PDA

View Full Version : 2010 AFL Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

AndyP
22nd October 2009, 01:24 PM
I think Grant Thomas is a tool of the highest order, but I can't disagree with his opinion on the farcical AFL fixture.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/grant-thomas-says-integrity-forgotten-in-afl-draw/story-e6frf9ix-1225789585122

That's without mentioning the rigging of the draw to ensure that Carlton-Collingwood-Essendon all play each other twice, plus the Showdown/Derby matches.

It's less random than an OZgolf major draw.

just
22nd October 2009, 01:28 PM
Go Swannies!!!! Thought I'd get in early.

Bruce
22nd October 2009, 01:48 PM
It must be October - time for the draw equity articles to come out.

I hate it but I have burned up all my rage in the last decade - I can't get worked up over it this year as much as previous years.

Chris32
22nd October 2009, 02:00 PM
Its true but without having each team play each other twice it all comes down to what the AFL want.

I'm sure Collingwood will top the list of Friday night/home games again

WBennett
22nd October 2009, 02:21 PM
The AFL have never shyed away from their stated goal of maximising attendances.

Showdowns are the only way Port and Freo can ever draw a crowd, so they play twice. 'Controversy' games such as (this year) Richmond and West Coast happen each and every year.

And the big 4 - Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon (and somehow Richmond) all play each other twice. 60,000 at each of those games.

Until each team plays each other twice as a home and away fixture in a 30 round comp, thedraw is never going to be even.

AndyP
22nd October 2009, 02:30 PM
Unless they play each other once, especially when there is 18 teams, but the AFL will never want to miss out on 5 weeks extra cash.

WBennett
22nd October 2009, 02:34 PM
If they play each other once, its still imbalanced - home and away is only the truly balanced way to do it.

markTHEblake
22nd October 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm sure Collingwood will top the list of Friday night/home games again

I know some people like to beleive stuff like that is true, but it is not. If Colliingwood or any of the other 'crowd pulling sides' do not perform they get outed for the next season of prime time games.

OTOH it would have been 2007 that Collingwood played very few Friday night games for that reason.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2009, 08:23 PM
If they play each other once, its still imbalanced - home and away is only the truly balanced way to do it.

Considering half the teams are co-tenants, there's no point. So for that matter, there's no wonder the AFL does what it can to maximise cash. After all, we're supporters of a business, right? :roll:

Let's just be thankful New Ltd don't own half the comp.

markTHEblake
22nd October 2009, 08:29 PM
wait for another 2 years, then there will be 18 teams. They will be whinging even worse then.

Moe Norman
22nd October 2009, 09:18 PM
RIP

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:m5zt4nKtIB4lzM:http://images.4bc.com.au/2008/08/27/191252/Brisbane%2520Lions.jpg

Bruce
22nd October 2009, 09:42 PM
I guess Fitzroy might have done the same thing if they were still around but it is a bit of a shame to see it go.

Carn the Gorillas - or Maroons

ozdevil
22nd October 2009, 09:49 PM
Until each team plays each other twice as a home and away fixture in a 30 round comp, thedraw is never going to be even.

while i agree with you there this is where lies the problem for the afl to extend it to a 30 round comp or 40 round comp if there was 20 teams in etc

The problem is stadiums in where to host these matches

The MCG the Afl can not use it until after the cricket season and the afl must have finished before October due to the cricket...

They will not move the Afl grandfinal from the MCG they need that for the crowd capacity

Sydney cricket ground would be used as well at the start of the Season and end of season with cricket so Afl wouldnt be allowed to be played

Gabba same deal

Even if they got rid of the micky mouse comp before the premiership season they would be struggling to get the venues

but its going come down to each team only playing once when 20 team comp is introduced anyway

Moe Norman
22nd October 2009, 10:11 PM
I guess Fitzroy might have done the same thing if they were still around but it is a bit of a shame to see it go.

Carn the Gorillas - or Maroons

doubt it.

This is an absolute disgrace, an iconic and historical logo changed.

Fitroy fans will be gutted

WBennett
22nd October 2009, 10:11 PM
RIP

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:m5zt4nKtIB4lzM:http://images.4bc.com.au/2008/08/27/191252/Brisbane%2520Lions.jpg

What the? Has Fev trashed the brand that badly already that they are changing the club logo?

AndyP
22nd October 2009, 10:38 PM
Yes, what the? I can't find anything on the news sites about what you are referring to.

Moe Norman
22nd October 2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.lions.com.au/portals/0/images_brisbane_lions/newsletter/newlogo-n5.jpg

http://www.lions.com.au/portals/0/images_brisbane_lions/newsletter/newlogo-n7.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2jdrh45.jpg

markTHEblake
22nd October 2009, 11:20 PM
Yes, what the? I can't find anything on the news sites about what you are referring to.

same here, as usual, what the heck is Moe talking about

i looked at www.afl.com.au, the story is there. Not a bad site too, you should bookmark it.

ozdevil
22nd October 2009, 11:42 PM
this might answer the question of the lions new change

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/86287/default.aspx

Moe Norman
22nd October 2009, 11:42 PM
you blokes are pathetic detectives

a new logo for a new era

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/86287/default.aspx

Michael Bowers is a tool

AndyP
23rd October 2009, 07:11 AM
i looked at www.afl.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au), the story is there. Not a bad site too, you should bookmark it.It's not on their main page, but only on the Lions site. I thought it might be a headline.

The AFL website stinks thanks to Telstra. I visit the Herald Sun and RealFooty pages before going there.
The best club page is Essendon's because they went it alone.

Bruce
23rd October 2009, 07:57 AM
doubt it.

This is an absolute disgrace, an iconic and historical logo changed.

Fitroy fans will be gutted

We had one lady at the nursing home I worked at in High School who hadn't made the switch to the Lions from the Gorillas. She still had a Gorillas scarf and pennant which I imagine would be worth a pretty penny these days. This was in the late '80s and I think they changed to the Lions in the '50s.

At least they have the VAFA D grade side to console them now....

Moe Norman
23rd October 2009, 08:21 AM
there could be legal proceedings with this one.

Article 7.2 from the merger agreement:

c) The logo of the merged club will be the Fitzroy lion logo in perpetuity;

Perpetuity can be defined as "Time without end; eternity."

Chris32
23rd October 2009, 09:38 AM
That new logo is shameful!

Pieface
23rd October 2009, 01:26 PM
Gak! That logo is a shocker :shock:

3oneday
23rd October 2009, 01:31 PM
Yep, terrible news.

mike
23rd October 2009, 02:22 PM
That does look pretty tacky.

bag_of_ants
23rd October 2009, 04:06 PM
lions fans are not happy at all over on bigfooty

Minor_Threat
23rd October 2009, 05:41 PM
Yep very ordinary indeed..

**** I am happy / glad the Dogs didnt fold all those years ago!

markTHEblake
25th October 2009, 06:08 PM
Real footy clubs don't change their logo's or jumpers.

WBennett
25th October 2009, 06:16 PM
MTB

Collingwood changed our jumper for the 09 season....

Moe Norman
25th October 2009, 07:29 PM
still black & white stripes though mate

markTHEblake
25th October 2009, 08:44 PM
Black and White stripes for 120 years. We aint selling out our heritage :-)

Admittedly Carlton had to whore themselves out, they were almost broke. Then again, so were we in 86ish to the tune of $4M and not too flash before era-eddie, and we still didnt.

AndyP
25th October 2009, 08:47 PM
Make up your mind. Is it same jumper? Or same colours and pattern?

WBennett
25th October 2009, 08:56 PM
The collar changed and the side panel changed for the 09 season - both for the worse.

You can't go calling a jumper sacrosanct then toy around with it to increase sales for your merchandise supplier.

ps - Every club should have a home and away jumper. If its good enough for Man U, Real Madrid, Inter etc, its good enough for Collingwood.

markTHEblake
25th October 2009, 08:57 PM
AP, you know exactly what i am saying. :-)

ps - Every club should have a home and away jumper. If its good enough for Man U, Real Madrid, Inter etc, its good enough for Collingwood.

Collingwood does have an away jumper - and it is significantly different to the home one, and there are no clashes.
An away jumper does not have to be Vision golf ball yellow.

BrisWesty
26th October 2009, 02:00 PM
Heck, Brisbane might as well have brought back their killer koala if they were coming up with a new logo/mascot.
Poor form, gentlemen.
Blakey, if they made away jumpers from the vision yellow material, it would be pretty slippery to tackle wouldn't it?

Moe Norman
26th October 2009, 07:59 PM
The collar changed and the side panel changed for the 09 season - both for the worse.
it's blakc & white stripes, just a new material and new product to print our stripes on

You can't go calling a jumper sacrosanct then toy around with it to increase sales for your merchandise supplier. It's black and white stripes, now on a new product. Like a gold wallabies jersey is vastly different from what they wore in 84 with technology and now being skin tight, but its still gold.

ps - Every club should have a home and away jumper. If its good enough for Man U, Real Madrid, Inter etc, its good enough for Collingwood. We have an away jumper, and those are bad examples you have used. Advertising billboards, not club jumpers.

WBennett
26th October 2009, 08:55 PM
Thommo

https://console.clubsonline.com.au/shopproducts/images/thumbnail/leon%28180%29.jpg

I can compare this jumper to the 4 other Collingwood jumpers I own. Each of these differ only in the sponsorship/manufacturer. Two are white on black, two are black on white.

The 09 jumper had a stupid neck piec for wiping snot on, and the bottom of the jumper had the stripes tapering in. Each was a variation on what Eddie had called sacred. You can't go calling out all and sundry about your traidtional jumper, then go and whore off aspects of your 'tradition' for $.

Don't get me started on the Wallaby jumper. Its a complete f**king disgrace. The 84 Wallaby jumper is a Wallaby jumper. The crap they have worn for the last decade or so have been very poor representations. Do you see the All Blacks or Springboks making wholesale changes to their tops every second season?

markTHEblake
26th October 2009, 09:02 PM
You cant be serious?

changing the collar is not whoring off tradition. Black and White stripes is unchanged for 120 years. Who cares if the thickness of stripes has varied.

Thats nothing compared to PA, Freo, Westcoast - I couldnt even tell you what their jumpers looked like, and lets not even mention the M&M Blues.

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:08 PM
Collingwood are ghey.

WBennett
26th October 2009, 09:14 PM
MTB

I am serious. The 09 jumper redesign pissed me off. You can't go calling 'tradition tradition' then screw around with the design every year or two, even if its tinkering at the edges.

The blow in clubs such as West Coast, Freo etc have no tradition, but don't claim to be bigger than the game either.

ps - Yossie is ghey

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:17 PM
3 premierships since 1987 for the eagles how many have the pies got ;) Maybe the jumper does need some changes...

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:33 PM
AHHHHHHHH Collingwood we love to be hated!!!!!!

who cares about Wet toasts premierships they will be forever tainted.

If everyone let aside we hate Collingwood, We are a proud club, we have a massive supporter base, everyone bitches about losing cash on some pubs, but they still go to the games, We get the biggest crowd avgs every year.

We are innovators, who other than Eddie could have got Malthouse to agree to when his time will be over, wether he wins a premiership or not.

Half you blokes are just upset you were brainwashed as youngsters and didn't have the chance to barrack for the mighty pies.

Everyone bags Eddie, deep down inside you wish your president had what Eddie has.

:):):)

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:35 PM
3 premierships since 1987 for the eagles how many have the pies got ;) Maybe the jumper does need some changes...

Lets see how many premierships you have after 100 years, then, we can talk :mrgreen:

zacdullard
26th October 2009, 09:39 PM
We are innovators, who other than Eddie could have got Malthouse to agree to when his time will be over, wether he wins a premiership or not.

Half you blokes are just upset you were brainwashed as youngsters and didn't have the chance to barrack for the mighty pies.

Everyone bags Eddie, deep down inside you wish your president had what Eddie has.

:):):)
Zig I thougt you were giving up alcohol?

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:40 PM
How are all WCE premierships tainted? 1992 and 1994 as well?

Lets see how many premierships Collingwood win travelling every second week. That is not a bitch about the fixtures, there is no other way they could work. But travel makes those eagles premierships all the tougher IMO.

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:41 PM
What? You thought i was always drunk when i was on here? :) Don't believe the hype young fella :)

zacdullard
26th October 2009, 09:43 PM
Other teams have to travel over to Perth so the eagles play a team who have traveled a great distance every home game almost. This evens it out doesn't it?

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:44 PM
No because those teams only do it once a year. The eagles in the 90's travelled every second week. Obviously the melbourne teams do not have to do this.

zacdullard
I assumed that you were drunk when you said that we were brainwashed into being anti-collingwood. I always thought that you had to be brain washed to like collingwood.

Moe Norman
Thommo

Don't get me started on the Wallaby jumper. Its a complete f**king disgrace. The 84 Wallaby jumper is a Wallaby jumper. The crap they have worn for the last decade or so have been very poor representations. Do you see the All Blacks or Springboks making wholesale changes to their tops every second season?

Actually, the All Blacks jumper and Springbok jumpers are also now very different, by your definition. If you think that Collingwood jumper, with black and white stripes, is so different to our other jumpers, with black and white stripes - then you need to check the current model AB and SB jumper compared to their 87 and 95 World Cup winning jumpers respectively.

you are seriously delusional

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:45 PM
How are all WCE premierships tainted? 1992 and 1994 as well?

Lets see how many premierships Collingwood win travelling every second week. That is not a bitch about the fixtures, there is no other way they could work. But travel makes those eagles premierships all the tougher IMO.

Collingwood has a pretty good on the road record. probably better than wet toast lately.

How do you think all that stuff got past Woosha?

zacdullard
26th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Then the eagle would be somewhat use to the traveling. For the victorian clubs it would be being taken out of their usual comfort zone.

Who knows though, I guess I will have to wait till I get drafted to find out;)

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Collingwood has a pretty good on the road record. probably better than wet toast lately.

How do you think all that stuff got past Woosha?

You count one game a season as a "on the road" record?

We can go into all the drug shit zigwah if you really want but its not worth it.

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:48 PM
Then the eagle would be somewhat use to the traveling. For the victorian clubs it would be being taken out of their usual comfort zone.

Who knows though, I guess I will have to wait till I get drafted to find out;)

You don't get used to the travel from all reports.

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:48 PM
I assumed that you were drunk when you said that we were brainwashed into being anti-collingwood. I always thought that you had to be brain washed to like collingwood.

I love the Collingwood Football Club and will continue to love them till the day i die, that can't be said for all the current clubs

markTHEblake
26th October 2009, 09:49 PM
No because those teams only do it once a year. The eagles in the 90's travelled every second week..

fair enough.

The eagles get 10 home ground advantages every year, the Melbourne teams get 3 or 4.

So whoopie doo dah - it evens up.

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:50 PM
fair enough.

The eagles get 10 home ground advantages every year, the Melbourne teams get 3 or 4.

So whoopie doo dah.

Bullshit every game a melbourne team plays in melbourne is a home game. Except when Collingwood is playing because then all your bogan fans buy all the tickets. :wink:

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:50 PM
You count one game a season as a "on the road" record?

We can go into all the drug shit zigwah if you really want but its not worth it.

One game a season lol, i don't really want to

zacdullard
26th October 2009, 09:52 PM
Except when Collingwood is playing because then all your bogan fans buy all the tickets. :wink:
I thought most of their fans got free tickets when they picked up their weekly check from Centerlink.

markTHEblake
26th October 2009, 09:55 PM

I typed that slowly because I know you cant read fast, but you still stuffed it up.

Bullshit every game a melbourne team plays in melbourne is a home game.

I never said it wasnt a home game. Read it again - obviously there is NO home ground ADVANTAGE when both teams are playing at home.

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 09:57 PM
Semantics. I care not for them. I am not sure that the advantage equals out the travel. But meh. Collingwood are grubs.

zigwah
26th October 2009, 09:58 PM
GAME OVER

markTHEblake
26th October 2009, 09:59 PM
Semantics. I care not for them.

You cant fool anyone with that line, you screwed up and you know it.

West Coast had a massive advantage over teams travelling accross the country once a year to play them. Obviously your mob figured out how to deal with the effects quickly, its taken the rest of the league about 20 years to figure it out.

AndyP
26th October 2009, 11:16 PM
Zig, you are from an age where you think everyone is against Collingwood because of their great success. Let me tell you that their success is pretty non-existent these days. I have no huge bias against Collingwood like some people do. Maybe it's a Melbourne thing, but they are not my most hated team.

It's the arrogance of thinking that they are so great and that the world is against them, that is so annoying.

Yossarian
26th October 2009, 11:44 PM
You cant fool anyone with that line, you screwed up and you know it.

