PDA

View Full Version : Cane Toads and Cockroaches.

wavemaker
11th February 2005, 01:34 PM
No, not what you were thinking! I have killed 17 toads in my yard this week,plus 1 at the golf course, not including the 30 odd little ones hopping around on the 7th green. I noticed it in Cairns and then again here in Scarybugger that golf courses are great breeding grounds for these pests. The 1 I nailed on course yesterday was bigger than my fist! I always make sure to kill them as quickly and humanely as possible, but kill them I do. I feel it's a responsibility. Any one else here a passionate cane toad killer?
I kill cockys too, and feed them to the crow. We have a young crow living in the yard, he got blown out of his nest a couple of months ago and has not learnt to fly yet. His name is, predictably, ARK, and he has been a real eye opener. I never thought of crows as being amusing birds but this bloke is a real card.

Fishman Dan
11th February 2005, 02:05 PM
Need i ask Wavey, but what's your preferred method for the Cane Toads? Or should i ask - which club?

They're spreading, although i can't really say that i've seen many south of the border. I remember seeing one while on the honeymoon up near Cooky, and it was simply massive - as big as your head. It must have been the mothership :shock:

BrisVegas
11th February 2005, 02:13 PM
Need i ask Wavey, but what's your preferred method for the Cane Toads? Or should i ask - which club?

I prefer a spray-bottle of bleach or other undiluted cleaning product to slow/stun them. Then it's simply a matter of aligning the tail of of the toad at the target and putting a solid sweeping blow under the chin with a short iron. 8-9 iron works well. Loft is key. Nothing worse than a cart-wheeling toad slamming into a fence after an attempted 3 iron slap shot. Better to take a lofted iron and carry over the obstacle. The aerodynamics of a smashed toad aren't conducive to lift.

Fishman Dan
11th February 2005, 02:23 PM

I prefer a spray-bottle of bleach or other undiluted cleaning product to slow/stun them. Then it's simply a matter of aligning the tail of of the toad at the target and putting a solid sweeping blow under the chin with a short iron. 8-9 iron works well. Loft is key. Nothing worse than a cart-wheeling toad slamming into a fence after an attempted 3 iron slap shot. Better to take a lofted iron and carry over the obstacle. The aerodynamics of a smashed toad aren't conducive to lift.

So what's your club-head speed when approaching a stunned cane toad, and what's the optimum launch angle? Have you had your spin rate tested with the toad off the clubface?

I guess a stiff shaft is preferred by most when lining up a cane toad?

BrisVegas
11th February 2005, 02:36 PM

So what's your club-head speed when approaching a stunned cane toad, and what's the optimum launch angle? Have you had your spin rate tested with the toad off the clubface?

I guess a stiff shaft is preferred by most when lining up a cane toad?

80-85 mph with 8 iron. Hard to go much faster as I'm usually wearing thongs and no glove. The grips on my old toad irons are pretty slick too. Regular shaft is fine. The extra kick is useful.

Launch angle is ideally around 35-40 degrees. Depends on the toad spin rate too. Haven't had the spin rate tested, but would be keen to borrow Terry's launch monitor one night to chase any possible improvements.

Toad Long Driving (TLD) should be a competitve sport... :idea:

wavemaker
11th February 2005, 02:36 PM
At home I use a cane knife, large flat blade with a hook on the upper outside end. Smash old mate with the flat and then flip him on his back and drive the hook thru from the throat up. Always flip em over or risk a squirt of the good stuff in your eye. Then I scoop em up and toss them out on the street, jic. On course its what ever club i'm holding then over he goes for the coup de gras with pocket knife blade thru throat and skull. Simple really. I dont like the dettol solution tho as it's too slow and they suffer.

amanda
11th February 2005, 02:48 PM
eeewww! I hope you have something to clean your clubs with - I'm glad I don't live in Qld - I don't think I could kill toads.

BrisVegas
11th February 2005, 02:52 PM
eeewww! I hope you have something to clean your clubs with - I'm glad I don't live in Qld - I don't think I could kill toads.

Your opinion is respected. My opinion, however, is that I'd rather kill a cane toad than take a chance that it could kill my dog. They're quite poisonous, especially to curious dogs.

Ducky
11th February 2005, 02:55 PM
I hope you have something to clean your clubs with - I'm glad I don't live in Qld - I don't think I could kill toads.
It's second nature to the rednecks from up north...

:smt016

I'm interested though, do they just spray poison at you? Or can they inject it somehow?

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

markTHEblake
11th February 2005, 03:14 PM
I don't think I could kill toads.

If you lived here you would - it comes with the territory.

