PDA

View Full Version : US retailers dont care about Aussies

Sketch
11th October 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi thought I woud get the post count moving, not sure if this is in the right area but this is just my observation.

The US retailers that ship to Australia do not care about our business, they charge rediculous shipping on everything, yet they have no incentive for you to spend more.

I make this comparison with the online cycling retailers in the UK (for those that dont know, local gear is a ripoff like golf gear, tyres is AUS >$90 ea in the UK $40 odd dollars). These retailers have a free shipping incentive where if you spend over a certain amount you receive free shipping on everything. Hence there is competition for our business

If a US retailer had this option they, in my opinion would dominate the export market, as if you could spend over 250US you receive free shipping for me it wolud definitely be a defining factor

So my question to you is, would this encourage you to spend more, and would make this retailer your one stop shop? or are you more concerned with the fact that you can get the gear cheaper, and the $50 odd dollar shipping fee just a small price to pay for the overall outcome?

3oneday
11th October 2009, 08:40 PM
As far as I am aware the guys in the USA are usually not paid a wage, they are mostly commission base. So I doubt they'll give away their salary.

In my limited experience, if someone doesn't buy because of shipping costs, the next bloke probably will.

DracZ
11th October 2009, 08:44 PM
In addition - what percentage of their sales do you really think is made up of international buyers? Plus the $50~ USD they'll be giving away in free-shipping would be eating into their profits tremendously. No retailer looking to stay in business would bother with that sort of practice.

PeteyD
11th October 2009, 08:46 PM
How big do you think the market here is compared to the US. I am surprised that any of them bother at all.

zigwah
11th October 2009, 08:46 PM
except 3 balls on callaway iron sets atm

Jon
11th October 2009, 08:50 PM
Why would they care about a pissant little market like Aust, a lot of em wont even ship overseas, its just a pain in the backside to them and involves quite a bit of extra work.
Having said that, I buy from the US pretty regularly and find shipping rates to be fair and the companies I deal with very professional.
\When push comes to shove its your choice, no ones forcing you to deal with em, buy Australian instead.

armygolf
11th October 2009, 08:56 PM
How big do you think the market here is compared to the US. I am surprised that any of them bother at all.

Very good point Pete. 300 million compared to 22 million. Where are you going to invest your company?

ParMaster
11th October 2009, 09:01 PM
I just recently purchased a book from the US and they wanted 32 bucks shipping.

Thats way too much.

Daves
11th October 2009, 09:06 PM

Thats way too much.

I bought 3 books from the Book Depository in the UK recently and they shipped them for free. On top of that the cost was half the price of the same books in bookstores here.

Agree with others, shipping costs from the US are generally fair. Best to bulk or group order if you can, but watch the customs duty/GST free limit(s).

markTHEblake
11th October 2009, 09:31 PM
Try shipping something from here back to them.
Last week i shipped 1.1kg small package to Hong Kong and $43 was the cheapest option.

Jon
11th October 2009, 09:45 PM

Thats way too much.
Who was the company Par? I buy books from Amazon pretty regularly and don't pay anything like that, they charge US$4.99 to ship a book or CD/DVD to Aust and have the largest catalogue I'm aware of.
Excellent people to deal with.

TheTrueReview
11th October 2009, 10:09 PM
Sketch, when I read the title "US retailers dont care about Aussies", I wondered what the fuss was about. Our market is an eye drop in the ocean. Always has been & with our comparatively small population, always will be. Fact of life unfortunately.

adlo
12th October 2009, 02:28 AM
Try shipping something from here back to them.
Last week i shipped 1.1kg small package to Hong Kong and $43 was the cheapest option.
Got to agree here, Aust Post is a bloody rip off.

Jon
12th October 2009, 08:08 AM
Got to agree here, Aust Post is a bloody rip off.
No argument from me on that one.

Rusty
13th October 2009, 01:26 PM
I bought 3 books from the Book Depository in the UK recently and they shipped them for free.

ah, nice website find. bookmarked.

Captain Nemo
13th October 2009, 03:19 PM
Hi thought I woud get the post count moving, not sure if this is in the right area but this is just my observation.

The US retailers that ship to Australia do not care about our business, they charge rediculous shipping on everything, yet they have no incentive for you to spend more.

I make this comparison with the online cycling retailers in the UK (for those that dont know, local gear is a ripoff like golf gear, tyres is AUS >$90 ea in the UK $40 odd dollars). These retailers have a free shipping incentive where if you spend over a certain amount you receive free shipping on everything. Hence there is competition for our business

If a US retailer had this option they, in my opinion would dominate the export market, as if you could spend over 250US you receive free shipping for me it wolud definitely be a defining factor

So my question to you is, would this encourage you to spend more, and would make this retailer your one stop shop? or are you more concerned with the fact that you can get the gear cheaper, and the $50 odd dollar shipping fee just a small price to pay for the overall outcome?

Mate, i'm with you.
Cycling stuff is heaps cheaper o/s and places like probikekit.com etc., shipping is rediculously cheap!

just
13th October 2009, 03:25 PM
ah, nice website find. bookmarked.
Rusty, I have used Book Depository for a couple of years. They are excellent.

Jon
13th October 2009, 03:33 PM
Haven't used em Just, how do they compare with Amazon?

just
13th October 2009, 03:37 PM
The books are cheaper generally, and they don't charge shipping. The only thing to note is that if you order more than one book, they don't always turn up together (i.e.they sometimes get sent separately, one book will turn up and then a day or two later the others will turn up). Never had a problem.

Yossarian
13th October 2009, 04:47 PM
+1 Very good.

kev
13th October 2009, 05:46 PM

Oh cr@p - they've got all the books I've been looking for - this could be expensive....

macjackass
13th October 2009, 05:59 PM
Why do so many people have trouble spelling the word ridiculous!! As for shipping, Edwin watts is always reasonable.

3oneday
13th October 2009, 06:16 PM
Rockbottom charged me $36 for 2 drivers, that's ridiculously cheap I reckon.

;)

Jon
13th October 2009, 06:22 PM
The books are cheaper generally, and they don't charge shipping. The only thing to note is that if you order more than one book, they don't always turn up together (i.e.they sometimes get sent separately, one book will turn up and then a day or two later the others will turn up). Never had a problem.
Same thing can happen with Amazon, no big deal.
Will certainly check them out.:smt023

Daves
13th October 2009, 06:27 PM

+1

Last order I bought 3 books, each was posted separately, 2 arrived one day the other a couple of days later??.

AndyP
13th October 2009, 06:49 PM
Book threadjackers!

Although they may not care about us, it is amazing how often it is cheaper to buy things from the US after including the postage.

Jon
13th October 2009, 06:50 PM
Hmmm, just did a quick comparison.

Tiger, How I play golf.
Amazon A$19.85 shipped.
BD A$39.18

Ben Hogan, Five lessons.
Amazon A$22.37
BD A$26.60.

Will check a few non golf related titles later.

Jon
13th October 2009, 06:54 PM
Book threadjackers!

Although they may not care about us, it is amazing how often it is cheaper to buy things from the US after including the postage.
Amazon are an exception, they seem to have geared their operation to include international trade, and yes, have found them substantially cheaper than Aussie retailers, same applies to CD's and DVD's.:lol:

In the Hole
17th October 2009, 10:42 PM

Thats way too much.
well once our $ exceeds there's it might be comparitively cheap:mrgreen:

ozdevil
22nd October 2009, 09:35 AM
It is no wonder why things are dear here In Australia as every tom dick and harry wish to to see our dollar head elsewhere other then Australia

Why should we be supporting someone elses economy... supporting your own even though it may be a bit more expensive then yankee land or pommyland or whereever

While you are sending your money over seas ya keeping jobs away from Australians and our money is supporting other countries...

just for the sake of getting something Australian

maybe prices may come down by supporting your own first... bit like charity begins at home

we have allowed to many foreign companies in Australia and we have allowed ourselves to give our hard earned to over seas countries to much

Australian businesses suffer from this and intern you suffer becuase australian businesses have to put up prices to be competitive...

I understand people wanting to get there goods cheap and getting things overseas can be cheap as chips for what we pay here for it.. but ya supporting someone elses economy before helping your own economy

henno
22nd October 2009, 09:45 AM
Remind me again, how many golf clubs are manufactured in Australia?

Jon
22nd October 2009, 09:48 AM
It's all imported anyway, all your doing is eliminating the middle man (importer and distributor) I've said it before, it's my money and I'll spend it wherever I choose.
When Aussie manufacturers start making quality products at competitive prices I'll start supporting them.;)

Jon
22nd October 2009, 09:49 AM
I think some guy makes very expensive putters Henno.:roll:

ozdevil
22nd October 2009, 09:52 AM

golf clubs may not be manufactured here but alot of things are not manufactured here

Maybe you will support that all businesses with in Australia go belly up and we all have to go on unemployment just becuase things are manufactured elsewhere and our dollars should support other countries

my point is keep our dollar in our own country and support our local businesses and keep jobs going for australians

Yossarian
22nd October 2009, 10:03 AM
golf clubs may not be manufactured here but alot of things are not manufactured here

Maybe you will support that all businesses with in Australia go belly up and we all have to go on unemployment just becuase things are manufactured elsewhere and our dollars should support other countries

my point is keep our dollar in our own country and support our local businesses and keep jobs going for australians

:-s You mean like dictionaries and books on grammar?

And what about Australians that have jobs in export/import. They need work to!

3oneday
22nd October 2009, 10:18 AM
If they go bellyup, we'll just import the stuff ourselves and open a shop ;)

henno
22nd October 2009, 10:19 AM
I work in the import business, but I also have to sell domestically produced products. However, we knowingly fight a battle to be competitive against imports. We spend a lot of time on contract negotiation in order to remain competitive. (ie. our bulk-buying power gives us a price advantage enough to add a margin and still be competitive).

