PDA

View Full Version : Ashlar Golf Club ???

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 06:39 AM
Just saw on the Today show a fire at a golf club in Springfield Ave, Blacktown, which would have to be Ashlar wouldn't it ?

The club house looked pretty much gone for the short shot they had on the news segment.

Grunt
10th November 2009, 06:42 AM
Sure would be, sounds very sus. Club trading badly, redevelopment fails to go through. Club burns down and who gains out of it no one except the developer who's offer was rejected by the club.

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 06:42 AM
They did mention the fire was sus...

Minor_Threat
10th November 2009, 06:46 AM
Yep definitely Ashlar..

Sounds dodgy indeed!

Scottt
10th November 2009, 07:19 AM
Sure would be, sounds very sus. Club trading badly, redevelopment fails to go through. Club burns down and who gains out of it no one except the developer who's offer was rejected by the club.

Why does the developer benefit?

The offer was not rejected, the club kept dilly-dallying on the vote required amongst the membership for the move to go ahead, and the developer got jack of it and walked away.

ParMaster
10th November 2009, 07:25 AM
And whats happened to the golf course?

sms316
10th November 2009, 07:38 AM
Who cares? It is a dog track anyway.

Scottt
10th November 2009, 07:57 AM
Well excuse me, Mr "I only work at Royal courses" :lol:

3oneday
10th November 2009, 08:04 AM
I'd be more concerned for the Pro Shop than the clubhouse, Col Bishop has been there forever.

Sounds suss, but I thought the Korean members wanted to build a 2nd level, maybe now is the time :lol:

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 08:07 AM
Who cares? It is a dog track anyway.

Quality post dimwit ! Haven't you got to be posting elsewhere about buggering Henno this weekend ???

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 08:08 AM
I'd be more concerned for the Pro Shop than the clubhouse, Col Bishop has been there forever.

Sounds suss, but I thought the Korean members wanted to build a 2nd level, maybe now is the time :lol:

Depending on what happens they may end up with a nice big new clubhouse as well as keeping their current location.

Of course they could also end up folding and having no where to play at all !

henno
10th November 2009, 08:09 AM
Quality post dimwit ! Haven't you got to be posting elsewhere about buggering Henno this weekend ???

He's the one who's going to be taking it in the Ashlar, not me. ;)

3oneday
10th November 2009, 08:15 AM
Depending on what happens they may end up with a nice big new clubhouse as well as keeping their current location.
Assuming they could afford to keep the insurance premiums paid ?

Scottt should be digging hard right now for the goss, Blacktown I think was his old haunting ground :)

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 08:17 AM
Assuming they could afford to keep the insurance premiums paid ?

Scottt should be digging hard right now for the goss, Blacktown I think was his old haunting ground :)

I'm sure the Blacktown Bugle is all over the story by now. Scottt will be ringing his "sources" as we speak to find out the story.

Scottt
10th November 2009, 08:20 AM
I had a geez at the Advocate website, but they have nothing yet. Standards have understandably slipped since I left :lol:

expect to see some info on www.blacktownadvocate.com.au (http://www.blacktownadvocate.com.au) later on, or try the shite paper on www.blacktown.yourguide.com.au (http://www.blacktown.yourguide.com.au)

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 08:23 AM
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sydney-golf-club-house-on-fire-20091110-i5r6.html

The above is the only link I can find about it so far.

Eldrick
10th November 2009, 09:06 AM
this sucks
i don't want to have to play Fox Hills exclusively
on the plus side bargains at fire sale!
let's hope its a new beginning for the place

PeteyD
10th November 2009, 09:23 AM
It's just the Ash golf club now.

Grunt
10th November 2009, 09:29 AM
Is a real shame if it goes under. I really like the course.
I doubt very much it will be rebuilt due to the fact that it so far off the main drag one road in location, it would struggle no matter what type/size of club goes in there.
Here's hoping it can come back from this. Sydney Clubs in general are struggling and this might be the final call for Ashlar Golf Club.

Grunt
10th November 2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.ashlargolfclub.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml

Club has made a statement about it.

Eldrick
10th November 2009, 09:48 AM
hopefully one of the bigger clubs around the area can come out and help
similar to the fox hills bailout a few years ago
they needed to have a restaurant or buffet. some other form of revenue other than just the golfers that stop for a few beers after their round

razaar
10th November 2009, 09:51 AM
Looking at the menu the woks would be running hot. I'm tipping a gas leak and an electrical fault as the most probable cause.

Sydney Hacker
10th November 2009, 09:55 AM
Looking at the menu the woks would be running hot. I'm tipping a gas leak and an electrical fault as the most probable cause.