West Coast had a massive advantage over teams travelling accross the country once a year to play them. Obviously your mob figured out how to deal with the effects quickly, its taken the rest of the league about 20 years to figure it out.

Guilty as charged. Happy now? :wink:

markTHEblake
27th October 2009, 12:27 AM
It's the arrogance of thinking that they are so great and that the world is against them, that is so annoying.

Its a truth claim, there is nothing arrogant about that bit at all, Collingwood is simply the greatest footy club in the land.

Yossarian, It would have been more fun if you dragged it on but more, but the old travelling issue is a dinosaur now. I dunno what everyone has done to cope though, would be interesting to find out. I could then apply that to long road trips for golf, like one hour drives away

Bruce
27th October 2009, 07:51 AM
Its a truth claim, there is nothing arrogant about that bit at all, Collingwood is simply the greatest footy club in the land.

Well played sir!

There was a time when "Magpie Chief Lashes Out" was a regular back page headline. Back in the days of MacAllister and (the other one). Eddie has been well and truly eclipsed by Jeff on that score now.

AndyP
27th October 2009, 07:58 AM
What makes a club the greatest then? Not premierships obviously.

zigwah
27th October 2009, 08:26 AM
It's the vibe of the thing :) the whole package. One of the greatest things i have ever felt is the roar when the pies win with a crowd of 60+ thousand it's a beautiful thing, that the Pies Do on a semi regular Basis.

We may have 1 premiership in 50 years, but if that happens at other clubs the fans turn away, we have had lean years before, and will have them again but historically we are winners, we love to win and hate to lose passionately.

Sydney Hacker
27th October 2009, 08:47 AM
So when you say "historically we are winners" you are speaking about ancient history ? Because I am sure you said earlier you had only won 1 flag in 50 years...

Moe Norman
27th October 2009, 08:55 AM
What makes a club the greatest then? Not premierships obviously.

enjoyment for the fans, a club that has won more games than any other, played in 77 finals series and 40 grand finals. Sure there is sadness when we lose grand finals - but those sort of numbers generate more enjoyment for fans than any other, and the fact that we refused to sell out when buying premierships was the rage in the 70's and 80's and by the time we caught on it was too late!

greatest club on earth.

Pieface
27th October 2009, 03:37 PM
Until you see a grannie spit on someone you haven't lived! Carn the Pies :wink::lol:

Teams that keep their fans have a few things in common IMO

They are hard at the ball
They stick up for each other in a stoush
They don't throw in the towel even when they are copping a hiding

It's tribal stuff like that that gets you through the lean times success wise.

As a dedicated West Coast fan it's a shame I can't say my team has always flown the flag in this way.

markTHEblake
27th October 2009, 06:29 PM
What makes a club the greatest then?
the fact that despite everyone supposedly hates them, they are still the most talked about club in the land.

Take this thread for example, how much of it is just about Collingwood.

Minor_Threat
27th October 2009, 07:04 PM
I dont give a **** about Collingwood!

There is nothing more enjoyable then beating them or watching someone else beat them! The arrogance they have is astounding considering they have 1 premiership in the last 50 years.. That stat will read 1 from 51 after 2010 also.

zigwah
27th October 2009, 07:11 PM
How many premierships have the bullies won again?

Yossarian
27th October 2009, 07:14 PM
So it is about the premierships now zig? ;)

Minor_Threat
27th October 2009, 07:16 PM
How many premierships have the bullies won again?One mate (1954).. Thats one less than "The Scum" in the last 55 years.

kingslayer33
30th October 2009, 01:54 PM
See below for 2010 draw in excel format.

Better version than poxy Telstra AFL website I reckon.

http://www.theage.com.au/ed_docs/2010-AFL-fixture.xls

AndyP
30th October 2009, 02:21 PM
No Hawks in Brisbane for the second year in a row. :( And that's after I had seen them for 15 consecutive season at the Gabba.

There is definitely a Melbourne Trip on the cards now. I won't be able to handle not seeing them live two years in a row.
The Collingwood (MCG), North (Tassie), Essendscum (MCG) trifecta looks very juicy.

markTHEblake
26th November 2009, 11:54 PM
Interesting draft today.

Luke Ball wanted out of Stkilda in trade week, Collingwood offered Pick 25, and then Pick 30 and Tyson Goldsack, and St Kilda refused.

So Ball enters the draft, and puts a $1M 2year price on himself, and Collingwood picks him up with Pick 30. and St Kilda got nothing for a 25yo!

Thats got to be the highest pick a high profile player has ever gone for I think. Most clubs couldnt afford him though, and the rest opted for youth.

So Collingwood despite having no early picks, get Luke Ball and Darren Jolly, no major losses through retirements this year or even the next 2, and a young list so well placed for the next few years.

Surprised Cameron Cloke was let go by Carlton and nobody grabbed him. I always thought he was good enough.

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 08:50 PM
high profile players until this year never opted to go in the draft and always went in the Pre-season draft.

Mainly because until this year, you weren't able to nominate contract terms dspite being an existing player

Minor_Threat
27th November 2009, 09:06 PM
I wouldnt class Ball as a high profile player..

kingslayer33
27th November 2009, 09:11 PM

$1M over 2 years probably puts him close to the high profile set.

Plus the amount of column inches this matter has had.

Then add in the fact he is now going to play with Eddie's mob and you can guarantee if he wasn't high profile before he soon will be ...

Minor_Threat
27th November 2009, 09:14 PM

Then add in the fact he is now going to play with Eddie's mob and you can guarantee if he wasn't high profile before he soon will be ...Rocca was on similar money, was he high profile?

I think Ball is very highly overrated and won't cause too many headaches for sides next year!

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 09:19 PM

He was drafted #2 in the best draft of all time. He was All-Australian at the age of 21 and Best & Fairest for a Top 4 Club in the same year, he was made captain of a top side at the age of 23.

I'd say he had a reasonable profile

Then add in the fact he is now going to play with Eddie's mob and you can guarantee if he wasn't high profile before he soon will be ...

He will sign a 3 year deal, and it will more like average out to $1.2m deal over 3 years, with AFL rules resulting in him getting $1m in the first 2.

kingslayer33
27th November 2009, 09:52 PM
Rocca was on similar money, was he high profile?

It wasn't just the wage demands that made Ball high profile. And besides Rocca only had a profile at all because of his team. Talk about overrated.

I think Ball is very highly overrated and won't cause too many headaches for sides next year!

I reckon Ball may struggle too. Pretty average disposal and lack of pace a concern and why would the Saints have been quite happy to see the back of him. I reckon they were worried about something.

He will sign a 3 year deal, and it will more like average out to $1.2m deal over 3 years, with AFL rules resulting in him getting $1m in the first 2.

Are you saying the AFL rules in this case were not a good thing Moe? And the pies should now not have to pay him the amount he nominated to scare other clubs off? ;)

markTHEblake
28th November 2009, 01:11 AM
Mainly because until this year, you weren't able to nominate contract terms dspite being an existing player

umm, i thought that was always the case? or was that only in the other draft?

Moe Norman
28th November 2009, 12:17 PM
It wasn't just the wage demands that made Ball high profile. And besides Rocca only had a profile at all because of his team. Talk about overrated.

Yeah, and probably because he consistently lead the competition in contested marks, was the best forward on the ground in 3 finals in a row in 2002 including kicking 4 on the AA CHB in the Grand Final (arguably 5)

I reckon Ball may struggle too. Pretty average disposal and lack of pace a concern and why would the Saints have been quite happy to see the back of him. I reckon they were worried about something.

You think that do you? So why did they offer him a 3 year deal in June and only take it off the table after he requested the trade?

Why did he get 26 disposals in the Grand Final despite playing only 45% game time?

Are you saying the AFL rules in this case were not a good thing Moe? And the pies should now not have to pay him the amount he nominated to scare other clubs off? ;)

Not at all, the rules state he must sign a 2 year deal if he enters the draft, thus we must pay him $500k per year for those 2 years. However, there is nothing to then stop us from paying him peanuts in the third year to average it out to a $350k deal, which is likely in this case.

umm, i thought that was always the case? or was that only in the other draft?

Nope could only do it in the PSD previously

Minor_Threat
29th November 2009, 04:52 PM
You think that do you? So why did they offer him a 3 year deal in June and only take it off the table after he requested the trade?

Why did he get 26 disposals in the Grand Final despite playing only 45% game time?Moe..
You know disposals means **** all these days!

