PDA

View Full Version : KBS Shaft Questions

MegaWatty
1st November 2009, 02:46 PM
Sorry for starting up a new thread on KBS, but I have some specific questions relating to ME that I was hoping to have answered.

Quick Background: Playing off 12. Down from 15 since re-joining a club 6 months ago. Used to play off 7 when I was a kid, before the usual suspects....money, women, booze then kids!

Currently using MP57's with Dynamic Gold Stiff.

7 iron distance is 150m.

So, I was looking at KBS Tours and was wondering if I could get some advice please.

How do these shafts compare to my current DG's?

Are they suited to my game?

Should I go beoing for the Strong (6.0) shafts?

Are these guys the best deal and most reputable going around?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/350NEW-FST-steel-iron-shafts-8-KBS-TOUR-6-0-STRONG-355_W0QQitemZ220495243256QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_C lubmaking_Products_US?hash=item33568a67f8

Are they the right shafts for my MP57's?

How much is Tourfit going to charge me to install them? :)

Jarro
1st November 2009, 02:56 PM
MW, i'm around the same handicap as you.

I've just recently started using the KBS Tours over the DGS300's myself, and found them to be a much better feeling shaft. I think mine came out at around 5.0, so a sort of firm reg.

Ballflight is higher. Distance is slightly less for me though, but that's not an issue anyway is it ;)

Best part of them for me is the lighter weight. They certainly feel easier to swing than the old DG's for sure 8)

DracZ
1st November 2009, 03:58 PM
The KBS shafts come in at (4.5) Reg, (5.5) Stiff, (6.5) X-stiff. You'll have to soft / hard step in order to get them between freqs.

MegaWatty
1st November 2009, 04:12 PM
So that's what these guys are obviously doing.

Taken from the above eBay page:
TO OUR KNOWLEDGE WE ARE THE ONLY DEALER OFFERING IN

BETWEEN FLEXES TO MIRROR THE PROJECT X LINE.

TourFit
1st November 2009, 05:55 PM
Mega,

'Cos you're putting them in Miz that means you will have to use taper tips. You get them in either R,S or X and adjust the installation according to whether you want them stiffer or softer.

The Parallel shafts have tip trimming and so you have a LOT more scope to get many different frequencies from the one shaft.

I would suggest the S Taper to start with, put it in a 5 or 6 iron and see what you think. Then you can always hard step (or soft step) if you need it when you rebuild the remainder of the set. Use lead tape to swingweight the test club to where the feel suits you. Then the test club can be used to blueprint the remainder...

MegaWatty
1st November 2009, 06:13 PM
Mega,

'Cos you're putting them in Miz that means you will have to use taper tips. You get them in either R,S or X and adjust the installation according to whether you want them stiffer or softer.

The Parallel shafts have tip trimming and so you have a LOT more scope to get many different frequencies from the one shaft.

I would suggest the S Taper to start with, put it in a 5 or 6 iron and see what you think. Then you can always hard step (or soft step) if you need it when you rebuild the remainder of the set. Use lead tape to swingweight the test club to where the feel suits you. Then the test club can be used to blueprint the remainder...

Overload! I'll just come and see you. Do you have any S KBS' hanging around? You can work it all out, and I'll just pay you! I try to keep it all pretty simple so I don't confuse myself. That's why god created clubmakers.

virge666
1st November 2009, 07:21 PM
KBS are lighter, higher launch and have a softer tip that what your DG are.

People will say "better feeling" because they are softer.

Jarro
2nd November 2009, 01:32 AM
KBS are lighter, higher launch and have a softer tip that what your DG are.

People will say "better feeling" because they are softer.

Kinda like a forged iron over a cast one 'eh ?

:mrgreen:

adlo
2nd November 2009, 01:36 AM
Incorrect Jarro. Forged clubs are like butter, you can just "feel" it.

Jarro
2nd November 2009, 01:37 AM
I like butter

adlo
2nd November 2009, 01:40 AM
Telling forged and cast clubs apart is like claiming to know the difference between butter and "I can't believe its not Butter"

Impossible!!

Jarro
2nd November 2009, 01:43 AM
Why the hell would you take the word of this ponce !!!

http://www.fabioifc.com/2007_STORIES/05-fabio021006_big1thmb.jpg

You can always tell real butter from the wannabees

adlo
2nd November 2009, 01:54 AM
:lol:

KBS shaft thread = butter discussion = an untimely entry made by Fabio.

Gold Jarro.

Yossarian
2nd November 2009, 01:57 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2lwvimg.jpg

and for another forum member

http://i35.tinypic.com/4hxjrd.jpg

razaar
2nd November 2009, 08:36 AM
Telling forged and cast clubs apart is like claiming to know the difference between butter and "I can't believe its not Butter"

Impossible!!
Can see the difference by looking at them; knowing they are different, the senses can feel a difference ...like everything else.

3oneday
2nd November 2009, 09:37 AM
I wonder how KBS would go in the Toppies.

Jarro
2nd November 2009, 09:44 AM

Quite good i'd expect

3oneday
2nd November 2009, 09:48 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if these shafts may over capitalise them a touch.

;)

Jarro
2nd November 2009, 09:53 AM
They'll aid in resale for sure.

They've got TOUR on the labels after all 8)

3oneday
2nd November 2009, 09:59 AM
They match the heads then ;)

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2009, 06:24 PM

Sacrilege, sheer sacrilege!

3oneday
2nd November 2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, you're right, the Toppies would reject them I think.

MegaWatty
3rd November 2009, 12:31 AM
And they say thread jacking is a WA thing.....

Now I know...
http://rlv.zcache.com/anyone_can_get_jacked_next_level_tee_tshirt-p2350042418182121053sq1_400.jpg

markTHEblake
3rd November 2009, 01:08 AM
frankly I would much rather not be Jacked at all.

3oneday
3rd November 2009, 05:12 AM
Sorry for starting up a new thread on KBS, but I have some specific questions relating to ME that I was hoping to have answered.

And they say thread jacking is a WA thing.....

sorry, isn't one page on you enough ?

;)

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2009, 07:22 AM
Yeah, you're right, the Toppies would reject them I think.

I'd reject Jennifer Hawkins too

;)

3oneday
3rd November 2009, 08:01 AM
I'd reject Jennifer Hawkins too

;)
my Toppies wouldn't ;)

MegaWatty
3rd November 2009, 09:22 AM
sorry, isn't one page on you enough ?

;)

Hmmmm, tough crowd. :)

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2009, 05:54 PM
my Toppies wouldn't ;)

Are you implying Hawkins has something KBS doesn't?

:shock:

Oldplayer
5th November 2009, 10:08 AM
I swapped my usual dgs300 for KBS taper tip s soft stepped twice into some ap2's. They felt pretty smooth but I lost a 1 club distance which was unacceptable for me as I do not hit my irons that far anyway. I was surpised as I was trying to gain some distance without losing control by going a little softer with the KBS. I also had a set built (i know a clubmaker who had a set of shafts lying around) with KBS .370 reg. tipped to firm. I am back to playing the ole s300's.
I concur with others here that the KBS feel great but play shorter and fly higher.

jakal
15th November 2009, 02:35 AM
I just received my order from Pro Stix golf via ebay. I contacted them through their ebay email and they organised a set based on my specifications. I decided to go for 5.5 soft stepped once. That brings the overall stiffness down to 5.2. if you read up on soft stepping you will know what i mean. Pro Stix did the order, prepped and spinned the shafts and they arrived in 2 weeks all packaged nicely. Total cost including delivery to Melbourne was approx $220. I would recommend them. Answered all my emails promptly. I think 6.0 may be a bit stiff. Get on KBS facebook site or email them and get some advice. All the guys I contacted based on swing speed, type, 6I carry etc seem to all suggest i get 5.5 and soft step. Even though I played PX 5.5 and DGS300 with no probs. Shouldn't cost you more than 10 bucks a club to fit. (mine cost 7 each) Get them Monday.