PDA

View Full Version : Launch Monitor Session

terryand
24th May 2004, 09:00 PM
Hey there all,thinkin of getting this second night off the ground after a few equiries from some of the boys.

Looking at Thursday night the 3rd of June from around 5.30 till we've had enough.

Let me know how this night sound,I thought it would be a good night to bribe the ladies with late night shopping,especially you woomba boys.

Probably lookin at a token $5 each to give something to the guy that own the monitor,for letting me use it.Also for this I will be able to send you a print out of the result of the session.

If anybody want to try anything in particular(woods,iron and wedges),let me know so I can arrange to have it there.

So let me know the number so we can split the time up evenly between who turns up.

Terry.

Eag's
24th May 2004, 09:39 PM
Yep I will be there mate :smt023
Missed out on the last one and Thur the 3rd suits me perfectly :D

markTHEblake
24th May 2004, 10:50 PM
I will see if i can get Doug to come along again.

Jarro
25th May 2004, 03:35 AM
i'll be there.

and i'd like you to bring along a driver that hits the ball dead straight every time, no matter what sort of a crappy swing i put on it :oops:

gazgolf1
25th May 2004, 05:08 AM
I'm in Tez. 8)

jaster
25th May 2004, 05:51 AM
I am going to try and make this, bribing the missus with Indooroopilly (spelling?) shopping 8) The car is playing up a little at the moment though so no guarantees :cry:

Goughy you can catch a lift if you are coming and we take the car :lol:

BrisVegas
25th May 2004, 07:38 AM
Count me in. Thanks Tez.

nudgee
25th May 2004, 12:13 PM
Count me in

andylo
25th May 2004, 12:15 PM
Me too

AndyP
25th May 2004, 11:21 PM
Not in Brissie. :(

senecio
26th May 2004, 06:52 AM
I'll give it a go.

It will give me chance to meet a few of you guys. Do you mind if I bring a friend along?

Ryan

terryand
26th May 2004, 09:10 AM
Not a problem Ryan.

Terry.

Jarro
26th May 2004, 10:35 AM
Tezza,

i might bring along a mate too if that's OK :?:

the guy you met in Golfworks 8)

terryand
26th May 2004, 10:40 AM
The more the merrier :smt023

Did I just say that :smt017 #-o

Oh well, I sure you guys won't think any worse of me than you alreadly do :smt012

Terry.

jaster
27th May 2004, 10:21 PM
I am in mate, trying to talk goughy into it but I am in :) 8)

Choppa
28th May 2004, 11:42 AM
Terry,

Sounds good. I think Gav (from Brooky) wants to come along too.

markTHEblake
31st May 2004, 10:04 PM
Terry, pls excuse the threadjack :-)

A few people have asked if Doug Kercher (PGA pro) is coming along to teach us how to hit a golf ball.

YES, please see thread http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97

what a great night this will be, Computers, technology, club swapping and best of all someone who knows how to swing a golf club - why dont they just come with instructions like everything else we buy?

Ona
31st May 2004, 10:57 PM
just so you know...

I feel obligated to put a curse on any and everyone who attends said night.

:evil: :x :? :( :cry: :cry:

AndyP
1st June 2004, 06:48 AM
just so you know...

I feel obligated to put a curse on any and everyone who attends said night.

:evil: :x :? :( :cry: :cry:
I'll second that curse. :evil: :cry:

Have a good night guys. :)

andylo
1st June 2004, 08:31 AM
Now I got confused!!

Ok, so we will have a launch monitor and Doug's couching session in the same place and same time (5:30)

But for the place, is it in Oxley or Carbrook?

Choppa
1st June 2004, 09:10 AM
I've been looking foward to finally getting down to either/both of these sessions....just have to work out where I'll actually be going. Where's is going to be - Oxley or Carbrook??? :?: :?:

AndyP
1st June 2004, 09:29 AM
Just assume it is at Carbrook. :wink: :twisted:

Is there even a driving range at Carbrook?

Jarro
1st June 2004, 09:35 AM
well the launchy session is on at OXLEY ... 100%

as for the DougK thingy .... who the hell knows :smt017

Iain
1st June 2004, 09:55 AM
I'll be there.... :smt023

BrisVegas
1st June 2004, 10:36 AM
OK, so Thursday night at Oxley then..... Looking forward to it.

If this is not the case, would whoever changed the venue please come by Oxley and pick me up and take me to Carbrook. Thanks! See you all there, or wherever!!

