PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Champs Venue

Pages : 1 [2]

Ned
3rd January 2010, 09:52 PM
Each to his own.

As Courty said, its not often the Bobsicles get to play on Quality Courses (Unless its Sea Temple as it is at the moment).

Consider also that Hyatt will be being prepared for the PGA, and has been through some major changes in the last couple of years, so as a once off for very good reasons then yes I will pay good coin to play....................once.

BrisVegas
4th January 2010, 10:11 AM
yeah, i'd play Coolum if it was $100. I'd guess it's more than that though. The GC courses are more like $150 nowadays aren't they? I haven't played it in 10 years and would love to see the new holes.

just
4th January 2010, 10:29 AM
I spoke to a few people about this after the latest champs and the trend over the last few years of the champs to greater expense is starting to give some Ozgolfers second thoughts. I know some of this is due to circumstances beyond control, like KV closing. Shavey gets us awesome deals for which he deserves kudos. But tacking on a $100 plus round onto an already expensive weekend, is just getting silly. All we will do is either get players not playing on the Friday to reduce expense or get a split of those who are willing to play Coolum and those wanting a cheaper option. All of which is counter productive for weekend which is for all Ozgolfers to get together and meet each other in the flesh.

BrisVegas
4th January 2010, 10:32 AM
fair enough. i'll go with whatever option gets the most participants. the vibe i'd gotten was that plenty of ozgolfers travel for the champs and weren't too bothered about paying 'a bit more' to pay the better courses.

just
4th January 2010, 10:38 AM
Vegas, I'm much like you, I'll play where the majority want to go, and my comment was not aimed at you, it was a general comment based on discussions I've had with Ozgolfer's at the champs and since.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 11:15 AM
As much as I would like to have a crack at Coolum, playing it the day before the Champs would count me out.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 12:48 PM
Let's go with somewhere like Beerwah for the warmup game.

Nice little course with some great holes, at a much more friendly price ;)

Grunt
4th January 2010, 12:51 PM
Let's go with somewhere like Beerwah for the warmup game.

Nice little course with some great holes, at a much more friendly price ;)

Agree a little course for a friendly warmup game

just
4th January 2010, 12:55 PM
I reckon its screaming out to play Caloundra on the Friday. Closest course to pelican and less stuffing around between post golf and piss drinking...oh and the price will be right.
But hey, thats just me.
Are you going to turn up?:shock::)

Jarro
4th January 2010, 12:55 PM
I reckon its screaming out to play Caloundra on the Friday. Closest course to pelican and less stuffing around between post golf and piss drinking...oh and the price will be right.
But hey, thats just me.

Thanks for the input Dick, but we're after opinions from people who actually plan to attend The Champs thanks very much :roll:

goonie
4th January 2010, 12:56 PM
Just arrange a game at coolum some other time of the year, or as a post champs game that way people can play the cheaper Friday game and the champs, or for those with the $$$ they can play coolum after the champs instead or as well as the Friday game.

goughy
4th January 2010, 12:58 PM
Always enjoyed Caloundra.

shavey
4th January 2010, 01:32 PM
Not sure if I posted earlier but we will be looking early to mid October. Just waiting to get back late Jan to confirm availability around existing bookings.

sms316
4th January 2010, 02:03 PM
For those who are keen on Coolum, give this a run during the year on a Thursday;

http://www.coolum.com.au/display_listing.asp?id=654&catid=480&pageid=82&cattype=

markTHEblake
4th January 2010, 09:56 PM
Just, are you thinking that Pelican Waters was expensive, or that the richer alternatives are expensive?

IMHO Pelican was just about the right price point. (not including the accommodation) any more than that and I would rather we look at splitting the course again, and find an economical members track for the sunday. If we play on the sunshine coast, any course on the return road trip would suit.

Personally i like the idea of playing the 2nd round at Nambour.

henno
4th January 2010, 10:08 PM
You bloody tight arses! The deal at Pelican for two days was unbelievable. Why look elsewhere to save the equivalent of what I'd spend on the first three beers at the bar anyway.

I understand financial constraints as much as anyone on ozgolf, and keeping the champs costs down is a good idea. But if we play Nambour on Sunday for no reason other than to save 20 bucks I'll be one cranky henno.

Coolum costs a fortune. Fair enough. I completely understand. I'd love to play a fun club track on the Friday. But don't go messing with the weekend itself just to save a few beers' worth of coin.

