PDA

View Full Version : On the day - other things going on.

Bruce
7th October 2009, 09:50 PM
So reading around the various suggestions etc. there are some ideas to take up on the day.

Fines committee. Do we want this? Who is on the committee?

Side bets. Who will be organising the winner take all pool? Was this Poidda last year?

Bring your cameras and don't be shy about using them (while keeping up a decent pace of play of course). My laptop will take a SD and micro SD cards for collation. I'm sure the scorers machine will too.

Who is bringing the cards and chips?

Different tees for different days? or plates on both? (this is usually a thread on its' own)

A reminder that you handicap is what golflink says it is on Friday night. No golflink = scratch.

Distance measuring devices ARE LEGAL.

More as they come up...

AndyP
7th October 2009, 09:57 PM
Distance measuring devices ARE LEGAL.Booooooooooooo!

henno
7th October 2009, 09:57 PM
Who is bringing the cards and chips?

I can bring a poker set. Might be worth bringing more than one though, for multiple tables and/or forgetfulness.

shavey
7th October 2009, 10:02 PM
What about the kelly pool set as I had still organised to hire a pool table in for the night/s.

Hux
7th October 2009, 10:10 PM
Are we playing in the Pelican water comp as well...that would mean AGU will be printed on our cards.

kev
7th October 2009, 10:26 PM
Bring your cameras and don't be shy about using them (while keeping up a decent pace of play of course). My laptop will take a SD and micro SD cards for collation. I'm sure the scorers machine will too.

I've got a 4 port USB hub that also reads about 7 different types of cards, so I'll throw that at you on the way up.

shavey
7th October 2009, 10:29 PM
Are we playing in the Pelican water comp as well...that would mean AGU will be printed on our cards.

Not sure if and what comp they will have Hux.

I think last year a few people played in the comp but the rest were happy competing for the ozgolf title

Bruce
7th October 2009, 10:30 PM
I vote no comp - we will be managing our own cards with our excellent scorers.

sms316
8th October 2009, 05:08 AM
I can bring a poker set. Might be worth bringing more than one though, for multiple tables and/or forgetfulness.
I've got a set here (somewhere). I'll dig it up and bring it along.

Grunt
8th October 2009, 06:16 AM
Should it be in place that the Daily Money winner is not handed the cash until the bar order is placed?

PeteyD
8th October 2009, 07:12 AM
No Grunt, that is still optional.

If you play in the comp you will need to fill in a different card for us, so the handicap won't be printed on the card etc.

Handicaps are checked on Thursday evening, updated on Friday if we can get to the net etc and be bothered doing it ;) although most people should know. Is it a comp at Pac Harbour on the Friday, I didn't think it was?

poidda
8th October 2009, 08:18 AM
What about the kelly pool set as I had still organised to hire a pool table in for the night/s.

I'll bring my poker set again. It's lasted the last few years.. But you gotta watch who you play with. The amount of bent corners on my cards after last years was amazing. And it wasn't the black 2s.

As for my kelly pool. Which dodgy bastard went home with it last year?

markTHEblake
8th October 2009, 09:18 AM
Distance measuring devices ARE LEGAL.

if every golf cart has one, yes implement the local rule.

If not, no.

henno
8th October 2009, 09:33 AM

If not, no.

460cc drivers are also legal, but if your group chooses not to have one (or can't justify the $$$), does everyone else have to leave their's at home?

Each player has the option of using a distance measuring device. If you choose not to use one, that's your tough luck.

Lucasto23
8th October 2009, 09:46 AM

If not, no.

Just buy a GPS already:smt023

Hux
8th October 2009, 09:48 AM
I vote no comp - we will be managing our own cards with our excellent scorers.

No worries - it was more in line with whether the green fees including the comp fee or not....from Shaveys post - NOT. I am very fine with that. The social aspect of the weekend makes any real comp fruitless...I prefer to play against people under the same handicap - late night etc.

markTHEblake
8th October 2009, 09:51 AM
460cc drivers are also legal, but if your group chooses not to have one (or can't justify the $$$), does everyone else have to leave their's at home?

wrong henno. 460cc drivers are legal within the rules of golf, Distance measuring devices are not.

If some golfers decide for themselves to adopt the optional local rule that allows these devices, because of the obvious self interest, then I choose to adopt the optional lift, clean and place local rule

If people choose not to use preferred lies, tough luck all the same.

in other words, why should we adopt a special local rule for our competition, just to benefit a few?
That is not the intent of the local rule.

Hux
8th October 2009, 09:54 AM

If not, no.

Measuring devices are out - So you can't pace out from sprinkler heads either? Shit I have to leave my legs behind!!!!!!! I know a few people will be legless anyway but this is silly.

