PDA

View Full Version : Range Balls

Fishman Dan
25th May 2004, 10:07 AM
I've been to a few ranges relative to my house, and found the better the range, the $hittier the ball.

Terry Hills: Golf super-complex. Somewhere nestled into the bushland is one of Sydney's (Australia's!) elite golf courses. They have a driving range, pitch'n'putt, putt-putt and other facilities. However the balls they use are non-branded, and look about 5 years old and severely lack any compression.
Sydney Olympic Park: Another state of the art facility, using no-name balls. Often scarred, and have had them with chips or chunks out of them! Generally they are the colour of margarine left in the sun for 2 weeks.
Macquarie (Uni): Normal bays, long downhill range. They have relatively new looking TopFlight 3000 balls. Quite hard, but their condition is much better than the other ranges.

Interestingly there is a 'cost comparison' at the Terry Hills rage on the actual ball machine (stuck on with blue-tack) - where they justify their 60 balls per token at a lower rate than 'others'. Mind you, with the condition of their range balls, you're getting ripped off.

Anyone noticed the balls at your local range? You want to be able to look at the ball you are about to hit and know that it's going to fly relatively truly, and the distance you would normally expect. You don't get that feeling at Terry Hills or SOP.

andylo
25th May 2004, 10:13 AM
in Brisbane, the only range I found using proper balls is Golf Mania in Mainly. You will be supprise what ball it comes up from the electrical adjustable tees....

Nike TW, Callaways, MaxFli A10/Noodle, Dunlop LOCO,.... and of course... the famous TopFlite any models.

they are all marked so don't bother to steal it :lol:

Although the balls are not really that new, but it flys so true. Time to time (once a month) I will go there just to confirm how long I hit on each club.

gazgolf1
25th May 2004, 12:15 PM
in Brisbane, the only range I found using proper balls is Golf Mania in Mainly. You will be supprise what ball it comes up from the electrical adjustable tees....

Nike TW, Callaways, MaxFli A10/Noodle, Dunlop LOCO,.... and of course... the famous TopFlite any models.

they are all marked so don't bother to steal it :lol:

Although the balls are not really that new, but it flys so true. Time to time (once a month) I will go there just to confirm how long I hit on each club.

Viccy pk has good balls,the compound rubber ones but all are near new.
Oxley has good balls too,nothing worse than range balls with no dimples. :smt078

amanda
25th May 2004, 12:58 PM
Dan - sometimes you can get a good batch at SOP - my bucket the other day was 99% new looking balls.

markTHEblake
25th May 2004, 01:58 PM
at Emerald Lakes the balls are great. then after a while they get old, then they buy new balls again. On average I would have to say the balls are very good as they seem to cycle them often/

Courty
25th May 2004, 03:48 PM
I have my own collection of practice balls, which includes some range balls (I found them :wink: ). I have noticed a big difference in the performance between the range balls and the regular balls. Last week I was practicing with a 9 iron and found there was up ro 20m difference depending on the ball! :shock:

goughy
25th May 2004, 04:20 PM
I read on bsg a guy was working at one of the pga events. He said they were cracking open the range balls for the tournament. About 300 dozen pro v1's.

That's the range I'd like to practice at. You'd probably have an armed guard checking to see if any balls get stolen.

Jarro
25th May 2004, 04:53 PM
I read on bsg a guy was working at one of the pga events. He said they were cracking open the range balls for the tournament. About 300 dozen pro v1's.

That's the range I'd like to practice at. You'd probably have an armed guard checking to see if any balls get stolen.

think i read the same thing Goughy :?

the guy said the Pro's were bombing them to the back of the range (300yds) and through the back fence. He and his mate just went there after hours and grabbed all the balls they could 8)

Fishman Dan
25th May 2004, 05:30 PM

Funny you say that. At a PowerGolf carpark sale (their big sales, 3 or 4 times a year), I bought 10 x Hogan Apex in a plastic bag - but it had the word PRACTICE stamped on it in fairly large letters. I asked them when i bought it, and all he would say is that you could get it off with acetone (? or similar solvent?). They were something like $30 a bag.

I should have bought more - i honestly couldn't feel the difference between those and the box i was going through. Interesting to note though, the font that 'Hogan' was written in was different to the dozen i got in a box.

It was around the time there was a tournament in Sydney last year ('03) - the ANZ or something?? Can't recall. I've still got one in my bag too.. cuts and gashes all over it, been hit about a million times.. (4 rounds? :lol: :roll:)

gazgolf1
25th May 2004, 05:56 PM
When they used to play the Palm Meadows cup we would wait until the tournament was finished and check out this pond next to the driving range and we'd usually get 10 or so Balatas that the Pro's had spanked once or twice.
Ah memories........ 8)

Grunt
16th February 2008, 05:05 PM
Dragging up an old thread but still

Went to Shark's Driving range @ Horsley Park this afternoon, horror balls, mainly Precept D feels and Noodles. It does not worry me but I know it does other so I thought I would tell you all. $8 a bucket(roughly 80 balls to a bucket)
Hoxton Park Range is just as bad.

jaybam
16th February 2008, 05:46 PM
You can still buy the prov1x balls from the states that were used at the practice range for the pros. Usually only been hit half dozen times and i believe they are about 200 dollars for six dozen. Give or take a few dollars. One of the guys i play with every now and then uses them. They are stamped practice but for around 3 dollars a ball thats not bad.

markTHEblake
16th February 2008, 10:43 PM
They are stamped practice but for around 3 dollars a ball thats not bad.

its not a very good price when you can get mint Prov1s for $2.50 and dont even have practice stamped on them :)

Rusty
19th February 2008, 11:08 AM
jayman Blakey's most likely referring to this

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8420