PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst spectator sport?

adlo
4th November 2009, 11:59 PM
I have just seen the worst spectator sport of all time.

Slamball. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL8T2IQHy8M)

This video tries hard to make it look good, but in reality it is a scrappy, stupid game that appears to have no rules.

Most people rate basketball as a poor spectator sport. Well, I like basketball, but this Slamball crap was cringe worthy.

What would you rate as the worst spectator sport?

Bruce Dickinson
5th November 2009, 12:02 AM
Chess - so hard to see those little pieces from the grandstand

henno
5th November 2009, 12:03 AM
Triathlons or indoor cricket - both great sports to be involved in, but boring as bat shit as an armchair expert.

Johnny Canuck
5th November 2009, 12:04 AM
indy car racing.

adlo
5th November 2009, 12:06 AM
Chess - so hard to see those little pieces from the grandstand
Ah, but in HD on TV it is sublime :lol:

indy car racing.
Good call, motor sport is so bloody boring.

DracZ
5th November 2009, 12:06 AM
F1...Decent live, absolute horse shit when watching from your living room - 50 odd laps of the same flat track...no thanks

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 12:07 AM
Swimming. Can not for the life of me work up any excitment for it.

Scottt
5th November 2009, 12:21 AM
Basketball?! Those people must be hard to please. It only annoys me how long the NBA boys manage to drag out the last few minutes!

For me, pretty much any women's sport other than equestrian sports, swimming or beach volleyball. I just can't bring myself to be interested in chicks playing sport.

My nomination is for one that is on all the bloody time here, with plenty of hype, vocal crowds and "character" competitors, but zero interest. In one word: "ooooonehundredan'eighhhhhtyyyyyyy!"

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 12:23 AM
Yep darts is shithouse, I can get into snooker when I am bullshit hungover otherwise that to is a bore.

adlo
5th November 2009, 12:29 AM
How about Curling?

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 12:33 AM
Curling is the shit. Any sport that you can play with ice, kettles and brooms has my vote.

Curling gets the bitches.

Golfnut
5th November 2009, 12:56 AM
I was just going to say curling....I find it fascinating to watch......but that's not what this post is about...

Ummmm.......indi car is just stupid....and the funny thing is their budget is 50 times that of our V8 supercar boys but its such a dumb race.

Can't for the life of me get into Baseball on Ten HD...might be good to watch in the flesh but TV just doesn't cut it for me.

adlo
5th November 2009, 02:32 AM
OK I may have exaggerated in the OP.

Baseball and motor sport are equally bad. Mainly from boredom.

Slamball is just plain BAD. Stupid bad.

simmsy
5th November 2009, 02:40 AM
Slamball is dumb, i remeber seeing it briefly on you tube a fair while back and giddyup on this! but yeah watched about 5 mins of a game once and yeah it's crap.

indy and baseball get my vote oh and Gridiron, seriously 4hours+ to play 48mins or what ever and 350 men each side.

razaar
5th November 2009, 02:46 AM
When the Williams sisters play each other.

Zeusgolf
5th November 2009, 02:49 AM
Surfing
Cycling
Slamball
Pigeon Racing

Scottt
5th November 2009, 04:27 AM
I have just seen the worst spectator sport of all time.

Slamball. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL8T2IQHy8M)

The dude in the video is a tool.

"They wanted to make it like wrestling, make it fake, script the action *quirky "whack" music* I know! That's what I thought too!"

I love the clip of the guy dunking and the commentator says: " It's like he has a rocket on his back!" Umm, no, he just jumped of a trampoline is all...

3:10 - "When it all comes together, it looks like this" *cue video of a guy trying a 720 dunk and falling about 3ft short of the basket, as they cut the video* :lol:

adlo
5th November 2009, 04:47 AM
I love the clip of the guy dunking and the commentator says: " It's like he has a rocket on his back!" Umm, no, he just jumped of a trampoline is all...

3:10 - "When it all comes together, it looks like this" *cue video of a guy trying a 720 dunk and falling about 3ft short of the basket, as they cut the video* :lol:

:smt046
:smt038

sms316
5th November 2009, 06:15 AM
Australian Rules Football.

OK to watch live, but shithouse to watch on tv. Too much action away from the immediate area of the ball.

Jarro
5th November 2009, 06:32 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrjisfyQUic&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrjisfyQUic&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PeteyD
5th November 2009, 06:51 AM
I'll watch most sports. Can't watch soccer live, but highlights can be great.

Swimming is crap to watch.

Coffs_Hacker
5th November 2009, 06:56 AM
test match cricket
croquet
lawn bowls

TheTrueReview
5th November 2009, 07:08 AM
A really bad game of rugby union.

Minor_Threat
5th November 2009, 07:08 AM
I think Soccer is very ordinary live!

Golf can be a struggle on TV depending upon who is covering it..

Tongueboy
5th November 2009, 07:30 AM
golf puts me to sleep and tennis is tedious. both are great to play....

baseball,netball and basketball give me the shits and no comment on AFL

3oneday
5th November 2009, 07:36 AM
I would suggest trying to see Tiger in the Aussie Masters would be right up there ;)

WBennett
5th November 2009, 08:16 AM
Swimming.
Tennis. Especially the French Open.
Winter Olympics in general

razaar
5th November 2009, 08:25 AM
I would suggest trying to see Tiger in the Aussie Masters would be right up there ;)
It will be if you are at the course.:wink:

poidda
5th November 2009, 09:11 AM
Golf gets my vote.

just
5th November 2009, 09:54 AM
Netball, closely followed by Basketball.

Johnny Canuck
5th November 2009, 10:25 AM
OK I may have exaggerated in the OP.

Baseball and motor sport are equally bad. Mainly from boredom.

Slamball is just plain BAD. Stupid bad.

Growing up playing baseball, I really enjoy watching it.

Much better than cricket, in my opinion, where you see the ball thrown a max of once per minute and often, the guys only try to protect the wicket.

Slamball is dumb, i remeber seeing it briefly on you tube a fair while back and giddyup on this! but yeah watched about 5 mins of a game once and yeah it's crap.

indy and baseball get my vote oh and Gridiron, seriously 4hours+ to play 48mins or what ever and 350 men each side.

Gridiron last 3 hrs max. The watered down version you get on Aus TV is great, full games in 1hr -130.

Netball, closely followed by Basketball.

I was going to say netball, but it's only slightly better than indy car racing.

razaar
5th November 2009, 11:19 AM
JC
Test cricket sux. Need a caton of stubbies and a good book to enjoy it.:wink:

Bruce Dickinson
5th November 2009, 11:33 AM
hot dog eating

mike
5th November 2009, 11:35 AM
Cricket.

Hamo84
5th November 2009, 11:59 AM
I dont mind netball live, some of my friends have sisters/gf's who play and I have to say its not such a terrible sport to watch live....

Cant stand Slam ball, indy car or baseball, must say I dont mind NASCAR but only when there are multiple car wrecks....

TourFit
5th November 2009, 11:59 AM
I think Soccer is very ordinary live!

Golf can be a struggle on TV depending upon who is covering it..

Well, you shoulda been in the new Allianz Arena in Munich 2006 when Australia played Brazil in the World Cup !!!! Our National Anthem was just amazing, not to mention the atmosphere of the game...

Fishman Dan
5th November 2009, 12:42 PM
Golf.

I enjoy it on TV (European tour only), but half the excitement on a Sunday is knowing what is happening all over the course. You can't be 4 places at once when you're there, and what's worse is that you have to stay behind the ropes, so following most groups in a pain in the arse.

And then, there's the 'Grandstand' hole :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to stand and watch Tiger belt a few balls, but it's going to be hard to get anywhere near him.

Minor_Threat
5th November 2009, 12:55 PM
Well, you shoulda been in the new Allianz Arena in Munich 2006 when Australia played Brazil in the World Cup !!!! Our National Anthem was just amazing, not to mention the atmosphere of the game...I can understand the atmosphere and anthems are great, but the actual game to watch live is ordinary!

kingslayer33
5th November 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't reckon you guys are trying hard enough...

My vote for worst spectator sport goes to underwater hockey - All these "new-fangled" hybrid games get my goat.

Actually I reckon it would be just as bad on tv (in HD) as it is pools-side.

LarryLong
5th November 2009, 02:03 PM
Well, you shoulda been in the new Allianz Arena in Munich 2006 when Australia played Brazil in the World Cup !!!! Our National Anthem was just amazing, not to mention the atmosphere of the game...

Singing the national anthem is not a sport. :razz:

Soccer is best watched via the highlights reel, but golf gets my vote too. So much waiting for so few shots, and you don't even get to sledge the players.

Close third would be swimming (Never been to live swimming, but what do people do in the 15-30 minutes between races?) , followed by any form of motor racing where there are no crashes.

I would have added gymnastics, but that's not a sport.

solarman
5th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Synchronised swimming by far and soccer not far behind. what other sport can play for 90 minutes with only a few kicks at goal and still end up nil all. Wait til the big yellow feathered bird gets back to Cairns and sees this, he will go off.

dee cee
5th November 2009, 04:29 PM
Funny, many non golfers say golf is the most boring....

I love all sport but funnily enough, rugby is killing me to watch at the moment. Too much kicking, too many penalties, no tries.

dee cee

dhills2
5th November 2009, 04:29 PM
I would have to say I'm a true sports nut as there is probably only one or two sports mentioned thus far that I'm not really into...

Slamball - because it's not a bloody sport - it's a bunch of semi coordinated basketballers playing on tramps.

Curling - probably because I lack knowledge in this sport. Given that I can happily watch some lawn bowls on ABC I could probably get into curling if I knew something about it!

Love watching all codes of footy, soccer (if it's not A-League), surfing, baseball, cricket, cycling (particularly Tour de France), swimming, NBA, NFL etc etc.

Motor sport is ok but I don't understand NASCAR or Drag. Both stupid IMO.

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 04:33 PM
Rowing.

dhills2
5th November 2009, 04:38 PM
Paintball... though I wouldn't call it a sport.

solarman
5th November 2009, 04:57 PM
DWARF TOSSING !!!! Hang on t

solarman
5th November 2009, 04:58 PM
DWARF TOSSING.....Hang on that's fun

ParMaster
5th November 2009, 05:14 PM
Watching a marathon/long distance walking. Or rythmic gymnastic and synchronised swimming.

Eag's
5th November 2009, 05:55 PM
Watching a marathon/long distance walking. Or rythmic gymnastic and synchronised swimming.

I beg to differ young pup. Those synchronised girls are great eye candy especially the underwater shots ;)

markTHEblake
5th November 2009, 07:26 PM
What would you rate as the worst spectator sport?

Golf - hands down

The only real highlights are putts - boring, I can hole a 20 footer.
Most of the tee to green shots are not spectacular at all.

cutter1
5th November 2009, 07:36 PM
Agree with solarman, synchronised swimming is just a little more exciting than watching grass grow

KristianJ
5th November 2009, 09:40 PM
hot dog eating

I came across Major League Eating on Fuel TV tonight while channel flicking...it was in Vegas, and one of the eaters said it was a career dream to be wolfing down as many hard boiled eggs in Vegas as he did.

I'd rater be losing money than risk being rotten egg gassed.

mike
6th November 2009, 02:33 PM
Anybody that lists soccer here just doesn't understand the game.

I'd rather watch a tight arm wrestle of a match than one that ends in a 6-4 scoreline.

raidrboy
7th November 2009, 08:34 PM
It's got to be Gridiron, followed by baseball, Equestrian, and any other sport with horses.

Hamo84
7th November 2009, 08:36 PM
pro bull riding cant stand it......

Hamo84
7th November 2009, 08:37 PM
Paintball... though I wouldn't call it a sport.
agreed, i am at a mates tonight and thats wht is on one hd next after the bull riding..... yawn!!!!

Andrew
7th November 2009, 08:55 PM
Growing up playing baseball, I really enjoy watching it.

