PDA

View Full Version : Strathfield Golf Club

CSB
12th November 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi guys, have been looking around for memberships and Strathfield is one of the few in my price range (especially since they've waived joining fees for Spring).

Looking through the archives, the general feeling is that the course may be a little too straightforward. I'm not fussed about this so much. What I value the most is the condition of the grass, greens etc. I loved playing at the Coast, absolutely adored Twin Creeks, liked Richmond and Moore Park. Didn't care for Massey Park.

How does Strathfield compare? Could anyone comment on the condition of Strathfield golf course, the practice facilities etc? What other courses would you compare it to?

3oneday
12th November 2009, 09:29 AM
I've never played there, but I can't think of too many that rate it highly.

Scottt
12th November 2009, 09:31 AM
It was all the rage in the 80s. THE place to play.

Not a bad track. Only played it once, found it in decent condition. Shits all over Richmond in every regard. All IMO of course.

sms316
12th November 2009, 09:32 AM
Played it in a NSW Amateur a few years back. I think it had next to no practice facilities. I'm sure they have fixed it now, but the practice green was a bomb site.

I would think it would be a one-tee start there too. The 10th tee is a 20 minute walk away from the clubhouse.

CSB
12th November 2009, 09:38 AM
I read somewhere that they've got a 130m driving range (probably BYOBalls), a nice chipping green and a serviceable putting green.

I live close to the CBD, and joining fees put other places out of range. Really just want a decent place I can go have a hit after work without murdering my wallet.

Scottt
12th November 2009, 09:40 AM
Where do you live CSB?

CSB
12th November 2009, 09:42 AM
Surry Hills, Moore Park GC is 2 minutes down the road

Scottt
12th November 2009, 09:53 AM
Thought of Eastlake? They do a pay-as-you play membrship in addition to a full one.

Scottt
12th November 2009, 09:54 AM
Much better course than Strath.

sms316
12th November 2009, 09:59 AM
Have you considered Ashlar?

:wink:

ParMaster
12th November 2009, 10:10 AM
Hi guys, have been looking around for memberships and Strathfield is one of the few in my price range (especially since they've waived joining fees for Spring).

Looking through the archives, the general feeling is that the course may be a little too straightforward. I'm not fussed about this so much. What I value the most is the condition of the grass, greens etc. I loved playing at the Coast, absolutely adored Twin Creeks, liked Richmond and Moore Park. Didn't care for Massey Park.

How does Strathfield compare? Could anyone comment on the condition of Strathfield golf course, the practice facilities etc? What other courses would you compare it to?

There is a reason that Strathfield is cheap..

The course is IMO boring. There are really no great holes, mainly very straightfoward and the course is monotnous.

Strathfield is in fine condition. The fairways are good but the greens lack in speed and consistancy. They currently have 2 practice nets, a putting green/chipping green where you can't use more that a 48 degree wedge, a good chipping green and a very short driving range that is next to the 1st hole that you use your own balls on.

I don't rate it highly and can't really think of any courses to compare it to. And Richmond is a much better golf course IMO.

As Scottt said Eastlake would be a good option. It is good golf course, friendly members and pretty cheap. It is also much closer to you than Strathfield.

And FWIW Strathfield always rates at least 2 under par so beating your handicap can be difficult..

CSB
12th November 2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah Eastlake would be nice, but again price is swaying me away from it. I come under the intermediate age bracket for strathfield, so membership comes to only $860 a year vs eastlakes $871 subscription + $825 joining fee. Probably another consideration is that I wouldn't be paying for the full financial year, only until June-July next year so.

But Eastlakes still an option. It lacks practice facilities though, from memory???

sms316 - I used to be a member of Ashlar actually ...

ParMaster
12th November 2009, 10:15 AM
Eastlakes has a practice green and bunker that used the be the 2nd green. They also have a chipping green, putting green and 2 nets.

So they have the same facilities as Strathfield except they lack a driving range.

Is price your only concern? How often do you plan on playing the course?

Scottt
12th November 2009, 10:16 AM
Eastlake has a spare par three it uses for a range, near the halfway hut. If you drive up the dirt road off Wentworth Ave it's easy to get to.

In the current climate, don't just rely on prices on websites. Cold call the sec at a few clubs and talk a deal. You might surprise yourself.

CSB
12th November 2009, 10:22 AM
Price is definitely a concern but I can be persuaded either way.

If I'm honest with myself, I would be playing the most after work, 9 holes, time permitting and occassionally on weekends. Eastlakes is good because it is a lot closer to home than Strathfield.

Is Eastlakes, in your opinion, better value overall?

CSB
12th November 2009, 10:23 AM
BTW thanks for the advice guys, super helpful

Scottt
12th November 2009, 10:49 AM
Eastlakes can get busy on course, but for all I know, so can Strathfield.

Having commuted Penrith > Petersham for a year, I can say for certain that any road that links the city (I assume here that you work at that end of town) with Strathfield is a shitfight at most times of day, and certainly from 3pm till about 8pm.

That $800 joining fee is about $15 petrol a week, to look at it another way...

And don't forget it is customary these days at a lot of clubs to allow a joining fee to be paid over 2-5 years.

In my experience, proximity to your club has a major bearing on the amount you play and the enjoyment you get out of it.

ParMaster
12th November 2009, 10:49 AM
Well have you considered Marrickville then? It isn't a good course but it's certainly "different". lol

You could have a quick 9 there after work. At Eastlakes you couldn't really because the 9th hole is 3K's from the clubhouse.

If you joined Marrickville then you could play some 9's there after work and then you could play Eastlakes or another course on the weekends.

And yes Eastlakes is better value IMO.

Scottt
12th November 2009, 10:53 AM
I would caution against Marrickville, despite it having a super pro in Kylie Moulds. For similar money (maybe even cheaper) nearby you have Bardwell Valley, which, while still short and a bit of a track, is much more fun to play and has more younger members (just watch out for the foursomes and ambrose on Saturdays!). The likes of 3, 4, 6, 11, 12, 14, 16 and 18 are far and away better than any hole at Marrickville.

CSB
12th November 2009, 10:55 AM
yeah, not a fan of marrickville ...

I'm slowly figuring in terms of travel/playing time, I'd enjoy Eastlakes a lot more and will send a few enquiries later today.

Is it really that difficult to get from the ninth to the clubhouse? How about from the 18th?

Scottt
12th November 2009, 10:59 AM
Eastlake is an out and back routing 1-8 go out and 9-18 come back. But if it is quiet, no reason you can't play the holes north of Wentworth Ave (1-6, 14-18 ).

18 is next to the clubhouse.

I'm struggling to think of other options that might suit at that pricepoint.

CSB
12th November 2009, 11:00 AM
I really don't enjoy the shorter tracks that much. I used to play at Fairfield quite a bit, and I just can't get over the patchy, rough ground and slow greens and lack of practice areas.

I'd like to spend a good time on the practice areas, and generally, the shorter courses in Sydney don't have much to offer.

CSB
12th November 2009, 11:03 AM
After all this, I think I'm going to have a look at Eastlakes

Thanks guys

ParMaster
12th November 2009, 11:11 AM
Eastlakes and Bardwell would be a good option. BV isn't too bad of a course and some holes there are super.

Scottt
12th November 2009, 11:12 AM
No worries CSB.

ParMaster
12th November 2009, 11:21 AM
Your welcome. :)

Eastlakes is a very nice course but I ALWAYS play shit there. GL with your endeavours. ;)

jimandr
12th November 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm going to be a dissenting voice here.

The positives of Strathfield are that it is usually in great condition, as a 'private' course it isn't busy at all, it has midweek comps three days a week, and for a person in CSB's demographic it is great value.

The negatives are that it isn't very exciting, many of the members are pretty old, and the clubhouse isn't much.

There are some golfing similarities between it and Ashlar, now I come to think of it. Both courses are flat, nice fairways (but tree-lined) and usually nice greens, and just difficult enough without being penal. Scratch players probably find it too easy (as they may do with Ashlar), but its a reasonable test for the rest of us.

Eastlakes can be a very busy course because of its location. I'd pick Strathfield before it.

Scottt
13th November 2009, 01:01 AM
Jim, even if you lived at Surry Hills and wanted to play after work a lot?

CSB
13th November 2009, 08:58 AM
After some more thought on this, I'm reconsidering even joining a club considering that playing at Eastlakes in the twilight hours is $15 and Strathfield is a good 30 minute+ drive out from my place.

The main driving force behind wanting to join a club (apart from social, comps, handicap etc) is that I'm looking for somewhere I can leisurely go to to practice/play without having to spend more cash on practice balls and a licence to use practice /short game greens. Strathfield is probably 15min too far to do that and I'm not sure a membership at Eastlakes is worth it in this regard (though the course looks like a ton of fun)

jimandr
13th November 2009, 11:31 PM
Jim, even if you lived at Surry Hills and wanted to play after work a lot?

Yep.

The battle though Cleveland St and Southern Cross Drive isn't much worse than Parramatta Road. Once you get there, you'd be almost the only person on the course at Strathfield.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that Strathfield would have good recipocals.

MikeZone13 is a member of Eastlakes. He doesn't post here very often, but he can sell the course if he sees this thread.

Andrew
14th November 2009, 07:50 AM
After some more thought on this, I'm reconsidering even joining a club

CSB,

If you are unsure you may be better not to join a club as you suggest. Play some Twilight golf & some social rounds at a few courses over the next 6 months or so. By then you may have found a club/course that you feel you can commit to. To be a member of a golf club requires commitment to that club (or a reasonable amount of disposable cash) to justify the cost.

Have you thought of joining a social golf club? That way you may get to play a few different courses which will help you with your future decision.

KristianJ
14th November 2009, 09:38 AM
CSB,

If you are unsure you may be better not to join a club as you suggest. Play some Twilight golf & some social rounds at a few courses over the next 6 months or so. By then you may have found a club/course that you feel you can commit to. To be a member of a golf club requires commitment to that club (or a reasonable amount of disposable cash) to justify the cost.

I've decided to do the same thing in my search for a good value for money club in Sydney or even the mountains. I'm keen on a course that has good reciprocals, so for me it may even be worth me considering a rural course where I might go on holidays occasionally that has a good reciprocals list.

For example, here's Forster Tuncurry's list copied from their site - a fair few Sydney courses:

Ashlar Golf Club Ltd Blacktown Ph: (02) 9622 4300

Asquith Golf Club Mt Colah Ph: (02) 9477 1266

Bankstown Golf Club Ltd Milperra Ph: (02) 9773 0628

Bathurst Golf Club Bathurst Ph: (02) 6331 4144

Cromer Golf Club Cromer Ph: (02) 9982 3088 Pro Shop: (02) 9971 2263

Cumberland Golf Club Greystanes Ph: (02) 9631 0688

Everglades Country Club Woy Woy Ph: (02) 4341 1866

Katoomba Golf Club Katoomba Ph: (02) 4782 2205

Lithgow Golf Club Lithgow Ph: (02) 6351 3164

Muirfield Golf Club North Rocks Ph: (02) 9871 1388

Muswellbrook Golf Club Muswellbrook Ph: (02) 6543 1767 Pro Shop: (02) 6543 2128

Narrabri Golf Club Narrabri Ph: (02) 6792 2344

Orange Ex Services Country Golf Club Orange Ph: (02) 6362 5162 (Golf Hut)

Penrith Golf & Recreation Club Ltd Penrith Ph: (02) 4736 1633 Pro Shop: (02) 4736 1613

Queanbeyan Golf Club Queanbeyan Ph: (02) 6297 1669 Pro Shop: (02) 6297 2542

Sawtell Golf Club Sawtell Ph: (02) 6653 1006

Springwood Country Club Ltd Springwood Ph: (02) 4751 1122

Strathfield Golf Club Strathfield Ph: (02) 9642 0326

Wentworth Falls Country Club Wentworth Falls Ph: (02) 4757 1202

Plus I saw Bathurst's list and it's quite extensive too.

Scottt
14th November 2009, 08:31 PM
That's a pretty good list!

Andrew
14th November 2009, 08:50 PM
KristianJ,

You would want to check if all those clubs will honour their reciprocals.

There has been more & more Sydney golfers, over the last few years, join country clubs for cheaper membership & Sydney reciprocals. I have heard of quite a few Sydney clubs that have stopped honouring reciprocals or checking to see if you live in Sydney. (Drivers Lic., letter from home club, etc.)

Of course, many clubs still do honour reciprocal arrangements with country clubs, so it may be worth it.

KristianJ
15th November 2009, 12:27 PM
KristianJ,

You would want to check if all those clubs will honour their reciprocals.

There has been more & more Sydney golfers, over the last few years, join country clubs for cheaper membership & Sydney reciprocals. I have heard of quite a few Sydney clubs that have stopped honouring reciprocals or checking to see if you live in Sydney. (Drivers Lic., letter from home club, etc.)

Of course, many clubs still do honour reciprocal arrangements with country clubs, so it may be worth it.

I have that issue in mind for certain, Andrew :) Another option I'm thinking of is joining one of the clubs in the Blue Mountains, since from what I've read, they all share reciprocal rights with each other. Not sure whether this is correct or not, but would be reasonably nice if it is.

EDIT: Katoomba GC annual membership is $520, and Eastlake is one of the reciprocal courses, plus all mountains courses. Could be the way to go...