PDA

View Full Version : Driving Irons

Daves
31st October 2009, 11:21 PM
Who uses a driving iron or equivalent?

What make and model?

How often do you use it in a round, and do you use it off the deck?

Why do you favour it over a hybrid or wood? What did you take out to put it in the bag?

I carry a 3i and it is a favorite club. I typically use it off the tee for at least a 3 or 4 holes in a round. I also have an old Brosnan 1i that I practice with, but not confident enough to put it in the bag. I am thinking about getting a driving iron to add to the club menagerie and I am interested in what other have found?

markTHEblake
31st October 2009, 11:28 PM
I have a Glider T (http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MA0162_A_cn_E_1)3 Iron, selected it because is originally 18 degrees, I bent it to 17 degrees, got a heavy graphite shaft and made it almost 1 iron length. You cant see how wide the sole is in the picture, but its a very wide 38mm, this makes it difficult to hit fat as it will slide across the ground.

Stupidly easy to hit due to a very low centre of gravity but still get a very low ball flight - i hit it when thats the shot i need.

razaar
31st October 2009, 11:37 PM
I didn't think there was a need for this type of club with todays golf balls.

adlo
31st October 2009, 11:43 PM
Ray, it is encouraging to see someone of your "vintage" so eager to keep up with the modern aspect of the game. I cannot tell you how many older guys I play with who just do not give modern technology a chance. Around my course, there are quite a few corners you can cut with a nice high ball. But they are all convinced a driver should start really low and climb. They all say "wow, you hit the driver way too high". I try to explain high launch, low spin with modern golf balls/drivers and they generally just flat out disagree. Their loss.

Blakey, no doubt he is 20 years your junior, seems quite stuck in the past :lol:

Daves
1st November 2009, 12:04 AM
I didn't think there was a need for this type of club with todays golf balls.

Hi Raz,

can you expand a bit on your comments when you get a chance.

I can hit my 3 iron with quite a high ball flight, or a lower running shot if needed. I use it because I feel it is the right combination of distance and accuracy when I need to lay up on shorter or tighter tee shots. My driver swing tends to give me a high bomb style ball flight.

razaar
1st November 2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Raz,

can you expand a bit on your comments when you get a chance.

I can hit my 3 iron with quite a high ball flight, or a lower running shot if needed. I use it because I feel it is the right combination of distance and accuracy when I need to lay up on shorter or tighter tee shots. My driver swing tends to give me a high bomb style ball flight.
Dave, I was referring to a driving iron - a 3-iron is not a driving iron in my experience. A driving iron is a heavily weighted iron with lofts ranging between 16* and 21* and became popular with players who found it difficult to achieve results with a wooden driver. The advances in metal woods with longer shafts and larger heads across the whole spectrum of fairway clubs which includes hybrids has made the driving iron obsolete. The improvements in the aerodynamics of the present day ball to the ball of say 20 years ago allows an old guy like me to hit the ball further and straighter than I ever did in my youth.

BrisVegas
1st November 2009, 09:42 AM
I used the Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18deg yesterday a few times off the tee. It was actually one club that behaved itself. I even used it off the deck once. Not a bad stick. Useless for high and soft, but handy for low, straight and running.

WBennett
1st November 2009, 10:49 AM
I have a 21 degree Fli Hi with Exsar stiff. Love it. I hit it 190-210m, with a great penetrating flight. When playing well I can do anything with it...

Daves
1st November 2009, 11:04 AM
I have a 21 degree Fli Hi with Exsar stiff. Love it. I hit it 190-210m, with a great penetrating flight. When playing well I can do anything with it...

I hit my 3iron about that far. But on windy days (20knt+) it is not always possible (for me) to keep it (or a hybrid) low enough into the wind to get it out there. Hence my contemplation of a driving iron. I have a 9.5* TM R7 driver I put in the bag in place of my normal 11* driver on windy days. It is set up with a draw bias and I can usually keep it reasonably low and penetrating without having to resort to trying to hit low running hooks.

The Mizzy MP Fli Hi is one of the options I am contemplating. I already have a CLK Fli Hi in 17* with a stiff Exsar, but find I hit it a bit higher than I am looking for in the wind. Have not swung it for a little while, so must take it to the range next trip and check out how I am hitting it now.

idgolfguy
1st November 2009, 11:31 AM
Ping S59 2 iron - about 180m carry and 25m of run. Can get the ball high too.

Daves
1st November 2009, 06:17 PM
Wishon also do a Driving Iron style Hybrid.

http://www.wishongolf.com/designs_details.php?dKey=70&dType=iron

Only goes down to 21* for LH, the same loft as my 3i, but could put a lower flight shaft in it I guess.