There's nothing stopping those so inclined to play Coolum from playing the Thursday or Monday or some other time during the year.

just
4th January 2010, 10:08 PM
Blakey
Pelican Waters for the Champs is fine. It starts becoming expensive when you start adding $100 rounds on the Friday. When you add up the Friday round, Champs weekend accomodation, flights, food and drinks, throw in a couple of bets, which seem to be compulsory these days, you are looking at a reasonable amount of cash. Some of us can afford it easily, for others it's a bit of an ask. I think it's reasonable to save some dough where we can, and the Friday round is one of those places.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 10:09 PM
You bloody tight arses! The deal at Pelican for two days was unbelievable. Why look elsewhere to save the equivalent of what I'd spend on the first three beers at the bar anyway.

I understand financial constraints as much as anyone on ozgolf, and keeping the champs costs down is a good idea. But if we play Nambour on Sunday for no reason other than to save 20 bucks I'll be one cranky henno.

Coolum costs a fortune. Fair enough. I completely understand. I'd love to play a fun club track on the Friday. But don't go messing with the weekend itself just to save a few beers' worth of coin.

There's nothing stopping those so inclined to play Coolum from playing the Thursday or Monday or some other time during the year.

What he said ^^^

just
4th January 2010, 10:11 PM

Henno
No where did I say there was anything wrong with the PW deal, I don't know where Blakey got that from. Read my above post for clarification.

henno
4th January 2010, 10:15 PM
Henno
No where did I say there was anything wrong with the PW deal, I don't know where Blakey got that from. Read my above post for clarification.

Understood, and I wasn't aiming at you at all. I was talking about how the discussion turned from an out-there question regarding Coolum to messing with the whole weekend to save a few bucks. Crazy.

Hux
4th January 2010, 10:38 PM
Yep lets leave this as a champs discussion then. I think Caloundra would be a great idea for the Friday round - can we get a courtesy bus too and from PW or if a mate of mine is still doing it I might be able to arrange a bus of some sort for a reasonable fee. We park at PW catch the bus there and back with clubs and away we go.

Let's consign Hyatt Coolum for a mid year game...the Winter Carnival I think we would find enough able to make it up for a Sat or Sunday then and give the northerners a chance to come down for a weekend if they like.

markTHEblake
4th January 2010, 11:11 PM
But if we play Nambour on Sunday for no reason other than to save 20 bucks I'll be one cranky henno.

i wasnt actually suggesting that to bring costs down, but rather to keep them at 'Par' if we ever have to spend much more to get a game on Saturday.

I have no issues with the prices paid at Pelican, but thats not going to last forever. One day we are going to have to find a new home again and having to find a 'combo' course again is a reality.

and if you didnt get that the Nambour comment was a piss take, i am very disappointed! Obviously nobody will want to play there the 'day after'

Ned
4th January 2010, 11:23 PM
Taking into account all considerations PW is the best for everything, we have a win on something’s like accom and golf fees as well as course availability but yes pay more coin for the ancillary things that go with staying their as well.

And yes that deal will run out, but until that happens make the most of it.

Either way Shavey is the organiser and not only from my personal experience last year but the feed back received then leave it to him to organise.

Alls I want to know is when its being held so I can trying and score holidays, con the in-laws to looking after the kids and Mrs Kelly can attend then.

General consensus has been to stay at PW, as for Friday round, I personally don’t like Caloundra but who knows what a doz or so of JW's, Mudguts, PeteyD and dc68 company will do.

Let’s just get the date settled and turn up for a good time.

AndyP
5th January 2010, 09:43 AM
$10 comp at Nambour on the Sunday is a great idea, Blakey.

Who are you guys arguing against anyway?

goughy
5th January 2010, 11:27 AM
If it's a bit earlier in the year and I can make the friday game then I'll have to stick the seats in the bus and can cart 12 of us!

petethepilot
5th January 2010, 10:26 PM
Got to keep it at PW for the weekend guys, so I can ask my mate, the member with the range balls to caddy for me!:D

Regards,

Pete

P.S. I think any of the courses nearby with a friendly bar would be good for the Friday. I will even try and attend this year to bring me back to the field!

PeteyD
6th January 2010, 05:40 PM
How goes the recovery?

petethepilot
13th January 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for asking Pete. So far so good although my tenuous grasp on reality is wearing. Crutches drive you fri*ging crazy and reading my extensive golf library is just making me more frustrated. Hope to be back chipping and putting at Indro in late February and playing by maybe May! Must resist buying too much new golf gear as a form of pacifier.

Will be at the 2010 champs, hopefully off a 7 or 8 handicap!!:razz: