PDA

View Full Version : Putting

tommy
15th October 2009, 11:17 PM
hi all,

For some reason, i find putting to be the hardest part of my game. is this common with everyone?

say for a par 4, i get to the green in 4-5 shots. then spend 3-4 on the green :cry:.
any tips, links, videos, books etc i can look at to help me improve this my putting. i know practice practice practice is the key buti've been practising and haven't improved at all.

thanks

Ned
15th October 2009, 11:19 PM
:roll:

tommy
15th October 2009, 11:24 PM
B-)

zacdullard
15th October 2009, 11:32 PM
Dip your putter in honey. Other than that practice is the only thing that will help you.

tommy
15th October 2009, 11:55 PM
yes i know, but it just lets me down.
oh well i gues il just practice practise and practise.

adlo
16th October 2009, 12:27 AM
What do you struggle with?

Distance? Picking the right line? Short putts?

Are you nervous or tense over the ball?

Have you ever had anyone look at your putting stroke?

razaar
16th October 2009, 08:20 AM
Tommy, buy 2 X 5.50mm X 35 cm steel knitting needles (pony) and 5 or 6 metres of string line. Tie the string line to the tops of the needles. Set this arrangement up on a practice putting green over a flat part of the green. Use a tee or two under the string instead of the hole. Mark a straight line on a few golf balls which are then lined up vertically under the stringline at the target tee/s. Set up over the string line and putt each ball with your eyes directly over the stringline and the line on the ball and the putter head at 90 degrees to both. Try to keep the top line of the putter square to the string line coming into the ball and past the ball. You may find that this requires the putterhead to move inside the stringline on the takeaway and level with the stringline on the through swing. This is very important as the ball will only startoff where the face of the putter is aiming at the point of impact. This is the least expensive way that I know of to develop a putting stroke that will work.

Ferrins
16th October 2009, 08:33 AM
Most blokes who take 4-5 shots to get to a green on a par four will have a collection of knitting needles. Why don't we organize a swap meet. I love the long thin ones with the larger knob.

razaar
16th October 2009, 08:46 AM
Most blokes who take 4-5 shots to get to a green on a par four will have a collection of knitting needles. Why don't we organize a swap meet. I love the long thin ones with the larger knob.
Play Honma blades:)

zigwah
16th October 2009, 08:48 AM
Two practice putts halfway to the hole and then putt the ball to the hole, works well for me,

markTHEblake
16th October 2009, 09:32 AM
A big part of putting is mental, so here is a drill that helps that immensely.

Go to the practice putting green, measure out a distance of 3 feet (standard putter length)

Keep practising until you can hole 100 putts of that distance in a row (bring a cut lunch with you)

once you are able to do that or at least get a significant run going, you will find your putting will improve out of sight.

Ferrins
16th October 2009, 09:36 AM
ditto

Andrew_S
16th October 2009, 09:37 AM
How aggressive are you with your putts? For example, are you trying to hole every putt, including monsters, only to see them miss by a mile, giving you a more difficult follow up shot? I know that story.

The pros make long putts looks easy, but let's be realistic, amateurs don't drain those putts week in and week out. Best to try to set yourself up for a 2-putt.

For example, you might consider aiming for a larger area around the hole instead of the hole itself. Visualise the general area you want the ball to stop, say within 2 metres of the hole (to start with) then try your best to put the ball there. It will leave you with a much easier follow up shot. I realise it's basically a more conservative approach to putting, but when it comes to recreational golf, conservative will typically win every time. An unspectacular (but solid) round with 2 putts instead of 3 or 4 putts will shave a lot of strokes off your game in a very short amount of time.

However, if you're having trouble with technique (and therefore consistency), then it is going to be difficult to advise without further information. Consider starting with some online videos. Who knows, they might even help you get to the green in fewer shots over time.

I might add, there's no point in practice if you're practicing the wrong thing. Then there's always lessons to consider if you really aren't getting anywhere.

Just my experience, hopefully it helps.

AndyP
16th October 2009, 09:45 AM
I'll have to disagree with Andrew S. Making your target larger could make your miss larger.

dhills2
16th October 2009, 10:32 AM
Also have to respectfully disagree with you Andrew... though Lefty focuses on his 3ft circle from long range (according to his DVD) so you're not necessarily in bad company. I found Bob Rotella's books useful when I was really struggling with my putting. It takes the focus away from technique and gets you focussing on the target and relying on feel. There are some pretty handy drills & interesting stories in there as well. I was particularly surprised how well I could putt whilst looking at the hole instead of the ball... I think I went 18 holes without a 3-putt. All I remember was how good my lag putts were that day.

Pieface
16th October 2009, 12:41 PM
I have got good improvement with the following drills.

Take 6 balls, ideally the same so you get a feel for them. Find a practice hole with no sideways break and preferably slightly uphill. Place your six balls in a line at 30cm intervals so your last ball is a six foot putt. Start at the closest ball and only move back when you hole the putt. If you miss replace all the balls and begin again. I usually try to hole all 6 in a row twice before moving on.

Moving on you can either move your line to introduce sideways break or a downhill approach. I usually try to do uphill, downhill, left break and right break. If I'm feeling really adventurous I will have a crack at breaking downhill etc.

I then go back to the slight uphill and play a game from 4-5m away. You hit up your six balls to the hole. In the hole is 6 points, a semi circle arc the length of my putter behind the hole is 3 points and anything short or too sideways/long is -3. Ideally you want to score 21 points or more - 1 holed and the other 5 in range.

I play the same game at 8-12m but give myself a whole putter length circle around the hole to score 3 points.

Then I usually try a few as long as I can make them on the practice green but I don't keep score. In my head I give myself a pat on the back if I can get it to 4 feet generally.

My #1 tip though is to stop practicing if you lose concentration. Go and hit some chips or something. Just hitting the balls without focus is not going to help at all.

Got these tips from the local pro and they have helped me.

TourFit
16th October 2009, 02:28 PM
And it shows...your putting is sound for an inexperienced golfer on a high handicap. You've done REALLY well in that Dep't.

Ferrins
16th October 2009, 03:57 PM
Got a love hate with this drill but it is a good one.

Drawback

Played over 18 holes of various lengths on practice green. Go for the putt and if you miss then draw the putt back one club length and go again. Keep your total for 18 holes with par being 36.

SeldomEagles
16th October 2009, 04:08 PM
If you want to practise indoors at home just tie the string line to a couple of wine bottles if you dont' want to stab holes in the carpet with knitting needles

razaar
16th October 2009, 04:25 PM
If you want to practise indoors at home just tie the string line to a couple of wine bottles if you dont' want to stab holes in the carpet with knitting needles
or the legs of two chairs; remember to put everything back when finished.:wink:

TourFit
16th October 2009, 04:39 PM

Great idea...start with full bottles and everytime you miss one take a swig (I wonder if the putting will improve as the game progresses!!)

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Could be a great way to spend a Friday night at home when the missus is out with the girls.

tommy
16th October 2009, 06:10 PM
hehe, thanks for the helpful & funny comments guys,
i will take some of your tips into consideration and hopefully improve my putting.
as for the wine bottle tactic i think ill pass :P

will update my progress..

thanks