PDA

View Full Version : Playing SimGolf

Bruce
22nd October 2009, 09:36 PM
Tips for those starting out.

Getting I.M.Picky around the course is very important. He needs to complete a round and be happy in order to open up more land. I think he first appears at 400 happiness and then will come back with every additional 100. (500, 600 etc)
Once he gets on the course - STOP BUILDING. You want him finished as soon as possible and you don't want to increase your happiness while he is on the course as that is wasted growth in getting him to visit again. Don't grow too fast or you will run out of land before Mr Picky has the chance to play enough rounds to give you room to move.

Time is crazy. It takes ages to play the course. Once you have 18 holes it will take 3 game years to host a tournament. In that time you will generate no revenue so the purse doesn't make up for the money you will lose.

More happiness = less weeds.

The more difficult the tee shot looks the longer people will take and you can end up with long queues at a tee and Sims going postal. A few meaningless fairway squares can really speed things up.

Use the / key to see where people will hit to. Add slopes or hazards in the vicinity.

Minor_Threat
22nd October 2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the tips Bruce.. My first course I just kept spending and upgrading! It seems to be doing well, but it was bloody hectic with golfers..

ParMaster
23rd October 2009, 04:40 PM
Tips for those starting out.

Getting I.M.Picky around the course is very important. He needs to complete a round and be happy in order to open up more land. I think he first appears at 400 happiness and then will come back with every additional 100. (500, 600 etc)
Once he gets on the course - STOP BUILDING. You want him finished as soon as possible and you don't want to increase your happiness while he is on the course as that is wasted growth in getting him to visit again. Don't grow too fast or you will run out of land before Mr Picky has the chance to play enough rounds to give you room to move.

Time is crazy. It takes ages to play the course. Once you have 18 holes it will take 3 game years to host a tournament. In that time you will generate no revenue so the purse doesn't make up for the money you will lose.

More happiness = less weeds.

The more difficult the tee shot looks the longer people will take and you can end up with long queues at a tee and Sims going postal. A few meaningless fairway squares can really speed things up.

Use the / key to see where people will hit to. Add slopes or hazards in the vicinity.

I didn't know you could do that bruce.

Thanks

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2009, 07:41 PM
What have you started here Bruce? I'm installing as we speak ;)

zacdullard
23rd October 2009, 07:44 PM
I am also downloading it now. I can't wait to see what all the hype is about.

Fishman Dan
24th October 2009, 08:06 PM
Got my first 4 holes in production, with an impending visit from I.M. Picky ;)

ParMaster
24th October 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm going to try and replicate NSWGC on it. ;)

Golfnut
24th October 2009, 08:55 PM
Can this game be had gratis?
Links plz.

Fishman Dan
26th October 2009, 01:51 PM
9 holes in and I've routed myself into a corner. Added 2 more holes but it's getting a little congested. I've got a ton of land open (4 additional purchases from IM Picky visits), but I might have to make some changes to good holes.

2 Top 18 holes so far.

Bruce
26th October 2009, 03:22 PM
You can re route the holes. Build into the new land then change the sequence of holes.

And don't feel like you have to finish the 18th near the clubhouse. It can actually finish in a far corner of the course. The Sims will pay their cash, memberships etc the moment they drop that last putt so who cares how unhappy they get on the way back home.

Fishman Dan
26th October 2009, 03:27 PM
I've been constantly re-routing - no issue with that, but I've worked myself into a situation where the Sims will have to walk/drive a fair distance from the 10th to the 11th.

I was pretty annoyed, one of the parcels of land was a boring, featureless, treeless, waterless wasteland of nothing(ness).

What skill level are people playing on for that matter? I just picked 'normal' - I don't think the challenge here is to win as such, just to build courses.

ParMaster
26th October 2009, 04:02 PM
As far as I'm aware the only difference between difficulties fish is the amount of money you start out with.

Bruce
26th October 2009, 04:12 PM
The Sims are harder to make happy on the harder levels. In fact on the hardest level they are whiney little bitches. One will give a red remark because the hole was too easy while his playing partner will be red because it was too hard.

raidrboy
26th October 2009, 04:56 PM
Link please!!!

Eldrick
26th October 2009, 05:13 PM
Damn you Bruce!
i was up to 1:30am on Friday night playing this
only intended to have a quick look.... 5 hours later i dragged myself away
i built a little to fast at the start and was trying to fit 9 holes on the first parcel of land

might start again in a new location and just built 3 holes at a time and aim to spread the thing out better
but for my first go i had most of my holes in the top 100 and hosting some 600k tournies

a few questions

how do you reroute the holes?

and are you guys putting houses in?

Golfnut
26th October 2009, 11:41 PM
...... One will give a red remark because the hole was too easy while his playing partner will be red because it was too hard.

Sounds a lot like Adlo....:lol:

Golfnut
26th October 2009, 11:41 PM
Link please!!!

+1

Minor_Threat
27th October 2009, 11:22 AM
It is a very old game which you may be able to source from Ebay. Otherwise you will need to look down the path of torrents, P2P or Newsgroups.

AndyP
27th October 2009, 11:29 AM
A quick search of The Pirate Bay listed a few copies.

Eldrick
27th October 2009, 12:35 PM
A quick search of The Pirate Bay listed a few copies.

and fast too

Fishman Dan
27th October 2009, 12:50 PM
Re-routing holes is done by going to the "i" menu - you can view the course details/routing. You select the hole you want to move with a left-click, and then click the hole number that you want it to be. You don't click the picture, just the hole description (number, distance etc).

I.e. L/C hole 9, right click hole 6. That makes 9 become 6.... 6 becomes 7... 7 becomes 8.

A tip for re-routing is to open a hole when the game on pause, and then go straight into the re-rerouting screen. If you (like me) are trying to quickly add a couple of holes, keep the game paused while you build the basics of the next new hole - that way you can avoid Sims having to travel from one end of the screen to the next to start the next hole.

I haven't put any houses in. I'll do that at the end when I'm happy with the shape of my course. Other utilities (tennis court, cart garage) I've shuffled off into a busy area in the middle on nowhere. I don't believe they add anything to the course itself, so I kept them miles away. Note that the Sims will still use carts, even though the garage is nowhere near the clubhouse.

Bruce
27th October 2009, 01:36 PM
The players actually need to visit the facilities to get the benefits from them. They will stop off halfway through a round to have a practice putt. This slows down their round and they don't get the benefits until later.