PDA

View Full Version : How tight are your lies?

Daves
4th November 2009, 10:25 AM
Razaar and I both commented on how many tight lies we got on the fairways at Bribie Island yesterday. I guess a consequence of the dry weather we have had until recently, plus the nature of a sand based course. The course was very green but there has not been enough time since the rain for the grass to thicken up. I actually got better lies most of the time at Bribie if I was just off in the first cut (but beyond there it is just one big bunker in the rough!).

I am used to good thick lies at Redland Bay, 5 to 10mm suburban lawn length just about everywhere on the fairways.

zigwah
4th November 2009, 10:44 AM
I like close lies in the fairway, easier to get spin on the ball for me

henno
4th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Pacific has very low grass on the fairways all year 'round. But when t's dry (like a few weeks ago) the lies are particularly tight.

razaar
4th November 2009, 11:49 AM
Yep Dave some of those lies yeaterday were cruel. Bribie's fairways are blue couch and are just beginning to recover from the extended dry. Blue couch seems to grow in clumps with the grass runners branching out to eventually fill the void. The balls seemed to be finding the voids yesterday. The fairways and greens surrounds have been aerated and fertilized to speed up the recovery. For a club with a relatively low fee base, Bribie GC get an awful lot of things right. Maybe its because their membership is mainly seniors & retirees and the course is a sand based one that is protected on three sides by tiger snakes, taipans and king browns (a Huxism); which eliminates vandalism.
One thing I noticed yesterday (which I had never twigged to before) is how the bunkers cut into the greens thereby reducing their size considerably. Hitting the right number into the green can find a bunker if it is several metres off line, which adds to the difficulty of the course.

Minor_Threat
4th November 2009, 11:51 AM
Newcastle has tight lies all year round. It is difficult if you are not swinging well, but that helps to get the correct technique.

The sound of a flushed iron off tight lies awesome!

Bruce Dickinson
4th November 2009, 11:56 AM
The santa anna fairways at Joondalup are very tight, if your short game is shit like mine the little 30-40 yard pitches with sand wedge become oh so much fun

Jarro
4th November 2009, 05:05 PM
Wait till we play Pacific Harbour :roll:

ParMaster
4th November 2009, 05:12 PM
Sorry but what it a "tight lie"? Please explain..

Yossarian
4th November 2009, 05:13 PM
Wait till we play Pacific Harbour :roll:

http://i33.tinypic.com/jtb79j.jpg

Jarro
4th November 2009, 05:20 PM
Sorry but what it a "tight lie"? Please explain..

Short grass

razaar
4th November 2009, 05:29 PM
The ball is virtually sitting on the ground or in a depression with a skerick of cussioning or none under it. To play a high lofted pitch off such a lie you have to make a very shallow dent with the leading edge directly under the ball.

Jarro
4th November 2009, 05:30 PM
Tighter lies are better for ballstriking aren't they razaar ?

Better compression.

razaar
4th November 2009, 05:34 PM
Tighter lies are better for ballstriking aren't they razaar ?

Better compression.
Bloody ground gets in the way Jarro but you are spot on; its the added resistance that is not there off a tee. The pros love it because it allows them to control the spin and therefore the distance.

AlexMc
4th November 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm playing in Armidale over the weekend which always has tight lies. Makes it bloody hard after playing in Dubbo where the fairways are so dry we've been on preferred lies for the last 4 months...

Hux
5th November 2009, 09:41 PM
No wonder the hybrid is the only club off the fairway on par 5's for me. There is no chance I can use a 3 wood successfully at Bribie...actually recently that is also the case off the tee as well as fairway.

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2009, 12:05 AM
Very tight where i am. A few months back i actually started hitting 3 hybrid a lot more for a second shot on par 5's.

adlo
6th November 2009, 12:19 AM
Kennedy Bay had tight lies everywhere.

Changes the approach to the short game, and lets you know if you are not hitting the ball well.

Played Collier Park today and the fairways are full of tight lies. Got a bit lazy towards the end of the round and hit the ball a bit fat on my chips. Off a tight lie, it goes nowhere.

TourFit
6th November 2009, 01:36 AM
My lies have become very tight...

...the missus doesn't know a thing !!!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yossarian
27th May 2010, 05:15 PM
Don't know why I though of this, but any tips or swing changes you should make for tighter than normal lies?

Golfnut
28th May 2010, 12:41 AM
This probably sounds silly for a high capper but I actually love hitting off the tight lies like at Colliers....yes, less forgiving but unreal when you flush it.

MegaWatty
28th May 2010, 01:20 AM
Jesus the lies at The Vines yesterday for the Pro Am were sooooo tight! The course really isn't up to the standard that it deserves!

Golfnut
28th May 2010, 01:22 AM
Guess you didn't play today MW :twisted:

MegaWatty
28th May 2010, 01:24 AM
Guess you didn't play today MW :twisted:
Nope. I was way way way too hungover! I had a feeling it'd be like that so I decided early in the week not to play. Lucky!!!

Golfnut
28th May 2010, 01:29 AM
That's cool.....when I saw the weather coming in this morning I thought of pulling a sickie and coming up to see you but then I remembered what day it was..........I'll save it for another rainy day which I'm sure there'll be plenty of in the next few months......spent most of the arvo at Fits having a chat......or should I say a long listen :roll:

idgolfguy
28th May 2010, 07:58 AM
Jesus the lies at The Vines yesterday for the Pro Am were sooooo tight! The course really isn't up to the standard that it deserves!
In total agreement with you. How were the greens? they were starting to look good but don't have much faith.

MegaWatty
28th May 2010, 08:31 AM
They were slick, but there's quite a few with couch in them and 8 is all but gone with Poa all through it.

TourFit
28th May 2010, 11:38 AM
A lot of clubs are now VERY seriously thinking of not spending the money on Poa control and just letting it run...personally I don't like it when mixed with the bent grass. It just makes the greens very two paced (especially morning to arfternoon).

But some of the BEST courses in the world have Poa/Bent mixes....Hazeltine for last years PGA, Pebble and a lot of the 'West Cooast Swing' courses at the start of the year are almost ALL Poa Annua.

Bruce Dickinson
28th May 2010, 03:08 PM
A lot of clubs are now VERY seriously thinking of not spending the money on Poa control and just letting it run...personally I don't like it when mixed with the bent grass. It just makes the greens very two paced (especially morning to arfternoon).

But some of the BEST courses in the world have Poa/Bent mixes....Hazeltine for last years PGA, Pebble and a lot of the 'West Cooast Swing' courses at the start of the year are almost ALL Poa Annua.
what clubs are thinking of letting the POA take over?

MegaWatty
28th May 2010, 11:07 PM
There was an article in Aus Golf Digest a month or two ago. I think Cambelltown after speeding hundreds of thousands have let the Poa take over. I'll try to find the article if you're interested BD?

They're saying it's a much better grass for Aussie weather.

Bruce Dickinson
28th May 2010, 11:15 PM
There was an article in Aus Golf Digest a month or two ago. I think Cambelltown after speeding hundreds of thousands have let the Poa take over. I'll try to find the article if you're interested BD?

They're saying it's a much better grass for Aussie weather.
Cool, I thought you were talking about some Perth tracks. It would be a tough ask to keep Poa greens any good here in summer, a lot of water and a lot of fungicides.

We've been using a product called paclabutrazol for a number of years and its kept the poa levels down. Its a slow process and needs to be managed carefully.

hyrola
11th June 2010, 05:02 PM
i actually really like hitting with the hybrid off tight lies lately. Can get some decent distance with it :)