PDA

View Full Version : 2009 balls: by the numbers

Scottt
1st November 2009, 08:39 AM
I saw this in one of the UK mags and thought it might help a few people choose a ball.

How it was done
Using a robot and a 10.5 degree driver, balls were hit at 96mph, then hit with a 56 degree wedge at a half-swing.

Driver
All balls had marginal differences in spin rate (within 400rpm) and launch angle (within one degree). Of course at a higher swing speed, the lower compression balls will fly a short distance because they waste energy by compressing at impact.

Wedge
This is where a difference was clear. The balls, plotted on a graph, follow a general line from high launch/low spin to low launch/high spin.

Driver spin rates
(from 2500rpm to 2900rpm. Each grouping is roughly an additional 50rpm and listed lowest launch to highest)

TM Burner
---
Callaway Tour ix
Bridgestone E6+
Callaway Diablo
---
Bridgestone E5+
TM Burner TP
Srixon Soft Feel
---
Nike One Tour D
Callaway Tour i
Nike One Vapour
---
Titleist NXT Tour
Callaway HX Hot Bite
Titleist ProV1x
---
Srixon Z-Star X
Bridgestone B330-RX
TM TP Black
---
TM TP Red
Bridgestone B330-S
Bridgestone B330
Srixon Z-Star
---
Titleist ProV1
Nike One Tour
Titleist PTS Carry

Wedge spin
4000 Bridgestone E6+
4150 Srixon Soft Feel
5300 Nike One Vapour
5450 Callaway Diablo
6000 TM Burner
6300 Titleist PTS Carry
6650 Titleist NXT Tour
6800 Callaway HX Hot Bite
6850 Bridgestone B330-RX
6950 Callaway Tour ix
6950 Nike One Tour D
7050 Bridgestone E5+
7200 TM Burner TP
7275 Callaway Tour i
7350 TM TP Red
7400 TM TP Black
7400 Srixon Z-Star X
7400 Bridgestone B330
7400 Nike One Tour
7475 Titleist ProV1x
7550 Srixon Z-Star
7550 Titleist ProV1
7625 Bridgestone B330-S

Hope you find that helpful.

razaar
1st November 2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks Scottt, good info to have. I wonder what the numbers (driver) would be if the robot was set up for the driver to hit the ball with a steeper angle of attack (from outside to in) with the clubface out of alignment, which is how the majority of golfers on the planet swing. I'm betting that those in the mid spin range would be the most popular with the majority of golfers.

Johnny Canuck
1st November 2009, 10:38 AM
Interesting info.

I agree with the Carry being highest launching. I used it in an ambrose event and it flew like anything.

I need to break out the 330-S again, as I've never got that much spin out of them.

Interesting that my favorites are all grouped together for wedge spin:
7475 Titleist ProV1x
7550 Srixon Z-Star
7550 Titleist ProV1

Also tried the Callaway tour i yesterday, quite a nice ball. Much better than the HX Tour.

Scottt
1st November 2009, 11:03 AM
I have never used a TM ball, but that Burner TP with only 150rpm less than the TM premium pills looks tempting.

I'm a bit disillusioned with the premium pills at the moment. I'm tempted to see if I can find a mid-range ball that can satisfy in the short game spin/putting department.

TM Burner TP and Bridgestone E5+ look good. Though for some reason I have always steered away from both ball companies. Dunno why...

bergsey
1st November 2009, 11:46 AM
Wow, can't believe the Callaway Tour i spins less that a ProV1x.... the Callaways almost spin too much for me.... and normally play a B330s :shock:

Hux
1st November 2009, 12:44 PM
Well if we swung the same as the robot then we would match the numbers but the vagaries of peoples swings mean they react differently.
The swing speed is on the low side for starters for a premium pill. The harder hitters would no doubt have quite different results as woudl no doubt different angles of attacks etc etc etc.

With a wedge for me nothing stops as hard as the Nike Tour One. On home course playing similar conditions with the top range balls the Tour One is the spinniest compared to TM TP LDP Red/Black and Pro V1 and B330.

cobra
1st November 2009, 12:58 PM

I'm a bit disillusioned with the premium pills at the moment. I'm tempted to see if I can find a mid-range ball that can satisfy in the short game spin/putting department.

TM Burner TP and Bridgestone E5+ look good. Though for some reason I have always steered away from both ball companies. Dunno why...[/quote]

Can i suggest you try a pinnacle exception or now known as the pinnacle platinum feel
I have tied a 1000 balls and still keep coming back to this ball
Does everything i want it too will stop quickly on greens yet still travel well off the driver with great distance
some friends have tried and have been converted
Loke you i find the Pso called premium balls a bit indifferent considering all the hype
For bang for your buck at least give them a go
Had my best round 2 over , a hole in one and an eagle two with this ball

adlo
2nd November 2009, 01:06 AM
The e5+ plus is a good ball Scottt. The only thing to note (especially for someone golfing in links land) is it has a high trajectory. Otherwise, they are hard to beat for price.

just
2nd November 2009, 09:16 AM
The e5+ plus is a good ball Scottt. The only thing to note (especially for someone golfing in links land) is it has a high trajectory. Otherwise, they are hard to beat for price.
They have very high spin. I did a Bridgestone ball fitting and they told me the E5/E5+ were spinning too much off the driver for me. Very good balls though for the price.

Scottt
2nd November 2009, 09:39 AM
Cheers boys. The S58s with ZZ65s in them seem to hit the ball crazy low, so a bit of extra launch might not hurt. Will give them a crack and see how they go.

Anyone played the Burner TP?

3oneday
2nd November 2009, 09:40 AM
Yep, one of the better TM drivers.

Scottt
2nd November 2009, 09:50 AM
Boom tish!

Jarro
2nd November 2009, 09:56 AM
Yep, one of the better TM drivers.

That's why it's not in your bag then 'eh :roll:

3oneday
2nd November 2009, 10:02 AM
Boom tish!
I was actually being serious, well as serious as one can be with TaylorMade drivers :)

That's why it's not in your bag then 'eh :roll:

Yep, like performance has anything to do with it :roll:

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2009, 10:55 AM
I tried one a while back and was surprised that it was actually decent. I was expecting something similar to a Diablo.

Not a bad mid-range ball at all.

Tongueboy
2nd November 2009, 02:32 PM
do as cobra says. try a pinnacle platinum feel. they are ok

Scottt
2nd November 2009, 09:05 PM
try a pinnacle platinum feel. they are ok

I hear the suits at Pinnacle are looking at using that as their slogan for their TV ad campaign :lol:

ParMaster
2nd November 2009, 09:11 PM
:lol:

Is it just my imagination or would a higher spinning ball be more susceptible to being drawn/faded? More workable?

henno
2nd November 2009, 11:03 PM
I hear the suits at Pinnacle are looking at using that as their slogan for their TV ad campaign :lol:

That's pretty funny. :lol:

Scottt
2nd November 2009, 11:06 PM
:lol:

Is it just my imagination or would a higher spinning ball be more susceptible to being drawn/faded? More workable?

Indeed. More spin = more side spin = bigger hooks and slices.

Yet another reason most golfers should steer clear of premium pills.

ParMaster
2nd November 2009, 11:29 PM
Ok.

So would the difference between a Bridgestone E-6 and the B330-s be noticeable when trying to work the ball? Or is it quite minor?

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2009, 11:39 PM
at your level, very noticeable young grasshopper. i can't use an e-6 around greens myself useless i have room to work.

adlo
3rd November 2009, 04:15 AM
Pup, big difference I would say.

Scottt, I know you continue to ignore my advice, as you bought the bloody Z-Star-X balls instead of the Z-stars.... but I will say it again. Try a sleeve of Z stars.

Burner TP's are fine. I would say they perform pretty close to the TM TP balls.

Scottt
3rd November 2009, 04:46 AM
Adlo, because it is your birthday, sort of, I will promise the next premium pill I try will be the Z-Star - but - I am questioning whether I need to use premium pills, so I am determined to try the best of the next tier, and if they don't stack up, I will give the Z-Star a go.

adlo
3rd November 2009, 05:03 AM
No worries mate.

