PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Ozgolf Matchplay Events.

markTHEblake
14th February 2005, 02:49 PM
A Matchplay Championship. what do you think?

If we get 32 players, there is only 5 rounds, so if we allow 2 months for individuals to organise each match, shouldnt be a problem, and would be completed by the end of the year.

Trung
14th February 2005, 02:51 PM
A Matchplay Championship. what do you think?

If we get 32 players, there is only 5 rounds, so if we allow 2 months for individuals to organise each match, shouldnt be a problem, and would be completed by the end of the year.

:?:

If a QLD resident player is drawn for an away match at NSW. Would he/she prepares to travel? Vice versa... :idea:

amanda
14th February 2005, 02:55 PM
Hmmm - how about have different state sections in the draw?

terryand
14th February 2005, 02:57 PM

Qld top half,NSW bottom half.

Final played at the Champs :smt102

Terry.

amanda
14th February 2005, 03:00 PM

Qld top half,NSW bottom half.

Final played at the Champs :smt102

Terry.
I was thinking bottom quarter - since there are definitely more Qlders than NSW ppl.

Would we need qualifying?

Bruce
14th February 2005, 03:42 PM
Does that leave me and FG to battle out the Victorian spot?

Jarro
14th February 2005, 04:27 PM
sounds like a great idea Blakey 8)

McMw
14th February 2005, 06:11 PM
have a m'play ship in Qld, and one in NSW...winner to meet up somewhere...

how many OzGolfers in each state??? 20 in Qld??? 10 in NSW???

Onewood
14th February 2005, 06:21 PM

State of Origin Bruce.....add AndyP into your area :D

AndyP
14th February 2005, 07:26 PM

State of Origin Bruce.....add AndyP into your area :D
I know I've been playing OK, Kev, but to send me to another state to avoid playing me, is a bit pathetic.

Flowergirl
15th February 2005, 01:23 PM

Yes it's lovely how we Victorians are always included isn't it - NOT!!!!!

We'll have our own matchplay one day - and we won't include them from the North :twisted:

Jarro
7th March 2005, 05:59 AM
just thought i'd drag this topic up again ...... sounds like a great idea, but might be a bit hard to organise :?

are you still keen to get this thing off the ground Blakey :?:

should we call for a show of hands for people that would be keen to participate :?:

AndyP
7th March 2005, 08:25 AM
are you still keen to get this thing off the ground Blakey :?:
As has been discussed before, Blakey is an ideas man, not a can-do man.

should we call for a show of hands for people that would be keen to participate :?:
I think it would have to be separate for the individual states/areas.
I'd prefer it if the rounds were social, and therefore completely matchplay, instead of combined with a stableford or other comp, so it has a real matchplay feel. But I'm not sure if that is do-able.
I'll put my hand half-way up.

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 09:27 AM
I'm keen to play in the NSW portion, and IF I manage to beat anyone at all, and make it to the grand final, I might make a trip somewhere too.....but I'm 100% in for the NSW portion of the event.

Just tell me where and when, I'll being the intimidating length and match evening crappy putting stroke......:oops:

Speirsy11

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 09:33 AM
I'm keen to play in the NSW portion, and IF I manage to beat anyone at all, and make it to the grand final, I might make a trip somewhere too.....but I'm 100% in for the NSW portion of the event.

Just tell me where and when, I'll being the intimidating length and match evening crappy putting stroke......:oops:

Speirsy11

Drive for show... I'll happily take 4-iron / 6-iron all day for my bogey-a-hole and towel you up :lol:

3oneday
7th March 2005, 10:20 AM

Speirsy11

Drive for show... I'll happily take 4-iron / 6-iron all day for my bogey-a-hole and towel you up :lol:my money's on Speirsy, sorry Dan. 4 iron 6 iron, with a hover :P , just won't get you home.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

amanda
7th March 2005, 12:24 PM
This sounds like fun - count me in - I've never played matchplay against guys (except Brad - though sometimes I think he lets me win!).

Jono
7th March 2005, 01:39 PM
I'll be in the NSW section as well.

We can have the matchplay final on the Saturday before the Ozgolf Champs. I'm sure the NSW finalist would be happy to fly up Saturday morning, play (and beat :wink: ) the Qld finalist before joining others for the evening piss up ... :lol:

Iain
7th March 2005, 01:51 PM
I think its a stoopid idea.
If we can't organise one game for the champs without a truckload of complaints, how can we organise 16 or 32 games for matchplay at different venues.
In future Blakey, keep your ideas to yourself.

NaturalGolfer96,

It wouldn't have to be up to one person to organise the games? We could just do up a draw (Random or otherwise) and let people organise games themselves within a certain time, and then move onto the next round.

Geez, I thought with age came knowledge...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :P :P

Iain

markTHEblake
7th March 2005, 01:56 PM
We

yeah thats always the problem.

Dont worry about it, I have a master plan..... all will be revealed in due time.

(damn - Iain revealed the secret)

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 02:12 PM
It's a good concept, but it's hard to get most players together often enough, let alone to play matchplay.

Trung bends over backwards to arrange a monthly-or-so hit, but that's as good as it gets. We just don't have enough publicly available courses in Sydney - especially coming into winter.

A round-robin type 'pool' event could have been done, but it would have to start at the beginning of summer.

I'm with stoopid, it's hard enough to organise a site-wide stroke event :roll:

3oneday
7th March 2005, 02:35 PM
NaturalGolfer96,
:lol: :lol: :lol: com'on G, surely you can get yourself up for a game :shock: 8) 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

peter_rs
7th March 2005, 02:42 PM
I will back Iain idea, It wasn't that hard to come up with. If its match play it doesn't matter how many people play on the course that day becuase you only win or lose against the other golfer.

So would this be playing true match play(no hcp) or the social version 3/4 of the difference in hcp(eg is a 4 marker plays a 16, the player on 18 gets 9 strokes). I would go for the social version with state pools with random pairings. If you start soon you could allow a month peroid for each match and still have the finials at Champs.

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 03:06 PM
I got 2 words - Fireball Matchplay.

At the end of one (both) rounds at an OzGolf event, hand in the cards and rattle off a round of fireball.

Can i get a "Hell Yeah!!" :?:

AndyP
7th March 2005, 03:12 PM

At the end of one (both) rounds at an OzGolf event, hand in the cards and rattle off a round of fireball.

Nah! It's not the same.
No matchplay pressure.

Flowergirl
7th March 2005, 03:19 PM
Just face it guys......this event is just not gunna happen. NO way will you guys be able to agree..just no way :shock: :D

AndyP
7th March 2005, 03:28 PM
Nah! It's not the same.
No matchplay pressure.

I'm with Pippy.
Where's the subtle skills of not giving a one footer.
The throat clearing at the top of the backswing.
The "other door" clearing during the putting stroke.
The "OK...i'm one down comment", when you're actually two down.
The miracle up and down for par, when the opponent lips out for birdie from 6 feet...
The heading off for beers early after a big win.

Onewood
7th March 2005, 03:35 PM

HELL YEAH!! only way it's going to work 8)

Great idea Fishman start a nomination thread and let the games begin :P

Don't worry about the comments above :wink: they need to use all there sledging skills instead of there golfing skills :D

markTHEblake
7th March 2005, 03:45 PM
you nobs.

under the fireball matchplay format, you play an actual matchplay against an opponent, for the full 18 holes.

after that the winners matches are played virtually using hole by hole scores until there is a single winner.

See the Fireball thread
http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1217

Onewood
7th March 2005, 03:48 PM
you nobs.

under the fireball matchplay format, yuo play an actual matchplay against an opponent, for the full 18 holes. yeh. we can do that on diff course
after that the winners matches are played virtually using hole by hole scores until there is a single winner.to see who wins that match

Jarro
7th March 2005, 03:57 PM
scratch the Fireball :idea: .. sounds too complicated :roll:

go with plan 1 Blakey 8)

Flowergirl
7th March 2005, 03:58 PM
I rest my case........... :wink:

Jarro
7th March 2005, 04:11 PM
And of course, jarro crashes out in the 1st round. 8)

i might crash early, but i'll come out of the blocks hard and fast :!: :lol:

Jono
7th March 2005, 06:34 PM
I don't understand all the negativity and I don't understand what the big deal is. Simple really.

1) Get the names of the people who are keen to take part.
2) Make up a draw, dividing into the QLD half and NSW half.
3) It's up to the two people involved to get their match played by a certain date.
4) If the two can't get together for the match before the due date, they both disqualify.
5) The finalists meet on the Saturday before the Ozgolf Champs for the finals of the Ozgolf Matchplay Championship.

One thing that Blakey might want to consider is that of home course advantage. If one player has home course advantage over the other, perhaps we should deduct 1 or 2 strokes from his handicap? :?:

So let's, first of all, have a show of hands. Who wants to participate?

QLD

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro

NSW
1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 06:51 PM
Better add Fishsmell_Dan to the NSW bracket....he called me out so he better hope he doesn't get me in Rd 1.....Hey Dannyboy, You go ahead and hit 4 iron 6 iron.....I'll do the same...... :lol:

Bring it on...... :P

Speirsy11

I love Match Play, this is gonna rule....... :D

drunken
7th March 2005, 07:07 PM
I'll be in it

TS
7th March 2005, 07:57 PM
NSW

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS

markTHEblake
7th March 2005, 08:04 PM
Ok, so basically between Iain and Jono, you have got it all worked out. and yes it is very simple.

There wont be a problem with home club advantage as the two golfers will organise their own matches, one of them would have to be an outright twit to play at his opponents home course.

I do have a concern over organising this event over a wide geographical area. If we arrange to play a final at the Championships, what if one of the persons doesnt turn up (or both). Then we have a non event after a 12 month buildup.

Its simpler to play this event within our local regions. The logistics are much easier to manager. I dont think its unfair if the brisbane boys play this event and others cant participate. Its not any different than organising any other local Ozgolf Day, nobody complains that they cant play in the Windaroo day because its not in their area.

I have a plan for a Matchplay event we can all play in, something along the lines of the Fireball Format. As long as everybody is happy to throw in the $5 comp fee up front.

Onewood
7th March 2005, 08:14 PM
QLD
1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood

NSW
1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda

drunken you play in NSW or QLD region :?:

davidp
7th March 2005, 08:44 PM
Okay I'm in. I've got some strokes to use on just about everyone here. :D :D

QLD
1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp

NSW
1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda

Trung
7th March 2005, 08:48 PM
NSW

1 Speirsy
2 Jono
3 Amanda
4 TS
5 Trung

Bring it on. :D

Trung
7th March 2005, 08:51 PM
Ok, so basically between Iain and Jono, .

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

terryand
7th March 2005, 08:51 PM
Why not

QLD
1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza

Terry.

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 08:55 PM
I assume rankings for the two brackets will be determined by OzGolf money list rankings?

Also, does the #1 rank get a rest if we have uneven numbers?

Speirsy

terryand
7th March 2005, 09:00 PM
I assume rankings for the two brackets will be determined by OzGolf money list rankings?

Speirsy

And to be a true matchplay championships it has to be off the stick doesn't it Rob :?: :roll:

Terry.

davidp
7th March 2005, 09:01 PM

Speirsy

And to be a true matchplay championships it has to be off the stick doesn't it Rob :?: :roll:

Terry.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 [-o< [-o< [-o<

Speirsy11
7th March 2005, 09:03 PM

Speirsy

Terry.

lol

I'm all for it if you want to play off the stick......I was just curious how we are going to do the ranking. We could go off Hcp, but since it's net, it might be more fun if we use "the money list".....But hey, if you guys are up for playing off the stick, I'm all for it :D

Speirsy

Keza_G
7th March 2005, 09:04 PM
Token QLD Female Player ?

QLD

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza
8 Keza

davidp
7th March 2005, 09:06 PM
Token QLD Female Player ?

QLD

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza
8 Keza

Ah, Keza, I don't think there's anything token about a female who can outdrive a lot of the blokes here... :)

damoocow
7th March 2005, 09:17 PM
this sounds like fun - [oops should stop that, I think that was a positive post, damn these alcohol free days]

QLD

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza
8 Keza
9 damoocow

damoocow

Flowergirl
8th March 2005, 07:46 AM
Gee thanks guys for including VICTORIA in this event.

Victoria

1. Flowergirl

Come on down Bruce!!! :wink:

peter_rs
8th March 2005, 08:28 AM
QLD

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza
8 Keza
9 damoocow
10 Peter_rs_644

3/4 of the difference in hcp is the way to go.

Jono
8th March 2005, 08:33 PM

Why 3/4? Don't they normally play the full difference? :?:

AndyP
9th March 2005, 08:01 AM

Why 3/4? Don't they normally play the full difference? :?:
I have heard of the 3/4 difference, but have only played full difference.

Supposedly the low handicappers are disadvantaged by normal handicap matchplay.

peter_rs
9th March 2005, 05:12 PM
The 3/4 hcp diff is to help the lower hcp. But if you want to play with the full diff as a high marker I say bring it on. :lol:

markTHEblake
9th March 2005, 06:22 PM

make up your mind.

3/4 handicaps went out the window in the 70's. Frankly Pete you dont look that old?

peter_rs
10th March 2005, 09:08 AM
It may have gone out in the 70's, for me its the left over from a social group I played with when I first started(tells you how old they were). As I said I don't care if you use full, I just get more strokes and I will take them. I would just hate to have some low markers giving me a shot a hole, then complain if I win(some how).

