PDA

View Full Version : Condition of SEQ courses?

TheTrueReview
11th October 2009, 08:09 AM
I've noticed that South-East Qld hasn't had rain for a while. When I played Middle Ridge Toowoomba on Friday, I noticed that the fairways were suffering in what is usually a lush course.

I was just wondering the condition of the other SEQ courses that the members here play?

Topper4000
11th October 2009, 08:18 AM
The Brisbane golf course is in great nick, the poa is just starting to burn off the greens though because of the heat, the grounds men are doing a top job.

fiona
11th October 2009, 08:18 AM
I've noticed that Logan is in its usually dry state.

PeteyD
11th October 2009, 08:22 AM
Toowoomba is in a savage drought still, the dams are almost empty. Courses in Brisbane are in better condition than they were during the drought.

razaar
11th October 2009, 09:29 AM
The Brisbane golf course is in great nick, the poa is just starting to burn off the greens though because of the heat, the grounds men are doing a top job.
If they were doing a great job there would be no need for poa trivialis to be oversown in the first place. Superintendents love poa, it gives them little to do with the greens during winter and hides all sorts of problems that may exist with the bermuda. There should be no need for poa oversowing in Brisbane's climate - we only get two really cold weeks in the year. There is also the issue that the density of the bermuda made be reduced in having two competing grasses, even if the bermuda is dormant for a period. Another issue is the extended period of the spring renovation while the poa dies and the bermuda re-establishes itself.

Daves
11th October 2009, 10:06 AM
Courses holding condition so far, but if no rain in the next couple of weeks they will start to lose it. Most are about to do their half yearly renovations, so a couple of inches would do wonders.

Hux
11th October 2009, 12:03 PM
Keperra - cored green roughly 2 weeks ago - really overdue. Fairways very dry with no ground moisture. Last played just after the dust storms which really seemed to punish it. Hopefully they have enough water to put on the course.

Oxley - cored greens last Tuesday. Fairways still good but showing a bit of a lack of ground moisture. Still have water in the dams. Generally speaking apart from greens in good condition.

Bribie Island - cored greens last week. Fairways good to excellent - some work on tees to ensure they comply with the new requirements for the new hcp system. Still good ground moisture no doubt to the fact they have zero water restrictions due to the high water table.

gazgolf1
11th October 2009, 02:13 PM
Nudgee= dry, greens on the South course were crusty and bumpy today, coring this week.

markTHEblake
11th October 2009, 04:04 PM
Helensvale is still dry, and still suffering from the floods of last year, where we had something like 180 days of no or very limited golf.

The good thing though is that since there has been no rain, the greens staff are not 100% occupied with flood repair and have been making good progress with repairs and upgrades. Still a lot of bare patches but at least its a work in progress, we cant do 18 holes at a time!

Tex
11th October 2009, 05:11 PM
Had about an inch of rain here today - Rochedale, just after I hung out the washing, lets hope it falls on some of the courses around the Sth East...

TheTrueReview
11th October 2009, 06:58 PM
I shouldn't have started this thread because the rain gods dumped on me after 2 rounds at Emerald Lakes this afternoon. Not that the course needed it. Other than some GUR spots, the fairways are nice & lush.

markTHEblake
11th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Well they do have plenty of their own water and they seeded Kikuyu a few years ago - should have almost taken over completely by now i guess.

Daves
11th October 2009, 07:11 PM
Had about an inch of rain here today - Rochedale, just after I hung out the washing, lets hope it falls on some of the courses around the Sth East...

Barely wet the ground out at Cleveland:cry:

PeteyD
11th October 2009, 07:42 PM
We had a fair bit here, south of you Daves.

Topper4000
11th October 2009, 07:48 PM
If they were doing a great job there would be no need for poa trivialis to be oversown in the first place. Superintendents love poa, it gives them little to do with the greens during winter and hides all sorts of problems that may exist with the bermuda. There should be no need for poa oversowing in Brisbane's climate - we only get two really cold weeks in the year. There is also the issue that the density of the bermuda made be reduced in having two competing grasses, even if the bermuda is dormant for a period. Another issue is the extended period of the spring renovation while the poa dies and the bermuda re-establishes itself.
Don't know if that’s a fair call, during winter they had the best greens in Brisbane, next to no grain. IMO
They are the best grounds men in my book, they let me tee it up off the tips and don't even raise an eye brow ten out of ten.

shazza_rs
11th October 2009, 09:09 PM
Toowoomba is on level 5 water restrictions and have been for the last 2-3 years. The water is used sparingly at Middle Ridge, tees and greens only. Fairways are left to their own devices. Having said that, they usually still have covering, even if it is a bit dead.

just
11th October 2009, 09:11 PM
As Gaz said, Nudgee is a bit dusty at the moment.

Daves
11th October 2009, 09:16 PM
We had a fair bit here, south of you Daves.

Good to hear Petey, we are often in a rain shadow here.

damoocow
11th October 2009, 09:51 PM
As Hux said, Keperra is very dry - fairways are so brown at the moment that on some of them you can feel the grass breaking as you walk. Greens will be OK in another week or two hopefully.

Played Wantima about 3 weeks ago and the greens were in pretty good nick and very easy to putt on - unfortunately when we got to the 10th tee we discovered we were in the middle of the field of the 9 hole comp hitting off on the 10th - great pro shop planning that...

sms316
12th October 2009, 08:08 AM
Would never happen at Keperra Damo. The staff there are far too professional for that.

sms316
12th October 2009, 08:09 AM
How is Wynnum these days? I'm playing there on Sunday in the Brisbane Mid-Amateur.

PeteyD
12th October 2009, 08:11 AM
I should play it on Friday if I don't pull up sore from Wednesday, will let you know.

Rusty
19th October 2009, 04:49 PM
i played the back 9 at Windaroo - mostly lush fairways, especially 10, 12 & 18. greens were good. bunkers - well, some are hard pan, as we know; but some have been redone with nice soft sand. was told greens won't be done until Jan. wouldn't hesitate to play there again (bit of a "ball muncher" of a course for me but).