Choppa
1st June 2004, 11:48 AM
Cool. Oxbrook it is then, Friday night at the shooting range for driving lessons :?

Onewood
1st June 2004, 06:22 PM
Just assume it is at Carbrook. :wink: :twisted:

Is there even a driving range at Carbrook?

I was thinking the same thing :roll: is there a driving range at cabrook

I cant think where it is :?

terryand
1st June 2004, 06:43 PM
Don't worry, it is definately at Oxley driving range.

Blakey got his cordinates mixed up being from the flashy coast area :lol:

And I'm sorry to say Doug won't be coming to the session as I don't won't to Jeopardize the good relationship I have with the owners and the pros at the Oxley range.

One of the pros will be around to give any advise on clubs you might have and if you want a little one on one time,I'm sure he can accommodate you.

I will also have "Balance certified" there for you th try in your driver and putter.

Don't ask me now, just wait till Thursday, you will be surprised at the results what this will do for your driving :smt103

Terry.

jaster
1st June 2004, 06:47 PM
Don't worry, it is definately at Oxley driving range.

Blakey got his cordinates mixed up being from the flashy coast area :lol:

And I'm sorry to say Doug won't be coming to the session as I don't won't to Jeopardize the good relationship I have with the owners and the pros at the Oxley range.

One of the pros will be around to give any advise on clubs you might have and if you want a little one on one time,I'm sure he can accommodate you.

I will also have "Balance certified" there for you th try in your driver and putter.

Don't ask me now, just wait till Thursday, you will be surprised at the results what this will do for your driving :smt103

Terry.

No way am I cutting holes in the ends of my grips ;)

terryand
1st June 2004, 06:54 PM
Not even for 20 metres :smt115

Terry.

jaster
1st June 2004, 07:50 PM
HAHA...so now I'll be hitting them 300m instead on 280??? :shock:

terryand
1st June 2004, 08:02 PM
Jaster least then you can hit 3 iron to those par 5's and not 5 wood :smt118 :smt044

Terry.

jaster
1st June 2004, 08:10 PM
Jaster least then you can hit 3 iron to those par 5's and not 5 wood :smt118 :smt044

Terry. :smt008

markTHEblake
1st June 2004, 08:19 PM
For the record, Carbrook is pretty damn close to Oxley (if your coming from Melbourne) and I wouldnt have got lost cos i know where it is, just didnt know what it was called.

Now why go to all this trouble, whats wrong with using a peice of Chewy and some sinkers.

jaster
1st June 2004, 08:22 PM
Stop trying to worm out of it blakey ;) You trucked up :P

Golfgirl
1st June 2004, 08:27 PM
For the record, Carbrook is pretty damn close to Oxley (if your coming from Melbourne) and I wouldnt have got lost cos i know where it is, just didnt know what it was called.

Now why go to all this trouble, whats wrong with using a peice of Chewy and some sinkers.

Yeah, Blakey.... piece of chewy and some sinkers is pretty high tech... probably find some on a certain killer whale driver... :roll: :wink: :lol:

terryand
1st June 2004, 08:39 PM

Yeah, Blakey.... piece of chewy and some sinkers is pretty high tech... probably find some on a certain killer whale driver... :roll: :wink: :lol:

You go girl :smt043

Stick the boot in :smt047

Terry.

Golfgirl
1st June 2004, 08:44 PM
Hey hey hey...that was uncalled for !
And to think I always behave myself when I'm on this site....I don't know where all this hatred comes from ? :?

Sorry 69.... couldn't resist.... did I cross the line? :shock: :? :lol: :lol:

terryand
1st June 2004, 08:50 PM
GG your no where near the line :smt023

Particularly the one G69 has drawn in the sand :smt082

Terry.

terryand
1st June 2004, 08:57 PM
Cool what is it :?:

Terry.

Golfgirl
1st June 2004, 09:15 PM
My line is a lot further out then that GG ! 8)

Right... that's what I thought.... 8)

Love the new avatar.... :wink:

markTHEblake
1st June 2004, 09:15 PM
I might not make it to Car....OXLEY tomorrow night, but I need to collect the Shaft i bought off Jaster.

I am definitely coming to Brisbane Friday for Work. Will be near Wooloongabba (work) until 12.30pm, then i was going to go to Archerfield (GCI) and then going to Forestdale (work again) at 4pm.

Is there anybody that could take possession of the shaft that i could conveniently pick it up from you around 1.00pm? Or you could drop it off at GCI for me and i would love you forever - or if thats not OK i promise to never wear shorts.