Moe Norman
29th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Not when you're Luke Ball and they almost are always contested and you get 26 of them in half a game

Minor_Threat
29th November 2009, 05:58 PM
Not when you're Luke Ball and they almost are always contested and you get 26 of them in half a gameI saw the '09 GF myself mate.. His possies made very little impact!

AndyP
29th November 2009, 06:42 PM
Luke Hodge >> Luke Ball
Chris Judd >> Luke Ball

;)

Moe Norman
29th November 2009, 08:26 PM
I can probably name another 400 listed AFL players that < Judd and/or Hodge

AndyP
29th November 2009, 08:30 PM
I used two '>', plus I was just being a smart-arse with the constant comparisons the three players have had. There's no need to call me up on it.

I think St Kilda were stupid to screw around with Luke Ball. Although so far in his career he has had plenty of injuries, he has to come good. Collingwood will now benefit from that.

Is he worth pick 30 or whatever it was? Absolutely.

LarryLong
29th November 2009, 08:58 PM
There's no guarantee that he'll come good, but I think Collingwood would be happy to pick up Ball with pick 30

Moe Norman
29th November 2009, 09:46 PM
He wasn't injured at all this year, he was dropped.

They have Lenny Hayes, so you can understand him being the 2nd choice as the grunt man in the packs. We unfrotunately don't have Lenny Hayes, so we need a proven ball winning inside midfielder, and we got one with Pick 30. Massive win for us, as that is exactly what we need.

LarryLong
30th November 2009, 07:53 AM
He didn't miss a game through injury, but that's not to say that he was 100% fit.

Anyway, that's all semantics and I agree with you. Ball will slot in nicely at Collingwood.

zigwah
30th November 2009, 08:14 AM
I think he will, maybe he can teach some of our young players to get the in and unders and show some courage over the ball.

AndyP
10th December 2009, 04:47 PM
The fixture builder that I listed for last season is available for 2010.

http://www.thismonkey.com/cgi-bin/football-fixture.pl?start=2010&end=2010&type=ha&code=afl

Minor_Threat
10th December 2009, 05:50 PM
Cheers Andy..

It was great for this year!

zacdullard
4th February 2010, 08:52 AM
Stokes is in a bit of trouble. (http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1007530)

Also the Brisbane lions are coming to my school today.

Minor_Threat
4th February 2010, 09:10 AM
Stokes is in a bit of trouble. (http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1007530)

Also the Brisbane lions are coming to my school today.Tell Fev he is a flogger and Big Bad Baz will kick more than him this year! ;)

zacdullard
4th February 2010, 03:48 PM
Fev isn't here but Brown and 5 others are. Brown is HUGE!

AndyP
4th February 2010, 04:14 PM
Did you shower with the boys? I reckon Buddy would be longer.

AndyP
4th February 2010, 04:36 PM
Fevola went to Cooroy.

zacdullard
4th February 2010, 11:00 PM
thWqNof5nXA&feature=related
Warning - course language.
Warning - a serious bogan.

AndyP
13th February 2010, 10:11 PM
Good last quarter by the Tigers.........

I miss Plough Wallet.

Yossarian
13th February 2010, 10:16 PM
How good are the eagles! NAB cup counts for so much!

Minor_Threat
13th February 2010, 10:19 PM
Love the 3 Qtr speech Zac..

Tiges were decent in the last Qtr, Hawks had no need to try to hard however, so it is hard to tell how good the Tiges really went.

Getting Foxtel this Wednesday, bring on the AFL.

zacdullard
13th February 2010, 10:49 PM
I'm angry that I missed it as I didn't think that stupid old Qld would show it. Does anyone know if Taylor Duyrea played for the Hawks?

LarryLong
14th February 2010, 10:10 AM
Good last quarter by the Tigers.........

I miss Plough Wallet.

Me too, at least we had somebody to blame.

I reckon Hardwick is a plant. Clarko is playing his latest dirty trick by sending double agents out to coach other clubs into playing shit games against Hawthorn. :)

I think the "ignore downhill skiing midfielders until after they get the ball" part of Hardwick's new game plan is a stroke of genius.

AndyP
14th February 2010, 10:14 AM
It was live on One Digital and I didn't know until half time. Thanks for omitting that from your broadcoast schedule, AFL. I was relying on an hour delay on justin.tv until then.

Duyrea wasn't listed (http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/tabid/11442/Default.aspx?seasonid=74&roundid=766&fixtureid=5421&display=3) in the team, Zac.

MT, I didn't even bother watching much of the last quarter. The game was well and truly won and there's no point pushing too hard in a pre-season game.

Minor_Threat
14th February 2010, 10:27 AM
MT, I didn't even bother watching much of the last quarter. The game was well and truly won and there's no point pushing too hard in a pre-season game.Of course, totally agree mate. I was just saying I wouldn't rate Richmonds last Qtr performance due to the circumstances.

WBennett
14th February 2010, 10:31 AM
Whatever happens at Manuka today, dn't take anything out of it.

Its rained for 24 hours solid and will be a slog, with the centre pitch being an absolute mud pit. Could be comical at centre bounces

Minor_Threat
14th February 2010, 10:37 AM

Its rained for 24 hours solid and will be a slog, with the centre pitch being an absolute mud pit. Could be comical at centre bouncesI was sooo close to making the trip down..

I only use the NAB Cup as a method for choosing cheap Dream Team players, results don't worry me.

Hamo84
14th February 2010, 09:14 PM
I know it is early days but after the turmoil and the crap that has happened this week with Pt adelaide I was delighted tht we won a game. A win against the crows is always a good thing. Regardless of when, where etc.

Hamo84
14th February 2010, 09:16 PM

Its rained for 24 hours solid and will be a slog, with the centre pitch being an absolute mud pit. Could be comical at centre bounces

too much water on the surface for there to be mud Benno. Reminded me of a game in the local league over here (SANFL) with Norwood vs Port Adelaide and the ground was under half a foot of water in some spots.... most atrocious conditions i have ever seen... I know cos i landed on my arse during the kick to kick at 3/4 time.... in front of the norwood grandstand.... needless to say i copped it.... :oops::oops::oops::oops:

zacdullard
28th February 2010, 07:31 PM
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!

Minor_Threat
28th February 2010, 07:37 PM
Kennel looking good early on..

Bad luck Zac, it was a great game to watch as a neutral though!

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 07:50 PM
Kennel looking good early on..

Bad luck Zac, it was a great game to watch as a neutral though!

Big bad Barry looking very good!!! If he stays clean I'm tipping the Doggies to win their first premiership since 1954!!!

There you go Minor, I've put the jinx on the Dogs and Barry Hall before the season even starts!!!

You're screwed!!!:mrgreen:

Minor_Threat
28th February 2010, 07:56 PM
Big bad Barry looking very good!!! If he stays clean I'm tipping the Doggies to win their first premiership since 1954!!!

There you go Minor, I've put the jinx on the Dogs and Barry Hall before the season even starts!!!

You're screwed!!!:mrgreen:Who are you? :roll:

It's going to take more than your thoughts to sidetrack the Bullies mate!

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Who are you? :roll:

It's going to take more than your thoughts to sidetrack the Bullies mate!

True!!! I'm tipping them this year... I think you've finally got the team to do it... But I think you only have a 1 year window, this is the year!!!8-)

Minor_Threat
28th February 2010, 08:05 PM
True!!! I'm tipping them this year... I think you've finally got the team to do it... But I think you only have a 1 year window, this is the year!!!8-)I don't believe in the 'window' bullshit. If you know much about the dogs, you would know we have a very balanced side!

Still early days, but I like the intesity and skill level of the boys this early on. It is already at a very high level.

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 08:20 PM
I don't believe in the 'window' bullshit. If you know much about the dogs, you would know we have a very balanced side!

Still early days, but I like the intesity and skill level of the boys this early on. It is already at a very high level.

Go back over the last 20 years...

Why do you think Brisbane recruited like they did??? To get them back into the "Window"!!!

Minor_Threat
28th February 2010, 09:21 PM
Go back over the last 20 years...

Why do you think Brisbane recruited like they did??? To get them back into the "Window"!!!So you trying to tell me Brissy and Geelong have had 6-7 year windows mate?

Crap..

AndyP
28th February 2010, 09:26 PM
What does it mean when you win one when you aren't inside your "window"?

WBennett
28th February 2010, 09:30 PM
Brisbane recruited the way they did to maintain support short term, with the impending Gold Coast entry.

They can't win a flag with their list, but should play finals in 2010.

