PDA

View Full Version : Duty cap $1000

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 09:51 AM
Got a couple of questions about postage from the States.

If I bring in clubs that are used does the $1000 cap apply to me.

Is the cap $1000 USD or Aussie $$$.

Thanks

Daves
23rd October 2009, 09:53 AM
Got a couple of questions about postage from the States.

If I bring in clubs that are used does the $1000 cap apply to me.

Is the cap $1000 USD or Aussie $$$.

Thanks

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

1) Yes
2) AUD
3) $1,000 limit is all up cost including delivery

3oneday
23rd October 2009, 11:05 AM
I didn't think it included the delivery ? Maybe it depends on who you get.

rodders
23rd October 2009, 12:36 PM
Does not include deliver.

Value of goods shipped only.

Does not matter if new or second hand.

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 02:50 PM
If I purchase on ebay does customs except the price I paid or do they go by a list of their own?

just
23rd October 2009, 02:55 PM
The price you paid, ie what is written on the invoice attached to the goods.

3oneday
23rd October 2009, 03:11 PM
Yep, what just said is correct. Items are pre-cleared prior to arrival, so if the invoice exceeds $1,000 aussie on the day they are clearing it will be held up and charged.

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 03:40 PM
I am having stuff from Ebay sent to my mate in the States who will then send it to me. Is the internal postage included in the $1000 limit?

3oneday
23rd October 2009, 03:41 PM
No, it's what your mate puts on the USPS form.

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 03:43 PM
By the way if anyone wants to buy a special club that is a US only listing then you can PM me and we can work something out.

MegaWatty
23rd October 2009, 03:45 PM
By the way if anyone wants to buy a special club that is a US only listing then you can PM me and we can work something out.

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 03:46 PM
I'm buying Titleist clubs.
906f2 15* V2 bought
735CM Irons bidding.

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 03:47 PM
What does that mean?

MegaWatty
23rd October 2009, 03:49 PM
What does that mean?

Curious for more info. Do you have a contact in the US? I'm after something non golf related that I can't get shipped over. It's not a gun.

Ferrins
23rd October 2009, 04:00 PM
I have a good and trusted mate of over 30 years and another mate who's mate's with him. The packages will be delivered to his business which receives daily UPS deliveries. Both guy's are in the same city and meet once a week to play tennis. This is important to have a backup. I don't care what legal item you want. This is not a business venture so I'm not interested in helping you get something to flog off. However if it's a personal item that you crave then let me know. Just chip in for postage.

MegaWatty
23rd October 2009, 04:05 PM
It's for my own home, and totally legal. Just a whole lot cheaper at the moment with the $$$ the way it is. I'll try and work out the postage costs myself and get in contact with you.

Cheers!

terrys
23rd October 2009, 10:20 PM
and sometimes you can get lucky. I've been charged duty on $1050 value, but not on something over $3k. And that hasn't happened just once, i received something yesterday valued at $1536US on the form but it went straight through.

Daves
23rd October 2009, 10:54 PM
I didn't think it included the delivery ? Maybe it depends on who you get.

Half right I guess . Customs Duty (5%) only applies to the cost of the goods, and does not include the delivery costs. But GST also applies (10%) and is on the total cost of goods including delivery plus customs duty etc. Somewhat of a lottery as some have indicated as to whether you may be picked up. But, you do not want to be caught avoiding the duty!!

ozdevil
24th October 2009, 09:24 AM
Just a thought

What is to say you and the seller agree to pay the price that you won the auction at or brought the item at

then on the invoice made the purchase at below the $1000

eg you brought a set of clubs for $1200 Aud and paid the seller that but put on invoice $999 just to keep it below that $1000

Buyer is happy recieves goods and is under the 1000 bucks for the customs part

Seller is happy he still gets his full payment

customs would be nun the wiser

just a thought

Ferrins
24th October 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm happy to play above board. Just want to be clear on my entitlements.

ozdevil
24th October 2009, 09:35 AM
I'm happy to play above board. Just want to be clear on my entitlements.

it was just a thought...

in ways i think playing above the board is the best way anyway as karma has a way of dealing with things

Tomo
24th October 2009, 10:35 AM
I won some gear for RC car racing a few years ago. Had the dude in the US bullshit on the declaration to bring it under the $1000 cutoff.

I got a letter from Customs asking for me to bring a printout from the Ebay auction for proof of purchase price.

They are not that silly after all.....sometimes.

markTHEblake
25th October 2009, 07:26 PM
I got a letter from Customs asking for me to bring a printout from the Ebay auction for proof of purchase price.

Now who was the joker in the other thread who derided me when I said they can do just that.

Thats clear evidence that if you lie on the invoice values you can be caught out. I used to play golf with a customs officer, and his exact words were "we aint stupid, we know what everything is worth".

I also understand that there is a difference between using couriers; always charged, and Post service; never charged, something like that. But i know we have covered all of that in a few of the previous 20 threads on this subject.

Time for a sticky!

Tomo
25th October 2009, 08:06 PM
I also got caught out buying RC tyres from Hong Kong.

I bought a shitload of them in.
I had the bloke pack them in separate packages, but the all got picked up and linked at customs.