GPS and rangefinders are legal everywhere else in all club comps...some use them, some don't. You obviously choose not for one reason or a not MTB so live with your decision. Bit like stepping into mud to play a shot really!

markTHEblake
8th October 2009, 09:57 AM
GPS and rangefinders are legal everywhere else in all club comps...

no they are not.

henno
8th October 2009, 09:58 AM
because of the obvious self interest

Um, of course it's self-interested. What golf product do you use that's in the interest of others? :?

I choose to adopt the optional lift, clean and place local rule. If people choose not to use preferred lies, tough luck all the same.

If it's a local rule, go right ahead.

why should we adopt a special local rule for our competition, just to benefit a few?

It's in the interests of not being a whiney party pooper. There's no sheep stations on the line, and other cliches.

markTHEblake
8th October 2009, 10:05 AM
If it's a local rule, go right ahead.

If some people can decide a local rule applies, then fine, some people can decide on other local rules.

It's in the interests of not being a whiney party pooper.

its the whiney party poopers who demand a special dispensation to use a device that is not allowed within the rules of golf.

Bruce
8th October 2009, 10:07 AM
This particular local rule is based on precedent. They were allowed last year and the year before. The ruling remains in place.

henno
8th October 2009, 10:10 AM
its the whiney party poopers who demand a special dispensation to use a device that is not allowed within the rules of golf.

In that case, I hope you turned off the GPS in your cart at Brookwater on the 29th. :lol:

PeteyD
8th October 2009, 10:11 AM
Blakey, give it up. DMDs are legal. The carts at Pelican had them, but I believe they have been removed as a cost saving (makes me wonder if pelican is gonna go the KV way).

markTHEblake
8th October 2009, 10:20 AM
This particular local rule is based on precedent. They were allowed last year and the year before. The ruling remains in place.
There is yet to be a valid reason for giving special treatment to a few, only the whining from people that have them.

In that case, I hope you turned off the GPS in your cart at Brookwater on the 29th. :lol:

There is no logical reason for even saying that Henno. A course like Brookwater is the reason the R&A implemented the rule - because all the carts have them, so they didnt have to turn them off for their competitions.

Blakey, give it up. DMDs are legal.
They are not, please read the rule book!

PeteyD
8th October 2009, 10:21 AM
Not allowing DMDs means we get more whiners than allowing them. Just not everyone is as vocal as Blakey!

AndyP
8th October 2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.butterpaper.com/vanilla/extensions/InlineImages/image.php?AttachmentID=254

poidda
8th October 2009, 10:28 AM
Seriously can we get the Wanker thread back?

I can't believe on a social golf forum GPS is a major issue. 9 times out of 10 it makes absolutely no difference if I'm 140 or 160 out. I still hit the balls like shyte. And sorry to break it to you all, but 95% of the players on here are in the same boat.

GPS or not. Who gives a ****. Really. :roll:

poidda
8th October 2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.butterpaper.com/vanilla/extensions/InlineImages/image.php?AttachmentID=254

:smt038

henno
8th October 2009, 10:29 AM
I'll gladly not use mine to keep the peace (it only tells me how far I can't hit it anyway) but I honestly don't understand the issue. If you think there's a huge advantage, get one. If you chose to not get one despite the advantage, tough. If there's no advantage then the argument is moot.

Next issue please.

PeteyD
8th October 2009, 10:30 AM
Blakey does.

poidda
8th October 2009, 10:33 AM
Blakey does.

Where's the "Is anyone ****ing surprised" emoticon?

Bruce
8th October 2009, 10:38 AM
There is yet to be a valid reason for giving special treatment to a few, only the whining from people that have them.

Lots of reasons have been given - you just don't agree with them.

You are welcome to vote with your feet on this issue.

Courty
8th October 2009, 05:49 PM
Here's a suggestion: Petey groups Blake with non-GPS users all weekend. ;)

Hux
8th October 2009, 05:54 PM
no they are not.

Okay in lots and lots and lots. I guess for every one you says can't there will be an order of magnitude these days who have.

Anyway - self interest - yeah but the boot fits both feet as your view is in your self interest as much as those of us with the gadgets have the opposite view - correct? Or forgive me if there is some higher calling I am unaware of! :mrgreen:
Anyway are you going to not use any distance markers? Or just the ones approved on the course ;)

markTHEblake
9th October 2009, 09:53 AM

Bruce, precedent means jack. There is precedent that the winner of all the cash buys everyone a drink but that didnt happen last year. Kudos to the generous ones who started this but I think its a silly idea to prepay drinks you might not get, so good on him for taking a stand to make a change for the better.

And the 2nd point is if you are so sure it is a done deal why did you throw it in as a discussion point.

Anyway - self interest - yeah but the boot fits both feet as your view is in your self interest as much as those of us with the gadgets have the opposite view - correct?
I love using the GPS devices and the ozgolfers who have them are more then generous in sharing the info they have amongst the group.

Or forgive me if there is some higher calling I am unaware of! :mrgreen:Yes there is, and you are forgiven my son
(mainly cos you are that huge copper bloke arent you?)

