PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne course advice - Tiger week

Courty
19th October 2009, 07:43 PM
A mate of mine is travelling down to Melbourne to watch Tiger play, and is keen to have a game while he is there. As he won't have wheels, he would like to know which decent courses are easily accessible by public transport from the city. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce
19th October 2009, 09:31 PM
Royal Park
Albert Park
Anything else if probably going to need at least some taxi component or a solid walk.

markTHEblake
19th October 2009, 09:34 PM
Warragul would be about a 15min walk from the Train Station.

andigold
20th October 2009, 09:38 AM
Warragul would be about a 15min walk from the Train Station.

Pity it's not in Melbourne :wink:

Bruce
20th October 2009, 09:46 AM
It's about a 40min train ride to Warrigul. If you want to travel for an hour grab a cab in the city.

rodders
20th October 2009, 09:53 AM
Royal Westgate - absolute challenge to the game of golf. Only a short dash from Spotswood station. You can then retire after the game to the spottiswoode hotel - clothes optional after 5pm.

ps. an ability to be able to fight and small weapon experience a bonus.

Bruce
20th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Good call Rodders. Only 12 mins from the city on the train and home to the famous dog leg par 3.

Courty
20th October 2009, 08:01 PM
OK, my buddy (let's call him dc75 ;)) wants to know about Growling Frog. Apart from the odd name, is it any good?

Minor_Threat
20th October 2009, 08:04 PM
OK, my buddy (let's call him dc75 ;)) wants to know about Growling Frog. Apart from the odd name, is it any good?
Never plyed it, but there is no way you will get public transport there!

Depending where you are staying, it would be a good 40mins in a taxi.

Bruce
20th October 2009, 08:06 PM
It is a solid track. Clay based. And FRICKEN MILES from the city.

rodders
20th October 2009, 08:06 PM
yep. go to their website and download voucher. $59 after 1pm + cart + meal in club house such as schnitz for 2!!!!. Rang em today, only catch is must have voucher.

It is looooong, greens can be super quick and a real challenge .

You'll enjoy. Only issue is bit of a drive - about an hour from CBD.

ParMaster
20th October 2009, 08:11 PM
Why not have a game with Jack at Commonwealth? ;)

BrisVegas
20th October 2009, 08:21 PM
which of the sandbelt courses can joe public get on without an invitation? I'm heading down there in the new year and would love to see some of the renowned courses.

rodders
20th October 2009, 08:24 PM
which of the sandbelt courses can joe public get on without an invitation? I'm heading down there in the new year and would love to see some of the renowned courses.

None of the good ones.:cry:

I think your best bet would be Sandringham or Brighton.

ParMaster
20th October 2009, 08:38 PM
BV you can get on any of the courses provided you follow the proper booking procedure. Price will be a bit hefty though..

If you come to via Syd lets have a game at NSW.

In the Hole
20th October 2009, 09:40 PM
Most welcome down at Beacon Hills $18/a round on the composite or $29 on the championship OLD...unbeatable value:smt038

sms316
21st October 2009, 06:39 AM
Write them all a letter explaining that you are an interstate visitor (attach a letter of introduction from Brookwater as well). You will get plenty of starts, but as PM alluded to, the cost might be an issue.

ozdevil
21st October 2009, 09:08 AM
Courty Another option maybe is to seek someone looking for a playing partner on the day he wishes to play and they maybe able to take him to the desired golf course...with out having to walk or go by taxi

Bruce
21st October 2009, 09:27 AM
Courty Another option maybe is to seek someone looking for a playing partner on the day he wishes to play and they maybe able to take him to the desired golf course...with out having to walk or go by taxi

I'm pretty booked out that week though.

LarryLong
21st October 2009, 12:30 PM
Royal Burnley is a crappy little 9-holer that is 2 minutes walk from Burnley station (5 minute train ride out of the city). Right up there with Royal Park, but you can't hear elephants from Burnley. :)

If he's short on transport options I'd consider Albert Park or Yarra Bend. Both within a 20 minute cab ride of the CBD and both reasonable without being spectacular. I'm partial to Yarra Bend because it is a secluded location in parkland. It's a 1.7km walk from Clifton Hill station (According to Google Maps), probably a fraction shorter if you go across the sporting grounds.

chappy1970
21st October 2009, 01:13 PM
Vegas,
Give me some notice and I'll be able to get you on at Southern. Will need to be a Sunday though.

Chappy

BrisVegas
21st October 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Chappy. I'll work out what my dates are first then touch base with you, jack, boonie, bruce et al to see what's possible. Bruce has offered me the foldout couch already, so lodgings are sorted!

I got a free flight with a set of Bridgestone Tyres, but I don't know exactly what date I'll get yet. I just have to tell them my preferred dates and destinations....