Hmmm yes a gas leak.... :smt108

just
10th November 2009, 10:02 AM
Ashlar Golf Course is one of a small number of legitimate "St Andrews" courses in Australia and is in peak condition most of the year because of its abundant water supply.
This is from the front page of the club's website. WTF is a "St Andrews" course? Ive never been to Scotland but does St Andrews really look like this:
http://www.ashlargolfclub.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml

terrys
10th November 2009, 10:14 AM
I played my first game of golf at Ashlar on my 7th birthday, and I don't think anything has been done to the club house in the 35 years since then.

3oneday
10th November 2009, 10:49 AM
That's true, if there's been reno's probably the smoking section is about it.

The stale fire stench at Blacktown station this morning was quite noticeable. I suppose the first thing they do is get a school demountable full of pokies.

Fishman Dan
10th November 2009, 11:43 AM
It's just the Ash golf club now.

Bwahahahahaha! :lol:

3oneday
10th November 2009, 11:57 AM
http://blacktown-advocate.whereilive.com.au/news/story/major-fire-at-ashlar-golf-club/

sms316
10th November 2009, 06:13 PM
Well excuse me, Mr "I only work at Royal courses" :lol:
I call it as I see it. Ashlar is a rabble and if it goes under it won't be any great loss. What will be interesting is to see where the finger is pointed if/when this happens.

Scottt
10th November 2009, 06:32 PM
That's such a stupid and empty statement, Shorne.

It would be a tremendous loss for Blacktown, and a decent loss for golf in western Sydney. It's a decent course with some good holes and two well-supported midweek men's comps.

sms316
10th November 2009, 08:37 PM
Perhaps.

I reckon I could name 2 dozen courses which I have played which, if they went under, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Brings an interesting point though, if all of those courses died off, would their surrounding courses benefit from it?

Here is an example;

I grew up in Albury, where there used to be 3 courses (Albury, Thurgoona and Hume). Hume was always the goat track of the three, but all three clubs struggled to stay afloat. Finally Hume bit the dust, and their members joined Albury & Thurgoona, thus bringing in a welcome cash injection to both.

So my question is - would these clubs do the greater golfing community a favour if they just closed their doors?

(Kind of reminds me of the argument about canning South Sydney).

Fishman Dan
10th November 2009, 08:51 PM
SMS... there's **** all decent, affordable golf in Sydney. Losing Ashlar would be disastrous, especially in an area that's home to what... 1.5 to 2 million people?

You make a good point though.. who gives a stuff about 3 courses in 1 hick town?

3oneday
10th November 2009, 08:55 PM
I reckon I could name 2 dozen courses which I have played which, if they went under, wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

probably should do a poll of the people who matter, the members.

Ashlar closes and all the other courses around get harder to get on, that would suck.

markTHEblake
10th November 2009, 08:58 PM
Finally Hume bit the dust, and their members joined Albury & Thurgoona, thus bringing in a welcome cash injection to both.

Good point but if it was my club, I would be hoping one of the others would fall on its sword.

Fishman Dan
10th November 2009, 08:59 PM
Ashlar closes and all the other courses around get harder to get on, that would suck.

The Fox Hills Tuesday night timesheet ballot at the RSL may need to have Quarter and Semi finals?

razaar
10th November 2009, 09:02 PM
Is there talk of Ashler closing? Plenty of clubs have lost their club house through fire - Bribie GC twice I believe. The members will rally if they want it bad enough.

cobra
10th November 2009, 09:06 PM
Perhaps.

I reckon I could name 2 dozen courses which I have played which, if they went under, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Brings an interesting point though, if all of those courses died off, would their surrounding courses benefit from it?

Here is an example;

I grew up in Albury, where there used to be 3 courses (Albury, Thurgoona and Hume). Hume was always the goat track of the three, but all three clubs struggled to stay afloat. Finally Hume bit the dust, and their members joined Albury & Thurgoona, thus bringing in a welcome cash injection to both.

So my question is - would these clubs do the greater golfing community a favour if they just closed their doors?

(Kind of reminds me of the argument about canning South Sydney).

Looking at the golf courses in and around Ashlar
we have
Fox hills .......Ordinary by comparison and dangerous
Dunheved.. Course is quite good but disappointing clubhouse and no pro
Castle Hill ..costly and virtually private
Cumberland...Basic but improving with recent water access
In that area covered by those courses we have a population of approx
500,to 600,000 people at a minimum
Surely there is a need and demand for Ashlar to exist and be profitable

I would have thought that the proposal to relocate out to stonecutters would have been more risky in terms of maintaining existing members and attracting new members
I refer to the shellharbour club deal for Shellcove which lost a lot of members .If you play there on Saturdays you will probably have social players in front or behind you,but the club doesnt have a choice needs the money

zipptopp
10th November 2009, 09:10 PM
Well I beg to differ with sms316.