Where are all of the price reductions in domestic golf club prices with the high AUD? They sure as heck raised them in a hurry when the dollar tanked, but they aren't so quick to drop them are they?

The point I'm making is that if little old me with as little as $150 can source a brand new driver for a third of the price of the same product locally, then something is up. Either the distributors are buying poorly, or they are selling with huge markups. Or maybe, just maybe, the impact of grey imports doesn't have that much of an effect on them. (i.e. Why drop the price of a callaway driver from $400 to $300 just to pick up the 1-in-30 sale from a guy like me).

Jon
22nd October 2009, 10:36 AM

The only businesses that will go belly up Oz are those that are not sustainable.
You continue to take the high moral ground, but the smart money will continue to chase the best deals/value whether they be in Aust or overseas.
Don't even get me started on service, the Aussies are so far behind the US in quality of service and shipping it's embarrassing.

Rusty
22nd October 2009, 11:10 AM
Hmmm, just did a quick comparison.

Tiger, How I play golf.
Amazon A$19.85 shipped.
BD A$39.18

Ben Hogan, Five lessons.
Amazon A$22.37
BD A$26.60.

if it helps anyone, i bought 9 books recently from amazon of various size and weight and found that a rough guide to include postage was multiply the US$ book price by 1.682. eg. book cost US$10 excluding postage is approx US$16.82 including postage. for me, most of these books were cheaper or same $A price as Book Depository. still pays to look though.

zigwah
22nd October 2009, 11:23 AM
Talking to a club fitter today, and he is hurting because of the dollar, i felt bad for him, but also said i'm all for keeping money in the town, but when it is 100's of dollars difference were talking about that money is better in my pocket.

I will however get him to put my new set together, well weigh everything and cut everything, i'll still glue the heads and put the grips on, i'm not a millionaire i save money where and when i can.

LarryLong
22nd October 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm with Henno on this. I'm all for shopping at the local wherever possible, but so many retail industries in Australia are taking the piss when it comes to markups. The golf industry is just one among many.

WBennett
22nd October 2009, 02:33 PM
I went to my local golf megastore the other day. All drivers, irons and hybrids were at least twice the price that I can score them from myself. Their service is non-existant, so why would I shop there?

Today I went to Rebel Sport to check out shoes - I wear Asics kayano's for running to fix other issues up. Even knowing the store manager and getting a 20% discount, I could get them for approx $215. I checked on ebay this morning - exact same thing delivered for $160 Aus from the States. Now $50 in my pocket is better than $50 in Gerry Harvey's (or whoever now owns Rebel) pocket.

Now these shoes have been $250-$270 for a long time no matter what else is happening in the economy - with the Aud going up, surely they should be coming down in price?

Jon
22nd October 2009, 05:01 PM
I went to my local golf megastore the other day. All drivers, irons and hybrids were at least twice the price that I can score them from myself. Their service is non-existant, so why would I shop there?

Today I went to Rebel Sport to check out shoes - I wear Asics kayano's for running to fix other issues up. Even knowing the store manager and getting a 20% discount, I could get them for approx $215. I checked on ebay this morning - exact same thing delivered for $160 Aus from the States. Now $50 in my pocket is better than $50 in Gerry Harvey's (or whoever now owns Rebel) pocket.

Now these shoes have been $250-$270 for a long time no matter what else is happening in the economy - with the Aud going up, surely they should be coming down in price?
To quote the Fev (that's what I'm talkin about) the only retailer I'd buy gear from is the Pro at Kooyonga, great service and he's not greedy.

ozdevil
22nd October 2009, 09:38 PM
I am not taking the high moral ground...I personelly like to shop with in Australia and buy australian where Possible with in Australia thats just me

I understand everyone has their own right to shop anywhere they like and with who ever they want...

The thing is it is frustrating shopping with in Australia as service is getting shocking...

I wont say i dont do my research online and see what is about overseas etc but i usually know what i want and i know what the product is going to do for me when i shop in Australia and i just use the salesperson just for the point of sale.. if they havent got a product i want i give them a chance to get it in.. if they say they can't i will go elsewhere

maybe 1 day i might even shop overseas

3oneday
22nd October 2009, 09:42 PM
That's personally.

;)

adlo
22nd October 2009, 09:45 PM
http://ladjevic.com/dusan/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/michael-jackson-they-dont-care-ab-349836.jpg

Jon
23rd October 2009, 12:52 AM
I am not taking the high moral ground...I personelly like to shop with in Australia and buy australian where Possible with in Australia thats just me

I understand everyone has their own right to shop anywhere they like and with who ever they want...

The thing is it is frustrating shopping with in Australia as service is getting shocking...

I wont say i dont do my research online and see what is about overseas etc but i usually know what i want and i know what the product is going to do for me when i shop in Australia and i just use the salesperson just for the point of sale.. if they havent got a product i want i give them a chance to get it in.. if they say they can't i will go elsewhere

maybe 1 day i might even shop overseas
I hear what you say Oz, every thing being equal I would certainly prefer to buy locally, sadly when it comes to prices and service there is a decided incentive to buy offshore.
To each his own.:lol: