PDA

View Full Version : Sydney - on a weekday - any day in the week starting 21 Feb

jimandr
7th February 2005, 09:14 PM
Whenever I get to enjoy my hard earned annual leave, I usually go down the PM route to arrange a game with my internet colleagues. This time, I'll throw the net a bit wider to see who else is available.

I'm going away to Port Macquarie (actually Laurieton, but close enough) next week, but the following week I'm free :) :D :lol: .

At worst, I'm hopeful those weekday layabouts Andrew and Grunt may be available, but I can play any day, and I'm prepared to play almost anywhere.

Any takers :?:

Andrew
7th February 2005, 10:47 PM
I'm on for Wednesday (Have to be earlyish - sorry mate) or Friday.

Grunt
8th February 2005, 07:51 AM
Thursday Or Friday for me Jim.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2005, 09:31 AM
Pending some upcoming work, i might be available but not sure right now. Got an all-nighter coming which *should* result in some lieu time.

Post the date/time and i'll confirm sometime soon. Any thoughts of location? Any preferences?

burger
9th February 2005, 12:22 PM
you could probably count me in too!

jimandr
9th February 2005, 09:52 PM
Lads (and anybody else reading)

At this early stage, I'm going to plan for both Wednesday 23 and Friday 25, and if one day doesn't work out the other is sure to be OK.

I will await some feedback, then make some phone calls and post some proposed times and places on Friday morning.

Grunt
10th February 2005, 08:03 PM
Sorry all

I wont be able to make golf at all that week. I am starting a licence course for work on Monday and it goes for 2 weeks finishing the Friday we were planning to play

Have fun.

jimandr
11th February 2005, 09:35 AM
A booking has been made for Friday 25 February, 8.52am at my home course, Camden Valley, for the following four players.

Jimandr
Fishman Dan
Andrew
Burger

Andrew may not be able to stay and collect the beers he wins off us, as he will need to leave by 2.30pm.

I tried to book for Wednesday 23rd at Cumberland, but they won't accept bookings from outsiders before next Thursday.

Obviously, if you can't play, post here. Someone else may be able to fill the vacancy.

I am now off the internet air until next Friday, enjoying rest and recreation at Laurieton, and possibly hacking around Port Macquarie and Camden Haven courses.

Fishman Dan
11th February 2005, 09:56 AM
A booking has been made for Friday 25 February, 8.52am at my home course, Camden Valley, for the following four players.

Jimandr
Fishman Dan
Andrew
Burger

Andrew may not be able to stay and collect the beers he wins off us, as he will need to leave by 2.30pm.

I tried to book for Wednesday 23rd at Cumberland, but they won't accept bookings from outsiders before next Thursday.

Obviously, if you can't play, post here. Someone else may be able to fill the vacancy.

I am now off the internet air until next Friday, enjoying rest and recreation at Laurieton, and possibly hacking around Port Macquarie and Camden Haven courses.

I'm very much in pencil - but thanks for arranging. I'll have to see how next week goes with potentially a few late ones. If anyone else in the meantime definately wants in, then take me off the list.

burger
14th February 2005, 05:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I feel bad about this, however I will have to pull out . . . .
I recently restarted comp tennis and my knees are REALLY giving me grief.

So a spot is vacant.

Jimandr
Fishman Dan
Andrew
- vacant -

Once again apologies for saying yes, yes, pick me and then pulling out. :(
hopefully my fitness and knees will improve, otherwise the tennis is getting the flick.

stu

jimandr
18th February 2005, 07:38 PM

That's the weakest excuse I've ever heard, particularly two weeks before the proposed golfing date. Is there a tennis forum where you use golf excuses for not playing :?: :twisted:

Not to worry, even if Dan can't play and we become a two player game.

Spots are still open, and if someone else wants to propose another game over the next week i'm available (although my golfing game is in tatters at the moment :!: )

Trung
19th February 2005, 01:51 AM

That's the weakest excuse I've ever heard, particularly two weeks before the proposed golfing date. Is there a tennis forum where you use golf excuses for not playing :?: :twisted:

Wait wait, add this one to the list :P .

Leave your name on there, and then the morning of the game...

Ring the proshop and tell them..."I slept in" :P :twisted:

Jono
19th February 2005, 09:18 PM

Jim? It's a little quiet in your corner ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

terryand
19th February 2005, 09:24 PM

Jim? It's a little quiet in your corner ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jono, do you sense that someone is carrying a little baggage around :wink:

Terry.

jimandr
20th February 2005, 08:11 PM
There are plenty of weaker excuses than "I slept in", and often people use them because they are too embarrassed or dishonest to admit the truth.

Nevertheless, I'm prepared to pay the penalty for my indiscretion for a while yet.

I'm a bit worried about making this 8.52am tee time :oops: Imagine the shame if I don't make this one :roll:

terryand
20th February 2005, 08:20 PM
There are plenty of weaker excuses than "I slept in", and often people use them because they are too embarrassed or dishonest to admit the truth.

Nevertheless, I'm prepared to pay the penalty for my indiscretion for a while yet.

I'm a bit worried about making this 8.52am tee time :oops: Imagine the shame if I don't make this one :roll:

Jim you should be OK as long as your not playing over up here :wink:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
20th February 2005, 08:55 PM
Guys, i'm 0% chance here. Big week at work and the mother-in-law in town mid-week.

Wish me luck :(

jimandr
22nd February 2005, 08:10 PM
An official decision has now been made. Once again my attempt to organise something has turned into a 2 player game. I have erased the names of Burger and Fishman to give the club a chance to fill the vacant spots, and give me a chance to embarrass myself in front of someone else I don't know.

Hopefully nobody will come out of the woodwork at the last minute looking for a game.

I hope Andrew plays well, and that I discover a cure that I didn't find today (see 'What did you shoot, if you are game).

Andrew
23rd February 2005, 01:57 PM
I'm there for you mate & will be doing my best.

I'll do what I normally do:
Drive the ball like someone off 2
Approach like someone off 9
Short game like an 18 marker
& putt like someone off a 27 hcp who only started playing last week.

If you can pick up the slack anywhere there we should go well. :lol:

jimandr
23rd February 2005, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure which golfer will turn up, the one from the golf course yesterday or the one from the practice fairway today, but here's my golf course game profile:

Drive like someone off 18
Approach like someone off 12 (or 36 if I shank it again)
Short game like someone off 8 or so
Putt like an 18

Not a good combo for someone off 6.

Fortunately it's always an individual with a fourball in conjunction so the team score won't matter much.

jimandr
25th February 2005, 07:18 PM
The game has been played.

I managed to wake up, and turn up on time, and enjoyed my day. Due to an incident I'm about to describe, I'm not sure whether Andrew will play with me again.

Scores: Jimandr 33pts, Andrew 30pts.

More details of my round will be decribed in "what did you shoot", but in short, I played a 'normal' round rather than the rubbish I've been playing recently, which is frustrating, but makes me fairly happy. Andrew demonstrated the weaknesses he described in an earlier post. Good driving, dodgy approaches, ordinary short game and bad putting. Some time with Dr Bob Rotella may not help, but couldn't hurt.

No doubt the lowlight of the round, and perhaps the golfing year to date, was an incident on the 18th (actually our 9th hole, as we were playing 10 to 27 on the 27 hole Camden Valley layout).

I hit an average to good drive straight down the middle. Andrew hit an average to good drive straight down the middle. He normally outhits me by 20 or more metres, so I didn't look twice before playing the first ball I reached. Andrew didn't look twice before playing the second ball, about 10 metres further.

Andrew looked twice (actually about 6 times) when he found a Titliest 4 in the bunker, as he was sure he was playing a Titliest 1. After a short search I looked at my ball on the edge of the green, finding Andrew's number 1 :oops: :oops:

It's a long walk back down the hill, so two glorious wipes made our sorry fourball score even worse. My penalty was effectively 3 shots, as I was on the green in reg on a hole I get a shot on.

What's even worse is that I have stolen Andrew's pencil (which didn't score very well anyway). Sorry about that.

Now I fully understand why people don't wish to play when I try to organise events. I don't blame you.

Andrew
25th February 2005, 11:14 PM
Damn! That pencil was my last asset. The bank is going to take my house & my kids will have to wear rags. :roll:

Grunt
28th February 2005, 10:03 PM
Dont worry jim I have lots of pencils :o

But do you really want to play with me again :lol:

jimandr
1st March 2005, 10:07 PM
Grunt,

You should have already worked out by the company I keep that I'm not proud. I'll play with anybody :lol: :!:

I'm still waiting for your Saturday invitation to Macarthur Grange :wink:

Sundays at Camden Valley seem to be a bit more relaxed as far as inviting guests are concerned. It used to be one Sunday a month, but they don't seem to be worrying about it. The comp doesn't start until about 11.00, but if you want a game, PM me.

I've normally got half a dozen Keno pencils in my bag, but I forgot that I had cleaned the bag out the previous day.

Grunt
2nd March 2005, 07:41 AM
Jim

No worries I am just trying to lift my game up to a greater level and thought that if I played as bad as I did at shellharbour you would not enjoy it.

I will try to see when I am off for a saturday next, Last Saturday's of the month are our monthly medal days with the course at it's toughest, most other weeks are stableford or par rounds with 2 ball in conjunction.

Also if more are interested, in a non medal round the comps are open to any visitors. We could have an ISG day there.