PDA

View Full Version : *.wav conversion to *.mp3

Keza_G
9th February 2005, 07:20 PM
Ok...

So now that Ducky has converted the *.psd files I now have another problem.

I have saved all my fav music onto my computer, they saved themselves as *.wav files. I now have a new mp3 player and 10 songs take up the full memory as they are so big.

Here come the question...... How do I convert all of my fav *.wav files to *.mp3 files so that they can put onto the player ?

You techies out there should be able to help out with this hey ??

Cheers in advance

Keza

Ducky
9th February 2005, 07:36 PM
There is a wide selection of them here (http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=WAV+MP3+converter&tg=dl-20&search.x=21&search.y=9&search=+Go%21+). I can't personally recommend any of them, but the safest bet would be to use one that has been rated highly by CNET.

You should save the converted MP3 files at a bit rate of 192kbps, as it's a nice mix of quality and filesize. If you go any lower than 128kbps, you'll notice that the MP3 files become noisey and may pop/crack quite frequently.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Edit: Scratch the above. I found the application that I use to rip audio CDs with. It's called EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and is extremely good at retaining audio quality (due to using the LAME codec). I can't remember if it converts from WAV to MP3 but it does a great job of ripping tracks directly from a CD. You can check it out here (http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/).

Jarro
9th February 2005, 07:37 PM
I use Adadptec create-a-CD.

Keza_G
9th February 2005, 07:40 PM
Ok......

So... does a conversion from *.WAV to *.MP3 make the file smaller ? therefore allowing me to put more onto my player ?

Cheers again

Keza

AndyP
9th February 2005, 07:46 PM
So... does a conversion from *.WAV to *.MP3 make the file smaller ? therefore allowing me to put more onto my player ?
If should make quite a difference, Keza.

Ducky
9th February 2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I just edited my above post to recommend a good application that I used previously. Basically, a WAV -> MP3 conversion will reduce the filesize by a multiplier of approximately ten (this will vary depending on the MP3 bit rate selected). So lets say your WAV file was 30mb originally, it would become approximately 3mb after its conversion to the MP3 filetype. Be wary though that you do not select too low a bit rate (as mentioned in my previous post), as you will notice a significant decrease in the quality of your audio file.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Fishman Dan
9th February 2005, 07:59 PM
Keza - I use Easy CD-DA Extractor. It's shareware and does the job perfectly.

An .mp3 file is like other sound file, but the mpeg3 compression algorithm (there ya go, nerd factor) is far better - therefore same file, less size.

jaster
9th February 2005, 08:05 PM
If your Mp3 player plays .wma files as well you should use Windows Media Player to rip your CDs again and make sure you do it while connected to the internet as it will update all the song names automatically for you and convert them pretty painlessly. Then you will have them on your PC and it even dls the titles with the album covers for 95% of Cds which makes them way easier to locate and upload.

markTHEblake
9th February 2005, 10:50 PM
I use BeSweetGUI for converting audio files between different types.

For converting whole Audio Cd's in one click I use DBPowerAMP, which also automatically names the files for you from an internet database.

Both are freeware.