Thats the last said on the matter. :lol:

AndyP
10th March 2005, 09:27 AM
3/4 handicaps went out the window in the 70's.
Blakey, do you know if the 3/4 h/cap matchplay is a legacy of a previous handicapping system?
I'm not sure I understand the benefits of it. What is our handicaps for if not to make the playing field even?

markTHEblake
10th March 2005, 01:49 PM
stableford events used to be played off 3/4 handicaps. My old man said it was to make it fairer for low handicap golfers, and he used to play this format in the 60's.
handicap matchplay also used 3/4 for the same reason.
7/8's handicap also rings a bell somewhere.

i havent seen a 3/4 index since i was a junior, Horton Park had it on the scorecards when i first started playing around 1979, but even then it was no longer used for many years.

The AGU now recommends that in all formats of competition that full handicap is being used including matchplay. Except Canadian Foursomes at 3/8 of combined.

I doubt anyone here would have expereinced any club running a comp with 3/4 handicaps, nobody is old enough, even Onewood.

terryand
10th March 2005, 04:17 PM
I've played 3/4 handicaps when playing mixed best ball match play.

Terry.

Jarro
10th March 2005, 04:38 PM
good to see this is going along smoothly and we all agree how it's going to be run :roll:

just make up the rules Blakey and we'll all play to them.

peter_rs
10th March 2005, 04:55 PM
we all now its full hcp. just talking about the old days(says the second youngest guy in the forum).

Flowergirl
10th March 2005, 06:21 PM
We play 3/4 handicaps :shock: ( says the oldest chick on the forum)

Speirsy11
10th March 2005, 07:13 PM
For what it's worth, I like the 3/4 hcp idea.......

Another suggestion is that we have a "must be played by date". IN the event that the two players can't get together and play by the date that round must be completed by, the winner of the match is decided by a coin flip.

Just a suggestion.....

Speirsy

AndyP
10th March 2005, 07:34 PM
Blakey already laid down the rules, so why is it still being discussed.

A rebel matchplay tournament??

drunken
10th March 2005, 10:46 PM
Ill be playing in the QLD region....

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza
8 Keza
9 damoocow
10 Peter_rs_644
11 drunken

terryand
11th March 2005, 06:54 AM
Ill be playing in the QLD region....

1 MTB
2 G69
3 Iain
4 Jarro
5 onewood
6 davidp
7 Tezza
8 Keza
9 damoocow
10 Peter_rs_644
11 drunken

Says who?

You get your sorry blue ar$e back on your side of the border :smt019

What? Think us Qlder's are easy pickings do ya [-X

And don't give me that shite that its closer for you =;

Terry.

Jarro
11th March 2005, 07:10 AM
Tezza,

i think drunken wants to challenge himself by playing in the harder side of the draw :wink: :lol:

terryand
11th March 2005, 07:25 AM
Tezza,

i think drunken wants to challenge himself by playing in the harder side of the draw :wink: :lol:

I guess,at least one of us will get a easy game first up :D

drunken
11th March 2005, 07:40 AM
Says who?

Terry.

Well we'd best make sure that theres no other ring ins allowed. AP if you want to play you'll need to be in the Victorian section :wink:

I'll be glad to be a first round walkover for someone :D

peter_rs
11th March 2005, 08:32 AM
Hi drunken,

You have to nominate in the "OzGolf Matchplay - Tourament conditions and nominations" thread for it to count, this is just the "Discussion" thread.

AndyP
11th March 2005, 09:05 AM
AP if you want to play you'll need to be in the Victorian section :wink:
Hmmm, I'll tee up a game with FG in May. However, if I get through that match, I might have to forfeit my second round, rather than travel 2000km.

If you are looking for another Blue to play, you could always play against Kev.

terryand
11th March 2005, 10:52 AM
Says who?

Terry.

Well we'd best make sure that theres no other ring ins allowed. AP if you want to play you'll need to be in the Victorian section :wink:

I'll be glad to be a first round walkover for someone :D

I thought this was State of residence not State of origin :smt017 :smt102

Or State of convenience :wink:

Terry.

Bruce
11th March 2005, 11:53 AM
Bloody Hell. With FG's matchplay form at the moment my best hope will be to either be in the other half of the draw or to get the scotch and drys out early.

Flowergirl
11th March 2005, 03:23 PM
Bloody Hell. With FG's matchplay form at the moment my best hope will be to either be in the other half of the draw or to get the scotch and drys out early.

Be afraid Bruce............be very afraid. ( are they good tactics boys - do ya think I've got him scared yet?