We used to get a Johnsons baby shampoo bottle and empty the shampoo out (make sure mum is not looking), and fill with Kero. Squirt onto the toads and light em up, and they go, Hop, Hop, Hop, POP.

The odd thing is that the next day, there were never any carcasses lying around, even though we knew exactly where they should be.

Warning, do not use Petrol if you have run out of kero. Its damn hard trying to put out a 10 metre long trail of fire in the middle of the street when a car is coming.

Ona
11th February 2005, 04:00 PM
i miss cain toads :cry:

Jarro
11th February 2005, 05:22 PM
i hate the bloody things :!:

Kill 'em as slowly as possible so they suffer heaps :twisted:

i love the Dettol method.. they really squirm and hop around like crazy after a good blast of that stuff.

Keza_G
11th February 2005, 09:03 PM
I have never hit a caney with a golf club, I personally prefer the good old Gray Nicholls...... more raw force behind it. I also prefer to wait for the jump so as to gain more loft...

cheers

Keza

PS I hate roaches.... ewwwwww...

McMw
11th February 2005, 09:23 PM
I'm curious to know....what actually happens to the cane toads when you take a full swing at it??? implodes/explodes or remains intact??? :wink:

Onewood
11th February 2005, 10:01 PM
I'm curious to know....what actually happens to the cane toads when you take a full swing at it??? implodes/explodes or remains intact??? :wink:

Generally stay intact with a pitching wedge :D they die quiet easily with one hit and the timing does'nt matter :roll: you can hit them thin,fat or sweet and they're gooorne :D

Thats what I've heard....I would'nt hirt a fly :D

markTHEblake
11th February 2005, 10:43 PM
make sure you abreviate the follow through, sometimes they get caught on the clubface. I can personally assure you, it aint a nice feeling having one fall onto the back of your neck, with his guts hanging out of his mouth.

AndyP
12th February 2005, 12:16 AM
Warning, do not use Petrol if you have run out of kero. Its damn hard trying to put out a 10 metre long trail of fire in the middle of the street when a car is coming.
Where the hell do they go? I hit two out to the middle of the road the other day, and the next day they were nowhere in sight.

I use the 6 iron now on the toads, after the club copped a couple of big scratches off the rocks in Keperra.

I have had to hose the dog's mouth out a fewl times now, after he has had an encounter with these little bastards. It's not nice watching your dog froth at the mouth.

Keza_G
12th February 2005, 07:03 AM
Where the hell do they go? I hit two out to the middle of the road the other day, and the next day they were nowhere in sight.

I actually saw one swallow it's guts again and hop-half drag itself away....
tough buggers, please be sure that they are completely dead, do not assume that because you have nailed a 6 iron into their butt that they will not slink off later......

An abrieviated follw through and even a 2nd whollop may do the trick...

Cheers

Keza

AndyP
12th February 2005, 12:56 PM

I actually saw one swallow it's guts again and hop-half drag itself away....
tough buggers, please be sure that they are completely dead, do not assume that because you have nailed a 6 iron into their butt that they will not slink off later......

An abrieviated follw through and even a 2nd whollop may do the trick...

A few whollops, and they were uppercuts to the head. Still not enough it seems.

wavemaker
12th February 2005, 02:29 PM
That is why you have to put the knife thru the head. Must have the follow thru!

Jarro
12th February 2005, 03:33 PM
i've actually impaled a couple of them on a pitchfork ... left the thing in the ground overnight .... and come back the next day to find the pitchfork lying on the ground and the toads gone :shock:

now i just drive it thru their brain ... seems to be working alright :wink:

markTHEblake
12th February 2005, 11:00 PM
Where the hell do they go?

its uncanny. maybe they reincarnate as cockroaches.

I saw a fat one the other night when i drove the car up the driveway. Lined him up and got him, but i felt a bump, so figured it was a rock instead.

went to kick the rock off the driveway and I was right the first time, it was a toad. they must be real dense bastards.

Fishman Dan
13th February 2005, 05:02 AM
Geez i'm glad we can use a can of Mortein for our pests here. I'd leave a state requires a car to be the natural enemy of a particular pest.

990B Luva
13th February 2005, 09:17 PM
i find that the best method is a blade 6 iron with a sharp leading edge as to slice through the toad, nearly guaranteed to kill the bastard and also give decent carry, my record is 100m including roll :lol:

Jarro
14th February 2005, 05:18 AM
Geez i'm glad we can use a can of Mortein for our pests here. I'd leave a state requires a car to be the natural enemy of a particular pest.

better start packing your bags then ..... they're on the way down :wink: