PDA

View Full Version : KBS

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 03:22 PM
Do any graphite shafts have the same tip profile as KBS Tour shafts?

Diamana redboard?

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 05:10 PM
So if a soft tip is an active tip, do soft tips = smoothness?

I'm under the impression KBS shafts have a lively/soft tip but i read somewhere before that all the shit shafts have soft tips, or is this just for graphite?

goonie
22nd October 2009, 05:17 PM
a soft butt can also give a shaft a soft feel, PX's have a stiff butt from memory, which might be why a lot of people say they are boardy, feel like a pole or stiff to flex, to others they say they are a solid shaft.

Yes most OEM graphite shafts have soft tips to help the average joe get the ball in the air, and that isn't always a bad thing, but they normally don't have the tolerances of a good aftermarket shaft, and are rarely true to flex, and tip soft doesn't suit all.

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't have any problems getting the ball in the air with the driver, just looking to maximize feel and control, but do they go hand in hand?

When i hit the PX 6.0 the felt like broomsticks, but then i hit some KBS that came out Xflex on the meter, but they felt so much better than the PX, they were still too stiff for me but they didn't feel like xflex.

Optimally i would like a driver that is high launch no loss of distance reg and smooth i'd almost say like swinging a piece of bamboo or a surf fishing rod.

goonie
22nd October 2009, 06:04 PM
I am liking my Mitsubishi Bassara v73, it is a smooth shaft and has a mid flight, they also come in 63 and 83, the 63 will have a slightly higher flight from memory. They are discontinued now but you should still be able to the 63 and 73, they have been described to me as a easier to hit version of the Diamana Blueboard for less than half the price. Try golfnational.com.au i know they still had 73's a week or so ago and they are the importers for Mitsubishi I think.

PeteyD has a secondhand reg from memory.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't have any problems getting the ball in the air with the driver, just looking to maximize feel and control, but do they go hand in hand?

When i hit the PX 6.0 the felt like broomsticks, but then i hit some KBS that came out Xflex on the meter, but they felt so much better than the PX, they were still too stiff for me but they didn't feel like xflex.

Optimally i would like a driver that is high launch no loss of distance reg and smooth i'd almost say like swinging a piece of bamboo or a surf fishing rod.

Zig, just did a bit of checking and as thought the KBS frequencies abnormally high on the meter and most ignore it as a gauge of actual flex.

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:KqXXNzc7cjUJ:www.golfdiscussions.co m/yabbse/index.php%3Ftopic%3D28859.0+kbs+tour+frequency&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 06:23 PM
Some good reading here too, with the company chiming in.

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:Ksm8bhvNHlcJ:www.facebook.com/topic.php%3Fuid%3D88317535940%26topic%3D8646+kbs+t our+frequency&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 06:23 PM
thanx for the link mate, do you have any of the shafts spoken of here?

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 06:24 PM
If these play too stiff you're looking at regular.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 06:29 PM
thanx for the link mate, do you have any of the shafts spoken of here?

Sorry?

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 06:49 PM
Ahhhh we were talking about driver shafts with with livelier tips.

I would have hoped my clubfitter would know they frequency higher?

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 06:54 PM
Ahhhh we were talking about driver shafts with with livelier tips.

I would have hoped my clubfitter would know they frequency higher?

Actually, who is your clubfitter and what tool does he have? The counterbalance and tip composition of the KBS has it freq'ing high. There's some great reading in those threads. Note to the smoothness mentioned that you felt.

I'd be taking more than one day before making decisions, that's for sure.

Have you tried reg before? What is your actual driver SS and transition like?

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 06:57 PM
As for soft tips in drivers, there are myriads and no they are not automatically shyte.

A very cheap experiment would be the Aldila NVS, it's soft tip. The Redboard too for many many more bux. PL Blue, boardy tho. Rombax X, tho not that soft is lively.

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 07:00 PM
I've only had my 5 iron ss checked and i can't remember if it was 77 88 but i'm going to get it done when the new shafts arrive.

I read on the KBS facebook page, posted by KBS that their shafts are not counter balanced.

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 07:01 PM
I started with reg as a young bloke, got down to 8 and went off the rails for a bit, but when i started back i was visiting here and i got sucked into using stiff shafts, somewhere along the lines of maybe i do need stiff shafts.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 07:06 PM
I've only had my 5 iron ss checked and i can't remember if it was 77 88 but i'm going to get it done when the new shafts arrive.

I read on the KBS facebook page, posted by KBS that their shafts are not counter balanced.

I've been told they SW light, which to me yells counterbalance but anyways.

If you got to 8 with reg they can't have fit bad.

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 07:10 PM
Doubt i will get there again now having 2 bubs in the house, another couple of years and the little girl will be ready to come on course :(

But yeah when the clubfitter said they were stiffer than the PX I was blown away because they felt reasonable KBS daylight PX smoooooth like a great grandfather port

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 07:15 PM
Doubt i will get there again now having 2 bubs in the house, another couple of years and the little girl will be ready to come on course :(

But yeah when the clubfitter said they were stiffer than the PX I was blown away because they felt reasonable KBS daylight PX smoooooth like a great grandfather port

The KRS freq higher than PX as you would have read, but are much smoother and play softer for flex.

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 07:16 PM
The KRS freq higher than PX as you would have read, but are much smoother and play softer for flex.

I agree, im a bit excite and nervous about how the regs will go.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like fun hahaha. What are they?

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 07:32 PM
KBS tour reg's :)

Oh and the clubfitter has all the shit i think, weighs all the heads and what ever else they do, he sounds like he knows his shit, but he has been fitting KBS and seemed surprised by the frequencys

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2009, 07:36 PM
You haven't mentioned his name.

Sounds like the regs will be good.

goonie
22nd October 2009, 10:47 PM
CPM's don't mean everything, some sets will vary depending on the shaft design/profile, but CPM freq's are good for matching your set.