PDA

View Full Version : Port Fairy Golf Club

Ferrins
18th October 2009, 09:43 AM
Anyone played this course?

Andrew
18th October 2009, 09:46 AM
I absolutely love Port Fairy. A lovely traditional seaside golf course with friendly members near a nice little town. Just the sort of thing I go for.

Ferrins
18th October 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking of buying a place down there.

LarryLong
18th October 2009, 11:25 AM
Played there around 6 months ago. Fantastic track, and a really nice spot too. Golf course itself is very well done and in good nick, and the setting is picture perfect. I'll dig up some photos for you if I can find them.

Membership is quite cheap too if you're getting a place down there. If I was half an hour closer I'd be a country member there in a heartbeat.

Moe Norman
18th October 2009, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking of buying a place down there.
you're a lucky bastard then.

Great track

Webster
18th October 2009, 04:27 PM
good country course. A few weak holes but otherwise very enjoyable.

Rufus T Firefly
18th October 2009, 07:14 PM
Yep great spot and awesome golf course

Golfnut
18th October 2009, 08:29 PM
Holiday'd down there a few years back (pre-golf days unfortunately) and really fell in love with the place....considered for a minute, packing up and living there, if I had've been into golf then and played the course I think it would have been a done deal.

In the Hole
18th October 2009, 10:01 PM
good part of the world down there, fair drive from melbourne to do it on a reg basis is only down side..unless of course you're taking a chopper:)

andigold
18th October 2009, 11:13 PM
good country course. A few weak holes but otherwise very enjoyable.

I thought at least half the holes were bog standard, even the magnificent stretch from 12 to 16 are pretty ordinary holes in an extraordinary setting. I like the course and for 25 bucks it's good value but the adulation it gets is a little overstated I reckon.

adlo
19th October 2009, 03:02 AM
Looks like a fun course.

These pics look good. (http://www.thegolfforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1622&hl=port+fairy)

Ferrins
19th October 2009, 07:33 AM
I thought at least half the holes were bog standard, even the magnificent stretch from 12 to 16 are pretty ordinary holes in an extraordinary setting. I like the course and for 25 bucks it's good value but the adulation it gets is a little overstated I reckon.
Maybe the challenge is weather dependent.

Ferrins
2nd August 2015, 05:03 PM
Going back for another hit following the SA Champs will play the comp on Wednesday Nov 18 and then play social Thursday and Friday.

LoveGolf2012
2nd August 2015, 05:10 PM
I'm heading up their next weekend.First time playing it,really looking forward to it.Mates parents live their,so added bonus!

thecollective
2nd August 2015, 05:17 PM
Ferrins; best to head there via Millicent & Mt Gambier and definately worth a stop at one or both courses.

with completion of the current renos at Mt Gambier its my opinion that this course will enter the top 100

TC

Ferrins
2nd August 2015, 05:31 PM
I am planning to either stay around Adelaide and then drive back toTenterfield or work my way from Adelaide to Hobart.

Lagerlover
8th August 2015, 05:37 AM
Naracoorte

Hatchman
8th August 2015, 11:04 AM
Naracoorte

Very good course and layout.
Undefeated there in multiple trips Riverland v South East juniors [emoji3]

Lagerlover
8th August 2015, 03:18 PM
Yep.. Favourite South East course.

Attamurra was always in good nick. Hopefully they've flattened out the first fairway.

LoveGolf2012
9th August 2015, 07:46 PM
Played Port Fairy today,thought I'd share some pics.Greens were great just so damn windy..36654

LoveGolf2012
9th August 2015, 07:48 PM

Ferrins
9th August 2015, 07:58 PM
No white caps.

LoveGolf2012
9th August 2015, 08:25 PM
No white caps.

On the other page their were a few..

LeftyHoges
10th August 2015, 02:54 PM
Yep.. Favourite South East course.

Attamurra was always in good nick. Hopefully they've flattened out the first fairway.

Not Millicent?

There's housing all the way down the left now. Perfect landing zone for a LeftyHoges block-fade. :smt087 :smt087 :smt087

Lagerlover
10th August 2015, 03:20 PM
Haven't played Millicent for 18 years Lefty.

The jewel of the South East late 80's - early 90's, staff change killed it back then.

My returns to SA see me around Naracoorte, Keith, Bordertown and Kingston these days.. with Naracoorte being the favourite.

Will make the drive to Millicent and the Mount next visit on Hatch and your recommendation..

thecollective
10th August 2015, 03:35 PM

Lager: they have changed the tee to back left so it cuts across the fairway; it has made the hole better but still one of the worst on the course.

The home stretch 12-18 has some really interesting and memorable holes on a great patch of undulating land that runs parallel to the forest next door. IMO it is a better course than Naracoorte.

TC

Lagerlover
10th August 2015, 03:44 PM
Until Hatch posted that pic with rope running down the fairway at Mt Barker??, I didn't realise golf clubs dared to go against stupid planning...it was a Crafter course for memory.

The rope is exactly what Attamurra should've had. The slope on the fairway made it almost impossible to keep it up the left...pause for the mandatory shanks post.

