PDA

View Full Version : Stats Programme

Jarro
29th April 2004, 03:56 PM
I think i remember Blakey talking about some programme he uses, i'm using the Better@Golf programme ... but have learned that it can't be re-installed on another computer :x

I'm getting a new computer soon so i'll want another good programme to use... what do you all use :?:

goughy
29th April 2004, 04:25 PM
I'm a lover of intelligolf. Great for my pda.

jaster
29th April 2004, 05:57 PM
I think i remember Blakey talking about some programme he uses, i'm using the Better@Golf programme ... but have learned that it can't be re-installed on another computer :x

I'm getting a new computer soon so i'll want another good programme to use... what do you all use :?:

I will organise a program for you mate....gstat....you can make it **COUGH**FREEEEE!!!**COUGH** :P

Jarro
29th April 2004, 06:14 PM
thanks guys :D

Onewood
29th April 2004, 06:26 PM
I will organise a program for you mate....gstat....you can make it **COUGH**FREEEEE!!!**COUGH** :P

Freeeeeee!!!!!!

Yes PLEASE :D

markTHEblake
30th April 2004, 07:05 AM
Dont be a terd and pay for Gstats - its worth it and Scott Maga continues to improve the product and provides excellent support. Its also a lifetime license, all upgrades are free.

Its uncool to pirate software from fellow golfers !

(FWIW - i used it beyond the trial period which is about 3 months, but eventually I paid for it - support the little guys)

markTHEblake
30th April 2004, 07:08 AM
i'm using the Better@Golf programme ... but have learned that it can't be re-installed on another computer :x

I have a version that can be installed again = its on a floppy disk but the install writes to the disk, so it cant be used again until uninstalled.
I need a program that can copy hidden non-dos file sections.

There are other ways this can be done, by using MS Virtual PC, more about that later if you are interested.

AndyP
30th April 2004, 07:37 AM
I am also interested in getting a stats program too. (I think I have given up on creating my own Access database).

I will be waiting until I get a new computer, which should be soonish.

So GStat is what those of us w/o a PDA like?

jaster
30th April 2004, 11:44 AM
Dont be a terd and pay for Gstats - its worth it and Scott Maga continues to improve the product and provides excellent support. Its also a lifetime license, all upgrades are free.

Its uncool to pirate software from fellow golfers !

(FWIW - i used it beyond the trial period which is about 3 months, but eventually I paid for it - support the little guys)

:oops: I am only trialling it :shock:

Jarro
30th April 2004, 04:06 PM
Blakey,

i'm interested to hear your thoughts ......

... How does Gstat compare to Better@Golf :?:

markTHEblake
30th April 2004, 06:35 PM
... How does Gstat compare to Better@Golf :?:

Better@Golf.

-Seems to fiind the perfect balance more detail / less detail.
Like you can input everything from memory even several days later.

-Just enough Stats and output to meet everyones requirement.

-very quick to enter scores.

-company has gone broke.

-shows average stats for your handicap to compare too.

Gstat - can download 3mth trial from here. http://www.gstatpro.com

- can enter as little or as much stats as you like - find your happy medium.

- if you want to record all possible stats you need a big brain like G69 or a big notepad. i tried it for a while and it was a quite distracting from your game.

- appears very complicated.

- developer of product has been working on it for 6 years or more, shows no signs of stopping, and offers lifetime upgrades for free.

- can make suggestions and he will implement them - eg AGU handicap system was my suggestion <humility>

- not a particulary user freindly output of stats - but he is working on that!

Both have their good and bad points - I first began using Gstat, then switched to B@G. Now I am back to Gstat only becuase i cant install the latest version.

Jarro - did you want to install B@G ON another computer or MOVE it to another computer?
There is a special uninstall method that will allow you tomove it to another computer - see Help. If you really value the program, set it up on a thin install of Win98,and then burn an image of that drive to CD. If the program ever dies you can still recover it from that ghost image.