(there is always an option to leave it at the driving range, BUT i would rather it be someone both Jaster and I know)

terryand
1st June 2004, 09:24 PM
I can do it for you Blakey and meet you at GCI.

Terry.

terryand
3rd June 2004, 10:35 AM
To avoid a logjam around the 6.00 too 6.30 mark, I will be set up at 5.00. If any early birds want come this early to ease the possible congestion,that would be great.

Thanks Terry.

andylo
3rd June 2004, 10:40 AM
Tezza, my dear collegue (the 983K owner) want to come as well, is that ok?

terryand
3rd June 2004, 10:44 AM
Sure is 8)

Terry.

Kee
3rd June 2004, 01:42 PM
This is a bit last minute, but I will be able to make it also :D .

terryand
3rd June 2004, 02:13 PM
Kee that will be fine.

Terry.

terryand
3rd June 2004, 02:15 PM
BTW, to all coming tonight, we will be up the far left hand end of the range.

Terry.

Jarro
3rd June 2004, 06:44 PM
so how'd it go :?:

can you post some results for us Tezza :wink:

gazgolf1
3rd June 2004, 07:03 PM

jarro,
Tez would still be there,I got home 5 mins ago.
Great fun 8) , Jaster was striping it,so was Mitchell. :shock:

Jarro
3rd June 2004, 07:10 PM

jarro,

how'd the R7 stack up Gaz :?:

BrisVegas
3rd June 2004, 07:45 PM
Great night! Thanks Tez for organising and providing techo gear and clubs galore for us all.. 8) 8)

The R7 was the star of the night it seems. Everyone seemed to be in awe of it's magical powers. :smt007 I hit it once (badly) and gave it back in case I got too attached. Iain's TP was a sweet piece of gear too :smt023

Jaster was the Gorilla King when I left, with a 115mph knock. Nudgee was still swinging, but had hit the tree off to the left 5 or 6 times already :D :P :P :D Not sure who else was still to come. I'm sure Tez will post all the stats here soon enough.

Catch ya's next time. :lol:

gazgolf1
3rd June 2004, 08:33 PM

jarro,

Iain tried to have sex with my R7 :oops:

Jarro
3rd June 2004, 08:58 PM

jarro,

better give it a wipe then Gaz :roll:

McMw
3rd June 2004, 09:01 PM
Jaster was the Gorilla King when I left, with a 115mph knock.

tha't just plain ol SCARY!!! :shock:

Eag's
3rd June 2004, 10:25 PM
Had a ball :D
Got to hit some top gear for once, and man what a difference :shock:
Thanks tezza for organising the launch session :smt023

jaster
3rd June 2004, 10:25 PM

jarro,

HAHAH...he really did to, saw him behind the tree that nudgee was knocking the branches off :P ;)

jaster
3rd June 2004, 10:33 PM
Jaster was the Gorilla King when I left, with a 115mph knock.

tha't just plain ol SCARY!!! :shock:

Pffft...that's with a sore neck and shoulder :wink:

Once Terry posts though it will be eye opening, my launch angle was 6-7° instead of 10-11°....reckons I am losing 10m or more :shock: Also ball spin was too low...under 3000 I think :? Funny thing is I am hitting this club (TP) longer and straighter than any club I ever hit!! Maybe I should get that 983k back :roll:

Onewood
4th June 2004, 06:07 AM
Good to catch up again guy's 8) always a pleasure and fun :P Mitch had a ball as well 8) thank you!!!

Tezza thanks for the night 8)

Jono
4th June 2004, 07:34 AM
Once Terry posts though it will be eye opening, my launch angle was 6-7° instead of 10-11°....reckons I am losing 10m or more :shock: Also ball spin was too low...under 3000 I think :? Funny thing is I am hitting this club (TP) longer and straighter than any club I ever hit!! Maybe I should get that 983k back :roll:

115 mph is fantastic! Love to see what you can crank it up to. :D BTW, just for comparison, a clubmaker in Sydney who did Pat Rafter's clubs told me that his top driver speed was 115 mph. Average ams hover around 90 mph.

BTW, ball spin under 3000 is good, isn't it? My understanding was that most ams get too much backspin with the driver. If you can increase your launch angle and keep the low backspin, I think that should give you added distance. Also, I wonder whether you can achieve this higher launch angle without changing drivers, simply by altering the ball position and tee height and staying behind the ball more. What do you think?

I have a little chart (I think it was from Golf Digest) that shows you how far the ball will go for launch angle/spin rate combinations for a set clubhead speed (I think it was 100mph). It says that the average tour pro has a spin rate of 2280 rpm with launch angle of 12 degrees. Theoretical maximum distance was when the spin rate was down to 1900 rpm with launch angle of 16.5 degrees! :shock:

I will email you the diagram as I don't know how to post it up here.

terryand
4th June 2004, 07:46 AM
Sorry guys couldn't get on last night for some reason,but gave me a chance to mull through all info.

Just a quicky seeing as every one is talking about knuckles Jaster.

The best that was recorded was this.

112.1 club head speed
7.5 L/angle
265.8 metres
4025 spin rate

Then he hit this one but cause of the lower angle went less distance.

As per the Figures Nudgee(Treelopper) was the star with this monster, due to greater L/Angle.

Bisvegas also knocked a beauty out there.

So just by these few examples, you can see club head speed isn't everything(please don't tell Jaster I said that).The second hit of Jasters with low L/A,if that angle was brought up to around 10* and the backspin drop to 3500,that shot would have travelleda futher20 metres or so.

There were a few sneaky stats from some of the guys aswell,not mentioning any bugular names at this stage.

I will post an in depth report later today when I get a chance.

Thanks to all that turned up,I hope you felt you had a long enough go and was able to take something away from the evening.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
4th June 2004, 08:02 AM
What were the clubs you guys were using?

At the R7 launch last week one thing they mentioned is that the modern clubs are trying to get the spin-rate down off the face of the club - about 2800-3000 is optimum for distance.

So note that "Treelopper's" distance was greater most likely because it was the lowest spin rate (2484), as per Vegas 284.5 monster (3027). Jaster's love tap of 265 metres was spinning 1000 rev's more - perhaps losing 10-20 metres in that?

terryand
4th June 2004, 09:42 AM
The faster your ball speed is the lower your spinrate needs to be and hence the slower the ball speed the higher the spinrate.

Here is a shortened table that comes with the Launchy

MPH B/Speed_______Degrees__________RPM's

170______________ 11-12___________2500-2700
160_______________12-13.5_________2750-3200
150______________ 12.5-14________ _3000-3300
140______________13-15____________3300-3550
130______________14-16__________ _3500-3800
120______________15-17____________3750-3900

As you can see,what might be good for the top pros at around 2000 rpm or less don't show up on this chart.

Reason being that they would have a ball speed of 180 +,cause 170 is around the 115 mph club head speed and mosr of thr elite pro are 120+.

So when a maq says that the best spinrate is 1800-2000 the forget to tell you that it is only for the guy who hit it off the planet.

Terry.

jaster
4th June 2004, 09:50 AM
Sorry guys couldn't get on last night for some reason,but gave me a chance to mull through all info.

Just a quicky seeing as every one is talking about knuckles Jaster.

The best that was recorded was this.

112.1 club head speed
7.5 L/angle
265.8 metres
4025 spin rate

Then he hit this one but cause of the lower angle went less distance.

As per the Figures Nudgee(Treelopper) was the star with this monster, due to greater L/Angle.

Bisvegas also knocked a beauty out there.

So just by these few examples, you can see club head speed isn't everything(please don't tell Jaster I said that).The second hit of Jasters with low L/A,if that angle was brought up to around 10* and the backspin drop to 3500,that shot would have travelleda futher20 metres or so.

There were a few sneaky stats from some of the guys aswell,not mentioning any bugular names at this stage.

I will post an in depth report later today when I get a chance.

Thanks to all that turned up,I hope you felt you had a long enough go and was able to take something away from the evening.

Terry.

These stats are awesome tezza, thanks to you and Nashie for the opportunity to have a go. The only thing is though, I have played with both Nudgee and Vegas in the past 2-3 months and there is no way they are 20-30 meters longer than me. I was as long as both of them when we played... :wink:
I think the launchy gives a thearetical (sp?) distance....not that it matters but it could be misleading IMO :?

terryand
4th June 2004, 10:01 AM
True Jaster it is calculated for US conditions, so it won't be taking into account the run you would be getting on our Oz fairways.

Just don't play against these guys in the US where its all carry :lol: :lol: 8)

Terry.

Fishman Dan
4th June 2004, 10:08 AM
Jaster - can't argue with technology. Perhaps that 2/3/10 swings you had weren't exactly dialled in. I mishit the ball occasionally too :roll: :lol:

Either that, or you're lacking distance physically. Get into the gym and bulk up laddy. I can put you on a diet that will help.

