioned that the boys were keen to return. I've also asked the groups coordinator to check if they have any events on and what the maintenance schedule is looking like.

Personal preference would be to play Bribie instead of Pac Harbour on the Friday as it's completely different. Resort courses are nice but if the opportunity is there to throw another course in the mix, that would be it for mine.

Anyways, I'll do so ground work this weekend to see what the chances of getting the same rates are.

PeteyD
18th November 2009, 07:10 AM
apart from PD wobbling around the room, I didnt see anyone that could even remotely hold a candle to some of the fine efforts at Kooralbyn

Pretty piss poor effort from everyone I thought.

Grunt
18th November 2009, 07:33 AM

It was sedate that night for sure.

goughy
18th November 2009, 07:35 AM

You couldn't even count the fingers on your hand properly (shazza has evidence). So what would you know...

Even if it was medicinal!

BrisVegas
18th November 2009, 07:39 AM

pffft. Whilst I wasn't stumbling around, I was certainly pickled. Most alcohol I've consumed at a champs yet.

Daves
18th November 2009, 07:41 AM
Some of us are just quiet drunks:lol:

BrisVegas
18th November 2009, 07:41 AM

SEQ Options imo.

Pelican
Twin Waters
Coolum
Pac - Bribie double
Royal Pines
Sanctuary Cove
Palm Meadwos

Robina - Colonial Double
Glades

Add Brookwater to the 'other options without onsite accom'.

just
18th November 2009, 08:31 AM
If we pitch tents in Dion's backyard it has onsite accomodation.

Eag's
18th November 2009, 08:32 AM
I got stuck into the booze as per usual, but had no nasty hangover the next day for a change. Drinking 1.5 litters of water before bed may of had something to do with it :)

PeteyD
18th November 2009, 09:18 AM
You couldn't even count the fingers on your hand properly (shazza has evidence). So what would you know...

Even if it was medicinal!

This is true. I have been waiting for that photo to appear ... I also went all in on the cards when I realised I could no longer read them. I blame the medicines having a nasty reaction with the alcomahol. Had nothing to do with the quantity at all :D

shazza_rs
18th November 2009, 09:24 AM
pffft. Whilst I wasn't stumbling around, I was certainly pickled. Most alcohol I've consumed at a champs yet.

I do recall an almost falling off a chair incident :mrgreen::lol:

WBennett
18th November 2009, 09:37 AM
I'm planning on making my champs debut in 2010, and reckon you have the location spot on.

Queensland has a lot of course options, a lot of very good courses and there are direct flights to Brisbane from everywhere.

As a once a year venture, cost is a minor consideration. People whinging about spending x on accommodation and a round, where they have ho-ed a grands worth of gear in the last 6 months might have their priorities wrong.

I look forward to getting up there next year and meeting you mob (even if you are generally Queenslanders)

Choppa
18th November 2009, 11:44 AM
Add Brookwater to the 'other options without onsite accom'.

What are you talking about. Brookwater has onsite accommodation with a cimema room, and now a pool :mrgreen:

henno
18th November 2009, 11:49 AM
What are you talking about. Brookwater has onsite accommodation with a cimema room, and now a pool :mrgreen:

Dibs on the main bedroom. ;)

Jono
18th November 2009, 11:54 AM

Dibs on the cinema room. 8)

BrisVegas
18th November 2009, 12:05 PM

henno - we normally only share the main bedroom with choppa and mrs choppa. Do you& mrs henno want into the "inner circle" ?;)

goughy
18th November 2009, 12:17 PM
I do recall an almost falling off a chair incident :mrgreen::lol:

That was me, falling asleep at 9pm :oops:

Dibs on the cinema room. 8)

Dibs on the floating pool lounger! 8)

Jarro
18th November 2009, 12:19 PM
I'd have no hesitation going back to PW.

Bruce
18th November 2009, 12:27 PM
We were saying similar things about Palm Meadows last year.

Wherever we choose will work to some degree.

Davemason
18th November 2009, 01:23 PM
I see 4 factors in choosing a venue.

1. Can we get a 50+ group early afternoon Sat and mid morning Sunday.
2. Good quality course.
3. Accommodation on site or very close by.
4. Can anyone (Shavey) get a great deal on golf and accommodations?