Jarro
30th April 2004, 06:41 PM
Jarro - did you want to install B@G ON another computer or MOVE it to another computer?
There is a special uninstall method that will allow you tomove it to another computer - see Help. If you really value the program, set it up on a thin install of Win98,and then burn an image of that drive to CD. If the program ever dies you can still recover it from that ghost image.

thanks Blakey 8)

I just want to re-install it on my new computer (when i get it)

i'll check out the Help menu #-o

markTHEblake
1st May 2004, 03:13 PM
You will need to have both computers running at the same time to transfer it. basically the uninstall will generate the serial number you need to enter into the new installation.

its a challenge/response system so you need toinstal on the new computer first.

do you have the upgrade patch saved somewhere? i downloaded it frm their website but i no longer have it

Jarro
1st May 2004, 03:32 PM
You will need to have both computers running at the same time to transfer it. basically the uninstall will generate the serial number you need to enter into the new installation.

its a challenge/response system so you need toinstal on the new computer first.

do you have the upgrade patch saved somewhere? i downloaded it frm their website but i no longer have it

mate i have zilch .... bubkis :shock: :oops:

Jarro
1st January 2005, 04:08 PM
OK... time to renew this thread from long ago :roll:

I've decided that starting this year i really want to get a good stats keeping programme ..... has anyone found anything new and interesting since we spoke of these other programmes :?:

What about that "Tap-in-stats" programme that i've seen at various pro-shops .... is anyone using that :?:

markTHEblake
1st January 2005, 05:07 PM
Ross at GCI uses it

Jarro
1st January 2005, 05:15 PM
Ross at GCI uses it

the "Tap-in-stats" programme :?: :?:

What does he think of it :?:

AndyP
1st January 2005, 05:49 PM
... has anyone found anything new and interesting since we spoke of these other programmes :?:
I'm trying to build my own access database in my spare time. :roll: Meanwhile, I am keeping stats in Gametrack on FGI.

Jarro
1st January 2005, 05:52 PM
yeah i think i'll keep using the FGI Gametrack system for my stats until i can find a good programme :roll:

AndyP
1st January 2005, 05:56 PM
yeah i think i'll keep using the FGI Gametrack system for my stats until i can find a good programme :roll:
I thought you had only been using it for your scores recently and not your stats. :?

Jarro
1st January 2005, 06:10 PM
I thought you had only been using it for your scores recently and not your stats. :?

yeah, i started using the stat facility a while ago, but recently couldn't be bothered :roll:

i just deleted all my old scores .... starting afresh from today .... so i'll try and keep all my stats from now on, and transfer them to any new programme i decide to use 8)

markTHEblake
1st January 2005, 07:38 PM
Ross at GCI uses it

the "Tap-in-stats" programme :?: :?:

What does he think of it :?:

he actually uses two programs, Gstat and Tap in Stats. cant remember what he thinks of it but he must like it if he continues to use it.

i think he is using two becuase he cant decide which one to use, and he loves stats and stuff.

goughy
1st January 2005, 08:01 PM
I'll see if I can find you a "demo" copy of intelligolf to try.

Jarro
16th January 2005, 06:14 PM
well i've decided to go with the Tap-in-stats program (sorry Goughy)

seems to be pretty easy to use, and shows me all i need to know 8)

.. anybody else using it :?:

Onewood
25th January 2005, 09:50 PM
well i've decided to go with the Tap-in-stats program (sorry Goughy)

seems to be pretty easy to use, and shows me all i need to know 8)

.. anybody else using it :?:
I now have it too 8) Having a look at it tonight and its going to be hard to put all the stats together because of the 3 courses we have at logan :roll: I could go 3 weeks and only have one round in each course :? just have to see how it goes...

Grunt
26th January 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi guys

I use tap in and have found it pretty good but you do have to play the same course several times to get all the features working accurately.

My only problem is that it is highlighting lots of problems with my game. :cry: and not just one that I can work on at a time.

AndyP
27th January 2005, 10:43 AM
I use tap in and have found it pretty good but you do have to play the same course several times to get all the features working accurately.
More details please. What sort of extra features apply for playing the same course several times?

I ask because I play different courses all of the time.

AndyP
27th October 2005, 01:27 PM
*bump*
Hey Grunt,  you never answered my question.  I figured 9 months was long enough.   :lol:

Grunt
27th October 2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry AndyP I never saw the post when you asked about it.

The averages, stroke indexes & game plans for certain holes. It works out where you don't find the fairway often and then lets you change your gameplan for that hole. Gameplan is basically what club you use off the tee.

It tracks:
* Driving
* GIR
* Putting
* BUnker Play
* Scrambling
* Scoring
* Eclectic
* Handicap
* Hole By Hole

It keeps the 12 most recent rounds for each course and every 12 rounds it asks you to record a snapshot of your figure and it remembers that for tracking purposes.

I only use it at my home course as it is not that good for tracking courses that you dont play that often. I use gametrack for all the other games I play.
It is great for the sole purpose of identifing where you are giving up shot on your round as you can see them very clearly with the stroke index it gives each course you enter and then compare it to the card. For instance the hole indexed 1 on the card at Mac Grange is 17 by Tap in for my recent playing efforts.

Also you need at least Microsoft Excel 97 to use it.

I like it!!!.

AndyP
2nd November 2005, 09:33 PM
OK, I've had a look at Tap-in and am pretty disappointed. :(
I didn't realise that it didn't combine stats from the different golf courses at all.
Also, it makes an assumption that I have failed to chip and putt on any hole that I haven't had a GIR, and marked it as a success. As far as I am concerned, it's not a chip and putt attempt if I am hitting my 3rd to a par 4 from the trees 150m away.

I can see some good features of it, but the two bad points above makes it lose it's appeal to me.

markTHEblake
2nd November 2005, 10:06 PM
Also, it makes an assumption that I have failed to chip and putt on any hole that I haven't had a GIR, and marked it as a success.  

do they call it a chip and putt, or an Up and Down.

I have used stats programs that look at an Up and Down % to simply mean how many times you made par if you miss the green, regardless how far away you missed it. Its a valid stat or low markers, but not for anyone else.

The stats program i use seems to make that assumption as well, but i just untick the box in the short game screen if it wasnt a genuine up and down attempt.

it also combines stats from all the courses.

been telling you for years, but you wont listen - Gstats Gstats Gstats

AndyP
3rd November 2005, 07:52 AM
It actually called it a chip and putt.

I know, I know, but I don't know if I want to spend the money on GStat.

markTHEblake
3rd November 2005, 08:43 AM
Its cheaper than the others isnt it?

AndyP
5th January 2006, 03:50 PM
Gstat - can download 3mth trial from here. http://www.gstatpro.com

- can enter as little or as much stats as you like - find your happy medium.

- if you want to record all possible stats you need a big brain like G69 or a big notepad. i tried it for a while and it was a quite distracting from your game.

- appears very complicated.

- developer of product has been working on it for 6 years or more, shows no signs of stopping, and offers lifetime upgrades for free.

- can make suggestions and he will implement them - eg AGU handicap system was my suggestion <humility>

- not a particulary user freindly output of stats - but he is working on that!
Blakey, it's been nearly two years since you did the little review above.
Have the bad points that you noted improved with upgrades?

AndyP
7th January 2006, 10:21 PM
Have the bad points that you noted improved with upgrades?
Blakey, are you still using GStatPro?

AndyP
11th January 2006, 09:26 AM
You can stop composing your reply now Blakey, I've downloaded the trial version, and will figure it out for myself when I get around to it.

Grunt
11th November 2007, 03:48 PM
Have gone from using Tap in to Intelligolf now. Much easier to track stats when you rarely play the same course too often. Also great that I can now take my PDA on Social round to track GPS and add stats live as they happen. Just have to see if the PDA battery can last the 4-5 hours that a golf round will require.
Will give it a test this week at The Coast and Brookwater. KV is not on their system yet. Will have to add it.

Grunt
13th November 2007, 02:36 PM
Used it today at The Coast. Was a bit weird doing it on course but was not too difficult. Need to update the PDA though. It does not like having to run for 4 hours. I doubt the battery would last if it were running the GPS antenna as well.