Breakfast - Coffee with a Portugese Tart (that's a pastry with custard by the way).
Lunch - Beef in black bean and sezchuan pork, fried rice. Can of coke.
Afternoon tea - Chance to sneak in a donut. If you've got Krispy Kreams up there, jump at the chance. It's all fried dough plus sugar.
Dinner - Steak and 3 veg, followed by chocolate. Beer and/or coke to accompany.

jaster
4th June 2004, 11:35 AM
True Jaster it is calculated for US conditions, so it won't be taking into account the run you would be getting on our Oz fairways.

Just don't play against these guys in the US where its all carry :lol: :lol: 8)

Terry.

Nope, can't agree there :( I bet my low spin helps keep my ball in the air as far as those to guys...low spin makes your ballf slice through the air..proven fact.

Jarro
4th June 2004, 12:19 PM
now now girls, put away the claws :roll:

Fishman Dan
4th June 2004, 12:45 PM
Jaster - i can't exactly quote what i learned last week at the R7 launch (so have i learned at all?!), but having too much spin through the air creates a pillow beneath the ball - too much spin, the ball goes too vertical and you lose some distance.

The basis of my comments are purely the spin rate. As we were told last week, a touch under 3k is perfect. The shots you have 'recorded' are above that, *perhaps* a cause. It's not to say that every drive you hit is exactly the same though.

The longer drives recorded that night have the optimum rev's... I'm just working on the facts at hand..

Iain
4th June 2004, 01:03 PM
jaster,

By the sounds of things you must only just getting it past the red markers. How many beers do you lose a round by not getting past them ?
Maybe it's time you faced reality, ditched all this expensive equipment and head over to Whale-land !
Jaster, tell him he's dreaming!

Iain tried to have sex with my R7
Gaz,
(In my best Bill Clinton Voice)
"I did NOT have sexual relations with the R7!" I may have thought about stealing it!! It certainly is a sweet club, very hot and very forgiving!!! I can't wait to try and get one!!! 8) :smt023

Jaster,
Thanks for some of the tips, really seemed to help, I may be in contact about follow ups!! :smt023 =D>

Iain

Jarro
4th June 2004, 01:12 PM
Iain,

how's the driver going now with the new shaft in it :?:

BrisVegas
4th June 2004, 01:37 PM
Yes, they certainly are som surprising stats. I doubt I would carry the ball longer than Jaster, that's for sure. I think my actual carry distance with driver is 250-260 on a well hit (ie.110-113 mph swing), not 284.5 as the launch monitor predicts.

Nice to see the launch angle and spin rate figures though! What I thought was a pretty high ball flight, was actually only 12 degrees launch. I think last time I tried that thing I was down around 7-8 degrees. I've picked up about 10mph & 60 metres since my last go on Terry's monitor. The only change has been a new shaft in the driver and a few lessons.

terryand
4th June 2004, 01:38 PM
Sorry guys I missed one [-X

Jaster.

110.8_____ MPH club head speed
159.8_____MPH ball speed
3096______Spinrate
8.6________L/ Angle
274.9______Distance

New stat

259.8______Carry

Sorry Jaster this one was Hiding,it was the second go with the TP.

And the other guys....

Nudgee's 291.4 hit carried 274.6.

Brisvegas" 284.5 hit carried 270.2

Terry.

McMw
4th June 2004, 01:59 PM
hold on.... :?

I can understand the carry from the Launch Monitor, but how the heck does it work out total distance???
Was there someone out there on the range measuring where the balls stopped??? :wink:

terryand
4th June 2004, 02:03 PM
hold on.... :?

I can understand the carry from the Launch Monitor, but how the heck does it work out total distance???
Was there someone out there on the range measuring where the balls stopped??? :wink:

It was said earier that it was calculated from L/A,ballspeed and spinratWon't be perfect but you get an idea,

Terry.

Jono
4th June 2004, 02:09 PM
Yes, they certainly are som surprising stats. I doubt I would carry the ball longer than Jaster, that's for sure. I think my actual carry distance with driver is 250-260 on a well hit (ie.110-113 mph swing), not 284.5 as the launch monitor predicts.

Nice to see the launch angle and spin rate figures though! What I thought was a pretty high ball flight, was actually only 12 degrees launch. I think last time I tried that thing I was down around 7-8 degrees. I've picked up about 10mph & 60 metres since my last go on Terry's monitor. The only change has been a new shaft in the driver and a few lessons.

60 meters !!!! :shock: Whoa ... that's fantastic. Are you sure you haven't been hitting the gym? :wink: What shaft change did you make? And what swing changes? The thought of extra 10 mph clubhead speed and 60 meters to my drives ... =P~

BrisVegas
4th June 2004, 03:11 PM

60 meters !!!! :shock: Whoa ... that's fantastic. Are you sure you haven't been hitting the gym? :wink: What shaft change did you make? And what swing changes? The thought of extra 10 mph clubhead speed and 60 meters to my drives ... =P~

My driver is a boring old Titleist 975JVS (HiCor) 8.5 degree. TheShaft was changed from a Rifle Graphite (250cpm, 80 grams?, 4+ degrees torque) to a Grafalloy Blue (268cpm, 60 grams?, 3 deg torque) a few months ago. It definitely flies a lot stronger now, especially on hard swings. The old shaft tended to lag open on aggressive swings.

Nudgee had a bash with my driver last night and seemed to like it too. We must have similar tempo/loading etc.

Choppa
4th June 2004, 03:42 PM
My driver is a boring old Titleist 975JVS (HiCor) 8.5 degree. TheShaft was changed from a Rifle Graphite (250cpm, 80 grams?, 4+ degrees torque) to a Grafalloy Blue (268cpm, 60 grams?, 3 deg torque) a few months ago. It definitely flies a lot stronger now, especially on hard swings. The old shaft tended to lag open on aggressive swings.

Nudgee had a bash with my driver last night and seemed to like it too. We must have similar tempo/loading etc.

If that's a boring old driver then let me have one. The launch monitor can't be too far out for mine. I've seen Vegas drive the 9th green at Gainsborough and that's gotta be a 270m carry. :smt038

That's launch monitor is great Terry, thanks. I never knew golf was so technical since talking with you guys. Seeing the relationship between the clubhead speed, ball speed, spin, launch angle and the carry distance is great. I can't wait to get my driver back so I can have a go at your next session.

markTHEblake
4th June 2004, 04:26 PM
Either that, or you're lacking distance physically. Get into the gym and bulk up laddy. I can put you on a diet that will help.

There is only one person here at Ozgolf that needs to go to the gym and bulk up and thats me, currently 64kg.

As for the rest of you lot......

goughy
4th June 2004, 04:56 PM
One thing jaster dosen't get on course is any roll. It's drop and stop at city. I watched him cut his 'girlie' 5 wood 230mtrs last game. give me 230mtrs centre of the fairway every hole with my driver and I'd take it :D 8) Let alone with a 5 wood.

Onewood
4th June 2004, 05:00 PM
One thing jaster dosen't get on course is any roll. It's drop and stop at city. I watched him cut his 'girlie' 5 wood 230mtrs last game. give me 230mtrs centre of the fairway every hole with my driver and I'd take it :D 8) Let alone with a 5 wood.

The most I got out of last night, was watching the usual lefty GAY FADE :D

Jarro
4th June 2004, 05:22 PM

There is only one person here at Ozgolf that needs to go to the gym and bulk up and thats me, currently 64kg.

i've always said you were a fine specimen of a man Blakey :smt036

jaster
4th June 2004, 05:29 PM

Why is Blakey an Italian astronaut???

Jarro
4th June 2004, 05:35 PM

Why is Blakey an Italian astronaut???

now Jaster, usually i know what you're on about ...

.. but this time you've lost me :smt017

jaster
4th June 2004, 05:41 PM
now Jaster, usually i know what you're on about ...

.. but this time you've lost me :smt017

Say specimen in an italian accent....spacey man ;)

terryand
4th June 2004, 05:49 PM
Oh man your losin it Jaster :smt048

Altough that can't be good for me cause I knew what you going on about :smt101 :smt104

Terry.

Jarro
4th June 2004, 05:53 PM
Oh man your losin it Jaster :smt048

Altough that can't be good for me cause I knew what you going on about :smt101 :smt104

Terry.

#-o :smt082

jaster
4th June 2004, 07:12 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/jasterspics/launchangle.jpg

Jono asked me to post this :)

terryand
4th June 2004, 07:34 PM
I don't know how your meant to work it out without a ball speed :smt017

Terry.

jaster
4th June 2004, 08:00 PM

Terry.

Not sure...but that actually raises a question.....Nudgees and BrisVegas were both using a HiCOR driver right? What does this do to the Ball Speed? :? Doesn't it add 15-20mph? Could this have something to do with the extra metres?

terryand
4th June 2004, 08:27 PM
Holt crap Sheriff are you drinking?

Got your point 3 times :oops:

Terry.

jaster
4th June 2004, 08:34 PM
What? :?

990B Luva
4th June 2004, 08:40 PM
you posted
jaster wrote:
terryand wrote:
I don't know how your meant to work it out without a ball speed

Terry.

Not sure...but that actually raises a question.....Nudgee and BrisVega were both using a HiCOR driver right? What does this do to the Ball Speed? Doesn't it add 15-20mph? Could this have something to do with the extra metres?

3 times

jaster
4th June 2004, 08:50 PM
you posted
jaster wrote:
terryand wrote:
I don't know how your meant to work it out without a ball speed

Terry.

Not sure...but that actually raises a question.....Nudgee and BrisVega were both using a HiCOR driver right? What does this do to the Ball Speed? Doesn't it add 15-20mph? Could this have something to do with the extra metres?

3 times

I give up :roll:

jaster
4th June 2004, 08:53 PM

Terry.

Not sure...but that actually raises a question.....Nudgees and BrisVegas were both using a HiCOR driver right? What does this do to the Ball Speed? :? Doesn't it add 15-20mph? Could this have something to do with the extra metres?

Anyone care to answer this?

gazgolf1
4th June 2004, 09:26 PM
too funny. :smt005

terryand
4th June 2004, 09:29 PM
When is some one going to say 8)

JASTER YOU GOT NUTTIN :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :P :P

Terry.

terryand
4th June 2004, 09:30 PM
Did I just think that out loud :oops:

Terry.

AndyP
4th June 2004, 09:30 PM
Yes.

Nudgees and BrisVegas were both using a HiCOR driver right?
Probably.

What does this do to the Ball Speed?
Don't know.

Doesn't it add 15-20mph?
Dunno again.

Could this have something to do with the extra metres?
Possibly.

Glad I could help.

Jarro
4th June 2004, 09:53 PM
Yes.

Probably.

Don't know.

Doesn't it add 15-20mph?
Dunno again.

Possibly.

Glad I could help.

thanks for clearing that up for us AndyP :roll:

Fishman Dan
4th June 2004, 10:16 PM

Terry.

Jaster - again, from the TaylorMade do last Friday, Hi-COR doesn't really do that much extra (apparently).

Scenario (not an italian word): Throw a ball into a club face at 100 mph. Measure the speed it comes off the club face. If speed = < 83 mph, then it's Hi-CoR. USGA currently (?) allows up to .860 - or coming off at 86 mph. Apparently when you're talking distance, this translates into maybe 5 yards.. 8-10 MAX!!

He threw the question open to the crowd - where's the extra distance coming from? SPIN. 8) :roll:

Pass the bacon.. there's another metre in every breakfast you know ;)

senecio
5th June 2004, 04:33 AM
Terry,

Thanks for organising the night, I had a great time.

If I can gain anything from the data, well that's just and added bonus.

Thanks Ryan

Jono
5th June 2004, 07:07 AM

Terry.

Thanks for posting the chart, Jaster. :D

Terry, the chart is for a given clubhead speed. From memory, I think it was for clubhead speed of 100 mph. I think it was just to give the readers an idea of how launch angle and spin rate can affect the total distance even if the clubhead speed remains the same. As you pointed out earlier, different clubhead speeds have different optimal spin/launch angle. I think what the chart shows is that GENERALLY speaking, an amateur golfer will do well to a) decrease spin, and b) increase launch angle.

I wish I was there on Thursday. As Terence will tell you, my launch angle/spin rate ain't right, especially with the SMT 455. Too high with too much spin. It's a little better with the Spectrum, but nowhere near ideal. :(

Iain
7th June 2004, 06:57 AM
Gee, you're really helpful Andy! :? :roll:

Terry, Are you going to put up everyones stats?

Iain

terryand
7th June 2004, 08:15 AM
Iain,sure am, just had a busy weekend should get to it tonight :smt023

Terry.

andylo
7th June 2004, 08:28 AM
Probably.

Don't know.

Doesn't it add 15-20mph?
Dunno again.

Possibly.
Glad I could help.

I read an article about how much benefit you can get from an Hi-Cor driver....

The difference between 0.83 and 0.86.... is about 8 yards, ONLY if you have a swing speed of 120mphs plus.

The difference on a normal swing speed person will be less than that.

I guess most of you read it already.