Give it a few months and the Z star line will be a similar price to the mid tier balls anyway (at least out of the US).

3oneday
3rd November 2009, 05:16 AM
Adlo, because it is your birthday, sort of, I will promise the next premium pill I try will be the Z-Star - but - I am questioning weather I need to use premium pills, so I am determined to try the best of the next tier, and if they don't stack up, I will give the Z-Star a go.

cold ?

adlo
3rd November 2009, 05:22 AM
Henno will be disappointed

Scottt
3rd November 2009, 06:21 AM
F**k. I've posted some bad sh!t in my time on OzGolf, but I have never been more embarrassed.

Henno, bro... man... buddy... another chance?

I feel so dirty.

AlexMc
3rd November 2009, 06:41 AM
Burner TP = NXT Tour but with more spin and about 40% cheaper new. Good balls.

Bailsworth
5th December 2009, 04:09 PM
I used the TM Burner TP balls in my round today. Usually use the Pro v1x, and had been wondering exactly what benefit i was getting from playing with the premiums in just a regular weekend comp.

These balls were great. I found there was plenty of grip on shots around the greens, a little more distance on my shots too (which caught me out a couple of times hitting into greens). They also feel great coming off the face of the putter and the wedge shots around the greens. The other benefit was that i wasn't ripping up the cover when hitting full shots with both 56* or 60* spin milled wedges.

Would definitely recommend.
(For a point of reference I play off 5, with a driver swing speed 107mph)

Scottt
5th December 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Bailsworth. When I finally play again, I'll give them a look.

TheTrueReview
5th December 2009, 10:30 PM

With a wedge for me nothing stops as hard as the Nike Tour One. On home course playing similar conditions with the top range balls the Tour One is the spinniest compared to TM TP LDP Red/Black and Pro V1 and B330.

Have you tried the Nike One Tour D? If so, how did it perform?

Hux
5th December 2009, 10:35 PM
Have you tried the Nike One Tour D? If so, how did it perform?

Mate the One D is pretty much like all the distance versions of the real high spin balls. Its okay but the TM LDP Red is a better ball for this style IMHO.
The One Tour is a great ball and only on the hardest greens will it not stop.

I am playing a combo of One D's and One Tour at present. There is no doubt the ball to pull out on any hole where you know you need to stop on the green is the One Tour.

Mr backspin Henno on the other hand preferred the D as it doesn't zip too far back for him.

henno
6th December 2009, 08:45 AM
The Tour D is a good ball, as is the TP red. Both aren't particularly durable though. In fact, both are rather ordinary (but better than their "spinny" counterparts, the Tour and TP Black.)

And it's not like I get stupid amounts of spin, it just doesn't suit my eye. Perhaps it's the tight fairways at pacific, but jizzing a ball back when I'm not expecting it to just gives me the shits.

F**k. I've posted some bad sh!t in my time on OzGolf, but I have never been more embarrassed.

Henno, bro... man... buddy... another chance?

I feel so dirty.

It's alright. I wrote you're instead of your (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=403998&postcount=58) the other day. For shame.

TheTrueReview
6th December 2009, 11:35 AM
The Tour D is a good ball, as is the TP red. Both aren't particularly durable though. In fact, both are rather ordinary (but better than their "spinny" counterparts, the Tour and TP Black.)

Your current favourite ball Henno? Reasons?

adlo
6th December 2009, 05:01 PM
So is the One Tour the king of the jizz?

Played on extremely firm and fast greens last week and have never had so much trouble stopping a pill. Needed more jizz.

IanO
27th May 2010, 11:06 AM
Can i suggest you try a pinnacle exception or now known as the pinnacle platinum feel
I have been using the Pinnacle Platinum Feel for the last 12 months and have only just moved to the Pro V1 (coz I got a great deal for the AAAA's here). I found that the Pinnacle is a great ball with the only problem being that I tear the cover up pretty quickly.

3oneday
27th May 2010, 12:25 PM
Where is Scotttt ?