The last thing this area needs is the loss of another public access golf course in NW Sydney. Since I moved to the area some 20 years ago we have lost Rouse Hill and Kellyville (albeit moved further west) both public access courses which served a particular market. Yes, we still have Castle Hill if you are prepared to play only on Mondays. Stonecutter's ridge will eventually open but I'm not sure of it's current membership model.

Whilst Ashlars management could have done with improvement, the course and club provide a benefit to this part of Sydney that offers no other viable alternative at present or in the foreseeable future. Sydney is not blessed with an over abundance of golf course and the loss of any is regrettable.

Yes I am a member, but I'm not blind to it's faults. There are many ways the course could be improved but I'll live with it's faults because it's close to home and membership gives me access to other courses that I can play when I choose.

Kirk Buckley
10th November 2009, 09:49 PM
I call it as I see it. Ashlar is a rabble and if it goes under it won't be any great loss. What will be interesting is to see where the finger is pointed if/when this happens.

Hello all, first time poster here - couldnt resist!

sms316, what a short sighted and frankly stupid post. Firstly, I dont see how you suddenly became the expert on NW Sydney golf courses considering you are from Brisbane. Your opinion may be that the course is a goats track but clearly there are many who do not. I must say it must be really easy to sit behind a computer and a pseudonym (up in Brisbane) and talk about a golf course in another state. Maybe if you spent more time on the golf course instead of behind your computer you would probably be a better player.

As for the comments regarding Stonecutter Ridge, a date for voting was set up for members however the offer was pulled prior to this being able to go to vote. I find it amusing that everyone can come up with their conspiracy theories as to why the offer was pulled, without considering the obvious (and true answer), that the effects of the Global Financial Crisis added more risk to the transaction at that point in time.

Further, to the comments regarding the club closing down, I dont know where this can be seen to be coming from, obviously insurance will cover a lot and the club will be back and running again. I wouldnt mind betting that once the building is handed back over to the Club following crime scene investigations that golf will be taking place again that weekend - watch this space all the doubters!

The sad part about this is all the history that will have been lost from the club - almost 80 years worth - including pennants and memorabilia from those who have taken their game further. Bricks and mortar can be replaced however sentimental items cannot.

AndyP
10th November 2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe if you spent more time on the golf course instead of behind your computer you would probably be a better player.
I have no idea about Ashlar, but unless you play off scratch or less, you might want to do a bit of research before making comments like this. The Brisbane comment is off the mark too.

henno
10th November 2009, 10:49 PM
Hahaha, criticising a scratch golfer for "spending too much time in front of the computer", and to boot he's been in QLD for a month or two only.

You're right AP, he missed the mark on both counts.

razaar
10th November 2009, 11:13 PM
Hahaha, criticising a scratch golfer for "spending too much time in front of the computer", and to boot he's been in QLD for a month or two only.

You're right AP, he missed the mark on both counts.
What scratch golfer are we talking about?

henno
10th November 2009, 11:14 PM
What scratch golfer are we talking about?

Ah true, that chopper's off 1 now isn't he. (SMS)

Dotty
10th November 2009, 11:20 PM
Our social club plays annually at Ashlar, and it is very popular for the cost. It is perfect for our 100+ golfers, ranging from twice-a-weekers to twice-a-yearers, and the club treats us well.

There is also a horde of local members waiting around the first tee for us to vacate the course. (These aren't in a comp, but just having a free hit as part of their one-off $xxx per year subs.)

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that this 'value-for-money', whilst popular with local and visiting players, means less the funds available to run a club.

I hope the club does bounce back, and I hope the players return the favour by spending a few dollars over the counter, pre- and post-round.

markTHEblake
10th November 2009, 11:31 PM

Welcome President of Ashlar golf club.

ps. The gentleman doesnt hide behind an acronym. I know where his momma lives, and several of us can hide behind him.

Scottt
11th November 2009, 06:12 AM

sms316, what a short sighted and frankly stupid post. Firstly, I dont see how you suddenly became the expert on NW Sydney golf courses considering you are from Brisbane. Your opinion may be that the course is a goats track but clearly there are many who do not. I must say it must be really easy to sit behind a computer and a pseudonym (up in Brisbane) and talk about a golf course in another state. Maybe if you spent more time on the golf course instead of behind your computer you would probably be a better player.

As for the comments regarding Stonecutter Ridge, a date for voting was set up for members however the offer was pulled prior to this being able to go to vote. I find it amusing that everyone can come up with their conspiracy theories as to why the offer was pulled, without considering the obvious (and true answer), that the effects of the Global Financial Crisis added more risk to the transaction at that point in time.

Further, to the comments regarding the club closing down, I dont know where this can be seen to be coming from, obviously insurance will cover a lot and the club will be back and running again. I wouldnt mind betting that once the building is handed back over to the Club following crime scene investigations that golf will be taking place again that weekend - watch this space all the doubters!

The sad part about this is all the history that will have been lost from the club - almost 80 years worth - including pennants and memorabilia from those who have taken their game further. Bricks and mortar can be replaced however sentimental items cannot.

I assume by now someone has pointed out SMS is a scratch gol,fer, which makes the comment about improvement funny, even if I do share your frustration with his post.

But let's call a spade a spade abou the member vote.

The club delayed it several times and it wasn't due to the GFC (I prefer that acronym to stand for Gigagntic F**king C**kup!). Their best bet was to do it as soon as the developer (Pacific something?) made the approach.

Information sessions were insufficient and members' concerns took too long to address, juicing their confidence.

Indeed this could be a blessing in disguise if they manage the re-build well and end up with a venue/facility the locals want.

Here's the guarantee: if the deal ever gets put back on the table and the members take it, the development of the Ashlar site is a done deal with the council.

If you're a golfer not tied to the club, the best result is the club staying put so both courses remain open.

Sad that they lost Won Joon Lee's course record card, though.

Sydney Hacker
11th November 2009, 06:49 AM
probably should do a poll of the people who matter, the members.

I think that is the best point that has been made out of all of the comments. Golf in Sydney compared to the rest of the country is a very expensive excercise.

If you remove one of the more affordable, decent options in that area, golf as a whole will suffer for it.

While SMS's comments are his own opinion, being employed in the golf industry I would of thought he should of given some thought to the game of golf as a whole and not his own little slice of the pie.

sms316
11th November 2009, 07:26 AM
Welcome Kirk.

3oneday
11th November 2009, 08:05 AM
Captain Kirk sounds better :)

I've been a member of Ashlar, but I hated sitting there for over an hour on Friday night waiting for my ****ing number to be called. Cost me too much in the pokies so I left :lol:

However, it's already been said the course will only close for a few days... it's not like a ****ing fire storm swept through the place or anything !

Scottt
11th November 2009, 08:19 AM
Which is half the reason Shorne's scenario from the bush won't work.

Blacktown has 300K people and 5 golf courses (once Stonecutters opens), of which three are right on the edge of the LGA and draw members from Penrith (Dunheved), Fairfield and Holroyd (Cumbo and Fox Hills).

AlexMc
11th November 2009, 05:54 PM
It kinda does work, because whilst there were 3 courses in Albury (Hume, Albury and Thurgoona), there are a fair few close by (Wodonga, Cobram, Yarrawonga, Corowa, Tocumwal). It's probably the only country town that he probably could have used as an example!

Kirk Buckley
11th November 2009, 10:13 PM
3oneday - something tells me I may know you ;)

Funny everyone jumps up in arms whether I am a Scratch Golfer. To answer your question, yes actually I do play off a figure that low and coincidently am a former State Representative (twice), but enough about me :razz:

As per previous comments regarding watch this space, the Club will be open for Golf on the weekend and further to 3oneday's comments - booking in will take place this Friday, albeit under the stars via demountable buildings.

Scottt you seem to be the resident expert regarding the Stonecutter's Deal, what are you basing your information on - seems interesting that you consider to have a sound opinion of the story - considering what the Advocate published was simply opinion from a handful of members. (Btw - I actually used to deliver the Advocate as a schoolboy back in the day :) )

The developer is Urban Pacific Limited (which is ultimately part of Macquarie Bank).

Note not only will Won Joon's Course Record be gone but also a fair bit of memorabilia from when he was part of the Eisenhower team, not to mention the original clubs which were used when the course first opened and a tonne of other history.

razaar
12th November 2009, 03:08 AM
3od has lots of friends especially in the far west. It is sad that the club's valuable golf memoribilia has been lost as these things can never be replaced.

Scottt
12th November 2009, 06:07 AM
Scottt you seem to be the resident expert regarding the Stonecutter's Deal, what are you basing your information on - seems interesting that you consider to have a sound opinion of the story - considering what the Advocate published was simply opinion from a handful of members. (Btw - I actually used to deliver the Advocate as a schoolboy back in the day :) )

The developer is Urban Pacific Limited (which is ultimately part of Macquarie Bank).

You need to correct your facts.

I personally spent a week backgrounding the story after months of following the movements, speaking to 50+ members as well as UP several times and attempting to speak a fw times to Craig Scott, who was reluctant to say anything of value. I understand why, he and the board were in a tough spot.

If you are CS, you know that is the case. If you are not, feel free to ask him. In the end the story held until after I moved OS and I chose not to stick my nose in from the other side of the world. The net result was that nothing of note changed, perhaps that's why it never ran.

As a journalist, I can see merit in both outcomes. Blacktown has very little greenspace that can be developed, especially so close to the CBD and transport links, but it also has a shortage of sporting facilities, so either way the city both won and lost.

As a golfer, I never want to see a course close, especially one that provides the game in a high-need, low socio-economic area at a fair price (and that I have played since I was 12 and have a strong emotional link to).

Andrew
12th November 2009, 07:21 AM
Funny everyone jumps up in arms whether I am a Scratch Golfer. To answer your question, yes actually I do play off a figure that low and coincidently am a former State Representative (twice), but enough about me :razz:

Hilarious! We weren’t talking about you being a scratch golfer, we were referring to SMS. How big is your ego.

You really need to read people’s post more closely.

Fishman Dan
12th November 2009, 07:28 AM
Scott - you spent a whole week on it? Did you ever consider any other reasons the story didn't run?

Scottt
12th November 2009, 07:43 AM
Scott - you spent a whole week on it? Did you ever consider any other reasons the story didn't run?

Yes, I did. Well, I had other things to do, but for one week I made it my primary focus. For one main reason: if it had happened (or still does), it would be one of the biggest stories in the area in recent years. There will be tremendous reaction against it from many quarters and the repurcussions will be significant.

In the end, there was no development in the story, so no need for an update of any great magnitude.

3oneday
12th November 2009, 08:06 AM
Ashlar member told me this morning (at Marsden 8)) that the course was in the best nick he'd ever seen.

Now I know the preso, maybe he'll invite me for a hit ;)

Eldrick
12th November 2009, 01:13 PM
Ashlar member told me this morning (at Marsden 8)) that the course was in the best nick he'd ever seen.

Now I know the preso, maybe he'll invite me for a hit ;)

Played last week.It is looking very good hopefully the fire won't have any impact on the course

markTHEblake
12th November 2009, 06:00 PM
Hilarious! We weren’t talking about you being a scratch golfer, we were referring to SMS. How big is your ego.

Dwaynes long lost twin brother.

3oneday
12th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Spoke with another Ashlar member tonight, he doesn't know who Kirk is ??? :confused:

WeekendHacker
13th November 2009, 10:09 AM
Spoke with another Ashlar member tonight, he doesn't know who Kirk is ??? :confused:
Steve Buckley is the Ashlar Club captain. thinking this is his son.

3oneday
13th November 2009, 10:13 AM
Welcome President of Ashlar golf club.
this threw me, I always believe what MTB tells me ;)

Matt 3 Jab
18th November 2009, 12:13 PM
I played ashlar on sunday for EA shield.

Best greens ive played on in a long while, even the lakes greens didnt stand up to them.

I like Ashlar and hope it re-builds and recovers.

KristianJ
18th November 2009, 12:36 PM
I'll be heading over there next week with a mate of mine for an afternoon hit. Very much looking forward to seeing how it's like.

3oneday
18th November 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm supposed to be playing there soon too.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
26th November 2009, 11:33 AM
So theyre back up and running - with the golf games that is?

Scottt
26th November 2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, demountable clubhouse in the carpark.

KristianJ
26th November 2009, 10:09 PM
Well, the round was pretty enjoyable...paired up with a teenage kid who was playing there for school sport (apparently his school has a $5 deal with the course for social sport) for the back 9, and then with my mate for 1-9.

The fairways are very well kept for kikuyu, and whilst I can't speak for the quality of the greens compared to The Lakes (and shall not try and guess :lol: ), they were generally nice and on the whole rolled true, albeit slightly slow. Some patches on 14, and the hole on 12 almost looked like it was cut by a toddler with a spoon. I should have taken a phone pic, but it almost funneled into the cup and the cut wasn't at all clean. Probably the only reason that my 35m chip from the back left runoff went in. Some work was being done on the surrounds of the 5th green, and there was a pretty ordinary temp green about 50m forward.

I'd definitely go back there again.