You mean the sport where the guys who FAIL 7 out of 10 times are heroes. :D

ParMaster
7th November 2009, 09:33 PM
:mrgreen:

Pro bull riding is a boring thing to watch aswell.

zrw
7th November 2009, 10:51 PM
Redbull air race is boring

Grunt
8th November 2009, 07:49 AM
Is funny how some of the best sports to watch on TV are the worst one to go to and see live and vise versa.
Some sports also are only able to be watched by those with an intimate knowledge of the said sport. For instance I could watch World Cup Sailing Matchracing as I can see the tactical knowledge and expertise that is in the skippers and crews.
At the same time I can understand why others not involved in the sport could not watch it ever.

razaar
8th November 2009, 07:49 AM
You mean the sport where the guys who FAIL 7 out of 10 times are heroes. :D
Those and the ones who cause the failures.:wink:

markTHEblake
8th November 2009, 04:43 PM
Some sports also are only able to be watched by those with an intimate knowledge of the said sport.

Gridiron, i actually like watching this, it is chess played with people in helmets, once you figure out everything thats going on, its good.

Obviously most people would not enjoy watching a sport that they dont understand, and to say that such a sport is the worst for spectators is just being bigoted.

AndyP
8th November 2009, 05:07 PM
The problem is the number and length of pauses between the "chess" moves. I used to watch it a lot in my first couple of years of uni.

Swimming bites. The only reason it gets watched is because Australians are good at it.

markTHEblake
8th November 2009, 06:09 PM
The problem is the number and length of pauses between the "chess" moves.

while we were sitting in the shade of the Tower of Pisa getting drunk (nothing else to do there) A yank explained why this issue makes it an enjoyable game for them to watch and it makes a lot of sense. He says;

everyone played football in college, and mostly you kept the same position always. So when you watch a game people would usually watch the player who played the same position, rather than watch the ball, which is what we would tend to do.

Then after each down, if you are watching with your mates, everyone would talk about what his player did, cos the others all watched different things, grab some beer, take in the replays what they didnt see, then when the next play starts, everyone is quiet and focused on the screen again watching their own player, and so it repeats.

Thus the pauses and delays are just a part of the overall enjoyment of watching the game - its not a negative to them.

andigold
8th November 2009, 07:05 PM
I liked everything about the Sydney Olympics (the only one I've been to :) ) except the athletics, they were worse than soccer. BORING.

sms316
3rd January 2013, 03:17 PM
Tennis.

WBennett
3rd January 2013, 03:29 PM
Tennis.

Hallelujah

Shortylook
3rd January 2013, 03:36 PM
Meh ill watch any sport that's on, you name it ill watch it, better than mowing the lawn or doing some other shit job if you ask me

Monsta
3rd January 2013, 03:38 PM
Tennis.

Womens tennis is ok, unless one of the William's sisters is playing.... they are scary

damoocow
3rd January 2013, 03:44 PM
Agree with Tennis and Swimming - both boring and pointless - much like Car Racing...yawn.....

Webster
3rd January 2013, 03:48 PM
Rugby League live.

Monsta
3rd January 2013, 03:49 PM
Rugby League live.

Rugby League (period)

razaar
3rd January 2013, 04:14 PM
Golf on TV for me. Bloody boring as hell.

Monsta
3rd January 2013, 04:15 PM

BLASPHEMY........ razaar, you will go to golf hell for that

IamViva
3rd January 2013, 04:33 PM
broncos games...

Marto65
3rd January 2013, 05:00 PM
Imagine standing half way up a hill when downhill skiing is on.

Monsta
3rd January 2013, 05:07 PM
Imagine standing half way up a hill when downhill skiing is on.

You would end up with whiplash :lol:

3Puttpete
3rd January 2013, 06:02 PM
Paris-Dakar

markTHEblake
3rd January 2013, 06:08 PM

Like. and the TV Networks agree.

Ashes
3rd January 2013, 06:12 PM

What if you record it and watch it back in ultra-slow-mo so you can analyze every swing???

razaar
3rd January 2013, 07:37 PM
Why would I want to do that when I can see what they do. We watch it and are given a commentary on what we can see. Golf needs some biff, commentators arguing; anything to break the monotony.

Lagerlover
3rd January 2013, 08:32 PM
The Coopers sports guide in the Adelaide Advertiser listed pigeon racing in the weekly sports events.

