PDA

View Full Version : Pest Control

Jarro
6th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Just curious as to how much you people spend every year on this ?

Assuming of course that you indeed get pest control :roll:

What pests do you get treatments for and how often ?

3oneday
6th November 2009, 04:31 PM
$190 next week for the yearly Pest spray. C0ckroaches and spiders I think, extra for rats ;)

Jarro
6th November 2009, 04:32 PM
Any termite trouble down Sydney way ?

3oneday
6th November 2009, 04:40 PM
None at my place, eat wood.

;)

Daves
6th November 2009, 04:53 PM
Cost a bit of a grand this year. We have a Termite barrier around the house slab that needs to be recharged every couple of years. Normally about $400 including Termite inspection I think.

MegaWatty
6th November 2009, 04:55 PM
200 and the blokes here doing it right now!

PeteyD
6th November 2009, 05:04 PM

dc68
6th November 2009, 05:13 PM
I just put WA threads on ignore.... It's cheaper that way.

Grunt
6th November 2009, 05:17 PM
Got stung once by a guy telling me we had termites and is was in fact just a different ant. Was not impressed. I just maintain the Slab gap and keep an eye on everything.

As for the other pest sprays, have only have had to spray once. Have got it all under control with mimimal pesticides. The spiders are under control with the Daddy Long legs and outside is controlled by the Blue Tongue Lizards.

raidrboy
6th November 2009, 10:10 PM
Just curious as to how much you people spend every year on this ?

Assuming of course that you indeed get pest control :roll:

What pests do you get treatments for and how often ?

$250.00 a year for spraying for the usual varmits and Termite check. Had 3 houses in our court with termites over 20 years. So the extra for the termite problem is worth it.

markTHEblake
6th November 2009, 11:15 PM
$0
nicked a nearly empty bottle of some stuff more powerful than what Pest exterminators can use from my old mans kit when he was managing units. spray it around the house once a year, and still have some left.

Whatever it was, it cost him about $50 for half a litre, and you mix it about 40:1

Yossarian
7th November 2009, 02:16 AM
I just put WA threads on ignore.... It's cheaper that way.

Did someone say something about gay NRL players?

:shock:

AndyP
7th November 2009, 08:02 AM
$0
I've never got around to it.

razaar
7th November 2009, 08:52 AM
The neighbours have it done, the pests have got to breed somewhere.

TheTrueReview
7th November 2009, 09:00 AM
Had a pest controller around at my place recently.

If you read the fine print of the agreement, you'll see that they don't guarantee the job. In other words, they can spray pure water & it doesn't breach the agreement.

That said, I trusted that the controller sprayed the good stuff because the annoying little ants disappeared afterwards. But it doesn't sit well to pay money when the agreement with the pest controlling company releases them from any responsibility for the job.

Dazza
7th November 2009, 09:02 AM
$100 for 2.5lt. Cislin 25. Does a great job.
http://www.bayeres.com.au/resources/products/label/527-2805-Product%20Label.pdf

Jarro
7th November 2009, 10:36 AM
We have to have a follow up inspection for our termite barrier spray. It's going to cost us $275 for this, and it has to be done to make sure our warranty stays intact.

markTHEblake
7th November 2009, 12:07 PM
$275 for an inspection - you are kidding me. They wouldnt spend 30 mins there right?

My previous house was absolutely chock a block with termites in the fences on 3 sides, the gardens were full of them. I chucked a bit of wood on the ground, and a couple of months later I picked it up and it fell apart in my hand (like about 4m from the house), and the inside was full of the buggars. Yet they never touched the house.

A lot of these termite protection advertising is just tin foil hat stuff. Reality is the buggars are absolutely everywhere and there is some common sense tips to keep them away from the house, like no gardens up against the wall

AndyP
7th November 2009, 06:36 PM
I was asking the FIL about this today and he reckons he only gets the full lot done every 7 or 8 years. I might look into that. It's the $300 per year that I think is a bit of bullshit.

mike
7th November 2009, 06:44 PM
We had the house treated and a termite inspection a few months ago. Cost about $300 I think.

If you read the fine print of the agreement, you'll see that they don't guarantee the job. In other words, they can spray pure water & it doesn't breach the agreement.

Not the one I use. I got a 12 month guarantee. Last month the ants re-appeared. He's coming back next week to spray them again.

mike
7th November 2009, 06:47 PM
I was asking the FIL about this today and he reckons he only gets the full lot done every 7 or 8 years. I might look into that. It's the $300 per year that I think is a bit of bullshit.

From memory half of the $300 I was charged was the actual inspection. They do a thorough inspection, crawling around under the house and in the roof cavity checking every beam, joist, rafter, whatever.

I don't have a problem spending that every year.

TheTrueReview
7th November 2009, 07:04 PM
We had the house treated and a termite inspection a few months ago. Cost about $300 I think.

Not the one I use. I got a 12 month guarantee. Last month the ants re-appeared. He's coming back next week to spray them again.

How's this little clause 6(c) from Hitman Professional Pest Control agreement that you are required to sign before the inspection/treatment.

Clause 6(c) "We are not liable to you or any other person for any cost, loss, expense, demand, claim, liability, damage or hosoever otherwise (and whether for personal injury or death, property damage or whatever else) and whether in contract, tort, breach of statutory duty or howsoever otherwise arising directly or indirectly from or in connection with this document, the Report or howsoever otherwise, a negligent act or omission of any person, breach of statutory duty or any other matter."

There are some other little chestnuts advising that termites might be in the building even if not identified by them (etc) & also there's an indemnity clause.

Hitman gives a 12 month free service period where they come back & spray again if the critters reappear but that's fairly vanilla. The danger is if they check for termites & give you a clean report, you then rely on it but the buggers are still there & chewing away. The above clause would present a problem if you wanted to sue the company for damage caused due to a negligent inspection.

Jarro
8th November 2009, 08:51 AM
Well we're looking at paying $500 odd dollars a year for a total pest-control package with our pest 'technicians'

3 visits a year, plus extra visits if any of the 35 specified pests reappear after the initial treatments.

Honestly, i know it sounds a lot, but after our termite scare last year i'm paranoid as all hell about them now :shock:

PeteyD
8th November 2009, 09:27 AM
I have found hitman pretty good. They come back when the critters do without charge. We have lots of issues with rodents, and they come back and rebait a few times a year. The 'termite check' they do is fairly basic, which would be the reason for the clause above.

markTHEblake
8th November 2009, 03:17 PM
A bag of Boric acid costs $10 :-) that gets rid of the cockroaches