BrisVegas
7th June 2004, 09:48 AM
Was just reading some articles on BSG (first time there, I promise! :wink: ) and found many people saying they have picked up clubhead speed by changing to better/stiffer shafts. One guy said he went from 90-92 to 100-105 just by ditching a stock shaft and putting in a Grafaloy Blue.

Terry mentioned to me the other day that he thought my new shaft was the reason for me gaining 10-13mph on the monitor. At the time I didn't think much of it, and just figured I was hitting it like crap last time on Tez's monitor. I'm starting to think maybe he was right.

Did anyone else notice they picked up a significant amount of speed/distance this time versus last time???? Any ideas ??? Could temperature affect the results??? :? :? :? :?

gazgolf1
7th June 2004, 10:47 AM
Was just reading some articles on BSG (first time there, I promise! :wink: ) and found many people saying they have picked up clubhead speed by changing to better/stiffer shafts. One guy said he went from 90-92 to 100-105 just by ditching a stock shaft and putting in a Grafaloy Blue.

Terry mentioned to me the other day that he thought my new shaft was the reason for me gaining 10-13mph on the monitor. At the time I didn't think much of it, and just figured I was hitting it like crap last time on Tez's monitor. I'm starting to think maybe he was right.

Did anyone else notice they picked up a significant amount of speed/distance this time versus last time???? Any ideas ??? Could temperature affect the results??? :? :? :? :?

Sounds right to me Briz :) ,you're obviously loading and unloading the Blue more efficiently than your old Rifle.
You would have to lose clubhead speed if the shaft was lagging behind.
For myself my figures were pretty good for my swingspeed which makes me feel good after shelling out the big biccies for a driver and shaft combo that I only hit a few balls with. :roll:

markTHEblake
7th June 2004, 11:36 AM
Terry, do you still have the Stats from the previous launch monitor session?

I am only interested in what my launch angle was, otherwise I remember that you said it was the right angle for my swingspeed/spin rate.

Iain
8th June 2004, 07:55 AM
For myself my figures were pretty good for my swingspeed which makes me feel good after shelling out the big biccies for a driver and shaft combo that I only hit a few balls with. :roll:

Well then Gaz, I'll trade you my 510TP (Maybe a DF) for the R7 since you liked it so much!!?? :smt038 :smt023

Jarro
8th June 2004, 11:57 AM
Good luck trying to grab the R7 off Gaz, Iain :lol:

i think he'll be hanging onto it for a while yet.

well at least untill next week anyway :P :lol:

BrisVegas
8th June 2004, 12:41 PM
:shock: :shock: What the hell do you want a new driver for Iain????

Your 510TP is awesome. Be happy with it. :P :P Haven't you heard about "diminishing returns" ??? You'd be better served investing in more swing coaching with guru-Jaster. :wink:

Jarro
8th June 2004, 01:08 PM

Your 510TP is awesome. Be happy with it. :P :P Haven't you heard about "diminishing returns" ??? You'd be better served investing in more swing coaching with guru-Jaster. :wink:

that's not the sort of logic that a 'Ho can relate to BrisVegas :P :lol:

Do your thing Iain.... spend up big..... be happy 8) :D

Iain
9th June 2004, 07:59 AM
Why not?? I think that would be the correct Ho answer? \:D/

You'd be better served investing in more swing coaching with guru-Jaster. :wink:
I just have to convince him!!
e="Jarro"]that's not the sort of logic that a 'Ho can relate to BrisVegas

Do your thing Iain.... spend up big..... be happy
I think lessons and some good wedges are next on the list! I may wait till the price comes down a bit, that way I can keep my TP as a back up!!! :smt040

BrisVegas
9th June 2004, 08:05 AM
good idea on those wedges!! Best money you'll ever spend. :wink:

Jarro
9th June 2004, 02:20 PM
so Iain,

what wedges are you after mate :?:

AndyP
9th June 2004, 07:26 PM
so Iain,

Your Black Racs, jarro. :wink:

Jarro
10th June 2004, 02:54 AM
so Iain,

GREAT WEDGES :!: :D

... but you can't have mine :wink: :lol:

Iain
10th June 2004, 03:11 AM
so Iain,

GREAT WEDGES :!: :D

... but you can't have mine :wink: :lol:
We'll see.... :smt036

BrisVegas
5th October 2005, 11:59 AM
We need to do this again! 8)

Tez - do you still have access to a launch monitor? I'm happy to pay to use it again.

There's been a bunch of guys upgrade their drivers in the past 15 months or so, would be good to see if the spin/launch/speed numbers have changed.

Jarro
5th October 2005, 01:08 PM
great idea Vegas 8)