Unfortunatley you always remember the first and the last hole of any course, and they would've lost a lot of travelling golfers just in that one hole.

We'll have to meet up for a game down there TC, payback for the massive road trip I had to endure with 3pp to see you.

thecollective
10th August 2015, 03:49 PM
Until Hatch posted that pic with rope running down the fairway, I didn't realise golf clubs dared to go against stupid planning...Crafters for memory.

The rope is exactly what Attamurra needed. The slope on the fairway made it almost impossible to keep it up the left...pause for the mandatory shanks post.

Such a shame they haven't done more, you always remember the first and the last hole of any course.

We'll have to meet up for a game down there TC, payback for the massive road trip I had to endure with 3pp to see you.

Plus enjoy one of the best steaks in oz afterwards :wink:

Lagerlover
10th August 2015, 03:51 PM
The Barn??

thecollective
10th August 2015, 03:56 PM
The Barn??

spot on

wazamac
10th August 2015, 04:17 PM
Haven't played Millicent for 18 years Lefty.

The jewel of the South East late 80's - early 90's, staff change killed it back then.

My returns to SA see me around Naracoorte, Keith, Bordertown and Kingston these days.. with Naracoorte being the favourite.

Will make the drive to Millicent and the Mount next visit on Hatch and your recommendation..

I am maybe looking at going to Bordertown open next year. I think they hold it around March.
Will have to keep an eye open for it.

thecollective
10th August 2015, 04:27 PM
Waza: as per our yarn last night; I would head to Horsham straight after BT, then drive to Port Fairy, then Mt Gambier, Naracoorte and/or Millicent then home.

that would make one enjoyable golf trip

TC

Lagerlover
10th August 2015, 04:28 PM
spot on

Haha,

Saw Jo Calamari there once. $90 worth of jugs of CC (no glasses in those days)... slightly watered down perhaps?

Good to see they're still going strong.

LeftyHoges
10th August 2015, 04:30 PM
Waza: as per our yarn last night; I would head to Horsham straight after BT, then drive to Port Fairy, then Mt Gambier, Naracoorte and/or Millicent then home.

that would make one enjoyable golf trip

TC

Horsham is dog shit since the fires went through. That course is so much worse now.

thecollective
10th August 2015, 04:32 PM
Horsham is dog shit since the fires went through. That course is so much worse now.

each to their own

Lagerlover
10th August 2015, 04:36 PM
I am maybe looking at going to Bordertown open next year. I think they hold it around March.
Will have to keep an eye open for it.

Keep me posted, just in case we can organise a family catchup. Will have a swag 10 mins away if needed.

They have on course power for caravan / campers spots too.

Lagerlover
10th August 2015, 04:38 PM
apologies for thread jack..

Hatchman
13th August 2015, 12:21 PM
Until Hatch posted that pic with rope running down the fairway at Mt Barker??, I didn't realise golf clubs dared to go against stupid planning...it was a Crafter course for memory.

The rope is exactly what Attamurra should've had. The slope on the fairway made it almost impossible to keep it up the left...pause for the mandatory shanks post.

Unfortunatley you always remember the first and the last hole of any course, and they would've lost a lot of travelling golfers just in that one hole.

Rope pic was the 16th at Blackwood and the only silly sloped fairway on the course.

markTHEblake
13th August 2015, 12:52 PM
apologies for thread jack.. Jacks not here ?

Ferrins
27th September 2015, 08:20 AM
Looking at coming through early January then driving on to Adelaide and back to Tenterfield.

Ferrins
30th October 2015, 08:01 PM
Looking at being there for a week from 30th Dec, that is if we can find somewhere to stay that is not a zillian dollars.

benno_r
30th October 2015, 08:27 PM
Looking at being there for a week from 30th Dec, that is if we can find somewhere to stay that is not a zillian dollars.

In your boat on the trailer would be free, wouldn't it?

LeftyHoges
30th October 2015, 08:30 PM

Pack a tent and stay in Yambuk.

cratcliffe
31st October 2015, 03:24 PM
My home track, so if want to have a hit let me know
Stroke event today, 35k NE winds, hardest wind direction for the layout, and yes the course won!

Ferrins
31st October 2015, 04:23 PM
Changed plans as Port Fairy accomadation was a rip. But might be doing a road trip from Melbourne the week before new years.

thecollective
31st October 2015, 06:25 PM
Changed plans as Port Fairy accomadation was a rip. But might be doing a road trip from Melbourne the week before new years.

Ferrins: have you tried surrounding suburbs; Warrnambool, Koroit?

TC

Ferrins
31st October 2015, 06:28 PM
I have already paid for the ferry to Tassy.

cratcliffe
31st October 2015, 07:09 PM
My back yard is vacant, $100 per night is about the going rate :shock:

thecollective
31st October 2015, 07:20 PM
I have already paid for the ferry to Tassy.

well that's f**ked the thread up then hasn't it

TC

Ferrins
31st October 2015, 07:23 PM
My back yard is vacant, $100 per night is about the going rate :shock:

$100 to park it in your backyard, hope you workout.😀

cratcliffe
31st October 2015, 08:38 PM
$100 to park it in your backyard, hope you workout.😀
I best start increasing my squat workouts!