The rules of golf do not permit their use and a golfer who has one doesnt get to have his way just because he demands it (not all do that).

Its either on the local rules board or its not, there is no grey area.

poidda
9th October 2009, 10:36 AM

Brilliant idea Courty. Make it happen PeteyD.

Now I'm off to ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-MODEL-SURESHOT-GPS-8850-GOLF_W0QQitemZ230385169270QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Go lf_Accessories?hash=item35a406b376&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

BrisVegas
9th October 2009, 10:51 AM
get a Neo poidda. cheaper and shareable.

poidda
9th October 2009, 10:53 AM
get a Neo poidda. cheaper and shareable.

**** that. I wont be sharing with the cheap moaning bastards that don't have one. ;)

sms316
9th October 2009, 11:01 AM
Brilliant idea Courty. Make it happen PeteyD.

Now I'm off to ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-MODEL-SURESHOT-GPS-8850-GOLF_W0QQitemZ230385169270QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Go lf_Accessories?hash=item35a406b376&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Pfft. I know someone who could do you a better deal than that (and you wouldn't have to pay postage).

Jarro
9th October 2009, 11:03 AM
Pfft. I know someone who could do you a better deal than that (and you wouldn't have to pay postage).

And that person would be ?

markTHEblake
9th October 2009, 11:04 AM
Do titleist sell GPS now?

sms316
9th October 2009, 11:10 AM
And that person would be ?
Go out on a limb and have a guess.

:roll:

Send that person a PM for a price.

AndyP
9th October 2009, 11:27 AM
Stop threadjacking with your GPS buying crap.

Is this silly fines thing happening?

markTHEblake
9th October 2009, 11:41 AM
How about the winner of Day 1, gets the "Mug", and everyone he taps on the shoulder has to buy him a drink.

If he taps anyone on the shoulder twice, he has to shout everyone present a drink and the mug is cancelled.

If anybody helps him try to remember who he has tapped, then they have to shout everyone present.

and he cant use any record keeping method to remember who he has tapped apart from memory recall. If he writes down names for example he has to shout the bar (am well aware of cheating hustlers who have done that before).

This can get quite entertaining as the drunk stumbles around the room, trying to remember who he can tap, as others try to sneak away.

Bruce
9th October 2009, 11:50 AM
Very similar to Poidda's suggestion and well worth considering.

Good to see you are not a total contrarian Blakey :)

poidda
9th October 2009, 11:54 AM
Very similar to Poidda's suggestion and well worth considering.

I take that as an insult.

just
9th October 2009, 11:57 AM
Shuddup Blakey's mate!

markTHEblake
9th October 2009, 12:02 PM

Its only because I am smart enough to not get tapped, or otherwise sneaky enough to get myself tapped twice. It means I cant lose.

I forgot the other condition, the mug is not allowed to pike out and buy his own drinks. If he gets too drunk and cant remember who is left to tap, his problem.

PeteyD
9th October 2009, 12:42 PM
I like the Mug idea.

BrisVegas
9th October 2009, 12:48 PM
stoopid idea. mainly because it's blakey's. But also, I'm spending all my spare golfing money on getting to the champs and accom, so unless i win the punt I can't afford to shout drinks for 50 punters....

BrisVegas
9th October 2009, 12:49 PM
Its only because I am smart enough .....

:o

PeteyD
9th October 2009, 02:00 PM
stoopid idea. mainly because it's blakey's. But also, I'm spending all my spare golfing money on getting to the champs and accom, so unless i win the punt I can't afford to shout drinks for 50 punters....

I thought that was the point.

poidda
9th October 2009, 02:27 PM
Shuddup Blakey's mate!

Still is search of the wanker thread.

Eag's
9th October 2009, 04:43 PM

Crap better rush out and get one pronto ;)
I for one don't give a toss if people want to use GPS, Apple I phones, Sat Nav or laser guided hamsters.
It's the Oz Golf Champs, we play for fun, drink plenty of booze and have a great time. It's not always about the golf.

just
9th October 2009, 04:58 PM
I've got a GPS, I'm safe.

PeteyD
9th October 2009, 05:37 PM
Where do I get a laser guided hamster! I need one of those!

Jarro
9th October 2009, 05:40 PM
I think you are thinking of a gerbil PeteyD.

just
9th October 2009, 05:42 PM
Where do I get a laser guided hamster! I need one of those!
No, but I can get you a deal on a gopher.
http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/caddyshack-gopher.jpg

markTHEblake
9th October 2009, 07:54 PM
so unless i win the punt I can't afford to shout drinks for 50 punters....

then you would only need to be very careful how much you drink then :-)

the winner of the mug could just have two drinks and go home - no risk.

Courty
9th October 2009, 08:30 PM
I think you are thinking of a gerbil PeteyD.

Armageddon!

:lol: