PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever hit a passing car?

fenderpinky
31st October 2009, 12:50 AM
i actually hit a passing car today... only about 40m from the green and had a nasty greenside bunker to hit over, naturally i topped it and it went sailing over the green at low height and high speed till it hit the side of a car driving past the course.

luckily the guy wasn't too bad about the situation and we traded details for insurance blah blah blah, but dont some courses have insurance for this kind of thing? especially when the 9 hole course has THREE shots where u actually have to hit over this road?

adlo
31st October 2009, 12:59 AM
I think so. Are you a member of a golf club? You would definitely have insurance if that is the case.

I remember qbnchopper telling a similar story, but I am pretty sure that was at a private course, so insurance covered it.

razaar
31st October 2009, 01:00 AM
Clubs have public liability cover and the club's management will be the best to advise you if this incident is covered. You should bring it to their attention in any case so that it is on record.

markTHEblake
31st October 2009, 01:03 AM
you have no personal liability, precedent has been set in court years ago that a golfer doesn't have any responsibilty to hit the ball straight. So for someone to sue you successfully they have to prove that you were negligent, and that would be impossible, unless of course you were.

Most golf courses have insurance to cover damage by golfers, you should report this to the club as they cant claim unless they have the golfers name. Even if they do not have insurance, they will probably pay anyway (because they found that it was cheaper not to pay the insurance policy)

Also if you are a member of any golf club in Australia, you also have a public liability policy as part of your fees.

TourFit
31st October 2009, 01:15 AM
Yes, I also have hit a passing car..........with a club !!!! :oops:

My old original persimmon 2 wood. I was aged 16 or so. 2nd Hole @ Denmark (right next to the main road into town)...Swung, club slipped, sailed WAYYYYYY up high and over some 15-20ft high trees at the side of the tee box and down on the bonnet of said passing car. Great timing on his part to park the vehicle at PRECISELY the time it started raining clubs.

Haven't done it since tho....... I don't play many courses these days with tees adjacent to roads :mrgreen:

Grunt
31st October 2009, 07:16 AM
I hit a bus when playing at Botany as a school kid. It was on the first hole I hooked it out on to Botany Raod and straight into the windscreen of the 309 Bus going towards the City. My ball was last seen going past the club up Botany Road at about 45km/h

goughy
31st October 2009, 08:32 AM
I bladed it out of bunker and punched a neat hole through the rear side glass of a passing station wagon about 70mtrs away. They were fine about it (as fine as you can be) and even fished my ball out of the back of their car for me! I gave them all my details, then contacted the club. They then went into the club and the club took care of it; I think they just paid for it too, rather than going through insurance.

WBennett
31st October 2009, 08:36 AM
I put one through the window of a parked car at Mollymook beachside when I was about 12 - hit a cut off the 8th tee and smashed the rear window of the XE Falcon.

Needless to say I near shit myself and quickly played another ball without owning up to anything.

sms316
31st October 2009, 08:39 AM
Warming up for the second round of the Bathurst Open in 2000 (and arriving in a near-paraletic state), my first effort with a 5-iron went straight along the ground. Second effort was a shank. Third effort was an almighty snap-hook which hit the windscreen of a passing car 30m right of the practice fairway.

Got the hell out of there and never owned up.

zacdullard
31st October 2009, 08:45 AM
The car park is literally 8 to 10m from the left hand edge of the 18th green at Gympie. It is a par 5 so people often hit long clubs into the green, one day I hooked a 5 wood and it smashed a front light of a ute.

It beats me why people park there when there are plenty of other carparks which are out of reach, however these ones seem to always be filled up first.

henno
31st October 2009, 08:49 AM
My work car has a few dings on the roof from parking behind the 18th at Indro (behind the hedge - Gold 9th). It's only wedge in, but somehow people find a way to fly the green by 20-30m.

I've seen more than a few cars get hit on the 5th at Wynnum.

qbnchopper
31st October 2009, 09:07 AM
I think so. Are you a member of a golf club? You would definitely have insurance if that is the case.

I remember qbnchopper telling a similar story, but I am pretty sure that was at a private course, so insurance covered it.

Yep - a nice bullet like sound to it when it hit the windscreen ... hope that you asked the driver if he saw where your ball went !!!8)8)

Courty
31st October 2009, 10:05 AM
Years ago when I was shit(er) I hit a massive hook off the tee on the 6th at Gordonvale (500m par 5). It sailed over the tree line and bounced in the middle of the highway between 2 cars which would have been doing 90kmh+. :shock: Needless to say my sphincter tightened momentarily.

WBennett
31st October 2009, 11:27 AM
I also hit a bus on MacArthur Avenue, O'Connor hitting a 6 many moons ago. The bang was unbelievably loud, but the driver kept going

Jarro
31st October 2009, 11:35 AM
I once played Virginia with a mate who put two consecutive tee-shots over the netting the borders the (old) 5th hole (long par 5)

Both tee shots hit cars travelling down Sandgate Rd :shock:

terrys
31st October 2009, 07:48 PM
I hit a train at Mt Broughton on the 13th with a tee shot that went straight right rather than draw. Bounced back to the middle of the fairway. Perfect.

Dazza
31st October 2009, 07:59 PM
Haven't hit a car, but came very VERY close to knocking a kid off his bike. Reloaded, and the next ball I managed to drop it onto the roof of the house nearby.
Not the best day I've had!

Grunt
31st October 2009, 08:32 PM
I hit a train at Mt Broughton on the 13th with a tee shot that went straight right rather than draw. Bounced back to the middle of the fairway. Perfect.

Done that to but not to the middle of the fairway.

razaar
31st October 2009, 08:58 PM
Hit a car from the eleventh tee at Wantima 12 years ago. Quite a feat given that the tee faces in the opposite direction to the road. My tee shot was semi topped and it hit the front timber border of the tee box, ricocheted back over my head hitting a car in the 80km zone. Better the car than me eating it.

dee cee
31st October 2009, 09:48 PM
Hit the postie in the back as he was riding a bike on the footpath. He wasn't a happy camper....

dee cee

razaar
31st October 2009, 09:59 PM
Pretty impressive little DC...hitting a postie.

ParMaster
31st October 2009, 10:19 PM
I haven't hit a car myself. Although today at Mac Links I saw someone hit the clubhouse on his 2nd shot to the 9th. Pretty nice bounce of it aswell.

Johnny Canuck
31st October 2009, 10:49 PM
Very funny story regarding this.

My good mate and a friend of his went to South Carolina on a golf trip. They got paired up with a man and his son.

3 holes in, my mate turns to his mate and says "Is this fat bitch going to follow us all day?", referring to the lady in a cart behind them, thinking it was the marshal.

The man replies "that's my wife".

A few holes later, my mate hits a big slice and hits a car. He tells everyone to deny everything as the driver stopped.

My mate and his mate deny everything. The man, seeking revenge for my mate calling his wife a "fat bitch", points at my mate and says "it was him".

Sucked in!

Courty
31st October 2009, 11:04 PM
Hehe, that reminds me, I played with my Dad & Uncle in North Carolina in the late 80's. I can't tell you what course it was, but I clearly remember my Dad blading a tee shot straight into the ribs of a grazing deer about 30m in front of the tee box. :lol:

fenderpinky
1st November 2009, 08:17 AM
ok, well i'm currently not a member of any course, and this particular club doesnt have a pro shop and i rocked up at 5pm so the little kiosk in the wall was shut, but i filled out a reciept book for the Honest Box so that has in their that i played on that date and that i payed my fees.... so by the sounds of what you guys are saying, i sound covered. my give that dude a call and let him know whats going on cos i wont be able to ring the course for a few days lol

thank you very much guys for the info :)

dee cee
1st November 2009, 08:54 AM
If only the postie thought it was impressive Razaar.... He gave our group a gobfull. Rightly so of course. I've never been hit by a golf ball but man, it's gotta hurt.

dcee

Yossarian
1st November 2009, 03:30 PM
I have, and i still made par.

petethepilot
2nd November 2009, 06:33 PM
Don't want to seem to be name dropping but I saw the greatest shot off a car in the history of golf. I was touring Scotland back in 1994 and met up with a mad Irishman and an Aussie (both students at St Andrews University) whilst walking the old course at St Andrews early one evening. As we played up 18 towards the R&A, a couple of hundred sightseers watched our progress from behind the green (pretty normal). The right hand side over the boundary fence is a tow-away zone in front of Old Tom Morris's proshop, the St Andrews golf club clubhouse and the other classic old buildings.

The fairways were pretty tight and my Irish mate had 85 yards to the pin. After studying the shot, he hit the flattest hardest lateral shank you could ever hope to do. Straight into the side of an illegally parked brand new black 7 series beemer. The rebound chased up through the 'valley of sin' to nestle in the hole for a two. The irishman walked with arms stretched up above his head to pick his ball out of the hole. The crowd roared as if witnessing the climax to the Open championship. The 2 allowed him to beat his Aussie mate by 2 shots!

We never did find out what happened to the beemer. Probably got a parking ticket for his trouble!

regards,

pete :razz:

BrisVegas
3rd November 2009, 08:38 AM
that's awesome pete! I was fortunate to play TOC in 2001 and that final hole is pretty intimidating. I think I aimed diagonally across the 'paddock' at the first tee as I didn't want to go anywhere near that road and the OOB. Fortunately for me, my tee shot ended up in the Valley of Sin, so I didn't need to hit a very big second. I reckon I'd have been almost a certainty of shanking it if I had any sort of full second shot in.

tommy
3rd November 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

i didn't hit a passing car, but i did try hitting a stationary one...
a group of 3 youths aged 18-21 in there Holden kept pressing the horn(A very LOUD one) every time i went to take a putt on the green(@ Goonawara) after doing this about 3-4 times i got frustrated and then they started laughing, so i got out my wedge and tried hitting the ball on the car hoping to shatter their front window.. but coz im an amateur at golf the ball went nowhere near :) so i just moved on..

cheers

Lilsprints
1st March 2010, 10:01 PM
Not a car but smashed one of our clubhouse windows, the restaurant area of our clubhouse is about 20m behind the 18th green, so patrons can look down on it as people come up.

Well they got a special surprise during lunch that day :-"

Moe Norman
1st March 2010, 11:25 PM
hit a few playing cricket

Eldrick
1st March 2010, 11:31 PM
Not a car but smashed one of our clubhouse windows, the restaurant area of our clubhouse is about 20m behind the 18th green, so patrons can look down on it as people come up.

Well they got a special surprise during lunch that day :-"
:smt038
nice work

Sydney Hacker
2nd March 2010, 10:28 AM
hit a few playing cricket

Weren't you a bowler ? You sure you didn't just put it on a tee for the batsman ?

Hawkers2008
2nd March 2010, 12:01 PM
Lots of cars used to get hit at Moore Park. Can't rememeber the hole number pretty early in the back nine, the first hole after you re-cross the road back to the clubhouse side. Its years since I played there and I think the layout has been changed since.

Seen lots of balls go into variouse clubhouses over the years especially on the old 18th hole and Wauchope. Balls hit into it would generally bounce back and some would even make it back to the green.

///M Power
4th March 2010, 10:40 AM
I played with a guy 2 weeks ago that hit a parked TNT courier van at Nth Adelaide on the back 9. Shanked a 5 iron badly, SMACK!! One bounce right into the door, the guy in the van was sleeping, woke him up, he didn't seem to care because it was his work van.

I was playing Mount Barker a month ago, the 18th, hit a nice drive, got to my second shot and decided on a 7 iron to the green. Was the wrong choice, I hit it clean and it sailed into the clubhouse, crashed into the frame of the window, bounced onto the decking and settled about 3m from the green, chipped on and got par!

The best I have ever seen is a workmate one morning after nightshift at Regency, on the hole that runs along South Road, hit his driver over the trees and steel fence, and landed in the back of a truck carrying a load of sand/dirt. Could not have timed it any better. People never believe me but I seen it with my own eyes!

henno
4th March 2010, 10:41 AM
landed in the back of a truck carrying a load of sand/dirt. Could not have timed it any better. People never believe me but I seen it with my own eyes!

I've seen the same thing on the 5th at Wynnum: shank over the fence and into the back of a passing tradie's ute.

Moe Norman
4th March 2010, 11:15 AM
Weren't you a bowler ? You sure you didn't just put it on a tee for the batsman ?

Yep, but I used to be a good slogger, particularly in the nets at Ipswich Grammar where cow corner was a very busy road!

I was dispatched onto that road many times, usually in a match though - not in the nets (when peak hour was on)

just
4th March 2010, 12:47 PM
This thread always reminds me of this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12211&highlight=porsche), which in turn reminds me of the red Porsche of 2008 (?).

IanO
4th March 2010, 12:55 PM
Back in the early 80's I was playing the Albury golf course and on this short PAR 4 I was about 120m from the hole, so I pulled out my 9 iron, hit the most beautiful shot of the day. The ball sailed straight over the green and through the glass skylight of a house about 30m past the green. I looked at the club and had grabbed the 6 instead ... very very embarrassed.

retiredozzie
7th March 2010, 09:56 PM
I was playing at the Port Wakefield Golf Course many years ago. The first fairway runs right next to the main Balaklava -Port Wakefield road, some 10 metres from the out of bounds markers. I drove off the first tee and hit the front of a Volvo coming in the opposite direction. My drive probably went 175 metres and was deflected straight back to me and landed some 60 metres in front of the tee block. The Volvo driver obviously did not know what had happened as he just braked, slowed, looked around and then kept on going without stopping, oblivious to a very red faced gentleman on the first tee. My estimation was a drive of 175 + 115 =290 metres...even though it only ended 60 metres off the tee.

Sydney Hacker
8th March 2010, 10:33 AM
Could of been worse... it may have come back behind the red plates so the shout would have been on you!

leighthebee
8th March 2010, 10:56 AM
Was at the Mt Maunganui in NZ.....and it was the first time I played it. No distance markers anywhere and what distance I thought uphill was a 3 iron, was actually a 7 iron. Same situation except the clubhouse has open windows.....

I was told (by some at the bar with much mirth) that after my ball flew through the open window it struck the bar and then rattled around the chairs and tables. Was told to play it as it lies by the barman.............I didn't.....

Daggs
12th March 2010, 12:30 AM
That happens a lot there so i hear....Ossie

Daggs
12th March 2010, 12:37 AM
I currently hold the steering wheel at our club... Its is acctually a steeringwheel made into a trophey for this pupose..
Pulled one ob on 17 hit dead centre bonnet luckily it was a young dero in a heap of shit who was quite happy to show dent off...

Same hole a mate put one in the back of a boat heading for the ramp . and got a ball for longdrive 1.7 kms.
The fishos must have thought WTF when they found it rollin around in there.

ozdevil
13th March 2010, 08:01 AM
]A WOMAN who suffered brain damage in a bizarre golf ball attack claims paramedics drove her home and advised her to take aspirin. [/B]
The golf ball fractured Natasha Cossell's skull when it smashed into her temple through the open window of a taxi about 2am as the cab drove beside a golf course.

read more on article here http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/golf-ball-fractures-skull-of-a-woman-inside-a-taxi/story-e6frf7kx-1225839829589

feel sorry for the woman that got hit by the wayward golfball

this happened at the sanctury lakes golf course Point cook Melbourne