LarryLong
28th February 2010, 09:31 PM
What does it mean when you win one when you aren't inside your "window"?

Arse.

In other news, Richmond knocked off Geelong in a practice match yesterday.

You're only as good as your last game. :mrgreen:

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 09:33 PM
Arse.

In other news, Richmond knocked off Geelong in a practice match yesterday.

You're only as good as your last game. :mrgreen:

Like that's going to happen during the regular season!!!

Geelong had to change across the road at the CFA in Yea!!!:lol:

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 09:37 PM
So you trying to tell me Brissy and Geelong have had 6-7 year windows mate?

Crap..

First of all, I'm not your mate (yet), and second of all the teams that have won Premierships in the last 20 years (barr a few jagging it like Hawthorn in 2008 ) have been in a window!!! IMHO.

LarryLong
28th February 2010, 09:37 PM
I can't claim to predict the future, so I'm happy with the present.

Yea CFA isn't all that different to Kardinia Park if you ignore the fact that it was probably 20 degrees warmer, not raining, and not blowing a gale at the time.

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 09:40 PM
I can't claim to predict the future, so I'm happy with the present.

Yea CFA isn't all that different to Kardinia Park if you ignore the fact that it was probably 20 degrees warmer, not raining, and not blowing a gale at the time.

Good call!!!:smt038

Minor_Threat
28th February 2010, 09:49 PM
First of all, I'm not your mate (yet), and second of all the teams that have won Premierships in the last 20 years (barr a few jagging it like Hawthorn in 2008 ) have been in a window!!! IMHO.And I'm saying both Geelong and Brisbane are / were at the top for 6-7 years, that is far too long to be a window..

I call everyone mate, so relax!

AndyP
28th February 2010, 09:50 PM
Please define the "window", bud.

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 10:06 PM
I think teams have a "Window" of about 5 years or less where they can win a premiership or 2 depending on injuries, recruiting and re-building etc.

Some teams like Brisbane and Geelong have superior lists which kept them up top for longer.

Sydney, for example have tried to keep themselves in the window longer by recruiting mature players (which is what Brisbane have done this year), where Essendon have re-built and are looking for their window to open in a couple of years...

That is my point!

And Minor, It's ok, that's why I said "Yet"!!!

markTHEblake
28th February 2010, 10:34 PM
Iget it, Carlton also had a window of about 5 years too recently.

fatbastard
28th February 2010, 10:39 PM
Iget it, Carlton also had a window of about 5 years too recently.

:shock:

markTHEblake
28th February 2010, 11:01 PM
I said a window not premiership window.

f00re
28th February 2010, 11:23 PM
I can see where you are coming from Fat Bastard.

You could say that perhaps Melbourne will have a window in 2015-2020 when their young stars are in there prime between 24-28.
Same goes for WCE and North.

fatbastard
2nd March 2010, 10:44 PM
Yep, depends on injuries, draft pics, trades etc...

The current window is Geelong, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Collingwood, Bulldogs...

The next window might be Carlton, Brisbane, Sydney, Essendon etc...

Just an opinion by a fat bastard who loves his sports!!!:lol:

AndyP
2nd March 2010, 10:47 PM
And in the next window is Big Ted.

jaybam
2nd March 2010, 10:50 PM
and a chair as well :)

zacdullard
2nd March 2010, 11:28 PM
people with games.

tg01
3rd March 2010, 07:53 AM
Yep, depends on injuries, draft pics, trades etc...

The current window is Geelong, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Collingwood, Bulldogs...

The next window might be Carlton, Brisbane, Sydney, Essendon etc...

Just an opinion by a fat bastard who loves his sports!!!:lol:

This is Brisbanes windown no, that's why Voss recruited as many sesonsed footballers as he could, to maximise the time left with Brown and Black.

Their window begins to close in 2 years.

fatbastard
3rd March 2010, 10:21 AM
This is Brisbanes windown no, that's why Voss recruited as many sesonsed footballers as he could, to maximise the time left with Brown and Black.

Their window begins to close in 2 years.

Yeh good point... Hate their new lion!!!:smt078

AndyP
12th March 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm off to see the Hawks in a praccy game on the Gold Coast this arvo. I'm expecting a loss with Brisbane playing almost full strength, but it will be good to see the Hawks in Qld for the only time over two years.

ddasey
12th March 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm off to see the Hawks in a praccy game on the Gold Coast this arvo. I'm expecting a loss with Brisbane playing almost full strength, but it will be good to see the Hawks in Qld for the only time over two years.

Enjoy Andy. I didn't realise this was on the coast or I would have made an effort to head down.

Fingers crossed the weather holds off for you.

markTHEblake
13th March 2010, 10:07 PM
where did they play? Carrara stadium has been demolished.

AndyP
13th March 2010, 10:11 PM
where did they play? Carrara stadium has been demolished.Southport's home ground at Fankhauser Reserve. It looked like a good playing surface, but it's a shame that the wind ruined the spectacle.

LarryLong
14th March 2010, 09:16 AM
Southport's home ground at Fankhauser Reserve. It looked like a good playing surface, but it's a shame that the wind ruined the spectacle.

Shane Crawford's hairstyle?

Oh, hang on, he's not playing anymore? Who else has poofy hair at Hawthorn these days now that Chance Bateman has had the chop?

Who won Andy?

AndyP
14th March 2010, 09:19 AM
The Lions by 11, but I left when they were up by 4 goals. I don't usually leave early from games, but it was only a practice game and I didn't get to watch too much as I had the 6 and 3 year old with me.

Minor_Threat
14th March 2010, 12:31 PM
The Dogs looked good last night in there NAB Cup win. Hopefully Mitch Hahn wont be out too long with a fractured cheek bone? Even though it is Pre-Season, it is nice to win something for a change as a Doggies member...

markTHEblake
14th March 2010, 05:37 PM
Southport's home ground at Fankhauser Reserve.

you had me googling to find out where the heck that was. Then i realised you just meant Southport Sharks

fatbastard
16th March 2010, 11:23 AM
The Dogs looked good last night in there NAB Cup win. Hopefully Mitch Hahn wont be out too long with a fractured cheek bone? Even though it is Pre-Season, it is nice to win something for a change as a Doggies member...

If Hall stays clean I'm tipping you guys to win the big one!!!

Yossarian
16th March 2010, 02:18 PM
I think the dogs lack a bit of depth, obviously everyone does to an extent, but I think injury to key players hurts them a lot more than say Geelong.

AndyP
16th March 2010, 02:19 PM
I think the dogs lack a bit of depth, obviously everyone does to an extent, but I think injury to key players hurts them a lot more than say Geelong.If you remain relatively injury free, you don't need depth. See 2008 as an example.

Minor_Threat
16th March 2010, 03:00 PM
I think the dogs lack a bit of depth, obviously everyone does to an extent, but I think injury to key players hurts them a lot more than say Geelong.You have just shown you have no idea about the Dogs Yoss.. We have about 26 very competent players vying for 22 spots at the moment!

Depth is not our problem..

Yossarian
16th March 2010, 03:05 PM
You say so.

Minor_Threat
16th March 2010, 07:15 PM
You say so.I do..

BrisWesty
16th March 2010, 07:31 PM
I'd agree with Minor Threat. This year the Doggies are far more than a Minor Threat.

Moe Norman
16th March 2010, 07:34 PM
I think the dogs lack a bit of depth, obviously everyone does to an extent, but I think injury to key players hurts them a lot more than say Geelong.

Really? Cause clubs were falling over themselves last year to offer a first round pick for blokes like Everitt who isn't even in their best 22. I'd say their depth is exceptional, moreso than say, Geelong.

AndyP
17th March 2010, 08:21 PM
I've sent a PM to Haysey to see if he wants to be a ruckman for the Hawks. This is getting ridiculous.

Minor_Threat
17th March 2010, 08:47 PM
I've sent a PM to Haysey to see if he wants to be a ruckman for the Hawks. This is getting ridiculous.Looks like you might be starting with Wayde Skipper! lmfao

Yossarian
17th March 2010, 08:49 PM
Really? Cause clubs were falling over themselves last year to offer a first round pick for blokes like Everitt who isn't even in their best 22. I'd say their depth is exceptional, moreso than say, Geelong.

Apologies having read my post back I probably worded it a bit strongly. I am no expert on the dogs list, is Everitt that good? It was just how I percieved it last year and given how long I have played and coached at an AFL level my opinion means a lot. :)

AndyP
17th March 2010, 08:58 PM
Looks like you might be starting with Wayde Skipper! lmfaoSkipper is out until rounds 6-8. He was going to be a great buy for a Dream Team.

It's Renouf and then um, er, some other tall dude. We might have to use Roughead.

Yossarian
17th March 2010, 08:59 PM
Isn't roughead out as well? Knee or somesuch?

Minor_Threat
17th March 2010, 09:04 PM
Skipper is out until rounds 6-8. He was going to be a great buy for a Dream Team.

It's Renouf and then um, er, some other tall dude. We might have to use Roughead.Oops I just read that on the AFL site, I wouldn't have placed to much faith in him anyway.. He is too short to be an AFL ruckman.

Looks like you guys will be putting your faith into Renouf, with maybe Roughie or even buddy having shorts stints in the Ruck?

AndyP
17th March 2010, 09:08 PM
Ruckman are overrated, but they still do a job, and it would be nice to have someone tallish out there.

Yoss, I don't know of a Roughead injury, except for a precaution that was taken during the preseason game.

ddasey
28th March 2010, 04:52 PM
Go the Pies.

Looked good in patches today, promising signs for the rest of the season though. Good win without Cloke having any real influence.

Down side, Darren Jolly was disappointing. How good is Dane Swan ???

Minor_Threat
28th March 2010, 04:56 PM
Pies played great...

Dogs on the other hand should have told Johnson to wait another week and overlooked Moles and Ward.. Stupid!

More ticker required by the Kennel next week!

ddasey
28th March 2010, 04:59 PM
Over the moon the Pies won but the Dog's showed sings they are going to be a good side this year.

I agree Johnson looked underdone and probably should have waited another week.

On a side note, how good were the Pies :mrgreen:

Minor_Threat
28th March 2010, 05:04 PM
Over the moon the Pies won but the Dog's showed sings they are going to be a good side this year.

I agree Johnson looked underdone and probably should have waited another week.

On a side note, how good were the Pies :mrgreen:I said they played great.. Long way to go though mate.. ;)

Moe Norman
28th March 2010, 05:54 PM
I would put those Pies in the freezer for a while before taking a bite

AndyP
28th March 2010, 06:35 PM
Look at the ladder! ;)

gazgolf1
28th March 2010, 08:57 PM
Great to see the Lions get the the season underway with a win last night. The recruits played well with Raines getting a heap of kicks as did Staker, Fev could have kicked 6, Banfield made some blues but did some good things too. Skill level was pretty ordinary but its early. Good to see the footy back. :)

AndyP
28th March 2010, 09:21 PM
Good to see the footy back. :)Hoorah!

ddasey
28th March 2010, 09:25 PM
Good to see the footy back. :)

:smt023

unclechopchop
28th March 2010, 09:58 PM
Love seeing the football how good are the pies? the real question is how good can we be?Jolly played ok today, did a better job then fraser or the other big lug wood has done of late.Dane Swan was awsomw as was Maxwell showed real collingwood spirit.Presti just keeps getting better just like a grange.Lots of others contributed Harry O absloutly oblitereated the dogs offensively Shaw was solid If i had to pick an underdone pies for the day it would be sidebottom and a couple of others.Good goood gooood karma for the rest of the season pies and bullies def top 4 both with destroy mediocre sides this year

LarryLong
28th March 2010, 10:10 PM
March champions. :)

unclechopchop
28th March 2010, 10:14 PM
Nah that was the bulldogs :)

Minor_Threat
28th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Nah that was the bulldogs :)If you listen to the media bullshit..

See you in September ;)

Yossarian
28th March 2010, 11:16 PM
****ing dockers.

markTHEblake
29th March 2010, 01:34 AM
Its only round 1, I enjoyed watching the footy this weekend, the supporters of about 8 clubs didnt!

As long as I have plenty of more happy days this season, nothing to get hung up about.

mint
29th March 2010, 02:34 PM
Pies played great...

Dogs on the other hand should have told Johnson to wait another week and overlooked Moles and Ward.. Stupid!

More ticker required by the Kennel next week!

I think you guys played well but your right a few of your boys didnt seem hungry enough..

was at the game and man you move the ball quick.. can easily destroy a team if they are not prepared to run!

just
4th April 2010, 05:09 PM
It'll probably be a reasonably lean year but here goes anyway:
SWANNIES!!!!!!!!

Yossarian
4th April 2010, 05:43 PM
Are the roos worse than melbourne?

kingslayer33
4th April 2010, 05:53 PM
Bit harsh yoss. I think the wet toast boys are also yet to win.

We were pretty good yesterday and the tiggers are still to play too.

Maybe the pies peaked for round 1 ;)

and after just reading uncle choppa's last post it was really obvious ziggy was reincarnated.

BrisWesty
5th April 2010, 05:03 PM
Geelong got away with one there. Sorry AP.

AndyP
5th April 2010, 05:10 PM
I'm not worried. It's clear that being short a ruckmen for a couple of months is hurting. Sewell would be handy too.

It was great seeing Gablett get mowed down a couple of times.

Minor_Threat
5th April 2010, 05:56 PM
Glad to see the Cats and Hawks have a tough game.

Dogs v Hawks next week will be good to watch!

Bruce
5th April 2010, 07:36 PM
I actually felt a bit sorry for Renouf in the last quarter. That poor bastard was so gassed by the end.

Nice to see Bateman get mowed down a couple of times too.

Footy is a game of 4 cliches.

Minor_Threat
5th April 2010, 07:42 PM
Nice to see Bateman get mowed down a couple of times too.
Agreed mate, I enjoyed that very much also..

BrisWesty
6th April 2010, 07:15 AM
I'm not worried. It's clear that being short a ruckmen for a couple of months is hurting. Sewell would be handy too.

It was great seeing Gablett get mowed down a couple of times.

It didn't kill him, it'll only make him stronger - but full marks to Rioli and Petersen for nailing him. You're not wrong about the ruckman shortage for the Hawks, they almost need to do the "vs Freo" tactic of reading and roving the opposing ruckman's tap.

mike
7th April 2010, 12:11 AM
Go Dragons.

zacdullard
10th April 2010, 04:45 PM
Take that Yoss.

It was amusing listening to Rex Hunt on MMM's broadcast.

AndyP
10th April 2010, 05:14 PM
How did you know what the score was with Hunt commentating?

When I hear him, I immediately change the station.

Congratulations on the win. That's both of today's tips wrong for me.

kingslayer33
10th April 2010, 05:33 PM
Rex is the biggest nuffnuff commentator ever. Makes Sandy Roberts looks good!

zacdullard
10th April 2010, 05:42 PM
hahaha his favourite comment today was a worm burning, mongrel, finger breaking punt. He must have said it 15 times.

AndyP
10th April 2010, 05:51 PM
Repetitiveness is one of his trademarks.

Bruce
10th April 2010, 06:41 PM
I watched the 3rd quarter last night. It was one of the worst games I've ever seen. St Kilda v Swans from 2 years ago is the actual worst I've ever seen.

Monday and Friday featured 4 of the teams considered chances to finish top 4 - which game would you rather watch?

Yossarian
10th April 2010, 07:57 PM
****ing eagles.

AndyP
11th April 2010, 04:59 PM
Bummer! Two great games in a row without any reward. We just can't hold it together for all four quarters without more of our best 22 playing

How good is Rioli? He has been sensational.
Did you guys take my advice to put Peterson in your Dream Team? He would have been racking the points up in the first half.

zacdullard
11th April 2010, 05:13 PM
The dogs looked good. From the parts I saw their ball skills looked great and big bad barry looked strong up forward.

AndyP
11th April 2010, 05:19 PM
I'll assume you only watched the last quarter or so then. Hall wasn't a factor until late in the game, when the rest of the players were buggered.

zacdullard
11th April 2010, 05:29 PM
Yeh I only watched the last quarter and a half.

Minor_Threat
11th April 2010, 05:34 PM
Umpires played well for the Hawks for the 1st half. Then they shit themselves and decided it was too lopsided. Great contest between Lewis and Harbrow that saw Lewis get stretchered off, awesome courage by both players.

Dogs are still off their game and only came good when the game opened up.

jimandr
11th April 2010, 11:19 PM
I've been a bit unwell this weekend, so I've spent a lot of time on the couch watching sport or falling asleep. I didn't see all the Collingwood v St Kilda or all of Adelaide v Melbourne, but I was prepared to say the game has big problems when teams can go more than half the game without scoring a goal and still be in contention.

AFL was getting to be like basketball, with a possession game based on a patient buildup to a score. But those games were more like soccer. The possession game was almost designed to prevent the opposition from scoring, rather than score yourself.

Then I watched the last half of Freo v Geelong. That game was brilliant. If AFL can serve up more of that, and less of the other, it will always be worth watching.

AndyP
13th April 2010, 12:22 PM
Oh FFS, this is ridiculous. :(

Hawks defender Josh Gibson will undergo surgery later this afternoon to repair a damaged hamstring tendon injured in last Sunday’s match against the Western Bulldogs.

The surgery will see Gibson sidelined for up to 12 weeks.

just
17th April 2010, 05:25 PM
Oh FFS, this is ridiculous. :(
No great loss, Gibson is a complete plonker. Oh and thanks for Kennedy and McGlynn.

Oh yeah I almost forgot:
SWANNIES!!!!!!!!

ddasey
17th April 2010, 09:57 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:eqNz5UKvCeNDCM:http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1063478123189_2003/09/15/pies_logo.jpg (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1063478123189_2003/09/15/pies_logo.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/15/1063478124344.html&usg=__2CMpCvlCnv2ZcDX5iu3qpPiRfj0=&h=263&w=200&sz=18&hl=en&start=2&sig2=Acr34RITxIgRLft5VFnjoA&itbs=1&tbnid=eqNz5UKvCeNDCM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcollingwood%2Blogo%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D 2%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=xaHJS9--HZLs7AOD76z4Ag)

The Pies gave the Hawks a bit of a walloping tonight :mrgreen: (Sorry AP)

just
18th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Some great matches in a good week of football. On another topic Andrew Raines must be feeling about the luckiest footballer around at the moment.

kingslayer33
18th April 2010, 07:52 PM
What about Richo. Got out at the right time!

Minor_Threat
19th April 2010, 07:55 PM
I didn't see any footy this weekend (due to working stupid crazy hours), but I read the dogs were very ordinary. Lets hope they can turn that around soon!

AndyP
20th April 2010, 08:45 AM
That troll that doused johnno should get a public stoning!
Let the stoning begin.
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=92636

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 09:59 AM
Let the stoning begin.
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=92636
Funny how this bloke gets 2 nights in the clink and the troll got nothing..

On another note, how soft is Fev, he is happy to go to the boundary and give the crowd a serve, he gets a trickle of beer on him and he goes to the cops!

Weak dog IMO..

just
20th April 2010, 10:22 AM
Funny how this bloke gets 2 nights in the clink and the troll got nothing..

On another note, how soft is Fev, he is happy to go to the boundary and give the crowd a serve, he gets a trickle of beer on him and he goes to the cops!

Weak dog IMO..
Nothing wrong with your comprehension is there.
Who says the Fev abused the crowd? The only one saying that is the idiot who threw the beer, no one else.
Fev didn't go to the cops, security saw the incident and called the police, Fev just pointed out the idiot and he probably didn't need to do it anyway since security saw it.
And finally the troll apologised unreservedly and also said she wanted to make restitution by paying a charity, while this ****wit didn't apologise, said he wasn't sorry at all and that Fev deserved it. Whether you like Fev or not, that is just piss poor.
I may be missing the humour in your post, but what can really expect from your average Bulldogs supporter.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 11:53 AM
Nothing wrong with your comprehension is there.
Who says the Fev abused the crowd? The only one saying that is the idiot who threw the beer, no one else.
Fev didn't go to the cops, security saw the incident and called the police, Fev just pointed out the idiot and he probably didn't need to do it anyway since security saw it.
And finally the troll apologised unreservedly and also said she wanted to make restitution by paying a charity, while this ****wit didn't apologise, said he wasn't sorry at all and that Fev deserved it. Whether you like Fev or not, that is just piss poor.
I may be missing the humour in your post, but what can really expect from your average Bulldogs supporter.
That is your take on events, I happen to know quite a few of the bulldogs supporters that were in the area at the time, so I know what did occur and there was plenty of abuse from Fev at some stage.

I wouldn't apologise either..
Johnno is a role model / player that Fev can only dream to aspire to, and is deserved of an apology!

I have to laugh about your comments on Bulldogs supporters, there are plenty out there worse than us. You obviously know your stuff..

just
20th April 2010, 12:03 PM
That is your take on events, I happen to know quite a few of the bulldogs supporters that were in the area at the time, so I know what did occur and there was plenty of abuse from Fev at some stage.

I wouldn't apologise either..
Johnno is a role model / player that Fev can only dream to aspire to, and is deserved of an apology!

I have to laugh about your comments on Bulldogs supporters, there are plenty out there worse than us. You obviously know your stuff..
So some Bulldogs supporters claim Fev abused them, how surprising! I'm sure that they were complete angels.

So because Fev is a tool you can throw beer on him and not apologise. Excellent, I'll teach my kids those lessons-two wrongs make a right and never apologise if you've done something wrong if you don't like the other person.

Unlike your posts, my Bulldog dig was TIC. I can't believe that you are not trying to wind us up and you really believe the turd your posting. Say it ain't so.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 12:23 PM
In other news how could a team like the bulldogs with great depth struggle to overcome the lions?

just
20th April 2010, 12:38 PM
Because the Lions are very good, top 4 good. They controlled the first half of the first quarter and the whole of the third and and fourth. In the fourth they were more intense and Bulldogs hardly made it past halfway the whole quarter.

AndyP
20th April 2010, 12:45 PM
Because the Lions are very good, top 4 good. I would amend that to say that at full strength they are top 4 good. I don't think they have much depth, and the way their reserves have been getting flogged it doesn't convince me otherwise.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 12:50 PM
So some Bulldogs supporters claim Fev abused them, how surprising! I'm sure that they were complete angels.

So because Fev is a tool you can throw beer on him and not apologise. Excellent, I'll teach my kids those lessons-two wrongs make a right and never apologise if you've done something wrong if you don't like the other person.

Unlike your posts, my Bulldog dig was TIC. I can't believe that you are not trying to wind us up and you really believe the turd your posting. Say it ain't so.
No claims about it mate, it did happen. I have no reason to not believe what I have been told.

Teach your kids what you want mate, ill be teaching mine to make an educated choice on whether they apologise or not. It isn't as "Black and White" as two wrongs don't make a right.

In regards to the Bulldogs depth they indeed were totally outplayed by the Lions. However depth only goes so far, our injury list is quite extensive with many players weeks away from recovery.

just
20th April 2010, 12:56 PM
Teach your kids what you want mate, ill be teaching mine to make an educated choice on whether they apologise or not. It isn't as "Black and White" as two wrongs don't make a right.
Yes, it is as black and white as that. I'll refrain from commenting further because I'm speechless.

kingslayer33
20th April 2010, 02:55 PM
On a more light-hearted note ...

I know we have some pies fans on here so you may be interested. For the rest read the item description.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110521214070#ht_1547wt_948

Moe Norman
20th April 2010, 02:58 PM
The Lions aren't THAT good. They were lucky to get the Dogs on the rebound from a bruising game off a 6 day break, aon the road and missing key players.

Just like the Pies were lucky to get Hawthorn coming off the same 6 day break, from the same bruising game and also missing key players.

AndyP
20th April 2010, 03:25 PM
And the Bulldogs were lucky to get the Hawks on the rebound, from a different bruising game off a 6 day break and missing key players. :mrgreen:

AndyP
20th April 2010, 03:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110521214070#ht_1547wt_948That's funny.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 03:33 PM
Western Bulldogs Injury List

Matthew Boyd (broken hand) - 1 week
Tim Callan (knee) - TBA
Ayce Cordy (shoulder) - 3 weeks
Christian Howard (hip) - 4 weeks
James Mulligan (hamstring) - 1 week
Liam Picken (ankle) - 5-6 weeks
Shane Thorne (knee) - 12 weeks
Callan Ward (groin) - 5 weeks
Easton Wood (knee) - test
Updated April 19

And aker and brad johnson didn't line up against the lions? So they were missing 4 of the best 22? Although I thought boyd played.

Simon Black (calf) - test
Bryce Retzlaff (shin) - test
Bart McCulloch (quad) - test
Sam Sheldon (back) - 1 week
Amon Buchanan (thumb) - 1-2 weeks
Jed Adcock (quad) - 2 weeks
Cheynee Stiller (hamstring) - 2 weeks
Ryan Harwood (ankle) - 2 weeks
Mitch Golby (knee) - 2 weeks
Jamie Charman (ankle) - 2-4 weeks
Xavier Clarke (knee) - indefinite

just
20th April 2010, 03:39 PM
Boyd did play and Brisbane were missing Mitch Clarke and Ash McGrath (suspension) as well.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, it is as black and white as that. I'll refrain from commenting further because I'm speechless.
An extreme example..
Someone breaks into my house to steal stuff, I punch him in the head and break his nose. Should I apologise?

Fev abused the shit out of certain people in the crowd (someone may take it personally) and he gets dregs of a beer spilt on him. Should they apologise? As I have stated earlier I wouldn't.

Western Bulldogs Injury List

Matthew Boyd (broken hand) - 1 week
Tim Callan (knee) - TBA
Ayce Cordy (shoulder) - 3 weeks
Christian Howard (hip) - 4 weeks
James Mulligan (hamstring) - 1 week
Liam Picken (ankle) - 5-6 weeks
Shane Thorne (knee) - 12 weeks
Callan Ward (groin) - 5 weeks
Easton Wood (knee) - test
Updated April 19

And aker and brad johnson didn't line up against the lions? So they were missing 4 of the best 22? Although I thought boyd played.

Simon Black (calf) - test
Bryce Retzlaff (shin) - test
Bart McCulloch (quad) - test
Sam Sheldon (back) - 1 week
Amon Buchanan (thumb) - 1-2 weeks
Jed Adcock (quad) - 2 weeks
Cheynee Stiller (hamstring) - 2 weeks
Ryan Harwood (ankle) - 2 weeks
Mitch Golby (knee) - 2 weeks
Jamie Charman (ankle) - 2-4 weeks
Xavier Clarke (knee) - indefinite
Not sure of the point of that injury list mate?

As far as I know Boyd played, Ward and Picken are in our best 22! Reid is missing off that list, who is best 25.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 04:03 PM
You have just shown you have no idea about the Dogs Yoss.. We have about 26 very competent players vying for 22 spots at the moment!

Depth is not our problem..

My point is both teams had about the same amount of players missing from their best 22. 4.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 04:15 PM
My point is both teams had about the same amount of players missing from their best 22. 4.
So next your going to tell me you define depth as 30 odd players any of which can slot into the starting 22 with no problems?

I'm pretty sure I have said we were outplayed by Brisbane. The team we fielded was certainly capable of beating Brisbane as was shown by being 30 pts ahead in the 3rd Qtr.

zacdullard
20th April 2010, 06:21 PM
This made me laugh. A Collingwood supporter walks into the local pub with a seagull sitting on his shoulder, the barman asked where he got it from, "Down at the tip" replied the seagull, "there's 1000's of the dirty ****ers living there".

kingslayer33
20th April 2010, 06:53 PM
Zac that is what is commonly referred to as "champagne comedy"

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 08:17 PM
So next your going to tell me you define depth as 30 odd players any of which can slot into the starting 22 with no problems?

I'm pretty sure I have said we were outplayed by Brisbane. The team we fielded was certainly capable of beating Brisbane as was shown by being 30 pts ahead in the 3rd Qtr.

No that would be silly. Depth for mine is how versatile your fringe players are and this is what I think Geelong does well or has chanced. Their fringe players all seem to acquit themselves well no matter what position they slot into. Those in the best 22 seem to be able to move around to different positions to accommodate the fringe players at times as well.

The bulldogs, remembering I have already admitted in this thread I am no Rhodes Scholar about, don't seem to do this as well. Just my opinion of course.

And you were only 30 points ahead, from what I saw, because Brisbane kicked like Muppets for most of the game?

just
20th April 2010, 08:50 PM
And you were only 30 points ahead, from what I saw, because Brisbane kicked like Muppets for most of the game?
Correct.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 09:03 PM
The point is we were 30 pts ahead with the team we fielded.. It makes no difference how it occured!

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 09:08 PM
There we will have to agree to disagree I suppose I think it does make a difference. The point is you lost with the team you fielded.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 09:11 PM
There we will have to agree to disagree I suppose I think it does make a difference. The point is you lost with the team you fielded.
That is the end result not the point. You were trying to down play the fact that the Bulldogs were 30 pts ahead, it is irrelevant how they gained that lead.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 09:22 PM
First off how is the end result not the point? So they weren't playing to win? What is this auskick "well done boys you tried hard"

Why is it irrelevant, looking at the stats Brisbane smashed you all around the ground but kicked like gumbies. Again I feel this is because the bulldogs don't cover for certain players being out as well as Geelong and St Kilda. You don't seem to have as many swing men for lack of a better term. I still think the dogs are a very good side and should make the four. So if that is what is getting your knickers in a twist here be at ease man.

It conceivably could have been a 60 point loss to you guys I still fail to see the fact Brisbane’s kicking was shithouse is irrelevant? I wasn't downplaying anything merely pointing out that the dogs can consider themselves lucky to have had that lead given how the game was played.

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 09:36 PM
I realise that Brisbane kicked poorly, and I agree we should have lost by 10 - 15 goals. Having said this the game is not decided by total scoring shots and thus the Bulldog lead by 30 pts is as valid as if they were the better side on the night. With the point being the substitute players we had on the field were capable of beating Brisabane based on the fact they achieved this lead.

If Geelong had have kicked straight they would have won the '08 flag. Are you suggesting the Hawks flag is irrevelant because Geelong kicked so poorly?

As the old saying goes "Bad kicking is bad football".

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm not suggesting that at all, just as I am not suggesting Brisbane’s win is irrelevant.

The hawks were lucky they got Geelong on a particularly bad goal kicking day. And they then capitalised on that.

The bulldogs got the lions on a bad goal kicking day which by your implication is a bad day of football. They were then not good enough to do anything with it. The fact the surrendered it to lose by 30 points just goes to indicate, i think, that the subsitute players you had on the field were never capable of beating Brisbane.

markTHEblake
20th April 2010, 09:48 PM
and if it wasnt for the umpires Collingwood would have won 55 premierships by now, and it would have been Taylor in the commercial not Locket

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not suggesting that at all, just as I am not suggesting Brisbane’s win is irrelevant.

The hawks were lucky they got Geelong on a particularly bad goal kicking day. And they then capitalised on that.

The bulldogs got the lions on a bad goal kicking day which by your implication is a bad day of football. They were then not good enough to do anything with it. The fact the surrendered it to lose by 30 points just goes to indicate, i think, that the subsitute players you had on the field were never capable of beating Brisbane.
As I have said numerous time in this thread, Brisbane were the best team on the night. Which is something that would not have been hard to do as I think Gold Coast in the VFL would have given us a run.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, I know we will bounce back. One thing is for sure I would rather be playing badly in April than September..

just
20th April 2010, 10:00 PM
An extreme example..
Someone breaks into my house to steal stuff, I punch him in the head and break his nose. Should I apologise?
You're right that is extreme and just silly, it's not even remotely the same.

Fev abused the shit out of certain people in the crowd (someone may take it personally) and he gets dregs of a beer spilt on him.
So they claim Fev abused them out of the blue? Here is the more likely case:
1. They abused Fev about personal issues, first off a dog act and bogan behaviour, something which would have got them a warning from security. I wouldn't hesitate to complain to security at the ground, and have before, about low behaviour like this.
2. Fev possibly said something back.
3. Some idiot committed assault by throwing beer on Fev.

Class individuals!

Should they apologise? As I have stated earlier I wouldn't.
Condoning personal abuse and assault. Once again, I'm speechless.

BrisWesty
20th April 2010, 10:56 PM
Did someone call Fev a punt?

Minor_Threat
20th April 2010, 11:14 PM
You're right that is extreme and just silly, it's not even remotely the same.

So they claim Fev abused them out of the blue? Here is the more likely case:
1. They abused Fev about personal issues, first off a dog act and bogan behaviour, something which would have got them a warning from security. I wouldn't hesitate to complain to security at the ground, and have before, about low behaviour like this.
2. Fev possibly said something back.
3. Some idiot committed assault by throwing beer on Fev.

Class individuals!

Condoning personal abuse and assault. Once again, I'm speechless.
You sound like one of those "do gooder" types.. Your not a cop or a teacher are you or maybe your Fevs Dad?

Am I supposed to feel bad for upsetting your moral values? I couldn't really give a toss if your speechless!

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 11:27 PM
I find it amusing that you called him a weak dog.

I actually don't think fev has done much wrong here.