PeteyD
18th November 2009, 01:25 PM
Shavey has been doing us wonders. Which reminds me if we want him to keep it up can those who have not paid the $10 for the room and pool table hire please sort it out!

just
18th November 2009, 01:31 PM
Pete
I know you have to try, but surely if the miscreants haven't paid by now, they are not going to, and it's up to the rest of us to make it up.

PeteyD
18th November 2009, 01:38 PM
Yea seems that way. Kinda sad.

henno
18th November 2009, 01:43 PM
Shavey, don't forget that the cash I gave you to square up my tab on Sunday also included the $10. Just making sure there wasn't a miscalculation. It's sad to think there are 4 tight-arses who can't part with 10 bucks.

Bruce
18th November 2009, 01:52 PM
Ah crap - I think one of them is me.

just
18th November 2009, 01:53 PM
Stone him!

kev
18th November 2009, 01:56 PM
That was his MC'ing fee wasn't it? :)

just
18th November 2009, 02:00 PM
Pffffft, we only put up with him as MC because he's free and he looks like a funnier version of Blakey, no way I'm paying for that!

BrisVegas
18th November 2009, 02:02 PM
speaking of which (MC-ing that is)...... Can the music swappers amongst us please sort out some music playlists for next years function room sessions. I ended up asking the guy behind the bar to put on the radio on Saturday night. He said he didn't have radio but put some CDs on.... We can do better I'm sure.

AndyP
18th November 2009, 02:10 PM
Did he have the 70s/80s CDs that we could still hear at breakfast the next morning? It was better than the Woolworths speeches we could hear when we first walked in.

Who does Bruce owe money to now?

GC
18th November 2009, 02:47 PM
I think we should have it at Pelican again great venue! just maybe a month or 2 earlier so that it's a little cooler for everyone.

adlo
18th November 2009, 07:08 PM
What are the reasons for people wanting to move it?

Had a look at the Pelican website and golf course. Looks like an absolute cracker of a venue.

just
18th November 2009, 07:10 PM
No reason, other than the ability to get a good deal. Without a decent deal it makes it an expensive exercise.

adlo
18th November 2009, 07:16 PM
Cool, makes sense. Cheers Just.

sms316
18th November 2009, 07:21 PM
I think we should have it at Pelican again great venue! just maybe a month or 2 earlier so that it's a little cooler for everyone.
Beware of coring....

just
18th November 2009, 07:23 PM
Personally, while I thought it was a ripping weekend, apart from a few holes which I thought were great, I didn't like the course. That could be coloured by the fact that I played like a spastic. I also had a few other minor complaints like slow bar service at the hotel and the cart girl didn't come around enough on course. Having said that I'd be back in flash if we could get a deal, because the overall experience was good.

Jono
18th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Personally, while I thought it was a ripping weekend, apart from a few holes which I thought were great, I didn't like the course. That could be coloured by the fact that I played like a spastic. I also had a few other minor complaints like slow bar service at the hotel and the cart girl didn't come around enough on course. Having said that I'd be back in flash if we could get a deal, because the overall experience was good.

It's quality, just. Not quantity. ;)

Ned
18th November 2009, 08:10 PM

Like the NAGA winner also being the Longest Driver on both days jono ?:-k

:razz:

BrisWesty
18th November 2009, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=AndyP;396976]It gets discussed every year, and it's always the same answer. It cannot be done because we can't play there on the Saturday.

When we played it before, it was for 36 holes on the Sunday. We have too many to do that now, and we wouldn't want to.

QUOTE]

No worries, missed the previous discussion(s).

Hux
18th November 2009, 08:14 PM

Hey Jono it was Wild Turkey and you added plenty so it was both qaility and quantity and you didn't want a second :mrgreen:

Actually its shite with Pepsi.

Actually the drinks cart sucked badly. Only Pepsi for starters!!!

BrisWesty
18th November 2009, 08:16 PM
would it be a coincidence if 50 blokes all had birthdays on the same day?

Mine's July 17. Hint, hint folks!

Hux
18th November 2009, 08:17 PM

The timing as is works for me. We have serious leave restrictions during the race formerly known as Indy and GC Schoolies so the in between is good. School holidays is peak as well.

I like looking like a Panda from my sunglasses tan.

razaar
18th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Mine's July 17. Hint, hint folks!
Mine too BW.:)

henno
18th November 2009, 08:59 PM
October is a better month. Around the 8th some time.

;-)

Jono
18th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Like the NAGA winner also being the Longest Driver on both days jono ?:-k

:razz:

LOL. Well I'm certainly going to work more on quality than quantity before the next champs. ;)

parlyboy
18th November 2009, 09:52 PM
I hear Canberra is pretty "cool" that time of year...lets go there...

markTHEblake
18th November 2009, 10:51 PM

How would you know?

PeteyD
19th November 2009, 06:17 AM
Why do people assume that I can't remember what happened?

markTHEblake
19th November 2009, 05:54 PM
Why do people assume that I can't remember what happened?

Well here is a conversation from Day 2 at Palm Meadows last year on the putting green.

Petey: How did you pull up from last night?
Blakey: I am fine
Petey: Umm, were you there, dont remember seeing you?
Blakey: gee mate, how blind were you?
Petey: oh yeah, good point.

ps. i wasnt there ;)

Ned
22nd November 2009, 10:29 AM
This sorted ?

just
22nd November 2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, Nudgee South both days.

Ferrins
22nd November 2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah, Nudgee South both days.
Throw in a warm welcome from John Downs followed by a few words of encouragement. I'd like to see that.

Jarro
22nd November 2009, 11:19 AM
We can get Nev to announce us onto the tee-box also 8)

BrisVegas
22nd November 2009, 02:42 PM
We can get Nev to announce us onto the tee-box also 8)

hahahahahaahahahh (from his cart no doubt!). :lol:

Ferrins
22nd November 2009, 03:54 PM
Nev's dog could be our event mascot.

PeteyD
22nd November 2009, 07:54 PM
No way that skinny dog is Nev's ;)

peter_rs
22nd November 2009, 08:34 PM
That was me, falling asleep at 9pm :oops:

It was not you.

grandmasterb
29th November 2009, 03:48 PM
To save me reading 8 pages was a destination actually decided on???

sms316
29th November 2009, 03:50 PM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9344/alexdc2.jpg

grandmasterb
29th November 2009, 04:19 PM
I take that as a no haha

henno
29th November 2009, 04:23 PM
I take that as a no haha

"Destination unknown" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNBFY5uthU)

PeteyD
29th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Oh yea, lets go there.

freddy a
29th November 2009, 09:04 PM
how about ocean shores: http://www.oceanshorescc.com.au/packages.html

poidda
30th November 2009, 09:52 AM
how about ocean shores: http://www.oceanshorescc.com.au/packages.html

$126!

Accom
18 holes of golf
breakfast
and 2 course meal

Grunt
30th November 2009, 10:30 AM
$126!

Accom
18 holes of golf
breakfast
and 2 course meal

All we need is the other 18 holes and it looks very good indeed.

kpac
30th November 2009, 10:48 AM
That is a pretty solid option - good course imo.

PeteyD
30th November 2009, 10:55 AM
Hotel is further away than stumbling distance I believe.

Bruce
30th November 2009, 11:05 AM
Hotel is further away than stumbling distance I believe.

Brisk walk?

Cart shuttles?

AndyP
30th November 2009, 11:11 AM
Available for Saturday? I doubt it.

grandmasterb
30th November 2009, 11:39 AM
Well im keen where ever it maybe next year, but hopefully there is a venue decided sooner than later so i can start organising it!!!

Jono
30th November 2009, 01:10 PM
Let's just do Pelican again.

poidda
30th November 2009, 01:12 PM
Let's just do Pelican again.

But Ocean Shores would be closer to Gold Coast airport for you! ;)

Jono
30th November 2009, 01:14 PM
But Ocean Shores would be closer to Gold Coast airport for you! ;)

:smt093

:lol:

markTHEblake
30th November 2009, 06:26 PM
Available for Saturday? I doubt it.

Worth asking. Everybody is doing it hard these days and we might be surprised how easy it is to get 50 golfers on for two days. The trend I am seeing these days is most clubs dont seem to have many people teeing off after 12.00. Emerald Lakes never had an issue with taking tee times off the members for large bookings.

They have funny time as well, so we can play later in the day

Hux
30th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Small hotel will be less flexible about cancellations, probably not have as many rooms and will it have a function room?

I reckon we see what Shavey comes up with in the New Year.

Lucasto23
30th November 2009, 07:04 PM
Agree with the giant

Eag's
30th November 2009, 09:25 PM
Spot on Hux.

shavey
1st December 2009, 06:23 PM
Email sent to both course and hotel GM this week; will keep you posted.

Ned
1st December 2009, 06:24 PM
:smt038

henno
1st December 2009, 06:31 PM
Legend.

PeteyD
1st December 2009, 06:32 PM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/6/10/633802202918840145-excellent.jpg

Grunt
1st December 2009, 06:46 PM
Great Work Steve.

BrisWesty
1st December 2009, 11:32 PM
Got a letter from Pelican. Free round on July 17

Lucasto23
1st December 2009, 11:43 PM

Love your work big guy:D

markTHEblake
2nd December 2009, 12:37 AM
Great Work Steve.

who is Steve?

Ned
12th December 2009, 02:06 PM

No news is good news ??????

shavey
14th December 2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry lads... flat out at work and just about to embark on a months leave...

Will try to remember tomorrow to follow-up

shavey
16th December 2009, 05:54 PM
Ok folks, I have managed to get the rates extended for the 2010 champs!!!!

Just awaiting confirmation of dates but currently 12-14 Nov or possibly 19-21 but I'll start a poll to confirm preferred dates once I find out when they are doing maintenance.

Does anybody have any objections to going back??

Only thing I would like to change is to play Bribie Island GC on the Friday for a non-resort option.

Daves
16th December 2009, 06:01 PM
Would be mad not to go back if the pricing is the same.

Agree, Bribie Island would be a good Friday option.

Great work Shavey.:smt038

markTHEblake
16th December 2009, 06:07 PM
Am happy with Pelican, the price is very good considering that range balls were included.

Jarro
16th December 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm more than happy to go back to PW ... it's a great venue 8)

Playing Bribie on the friday would be a good option too.

shazza_rs
16th December 2009, 06:22 PM
Bribie or caloundra would be good options for the friday game :)

PeteyD
16th December 2009, 06:23 PM
Nice work Shavey.

Hux
16th December 2009, 06:33 PM
Agreed on Bribie...I am a member plus they have no Friday comp generally except blue tee challenge once a month. Once we firm up on dates/numbers I will speak with the club and see about a discount rate there. I doubt they will do anything for us if there is a Blue Tee Challenge on but can always try.

Carts for players will be on a first in best dressed option but there would be close to enough for the 28 players we had this pre champs game.

Shaves....good work mate thanks.

Eag's
16th December 2009, 06:34 PM
Awesome stuff shavey, bring on 2010 8-)

Grunt
16th December 2009, 07:15 PM
Sounds good to me.

Ned
16th December 2009, 07:25 PM
So now we need to agree on dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

zacdullard
16th December 2009, 08:10 PM
They are the last week or 2 of school so I wont be able to miss them. :(

markTHEblake
16th December 2009, 09:02 PM
So now we need to agree on dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

why bother have an agreement. If we all cant organise our crap to get a weekend off (from the cook) 11 month in advance, then we should just give up now.

Shavey, just book the most suitable date. Check against course renovations, and do it.

p.s. ok, just check with Golfer69, he is the only one that we have to pussyfoot around with the date.

Hux
16th December 2009, 09:10 PM
p.s. ok, just check with Golfer69, he is the only one that we have to pussyfoot around with the date.

Yeah he can then drop us like a used condom and go off galavanting with his other "mates". We know when we aren't loved.

The slight continues - he bailed straight after BV's Xmas bash as well :shock:

Seriously - pick a date and go with it. I personally would prefer the earlier weekend so that I can take my wife out for dinner on her b'day but hey gofl comes first doesn't it :twisted:

Eag's
16th December 2009, 10:20 PM
Something tells me you may need to get one of your many putters surgically removed if you are away for her birthday Hux :lol:

Ned
16th December 2009, 10:35 PM
Something tells me you may need to get one of your many putters surgically removed if you are away for her birthday Hux :lol:

Mrs Hux is Irish, not Swedish!!!:smt108

Lucasto23
16th December 2009, 11:33 PM
awesome wrk shavey,and bribie is a great idea as a pre spanking to the champs.

