PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest shipping US -> Aus

DracZ
7th October 2009, 12:38 AM
Hi all, I've got a set of clubs a friend in the US needs to send over to me here in Melbourne. What would be the most cost effective method of shipping? Fedex / DHL / UPS etc? Preferably one that offers a pickup service door to door as well. Oh and any rough figures would be useful, thanks.

cobra
7th October 2009, 06:38 AM
Had a set sent from the us through USPS about $75.00 US arrived in 4 days
also had various clubs sent through 3 balls golf at about $39 us and they arrive in 3-4 days
get the tracking number so you can keep an eye on them

they have all arrived well packed and in good nick no worries with shipping
not sure who is the cheapest though

Jon
7th October 2009, 08:57 AM
Keep in mind cheapest ain't always the best, you get what you pay for.
I've used Fedex quite a bit, it's a great service.:lol:

moree golfer
7th October 2009, 09:23 AM
USPS seem to do a good job and are always the cheaper option. There are a couple of threads of recent times so give search a whirl.

rodders
7th October 2009, 10:10 AM
Got quite a bit from the States this year.

Fedex by far the quickest and best tracking.

USPS by far the most frustrating - slow and take ages to get response.

If fedex cant leave at address, they will take to their depot off the ring rd near sunshine. I have collected there before.

USPS if cant deliver give to Aust Post - you then have to collect from them and subject to the crappy opening hours (fedex open to 8 or 9 pm! - albeit a drive to get there)

oldmannoodles
7th October 2009, 10:26 AM
I've had dozens of packages sent via USPS Priority - never had a problem and they always arrive between 10 and 14 days after being sent.

DracZ
7th October 2009, 10:33 AM
USPS if cant deliver give to Aust Post - you then have to collect from them and subject to the crappy opening hours (fedex open to 8 or 9 pm! - albeit a drive to get there)

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Actually the Aust. Post depot for international mail is a 5 minute drive from my place, alot closer than the Fedex depot (and honestly I have the worst luck with courier drop offs at my place so usually end up picking it up myself in the end). Might go with USPS, cheers guys

TourFit
7th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Don't get USPS and UPS mixed up...USPS (United States Postal Service) is equivalent of Australia Post...UPS are a competitor courier service to Fedex and DHL etc.

moree golfer
7th October 2009, 12:47 PM
Good call TF, UPS = trouble.

live4golf
7th October 2009, 12:51 PM
USPS is cheapest and from my own personal experience I have never had an issue with them.

Jon
7th October 2009, 01:17 PM
I've had heaps of smaller stuff shipped through UPS MG and never a problem, don't know about larger items, never used USPS so cant comment.:)
Good call TF, UPS = trouble.

Dazza
7th October 2009, 07:00 PM
USPS is cheapest and from my own personal experience I have never had an issue with them.

I've also had a few packages sent via USPS recently. No dramas at all.

Peter
14th February 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi all, I've got a set of clubs a friend in the US needs to send over to me here in Melbourne. What would be the most cost effective method of shipping? Fedex / DHL / UPS etc? Preferably one that offers a pickup service door to door as well. Oh and any rough figures would be useful, thanks.
A couple of mates are in this situation at the moment (trying to send a driver and a set of irons from the US to Melb) - they've been quoted around USD200 from USPS, Fedex and UPS. I don't buy enough to know the proper rates, but surely these guys are asking for the wrong service if the quotes are that high?

adlo
14th February 2010, 07:29 PM
Possibly not. The issue may be the lack of a discount. The major online sellers get discounts for volume.

Perhaps a few of the guys who buy off GolfWRX and the like might be able to help (moree_golfer springs to mind). I tried to get a putter off GolfWRX once but was met with the same reply as you are saying above (ie shipping $150!!). Surely some people know a way around it.

gazgolf1
14th February 2010, 07:47 PM
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home_header&page=calculatepostage

Start here.

Russ
14th February 2010, 08:16 PM
A couple of mates are in this situation at the moment (trying to send a driver and a set of irons from the US to Melb) - they've been quoted around USD200 from USPS, Fedex and UPS. I don't buy enough to know the proper rates, but surely these guys are asking for the wrong service if the quotes are that high?

I recently placed an order for 3 Wedges from Scratch Golf, and these were the USPS prices I was quoted:

(This is for up to 6 clubs, fully insured)

Global Express (1-3 days) - $150.00
Express Intl. (3-5 Days) - $85.00
Priority Intl. (6-10 Days) - $76.00

Peter
14th February 2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Gaz. It looks like the driver length may be the problem. They might need to break out the calculator and figure out how wide the box has to be to fit the driver on an angle with a 42" box.

moree golfer
14th February 2010, 09:28 PM
Sounds a little high to me but it depends on the cubic volume of the box. I would have thought US$100 would pull it up. I have had a set of MP14s sent to me via USPS and it only cost US$73.74 via USPS (just checked the box it came in).

Dazza
14th February 2010, 09:35 PM
I bought a set of iron heads from GolfWRX... Came in a USPS box, and cost nearly $40us.
Hope that helps.

Oldplayer
14th February 2010, 10:04 PM
UPS is over the top. Fedex is fast and excellent service but also pricey. The only realistic option in USPS. Plenty of sellers in the U.S. ship drivers with USPS. Tim the putterman for eg. It's a bit like Australia, if you get the length issue accepted over the counter, (some postal workers will, some won't) once it is in the system it will be delivered. USPS are very reliable and are delivered signiture post by Aust. post courier. Can be a bit of a wait, generally 1 to 2 weeks.

Dr Jugs
17th February 2010, 06:53 PM
Try shipito.com (http://ozgolf.net/forums/shipito.com) Will get you a mailbox in the US to take advantage of free ground shipping offers, they then have good discounts through FedEx. Have used a couple of times for good savings.

f00re
18th February 2010, 12:06 AM
Try shipito.com (http://ozgolf.net/forums/shipito.com) Will get you a mailbox in the US to take advantage of free ground shipping offers, they then have good discounts through FedEx. Have used a couple of times for good savings.

I use shipito as well very fast and cheaper service.

Peter
18th February 2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys. They managed to get it shipped at <100 USD via USPS.