Lagerlover
3rd January 2013, 08:34 PM

Shadesy
3rd January 2013, 08:35 PM
Yep darts is shithouse, I can get into snooker when I am bullshit hungover otherwise that to is a bore.

Wrong. Best live sport ever!

Ashes
3rd January 2013, 08:39 PM
Wrong. Best live sport ever!

What if there was no decent piss available at the venue, like at the cricket these days?

Surely it's like Rugby, just an excuse for everyone to get on the gas, with the spectators ocassionally turning around to cheer a try? I did some bar work at some rugby games in Perth and I swear 95% of the crowd weren't actively watching the game.

Shadesy
3rd January 2013, 09:02 PM
What if there was no decent piss available at the venue, like at the cricket these days?

Surely it's like Rugby, just an excuse for everyone to get on the gas, with the spectators ocassionally turning around to cheer a try? I did some bar work at some rugby games in Perth and I swear 95% of the crowd weren't actively watching the game.

I didnt say I actually watched any darts. We were right back and basically could only see it on the big screens anyway. The venue also has an outside part with food stalls, bars etc where a lot people hang out anyway.

They have marketed it so well that they wouldn't take the beer away or it would die. Plus Europe is fairly relaxed about this stuff unlike PC Australia.

It's basically just dress ups, chants and getting on the gas, occasionally watching the darts. I organised 22 guys for a stag do there and it was basically perfect for that kind of thing, and people were still talking about it at the wedding.

I actually enjoy watching it on tele though too.

Jeffo1123
3rd January 2013, 10:45 PM
I didnt say I actually watched any darts. We were right back and basically could only see it on the big screens anyway. The venue also has an outside part with food stalls, bars etc where a lot people hang out anyway. They have marketed it so well that they wouldn't take the beer away or it would die. Plus Europe is fairly relaxed about this stuff unlike PC Australia.It's basically just dress ups, chants and getting on the gas, occasionally watching the darts. I organised 22 guys for a stag do there and it was basically perfect for that kind of thing, and people were still talking about it at the wedding.I actually enjoy watching it on tele though too. I really wanna go to England and go to the darts... An excuse to get dressed up all stupid, drink plenty of beer and occasionally let out a deep voiced "one hundred and eighteeeeeeeeeee" is a good enough night for me!

Shadesy
4th January 2013, 12:03 AM
I really wanna go to England and go to the darts... An excuse to get dressed up all stupid, drink plenty of beer and occasionally let out a deep voiced "one hundred and eighteeeeeeeeeee" is a good enough night for me!

Mate there was singing all night, you can just hear it on the coverage.

I dressed the stag in the same outfit as the darts girls and every time he came back inside he would get the "get your tits out" song!

Some bloke fell asleep pissed early on and the whole crowd started singing "you don't sleep at the darts". It was amazing!

TourFit
4th January 2013, 12:10 AM
Was it the sort of crowd you could show the moon with impunity? And they are fond of tea in England...not you're sort of tea bag though, I'm guessing

Dotty
4th January 2013, 06:34 AM
None of these are as bad as the 'spectating' the WADA officials get to do after big events.

sms316
29th October 2013, 01:03 PM
Horse racing. Snoozefest.

Lagerlover
29th October 2013, 01:26 PM
Watching Canadian wood chopping on ONE... Couldn't sit in a damp forest watching that all day

goughy
29th October 2013, 01:26 PM
Yep, could never get interested in it. Horse racing that is.

Icestorm959
29th October 2013, 04:57 PM
Test Cricket, goes on for a week and I'm bored as bat**** after 10 minutes.

ozbrother
29th October 2013, 05:40 PM
Dressage.

Ron Burgundy
2nd November 2013, 08:23 PM
Darts.

I'm hesitant to call it a sport. But it's been all over fox sports the last couple of days so I guess it counts. I'd rather watch paint dry on grass while simultaneously watching it grow.

matty
2nd November 2013, 09:29 PM
One hundred and eeeiiiggghhtty!!!!

mike
2nd November 2013, 09:40 PM
AFL

JADO75
2nd November 2013, 09:42 PM
Watching your dad shag your mum

mrbluu
2nd November 2013, 09:50 PM
Watching your dad shag your mum

AFL is still worse....

JADO75
2nd November 2013, 09:57 PM
What if your dad kicks a behind?

matty
2nd November 2013, 10:21 PM
Aussie Rules is a shocker to watch on TV. Would rather watch bowls.
Didn't mind watching it live at the one game I've been to.

Ashes
2nd November 2013, 11:25 PM
Cross country mountain biking. Love the sport, but 6 cameras showing about 90m of a 6km tracks is kind of pointless. Plus the difficulty of the tracks doesn't come across on tv.

mrbluu
2nd November 2013, 11:27 PM
What if your dad kicks a behind?

AFL is still worse...

Aussie Rules is a shocker to watch on TV. Would rather watch bowls.
Didn't mind watching it live at the one game I've been to.

Ppl say that, but I hated it more at the ground!! The game was too long, as were the breaks between quarters and at half time. Also the off the ball pushing and shoving was annoying as well!! 2 highlights was Barry Hall knocking some guy out and then breaking his hand!!

Jackson
2nd November 2013, 11:37 PM
AFL a bit too complicated for you NSW/QLD folk?

mrbluu
2nd November 2013, 11:53 PM

Typical AFL guy trying to defend their code.......

Jackson
3rd November 2013, 12:11 AM
Typical AFL guy trying to defend their code.......

No need to defend the national sport.

PerryGroves
3rd November 2013, 06:58 AM

Yes, I don't really understand why there are so many soft frees/penalties given. Nor do I get why they dont limit the interchange so that stamina plays some part in the game.

dc68
7th November 2013, 10:08 PM

Cricket is a great game.And as you say needs no defending.

Daves
8th November 2013, 09:24 AM
Yes, I don't really understand why there are so many soft frees/penalties given. Nor do I get why they dont limit the interchange so that stamina plays some part in the game.

You clearly have never played the game PG, if you think they lack stamina.

Monsta
8th November 2013, 09:41 AM
Cricket is a great game.And as you say needs no defending.

Cricket is the most boring sport to watch....... I would rather have my nose hairs pulled out individually by a Russian mobster than be subjected to cricket......

Eldrick
8th November 2013, 10:40 AM
national sport, you mean binge drinking right?

Yossarian
8th November 2013, 11:40 AM
Any game that is a thrashing or has poor execution of the skill. That said I have always really struggled to get into any basketball game.

meh
8th November 2013, 12:08 PM
It's funny how league people say it is a better game than afl. Play the ball, pass to a forward, gets tackled x5 then a kick. real ****ing exciting :roll:

WBennett
8th November 2013, 12:33 PM
That said I have always really struggled to get into any basketball game.

Bastketball does less than nothing to me. As does tennis.

I prefer to watch cycling over either of these!

Mububban
12th November 2013, 02:35 PM
Soccer highlights are brilliant, but watching a full game usually puts me to sleep

PerryGroves
12th November 2013, 08:28 PM

You clearly have never played the game PG, if you think they lack stamina.

Daves, not saying that AFL guys lack stamina, in fact most could probably run a marathon. I just dont like mass interchange.

You are right, I have never played AFL, albeit in my defence it was never an option where I grew up.

mrbluu
12th November 2013, 08:59 PM
Soccer highlights are brilliant, but watching a full game usually puts me to sleep

+1 for me on this and I feel the same way about grid iron.

madboarder
20th November 2013, 07:33 PM
Agree! Only the bi -athlon (cross country skiing and air guns) is on par?

+1 for me on this and I feel the same way about grid iron.

Grunt
20th November 2013, 08:28 PM

Actually getting right into the game now. I have never played a second of soccer but being a Football Manager addict has me analysing the tactics of the game now.
Watched how Costa Rica were never in the game last night with the holes in the midfield defense.

oldracer
20th November 2013, 10:48 PM
womens baseball

oldracer
20th November 2013, 10:50 PM
it also use to be womens golf but dang they can flat out hit and play now

oldracer
21st November 2013, 04:37 PM
actually right at the moment, bloody cricket