PDA

View Full Version : Driving tips, plzzzzz

In the Hole
19th October 2009, 07:25 PM
Off the tee, I'm about as reliable as Connex on a 40deg + day.:oops:..I reckon if I could improve my consistency by 1/2 I would really motor from C to B grade.

Some background, I have a pretty quick and very full swing in the John Daly mould. My crude attempt to minimise the flex and try and get some REAL control was to adopt an older style steel shafted driver 10.5 deg...this has helped moderatley.

I can use hybrids off the tee ok, mainly stick to No 5 on long Par 3 and go alright...the No 3 Hybrid ...about same performance as my driver.

Any useful tips would be most welcome:-k

Courty
19th October 2009, 07:28 PM
Judging from what you have said here, I'd say shorten up your swing for better control. It's hard to say much more without seeing your swing.

zacdullard
19th October 2009, 07:34 PM
Shorten your swing sounds like the way to go, athough buying that latest driver keeps a lot of people satisfied.

In the Hole
19th October 2009, 08:15 PM
Shorten your swing sounds like the way to go, athough buying that latest driver keeps a lot of people satisfied.

I do have a 460cc oversized dunlop driver...although Ive had my good days with it...never been able to est any consistency:cry:, that is by the way eradicating that horrid slice. ...I'm pretty solid on irons/wedges...just the long club I have some real trouble with

Courty
19th October 2009, 08:38 PM
never been able to est any consistency:cry:, that is by the way eradicating that horrid slice.

I'm betting that you have a flying right elbow. Try the "headcover under the right arm" drill to keep the club from getting too far outside.

In the Hole
19th October 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm betting that you have a flying right elbow. Try the "headcover under the right arm" drill to keep the club from getting too far outside.
you might be right, a single fig h'cap mate said same thing, without the tip;)...I'll try that ...

markTHEblake
19th October 2009, 09:36 PM
Jack Nicklaus has a flying right elbow, and so did Eamonn Darcy.
Admittedly Jack won a few more tournaments than Eamonn.

razaar
19th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Eamonn Darcy, now there is a swing that when seen would give you the feeling that it couldn't possibly work...yet he was a great iron player and somehow arrived at impact in perfect form. Good call MTB.

markTHEblake
19th October 2009, 10:11 PM
its even better in slow motion, but do not watch on a full stomach.
there is a video on you tube called weird golf swings, goes for about 10mins, and he gets a gig on that. But then again, so did sevvy, so go figure.

razaar
19th October 2009, 10:23 PM
Keep it simple and natural is best with the driver. If you are new to the game it is best to play the driver slightly ahead of centre (just to the left of your left ear for a righty) this will allow you to achieve a full turn of the shoulders and have a clear view of the ball without leaning to the left. Your body is aligned parrallel to the ball target line, this includes the shoulders, hips, knees and feet with the right elbow lower and closer to the body than the left elbow. Dropping the right elbow squares up the shoulder alignment.
Now imagine a spoke (of a wheel) from the ball to the little bone crevice at the base of your neck. That crevice is the hub of the wheel that lies on an angle in line with the ball/target line. When you swing the club, the clubhead runs on the imaginery rim of the wheel ( which is referred to as the plane of the swing). If you maintain the hub in its pivot position while keeping the clubhead on plane from start to finish, there is a very good chance that you will hit a good shot.
If the shot starts off left or right you have managed to get the clubhead off plane. Likewise if the face is left open or closed (is oblique to the path of the clubhead through impact) the clubhead has moved off plane for that swing.

markTHEblake
19th October 2009, 10:27 PM
I have summarised Razaars lesson into one simple picture, so its easier to take in.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2927/golfswingsimple.jpg

adlo
19th October 2009, 10:34 PM
:lol:

Gold

Ferrins
19th October 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm more comfortable with 1.4 seconds of thought so I must be swinging too fast or too compact or...what was that middle thing?

ParMaster
19th October 2009, 11:01 PM
Jack Nicklaus has a flying right elbow, and so did Eamonn Darcy.
Admittedly Jack won a few more tournaments than Eamonn.

I also have a flying right elbow. I just can't possibly see how you can swing the club to parallel without doing so..:roll:

idgolfguy
19th October 2009, 11:21 PM
Don't drink and drive, don't even putt!

In the Hole
20th October 2009, 05:50 PM

tried that today at the range courty and had quite good results and thats back with my oversize driver...see how we go sunday comp..I'll post my results:wink:

Jarro
20th October 2009, 06:52 PM
Try gripping down an inch or so on your driver and swing like you're swinging a 7 iron.

Minor_Threat
20th October 2009, 06:58 PM
Love it MTB.. :D

ParMaster
20th October 2009, 07:03 PM
:lol:

Awesome mark. :mrgreen:

3oneday
20th October 2009, 07:04 PM
Buy a new driver

In the Hole
20th October 2009, 07:25 PM
Buy a new driver
sheesh, wish it was that easy my friend, Im onto my fourth:smt087

Spider Lover
20th October 2009, 07:33 PM
Good one MTB. I reckon I've covered them and more in a swing! Hurts just looking at it.

In the Hole - Don't just buy a new driver. Buy a Callaway. 300+m and straight everytime......sometimes.

In all seriousness mate. I am in the same boat as you. Bad driving is costing me at least 4+ shots a round. Might try the headcover drill too. Will be interested to hear how you go on Sunday. Good luck.

In the Hole
20th October 2009, 07:53 PM
Good one MTB. I reckon I've covered them and more in a swing! Hurts just looking at it.

In the Hole - Don't just buy a new driver. Buy a Callaway. 300+m and straight everytime......sometimes.

In all seriousness mate. I am in the same boat as you. Bad driving is costing me at least 4+ shots a round. Might try the headcover drill too. Will be interested to hear how you go on Sunday. Good luck.

yep, on a good driving day I can be 38-41 pts.....on an all too often inconsistent day 27-31...there's been a couple of good tips, c how I go

3oneday
20th October 2009, 07:53 PM
sheesh, wish it was that easy my friend, Im onto my fourth:smt087

Only been playing a month then ???

Courty
20th October 2009, 08:42 PM
tried that today at the range courty and had quite good results and thats back with my oversize driver...see how we go sunday comp..I'll post my results:wink:

I think the going rate for lessons is about $100. ;)

In the Hole
25th October 2009, 11:49 AM
37pts today, thanks courty, definitely straightened me up some, only two real howlers off the tee...left 3 or 4 putts out there , should have been 39-40pts...should win a ball though, gotta be happy with that 8-)

Fishman Dan
25th October 2009, 11:55 AM
Stick to the left hand side of the road.

Courty
25th October 2009, 03:22 PM
Nice work, ITH. The bill is in the mail. ;)

IanO
28th October 2009, 11:37 PM
Hang on, isn't that always the answer? Buy a new (something) to fix whatever the golf problem is :mrgreen:

mike
29th October 2009, 12:18 AM
Use Vision balls.