AndyP
17th December 2009, 01:00 AM
Bribie or caloundra would be good options for the friday game :)
Or Beerwah.

PeteyD
17th December 2009, 07:03 AM
Caloundra or Headland might be better.

Or we could opt for a country track like Woodford for a change?

Jarro
17th December 2009, 07:17 AM
Woodford would be a good option IMO.

Fairly cheap green fees for a great little layout 8)

BrisVegas
17th December 2009, 07:38 AM
Good stuff shavey. Many thanks for your haggling on our behalf.

Caloundra or Woodford would be better options for Friday games I reckon. Just saves that hour drive afterwards. If you're gonna drive from Bribie (Woorim) to Caloundra after the Friday game, you might as well play in Brisbane at Nudgee or Brookwater etc., as in years past. But anyhoo, that's a whole other thread....

henno
17th December 2009, 07:42 AM
Woodford would be at least the same distance to Caloudra as Bribie would be. I'd say even longer.

But yes, it's annoying that it takes an hour just to go across the Pumicestone Passage (well, around it).

BrisVegas
17th December 2009, 07:47 AM
oops, i meant Beerwah, not Woodford. Yeah Woodford is miles away.

AndyP
17th December 2009, 02:33 PM
Nambour is just down the road. ;)

peter_rs
17th December 2009, 03:15 PM
Caloundra

Grunt
17th December 2009, 04:58 PM
Reckon I could have paddled to Pelican quicker than the drive we had.

Jarro
17th December 2009, 05:08 PM
Reckon I could have paddled to Pelican quicker than the drive we had.

A slight exaggeration perhaps :roll:

Eag's and I had a good run, no holdups at all :-k

Grunt
17th December 2009, 05:14 PM
What did it take? I would have had less than 10km to paddle wouldn't I? that would take just on an hour.

Jarro
17th December 2009, 05:22 PM
Bring your ski next time then ;)

Grunt
17th December 2009, 05:26 PM
If someone takes my gear I will paddle it for sure;)

Hux
17th December 2009, 09:45 PM
I thought the Bribie etc option was about being relatively close to the airport for those jetting in so they could still make the pre champs game??

I'd be happy with Nudgee...then at least I would have longer to drink on the way to Pelican with the driver - only managed 3 from Pac Harbour.

Heck if its distance at the end then Caloundra or Twin Waters or Hyatt Coolum at least you are on the coast. beerwah/nambour jeez whats the point? Heading west for basic club courses IMHO

Are some of you scared of Bribie ;-) (I am)

PeteyD
17th December 2009, 09:48 PM
Ooooo Hyatt Coolum might be good.

shavey
17th December 2009, 11:46 PM
Ooooo Hyatt Coolum might be good.

I was suggesting a public track to reduce the rates and for a change to the resort course setup. I'm pretty sure Hyatt only have the one open day a week unless you aren't staying inhouse. That is if you weren't baiting somebody there PD :-k

The concern was for a course close'ish to the airport to save the mexicans have to fly in too early. Remember we just got around at Pac Harbour and I anticipate next years Friday round to be bigger.

I think there have been a few worthwhile options which need further investigation.

Bruce
18th December 2009, 08:37 AM
From a traveller's perspective:

We could have got an earlier flight easily but didn't want to spoil the holiday mood too much with a 6AM flight. Anything that would be accessible for a leaving the airport around 10AM would be the right choice.

The company overshadows the course - no need to get too snobby about it.

PeteyD
18th December 2009, 09:11 AM
Nudgee Friday comp is a good warmup and not too expensive. Also won't tear a new one. And is nice and close to the airport. Does Caloundra have a friday comp?

AndyP
18th December 2009, 09:55 AM
And is nice and close to the airport. Does Caloundra have a friday comp?Not that I know of. Green Fees are at least $40.

damoocow
18th December 2009, 03:38 PM
great work once again Shavey - why you aren't negotiating at Copenhagen is a mystery to me..

shavey
22nd December 2009, 12:13 PM
Alrighty, we are going to need to move this baby forward by a month as to avoid renos. I'm thinking early Oct but are awaiting available date options.

Will those pose any major issues for anybody?

just
22nd December 2009, 12:16 PM
Excellent. Love your work. Early october is good for me.

henno
22nd December 2009, 12:16 PM
No issues here. Although it may clash with my 30th birthday, in which case you'll all have to put up with me getting blind stupid drunk in celebration.

WBennett
22nd December 2009, 12:25 PM
Legit question - Does Queensland have the Labour Day long weekend (NRL GF weekend) or are you thinking a week or two later than that?

just
22nd December 2009, 12:25 PM
No issues here. Although it may clash with my 30th birthday, in which case you'll all have to put up with me getting blind stupid drunk in celebration.

And that's different because....?

poidda
22nd December 2009, 12:26 PM
Alrighty, we are going to need to move this baby forward by a month as to avoid renos. I'm thinking early Oct but are awaiting available date options.

Will those pose any major issues for anybody?

It will be cooler in October also.

just
22nd December 2009, 12:27 PM
Legit question - Does Queensland have the Labour Day long weekend (NRL GF weekend) or are you thinking a week or two later than that?

Labour Day is on Labour Day (i.e. May Day and therefore May) in Queensland.

Eag's
22nd December 2009, 12:27 PM
No problem with Oct here.

Grunt
22nd December 2009, 01:18 PM
October School Holidays could be a drama here
1st week of October in NSW.

PeteyD
22nd December 2009, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure we won't get our rate during school holidays anyway! Late October would be great.

The NRL only cares about Sydney which is why they have the Night final before a NSW public holiday.

sms316
22nd December 2009, 03:48 PM
Personally (and only for selfish reasons), I would prefer any weekend except for the one following the NRL GF.

3rd or 4th weekend = perfect.

PeteyD
22nd December 2009, 03:51 PM

Saves me doing it next year!

AndyP
22nd December 2009, 04:02 PM
It's hard to have a huge problem with the date when the Champs takes priority over most things.

jaybam
22nd December 2009, 04:19 PM
It will be cooler in October also.

First thing i thought of too :smt038

markTHEblake
22nd December 2009, 04:36 PM
Anything but the 30th 31st for me.

Lock it in Shavey, 23rd October.

Jarro
22nd December 2009, 05:30 PM
Why don't we try and have the Champs in June like was mentioned somewhere previous ?

haysey
22nd December 2009, 06:43 PM
Why don't we try and have the Champs in June like was mentioned somewhere previous ?

I don't own a jumper. Or long pants.:wink:

Hux
22nd December 2009, 07:07 PM
I don't own a jumper. Or long pants.:wink:

Cause you are a tight prik?

haysey
22nd December 2009, 07:19 PM
Cause you are a tight prik?

Nope. Never gets cold enough to need em.

zacdullard
22nd December 2009, 07:28 PM
This is great, I can now attend. Also the earlier the better.

goonie
3rd January 2010, 04:57 PM
Is caboolture a possibility for the Friday round? Great little track and just off the highway and should be pretty cheap too.

October is good, a bit cooler and around my B'day too.

Courty
3rd January 2010, 07:46 PM
What's the chances of playing Coolum on the Friday?

Ned
3rd January 2010, 07:47 PM
What's the chances of playing Coolum on the Friday?

+1

AndyP
3rd January 2010, 07:58 PM
What's the chances of you shelling out $110+ for a round?

Ned
3rd January 2010, 07:59 PM
What's the chances of you shelling out $110+ for a round?

Plenty!

Hux
3rd January 2010, 08:01 PM
Me too. Hyatt would be great. IF not I will have to find an excuse to play it during the year instead.

AndyP
3rd January 2010, 08:05 PM
There's no way I would pay over $100 for any round of golf, if I can help it. You will not get a big group there for that price.

henno
3rd January 2010, 08:08 PM
Maybe we can go up Thursday and play Coolum? I can understand that for some people the exorbitant price they charge to play the place would turn off a few people.

Jarro
3rd January 2010, 08:09 PM
I won't play any course for over $100

Courty
3rd January 2010, 08:34 PM
As I don't get the opportunity to play these courses very often, I am prepared to lash out on a round like that when the opportunity presents itself. What can I say... I like to spoil myself occasionally.