PDA

View Full Version : Cricket 2009-10

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LarryLong
6th October 2009, 09:46 PM
Couldn't find a thread for this, so I'll kick it off.

Aussies off to a good start in the one-dayers with a win in the Champions Trophy. Not that one-dayers count.

Watson caps off the finals with successive unbeaten tons :shock:. Does that mean we all have to stop bagging him now?

Yossarian
6th October 2009, 09:47 PM
I am suprised his hammys held up for that long.

But good on him hope he keeps going.

KristianJ
6th October 2009, 10:15 PM
I see they raided Richie's wardrobe for the blazers that were given as part of the winners' prizes...

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/109100/109149.jpg

jimandr
6th October 2009, 10:23 PM
Couldn't find a thread for this, so I'll kick it off.

Aussies off to a good start in the one-dayers with a win in the Champions Trophy. Not that one-dayers count.

Watson caps off the finals with successive unbeaten tons :shock:. Does that mean we all have to stop bagging him now?

You stole my thunder Larry.

I had a line prepared asking for psychological counselling because I was conflicted between hating Watson and wanting him dropped in favour of Phillip Hughes, and singing Watson's praises. His batting has been faultless recently.

While I'm happy that we won the Champions Trophy, I doubt if we'll remember it in three months time. It is a meaningless event, with hardly any prestige.

Having said that, at least it has more prestige than the Indian tour that has no test cricket in it. No wonder it sometimes looks like the players have lost interest.

Yossarian
6th October 2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/page2/content/current/story/428525.html

Interesting article.

markTHEblake
6th October 2009, 10:38 PM
So is Ponting going to buck the trend and get out on a high, or be crucified like most of the last 10 captains or so.

Perhaps the one thing going for him is that Michael Clarke is the only likely successor who doesnt appear nasty enough to backstab.

waffle_iron
7th October 2009, 01:32 AM
You blokes should stick to golf.

AndyP
7th October 2009, 08:58 AM
You blokes should stick to golf.You should try making a useful post now and then.

KristianJ
7th October 2009, 11:27 AM

I've made a century this summer in my local comp already. Both can co-exist peacefully in my life as far as I'm concerned. 8-)

waffle_iron
7th October 2009, 02:00 PM
You should try making a useful post now and then.
Ok, theres talk of the Pakis throwing the game to the Kiwis, which I think is a distinct possibility, that better Andy ?:shock:

Yossarian
7th October 2009, 04:12 PM
Ok, theres talk of the Pakis throwing the game to the Kiwis, which I think is a distinct possibility, that better Andy ?:shock:

Why the :shock:

And praytell why should we stick to golf?

zigwah
16th October 2009, 08:51 AM
This year has to be the year of Siddle And Dougie!!!!

Sydney Hacker
16th October 2009, 09:03 AM
Dougie will probably have a very good year for NSW...

WBennett
16th October 2009, 09:40 AM
What an inspiring summer of cricket. The Pakis who are on the take, and the Windies who are woeful.

armygolf
16th October 2009, 06:53 PM
What an inspiring summer of cricket. The Pakis who are on the take, and the Windies who are woeful.

And I was the dumb c that paid upfront for tix to Sydney test!! Kev RUdd said you cant call em Paki's btw.

Rufus T Firefly
16th October 2009, 08:22 PM

Sorry Richie

Rufus T Firefly
16th October 2009, 08:24 PM

Yep and Cricket Australia will be issuing thousands of free tickets to get bums on seats. Could be the first boxing day test in history that is called of due to lack of interest.

armygolf
16th October 2009, 08:34 PM
Yep and Cricket Australia will be issuing thousands of free tickets to get bums on seats. Could be the first boxing day test in history that is called of due to lack of interest.

just imagine how many spare drinking days Boonie would have had playing these jokers. 3 day tests, 2 days drinking.

Young Tom Morris
16th October 2009, 08:43 PM
how good are the bushrangers and the blues going in the Champions league

Bruce
17th October 2009, 10:23 AM
I fell asleep with telly on and woke up in time to see the end of the NSW v TT game.

I have never seen an aussie bowler taken apart like Henriques was by Pollard. He got smashed for 42 runs from 9 balls. 5 x 6s, 3 x 4s and a dot (not counting the wide). He was lucky to get away with a couple of high full tosses, but umpires are notoriously soft on calling no-balls on the ones that disappear into the stands.

Wd 4 4 6 6 .6 | 4 6 6 - match over.

Hopefully there is a suicide watch over the young bloke - he must be shattered.

Grunt
17th October 2009, 11:43 AM
So are NSW out of it now?

Bruce
17th October 2009, 11:52 AM
Nah - they are doing that stupid 'Super 8' system from the previous World Cups.

Grunt
17th October 2009, 12:00 PM
Oh ok, Might actually watch some of it soon, I keep forgetting it is on.

Grunt
22nd October 2009, 06:03 AM
Blues into the Final with a nice win over the Vic's

http://www.cricinfo.com/t20champions2009/content/current/story/430626.html

chappy1970
22nd October 2009, 09:19 AM
It wasn't a win Grunt, it was a slaughter

Bruce
22nd October 2009, 09:20 AM
I think NSW are the only ones to master batting on that shitty low pitch in Delhi. I don't think any team scored more than 100 in the second dig there.

Apart from the Pollard innings the Blues have been the pick of the tournament.

LarryLong
22nd October 2009, 12:23 PM
I think NSW are the only ones to master batting on that shitty low pitch in Delhi.

Yep, they are master batters, those New South Welshmen. :)

I'm not particularly interested in 20-20 (Not just because the Vics got knocked out), but it would be good to see one of the Aussie domestic sides get up in that comp.

Go NSW. I feel so dirty. :)

Grunt
22nd October 2009, 02:19 PM
A nice $800 000 even if they lose tomorrow night. More than double they would get if they win every local tournament in Australia this year. Not a bad earn.

Grunt
24th October 2009, 08:06 AM
So are NSW out of it now?

Nah - they are doing that stupid 'Super 8' system from the previous World Cups.

Guess 1 loss is pretty good result that now includes a cheque for over 1 million US Dollars.

Great Win to the Speedblitz Blues.

KristianJ
24th October 2009, 11:03 PM
Hopefully they won't tank it in the Ford Ranger Cup and Sheffield Shield like they seem to most years...when the Test and T20/ODI players aren't there, the quality does drop a little bit.

Nice to see Bing in some good form though :)

markTHEblake
25th October 2009, 05:59 PM
There is a lot to like about that T&T team, despite the convincing loss. Not so much about the way they played that game, particularly as the top 3 batters really lost the plot and the match for them.

Their captain Ganga is apparently the 'man', a very good motivator and has formed a team that has a lot of spirit - quite unlike the West Indies team of the last 10 years. Apparently their team/country manager is also very skilled, and making a big impact on this team and cricket in general in their country.

I hope that there is more guys like this over there that can step up to the WICB and get their crap together and be competitive again. They certainly seem to have the talent over there still.

shavey
28th October 2009, 11:40 PM
OMFG I wish I had Fox!

India are giving it to the Aussies after Punter sent them in to bat...

http://www.cricinfo.com/indvaus2009/engine/current/match/416237.html

Jarro
28th October 2009, 11:48 PM
Awesome batting from the Indians !!!

Dhoni was the real star scoring 120 odd from just over 100 balls ... super stuff to watch.

The pitch is a belter though so you'd expect the Aussies to be a chance of chasing down the 350 required

Yossarian
29th October 2009, 12:36 AM
Good to see watson bowl well.

goughy
29th October 2009, 08:31 AM
What a surprise! Under the circumstances a total surrender from our top order! Go figure...

Ponting has been on the wrong side of that many coin tosses that have helped cost us games, why put a team in when he wins......

Jarro
29th October 2009, 08:41 AM
Tough target to chase for our batsman, even on a good batting wicket. All the Indian bowlers had to do was keep the ball on a good length and we were thousands to get the runs.

Shame about Paine breaking his finger too :(

shavey
29th October 2009, 09:08 AM
The idea behind putting them in was the expected due in the evening which would hamper their spinners.

But really, are Australia better at setting or chase targets?

Fishman Dan
29th October 2009, 12:07 PM
OMFG I wish I had Fox!

India are giving it to the Aussies after Punter sent them in to bat...

http://www.cricinfo.com/indvaus2009/engine/current/match/416237.html

The fact he sent them in smells of match fixing.

Good to see Cam White and Sean Marsh in the team - specially picked to watch balls sail over their heads while watching Ponting's pre-determined bowling strategy - as bowlers went for anything from 7-9 per over.

sms316
29th October 2009, 12:17 PM
The idea behind putting them in was the expected due in the evening which would hamper their spinners.

But really, are Australia better at setting or chase targets?
Any life in the pitch for Hilfy in particular would have been there early. That pitch didn't look like a traditional Indian dustbowl at all. Wouldn't have been out of place on an Australian ground.

AndyP
29th October 2009, 04:23 PM
Where were all the posts full of praise when they won the Champions Trophy?

Yossarian
29th October 2009, 04:24 PM
We are aussies AndyP. Love to kick em when they are down. :)

raidrboy
29th October 2009, 04:28 PM
As a cricketer Ricky Ponting is super, as a captain in one day cricket his lack of imagination in tempting players to maybe make a mistake and bring about their downfall is non-existant. Why he continues to use Watson in the final overs shows his lack of leadership skills.Why didn't the Australians appeal against that curry muncher who crashed into Johnston for obstructing the fieldsman and at the very least why didn't the umpire speak to the batsman for running down the centre of the wicket. Congrats to India though for a comprehensive victory. With Tim Paine to miss the rest of the series with a broken finger our stocks are taking a belting.

Sydney Hacker
29th October 2009, 08:37 PM
As a cricketer Ricky Ponting is super, as a captain in one day cricket his lack of imagination in tempting players to maybe make a mistake and bring about their downfall is non-existant. Why he continues to use Watson in the final overs shows his lack of leadership skills.Why didn't the Australians appeal against that curry muncher who crashed into Johnston for obstructing the fieldsman and at the very least why didn't the umpire speak to the batsman for running down the centre of the wicket. Congrats to India though for a comprehensive victory. With Tim Paine to miss the rest of the series with a broken finger our stocks are taking a belting.

Why would you appeal against Dhoni for running into Johnson ??? It happens every game.

raidrboy
29th October 2009, 10:12 PM
Why would you appeal against Dhoni for running into Johnson ??? It happens every game.

Anything to try and put them off balance at that stage and there is the chance you just might break their concentration.

Sydney Hacker
30th October 2009, 06:39 AM
Anything to try and put them off balance at that stage and there is the chance you just might break their concentration.

But what exactly are you going to appeal against ????

Scottt
30th October 2009, 06:59 AM
Reading threads like this season after season makes me question the cricket IQ of the average Aussie fan...

Webster
30th October 2009, 07:02 AM
Scott, what are the chances of Hughes returning to the Test side for the first Test back here this summer? Has he "corrected" his issues with the short ball that saw the selectors drop him during the Ashes series?

Scottt
30th October 2009, 07:14 AM
Probably not, but that won't likely stop a burst of domestic season form from getting him back into the XI...

To be fair, he had a stint of poor form not much longer than Midge's, yet Midge kept his place. Hard to slot Watto down the order after what he did though.

Still, Kat and Hughes at the top, Punter at 3, Papercut at 4, Pup at 5 and North at 6 isn't a bad lineup. Huss had done alright in the limited overs stuff, but we'll see... he'll probably keep his place.

To me the big call for the selectors to make is the gloves. Manou and Paine have given them enough to consider.

Sydney Hacker
30th October 2009, 07:37 AM
To me the big call for the selectors to make is the gloves. Manou and Paine have given them enough to consider.

You won't be welcome back into NSW with talk like that !

Paine's broken finger came at a very bad time for him. He must of been pushing for a spot in the test team.

3oneday
30th October 2009, 08:06 AM
Apparently Haddin is fit and playing this weekend for NSW ?

I watched on and off the first 30 overs the other night, our bowling was pretty bad at that early stage.

Tendulkar got out to one he should have left but the amount of straight balls and balls sliding down leg, when it looked like Ponting had one fieldsman on the legside, was appalling.

I wondered about the decision to put them in, weird but explained by the dew expectation. Chasing 350 was probably not what they were looking for from their bowling though !

zigwah
30th October 2009, 08:08 AM
Scott, what are the chances of Hughes returning to the Test side for the first Test back here this summer? Has he "corrected" his issues with the short ball that saw the selectors drop him during the Ashes series?

Don't be silly Jack, Kim the big sook retired years ago :mrgreen:

Scottt
30th October 2009, 08:11 AM
Tendulkar got out to one he should have left but the amount of straight balls and balls sliding down leg, when it looked like Ponting had one fieldsman on the legside, was appalling.

Can you clarify, Pete - are you saying he bolers were poor, or that Ponting's field placings were rubbish?

3oneday
30th October 2009, 08:12 AM
They didn't bowl to the field.

zigwah
30th October 2009, 08:17 AM
Didn't see the game, but your never going to win a game if you don't bowl to your field, maybe the bowlers thought the field settings were rubbish?

3oneday
30th October 2009, 08:19 AM
I would have thought it pretty standard to ask your bowlers to bowl a line on or outside off ?

zigwah
30th October 2009, 08:38 AM
I would have thought it pretty standard to ask your bowlers to bowl a line on or outside off ?

As professional cricketers they should be able to hit a ten cent piece anywhere on the track a lot of the time, we don't have anyone that can do that on a regular basis, ala Pigeon.

Scottt
30th October 2009, 08:47 AM
Zig, how much do I have to pay you to not post about cricket this summer?

zigwah
30th October 2009, 08:52 AM
I'll do it for free

Scottt
30th October 2009, 09:00 AM
Don't give it away so easily! :lol: At last make me send you a bottle of plonk!

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:15 AM
Ponting ****ed up massively by putting them in first ... whgen will he ever learn :roll:

I agree with 31D too. Our bowlers were all over the place ... particularly Johnson !

Some of the balls they bowled to Dhoni later in the innings were absolute gifts !

Scottt
30th October 2009, 09:23 AM
Was it warm or humid in India the other day, Jarro?

Sydney Hacker
30th October 2009, 09:25 AM
Was it warm or humid in India the other day, Jarro?

Do you really need to think about the answer for that one ?

Scottt
30th October 2009, 09:29 AM
I just wondered how he enjoyed his holiday.

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:30 AM
Yes it was as humid as hell !!!

India got the better deal though as their bowlers moved the ball around a lot more than ours ..... Ponting simply got the call wrong

zigwah
30th October 2009, 09:31 AM
Don't give it away so easily! :lol: At last make me send you a bottle of plonk!

Unless you going to France anytime soon, it ain't worth it, haven't come across any english wines that do it for me.

zigwah
30th October 2009, 09:32 AM
Yes it was as humid as hell !!!

India got the better deal though as their bowlers moved the ball around a lot more than ours ..... Ponting simply got the call wrong

It's astounding how often he does it though.

Scottt
30th October 2009, 09:36 AM
Jarro, sadly you're a poster boy for the average Aussie fan. You wouldn't be a national selector or skipper for quids - 20 million Eddies who will ignorantly sledge your every decision from their couch...

sms316
30th October 2009, 09:37 AM
I actually think he got the call correct. They just didn't bowl well enough.

Scottt
30th October 2009, 09:38 AM
Nonsense, Shorne, it's always Ponting's fault. Didn't you read the manual?

sms316
30th October 2009, 09:41 AM
Nonsense, Shorne, it's always Ponting's fault. Didn't you read the manual?
Ponting has made his share of stuff-ups. This just wasn't one of them.

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Ponting himself admitted he ****ed up the call. Check out the post-match interviews and he said he thought the conditions would be better for the side batting last.

Saying that though, the bowlers really did let him down.

3oneday
30th October 2009, 09:45 AM
Can't possibly be Pontings fault that India scored 350, but on the other hand I thought if you won the toss you batted.

Maybe the Coach should be sacked, cause sure as hell someone must have told Ponting "if the duewet stuff comes in it will negate their spinners" ????

Sorry, that does sound a dumb thing ? Surely getting a score on the board is the priority ?

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:46 AM
Due = dew right ? :-s

3oneday
30th October 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks dewberry.

Scottt
30th October 2009, 09:48 AM
We lost by 99 runs, Jarro. If you want to go on arguing the main reason for that was the decision Ponting made at the toss, you're only serving to further indicate how little idea you have about the game.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, and yes, I already know, I'm on thin ice ;)

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:50 AM
Great idea Scott, piss off to bed :)

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks dewberry.

My pleasure :mrgreen:

just
30th October 2009, 09:51 AM
Jarro
Have you and AndyP been persecuting Scottt again?:smt018

Jarro
30th October 2009, 09:52 AM
Jarro
Have you and AndyP been persecuting Scottt again?:smt018

Not as yet, but it's on my to-do list.

markTHEblake
31st October 2009, 12:52 AM
I thought they lost because they took early wickets too quickly, thus letting the best one day batsmen in the world plenty of time to bat!

Yossarian
31st October 2009, 01:51 AM
We bowled average. And then batted average. India did not. Someone else should toss the coin instead of Pointing though.

Grunt
31st October 2009, 07:01 AM
Heard yesterday that Ponting admitted that he was prompted to bowl first after a previous game there where they batted first and when they bowled the dew was that bad the ball got that wet they were screwed and they got thumped again.

goughy
31st October 2009, 08:53 AM
Lee's come home injured! Who'd have thought?

Hamo84
1st November 2009, 08:58 PM
very disappointing performance!!! it made me laugh watching the NSW game this morning on fox with the likes of Clark, Hughes, Katich, Haddin etc and wondering why at least one if not more of them were not in the aussie 1 day team

raidrboy
2nd November 2009, 04:07 PM
Another of the Aussies is on the way home from India. James Hopes hamstring injury is not responding to treatment and Clint McKay from Victoria is flying in as his replacement.

Hamo84
2nd November 2009, 05:57 PM
Clint Who? never heard of him?? I am suprised they arent sending an established international player over there. Why not send Andrew Macdonald over? At least he has some albeit very limited experience... what about Simon Katich can bat and also be a pest with the Ball as well?

AndyP
2nd November 2009, 06:44 PM
They are probably sending him because he has been in good form in the T20 crap.

Sydney Hacker
2nd November 2009, 06:56 PM
They are probably sending him because he has been in good form in the T20 crap.

Which was also held in India so he should be acclimatised to the conditions. So it is probably a pretty good move if that is why they have done it.

BrisWesty
3rd November 2009, 10:23 PM
very disappointing performance!!! it made me laugh watching the NSW game this morning on fox with the likes of Clark, Hughes, Katich, Haddin etc and wondering why at least one if not more of them were not in the aussie 1 day team

Some love from someone in Adelaide for the NSW team. Actually those are 4 one day players you've listed that a lot of international teams would be very happy to have playing for them.

Yossarian
4th November 2009, 06:27 PM
The warriors are pumping NSW. Stand by for us to do something amazingly shithouse and lose the game.

Hamo84
5th November 2009, 01:46 PM
Some love from someone in Adelaide for the NSW team. Actually those are 4 one day players you've listed that a lot of international teams would be very happy to have playing for them.

I am a big fan of international players playing at least some Domestic games, and hey being in adelaide it is hard sometimes to get motivated to go see the local team play. We got pumped again, and mostly at the hands of a very underrated player Brad Hodge!!

Hamo84
5th November 2009, 01:54 PM
Clint Who? never heard of him?? I am suprised they arent sending an established international player over there. Why not send Andrew Macdonald over? At least he has some albeit very limited experience... what about Simon Katich can bat and also be a pest with the Ball as well?

turns out Macdonald is going over anyway, after the replacement that they sent for a replacement got injured.... This series is turning out to be a survival of the fittest rather than just a few games of cricket.

Jarro
5th November 2009, 08:47 PM
Watson is going beserk in the 5th one-dayer :shock:

51 off 40 balls whilst opening the innings

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 10:19 PM
I am going to have to stop calling watson a homo soon.

Jarro
5th November 2009, 10:20 PM
yes you will

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 10:24 PM
All sledging aside he has just found something inside himself. Good to see. He always had great technique, now he has the confidence as well. Go watto!

Bruce
5th November 2009, 10:39 PM
Paper cut of steel

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 11:04 PM
This could be a pretty large total, is the deck that flat?

markTHEblake
5th November 2009, 11:13 PM
must be, i havent seen australia finish off well after a great start for ages. after about 25 overs i would have tipped them to be all out for 240.

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 11:16 PM
It is nice to see, slowed down a bit now though. Cmon huss hit a six!

KristianJ
5th November 2009, 11:21 PM
Wish I could hit my cover drives like that...

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 11:21 PM
See hussey reads ozgolf.

zacdullard
5th November 2009, 11:36 PM
I love the running commentary here (http://www.cricinfo.com/indvaus2009/engine/match/416240.html).

Patel to Hussey, SIX, rushes down the track, picks the slower short-in-length delivery and wallops it way over midwicket boundary. Going going gone!

Kumar to White, FOUR, Crash Bang Wallop.

markTHEblake
5th November 2009, 11:43 PM
Ponting already owns the 3 highest losing 1st innings scores in one day cricket, another one wouldnt hurt him.

Yossarian
5th November 2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah the bowling line up isn't huge. But I am backing Shane "hetro" watson to take a five fa.

Yossarian
6th November 2009, 12:40 AM
Zigs man champers is bowling a treat...

Yossarian
6th November 2009, 12:47 AM
Ponting already owns the 3 highest losing 1st innings scores in one day cricket, another one wouldnt hurt him.

This could be an amazing early shout.

AndyP
6th November 2009, 01:21 AM
Let me know when the real cricket (tests) start.

Jarro
6th November 2009, 05:49 AM
Nice win for the new boys 8)

Watson took 3 wickets also, what the hell is going on over there !! :shock:

3oneday
6th November 2009, 08:06 AM

This could be an amazing early shout.

Not when your bowling attack is about shield level, but how good is Tendulkar ! Without him we waltz it in.

sms316
6th November 2009, 08:44 AM
Nice win for the new boys 8)

Watson took 3 wickets also, what the hell is going on over there !! :shock:
Watson seems to have developed some backbone. Can't be mere coincidence that he is now a Blue-Bagger.

Scottt
6th November 2009, 05:53 PM
And don't forget the rapid improvement in Katich and Hauritz after they both moved to Sydney, SMS ;) That's why our ranks are second to none.

LarryLong
6th November 2009, 06:33 PM
Not to mention Adam Gilchrist

Scottt
6th November 2009, 06:45 PM
Indeed, Larry. Such an embarrassment of riches that even a player as great as Gilly was one who spilled over.

Jarro
6th November 2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, makes me wanna uproot from QLD and relocate to NSW

:roll:

Sydney Hacker
8th November 2009, 04:14 PM
Zigs man champers is bowling a treat...

Zig would have to be barred up over the rug man at the moment wouldn't he ?

Hamo84
9th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Zig would have to be barred up over the rug man at the moment wouldn't he ?

Good old Doug the rug!!!!

AndyP
20th November 2009, 04:16 PM
Is anyone else going to the Brisbane Test? I am going to the first day's play.

It's disappointing to see that Rug Man got in for Clark, based on short game form.

goughy
20th November 2009, 05:29 PM
Clark is out of favour for some reason and will be lucky to see the test team again. They'd put an injured binga in before him. Sad for him I feel.

zigwah
20th November 2009, 05:38 PM
I liked Clark must be having some trouble still.

Bing like i said ages ago wont be playing test cricket again, ever

Dougie will be a revalation this summer

Pieface
20th November 2009, 06:18 PM
Clark did look very ordinary in the last test in England IIRC. Played him a game late and a game to long I think.

He just seems to have lost some zip.

AndyP
20th November 2009, 07:36 PM
Lee is a tosser. After his most recent injury he stated that he might have to retire from test cricket. How can you do that if you that if you aren't even playing tests?

zigwah
20th November 2009, 08:04 PM
Lee is a tosser. After his most recent injury he stated that he might have to retire from test cricket. How can you do that if you that if you aren't even playing tests?

exactly

Moe Norman
20th November 2009, 09:02 PM
Clark is 34 and has had a 12 month struggle with injury, whoever plays against the Windies will get an easy run anyway, but at the end of the day Clark will be close to 36 next major series, so he was pensioned. I really rate him, but understan the reasons, he might prove them wrong and good luck to him.

Shame they didn't apply the same theory to Hussey

LarryLong
20th November 2009, 09:37 PM
Bollinger might well carry the drinks if the selectors decide to play a spinner at the Gabba. I'm not a massive fan of Hauritz, but that's what I'd do with the squad that they have picked - Bollinger is just a poor man's Peter Siddle IMO.

As for the squad, I still don't get why they are playing Watson as an opener. There are at least three specialist openers in Australia that could all lay claim to a spot in the test team, and they want to persist with Watson.

And speaking of which, how many runs would Rogers need to make before he gets a look in for Australia? Two tons in two games this year, massive runs last season and he's still in the wilderness.

Moe Norman
21st November 2009, 10:32 AM
The Watson one is very strange.

He earned the spot and performed well in the role, but its clear to all and sundry he won't stay there and I don't think even he thinks he will stay there - so why go through the charade of leaving him there?

Katich
Hughes
Punter
Clarke
Watson
North

that should be the top 6

Scottt
21st November 2009, 10:37 AM
And speaking of which, how many runs would Rogers need to make before he gets a look in for Australia? Two tons in two games this year, massive runs last season and he's still in the wilderness.

Rogers is in the unenviable position of being hated by a large % of the nucleus of the test side.

He will be pushing shit uphill with a pointy stick to get another cap, even if he makes squillions for season upon season.

sms316
21st November 2009, 10:38 AM
Could you imagine the sooky conversations in the Victorian dressing room between Rogers and Hodge?

LarryLong
21st November 2009, 03:37 PM
Rogers is in the unenviable position of being hated by a large % of the nucleus of the test side.

He will be pushing shit uphill with a pointy stick to get another cap, even if he makes squillions for season upon season.

That's the widely accepted rumour, isn't it? He seems to be left with two options - make three squillion runs and hope the Aussie side start losing, or blow somebody.

zigwah
21st November 2009, 04:35 PM
I honestly think bollinger will take more wickets at a better avg than siddle this summer

Hamo84
21st November 2009, 04:39 PM
That's the widely accepted rumour, isn't it? He seems to be left with two options - make three squillion runs and hope the Aussie side start losing, or blow somebody.
how come he is so unpopular??

Hamo84
21st November 2009, 04:54 PM
The Watson one is very strange.

He earned the spot and performed well in the role, but its clear to all and sundry he won't stay there and I don't think even he thinks he will stay there - so why go through the charade of leaving him there?

Katich
Hughes
Punter
Clarke
Watson
North

that should be the top 6

Dump Hussey?? i would keep him for this summer and if he fails this summer i'd drop him for good.

I think Watson should stay as the Aggressive opener and have Katich as te more controlled opener. Just my 2c

Scottt
21st November 2009, 07:53 PM
how come he is so unpopular??

Because he's a ranga :lol:

TBH I don't know the specifics, but I do know several of them think he is pissweak for bailing from WA when he wasn't getting picked in the FRC side, rather than fighting for a place.

Scottt
21st November 2009, 07:56 PM
Dump Hussey?? i would keep him for this summer and if he fails this summer i'd drop him for good.

But that's the risk. He has been shown up vs India, South Africa and England lately, but with West Indies and Pakistan on the menu this summer (and Pakistan in England next winter), the guys who got picked for the 1st test will have to f**k up pretty badly to get dropped.

It's often said that "winning justifies selection", so those left out (Clark, Hughes etc) appear to be in for a long wait for a place to open up, unless there is an injury.

Moe Norman
21st November 2009, 08:45 PM

I think Watson should stay as the Aggressive opener and have Katich as te more controlled opener. Just my 2c

He's come up against genuine quality opponents 3 times in his career and been completely smashed, I'd rather not now reward his mediocre efforts in losing series with an open invitation to dine out on the WI attack that just let 600 through to the QLD 2nd XI side in 2 days.

All that does is perpetuate his spot in the side, only for him to fail once more when we really need him. Bit like Matty Hayden and not getting dumped after the last Ashes lost.

I agree with Dean Jones, when we lose an important series like that, heads should roll.

Scottt
21st November 2009, 11:30 PM
Exactly right, Moe.

The way the series' seem to fall, a lot of guys can have bad series' against quality teams, then get selected for a series like this on little more than long service, then they dine out, and score enough runs or take enough wickets that when they then have two quiet series again against quality, there's the reply of "well he's just come off 1100 runs at 400 against the Windies... you can't drop him after five bad digs."

Moe Norman
21st November 2009, 11:35 PM
Yep, after the last Ashes they dumped Clarke, Katich and Marto.

Clarke and Katich had to seriously fight back into the side and Martyn was incorrectly recalled for Brad Hodge.

Hayden, like Hussey this time - made a century in the last test to save his bacon and then dined out on average sides for a few more years before again failing when faced with quality opposition.

Scottt
21st November 2009, 11:40 PM
And if Huss fails more, look for Ponting to come out with the "he's a senior member of the group and what he brings to the side is much greater than making runs. We have a very young group..."

sms316
22nd November 2009, 08:33 AM
I honestly think bollinger will take more wickets at a better avg than siddle this summer
Interesting. I doubt he'll get more than one start. I just can't see the selectors going in with 4 quicks in a hurry.

Not after the last test in England.

henno
22nd November 2009, 08:35 AM
He's lucky to get a start. He'd better set the world on fire, or else they'll put him back in the storage shed.

sms316
22nd November 2009, 08:41 AM
He won't get on the field ahead of Johnson, Hilfenhaus & Siddle.

zigwah
22nd November 2009, 10:38 PM
He won't get on the field ahead of Johnson, Hilfenhaus & Siddle.

Johnson hasn't got it, i put him in the same catergory as brett lee.
He should be coming on 2nd or 3rd change and concentrate on his batting.

Hilf is a good 1st or second change bowler, he is not a new ball bowler, will have a short test career

Peter Siddle on the cusp of being a new ball bowler, i like him a lot, aggressive and likes to get in the batsmans face as does dougie

Dougie when he gets his chance, he will be a great strike bowler, he's angry and bowls with venom and is angry ****er who bowls great line and length.

IMHO :)

BrisWesty
22nd November 2009, 11:17 PM
watching the 20/20.
Enjoyed seeing the legends roll the arm over and wield the willow. A bit concerned about Voges bowling action though.

Moe Norman
23rd November 2009, 08:10 AM
How about McGrath to Warner?

"I'll just deck this one away from him slightly and give Warney a catch"

McGrath then bowls a perfect little seamer, that move away slightly and he nicks it to Gilly. Obviously overestimated Warner's ability, as he wasn't good enough to edge it to slip!

Bruce
23rd November 2009, 09:18 AM
Listening to Warney all night it might have been a good thing he never captained the test side. They'd only get through about 45 overs a day the way he makes field adjustments after every ball.

Jarro
23rd November 2009, 09:26 AM
How about McGrath to Warner?

"I'll just deck this one away from him slightly and give Warney a catch"

McGrath then bowls a perfect little seamer, that move away slightly and he nicks it to Gilly. Obviously overestimated Warner's ability, as he wasn't good enough to edge it to slip!

It was a cracker of a delivery, but really, a very ordinary shot :roll:

Anyone else reckon McGrath looks heaps better with a bit of weight on ? I thought he looked like he could step straight back into our test side ..... as Warne said, he's like an old Rolls Royce 8)

3oneday
23rd November 2009, 09:37 AM
Listening to Warney all night it might have been a good thing he never captained the test side. They'd only get through about 45 overs a day the way he makes field adjustments after every ball.

I noticed he actually spoke with his bowler, whereas Clarke didn't at all ? Clarke seemed more into the modern "speak" of executing plans and all that wank, whereas Warne was into the more personal way of doing things.

BrisWesty
23rd November 2009, 03:45 PM
Wanted Warnie to bowl a flipper for the fun of it while he was going through the over.

zigwah
24th November 2009, 05:26 PM
looks like Dougie isn't getting a run :(

AndyP
24th November 2009, 05:34 PM
Excellent. I was hoping to see some good bowlers.

With any luck Ponting will send them in first and knock them over in 2 sessions, then I'll see some batting. That's probably wishful thinking.

zigwah
24th November 2009, 05:40 PM
You don't think bollinger has what it takes to take wickets at test level?

AndyP
24th November 2009, 05:42 PM
I think the bowlers ahead of him deserve to be there.

zigwah
24th November 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm very interested to see how mitch bowls this series, considering the brittle opposition

KristianJ
24th November 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm very interested to see how mitch bowls this series, considering the brittle opposition

I'm probably more interested to see how he bats if the top 7 allow him to. If any team should enable him to show his all round credentials, this Windies side is probably the one.

markTHEblake
24th November 2009, 09:11 PM

With a bit of luck Chanderpaul will continue to be a run magnet and keep it interesting.

grandmasterb
24th November 2009, 09:26 PM
With a bit of luck Chanderpaul will continue to be a run magnet and keep it interesting.

It will be boring if he doesn't!

zigwah
24th November 2009, 09:27 PM
how has horry been bowling lately?

Bruce
24th November 2009, 10:11 PM
Chanderpaul and Sarwan are the lynchpins. Genuine class and actually seem to be interested in test cicket. Gayle might turn up - might not.

The bowling doesn't look much though.

Moe Norman
24th November 2009, 10:39 PM
Joel Garner dressed up as an offie might get some bounce on the Gabba wicket, we have a couple of blokes in our middle order who aren't a fan of finger spinners who get a bit of bounce.

Bravo is class at either discipline an they have some raw talent in their pace battery, but no consistency

3oneday
26th November 2009, 09:22 AM
Anyone else think that Clarke is overrated ? Seems more like a vote of jealousy from the public as they can't surely be talking about form !

Sydney Hacker
26th November 2009, 09:42 AM
Anyone else think that Clarke is overrated ? Seems more like a vote of jealousy from the public as they can't surely be talking about form !

His form in the tests can't be faulted. If the Aussies want to take 20/20 seriously imo he wouldn't be in the team nevermind captain of it.

But I agree the "vote" would be based on personality and lifestyle then cricketing ability.

AndyP
26th November 2009, 09:53 AM
It's overcast here today after several steamy days. Do we send them in if we win the toss?

Sydney Hacker
26th November 2009, 10:05 AM
It's overcast here today after several steamy days. Do we send them in if we win the toss?

And risk the game being over in 2 and a bit days ? I would hardly think Cricket Australia would let that happen :roll:

3oneday
26th November 2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah, lets bat !

Jarro
27th November 2009, 03:18 PM
Declared at 8/480 with nobody really going on with it after making a start :roll:

Pieface
27th November 2009, 03:28 PM
Siddle with a wicket on a no ball. that hurts!

AndyP
27th November 2009, 03:29 PM
That was a bit frustrating yesterday. I've been to better days of cricket, but it was still enjoyable.

It was surprising to see two sixes in the first session.

Sydney Hacker
27th November 2009, 03:35 PM
Gayle is trying to set a lead by the end of the day by the looks of it !

Pieface
27th November 2009, 03:43 PM
Siddle will be dark with himself. He's been carted. A wicket would have salved the pain.

Jarro
27th November 2009, 03:45 PM
Not a lot of tough questions being asked of the Windies batsman yet.

The pitch looks like a belter though !! 8)

3oneday
27th November 2009, 04:07 PM
Is our Rugby team bowling ?

Sydney Hacker
27th November 2009, 04:30 PM
Why did Gayle waste a referral with that one ???

Jarro
27th November 2009, 04:31 PM
Why did Gayle waste a referal with that one ???

Because he's the captain and the rest of their batting order looks pretty shaky.

As plumb as can be though wasn't it :shock:

Sydney Hacker
27th November 2009, 04:32 PM
Because he's the captain and the rest of their batting order looks pretty shaky.

As plumb as can be though wasn't it :shock:

He might regret it when one of his team mates are given out later on and they don't have any referrals left !

Jarro
27th November 2009, 04:34 PM
He might regret it when one of his team mates are given out later on and they don't have any referrals left !

For sure.

Maybe he got a call from his batting partner about questioning the decision ?

He seemed to be well on his way when he turned around and asked for a referral.

Pieface
27th November 2009, 04:51 PM
Tea break has helped settle the Aussies. Both openers in the space of two overs :D

Sydney Hacker
27th November 2009, 04:52 PM
Yep... the Windies have got the referral system down pat !

Pieface
27th November 2009, 04:53 PM
Bwahaha! the rot has set in!

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 08:48 PM

It's probably more to do with the fact that he was labelled as the future test captain, despite having no captaincy credentials, with his only claim to the position being the fact that he was the only batsman in the side under the age of 25.

This myth of him being the most suited person to be the next skipper has perpetuated itself and now looks likely to happen, despite there not being alot of evidence to suggest he is the best candidate.

Jarro
27th November 2009, 08:56 PM
I think the biggest threat to Clarkes credibility is his durability.

A lot of people are questioning whether or not his body is capable of playing the amount of cricket that the Australian captain is expected to.

LarryLong
27th November 2009, 09:08 PM
It's probably more to do with the fact that he was labelled as the future test captain, despite having no captaincy credentials, with his only claim to the position being the fact that he was the only batsman in the side under the age of 25.

This myth of him being the most suited person to be the next skipper has perpetuated itself and now looks likely to happen, despite there not being alot of evidence to suggest he is the best candidate.

Couldn't have put this better myself. I've been saying the same thing to a few mates for a few years now.

I think the biggest problem is the whole succession planning mentality that everybody, including the selectors, has at the moment. I don't believe in playing youngsters ahead of better players with a view to the future, and I don't believe in anointing your next captain when your current captain is likely to be around for a few more years. Pick your best side right now, and choose the next captain when the current captain gives it away.

For all we know the test side in two years time might include a better captaincy candidate than Clarke (Many would argue that the side right now includes better candidates than the captain and his deputy, but that's another argument). Katich, North, maybe even (shock, horror) a bowler should have the opportunity to be considered when the time comes.

3oneday
27th November 2009, 09:11 PM
Skull was saying he had cash on North at 40/1.

Jarro
27th November 2009, 09:13 PM
North looks like a pretty cool customer to me.

What's his cricketing brain like ? Has he ever captained his state ?

3oneday
27th November 2009, 09:15 PM
Dunno, but then had Clarke ?

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 09:22 PM
North is my smokey. He is 29, and has captained WA for 3 years in the shield, he has also captained his county sides during that period.

I'd rate him as the best captaincy candidate in the right age bracket, as Ponting will outlast the other potential skippers.

I believe the next test skipper may not even be currently playing Test Cricket, especially if Punter makes the next Ashes tour.

WBennett
27th November 2009, 09:46 PM
Kat has captained NSW.

Clarke would not be in the Australian team if he wasn't banging Lara Bingle.

George Bailey needs to move to NSW to get selected.

Moe Norman
27th November 2009, 09:53 PM
Kat is older than Punter though!

3oneday
27th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Bailey was a skull selection too ;)

Grunt
28th November 2009, 06:29 AM
Wonder if Hilditch will only look at the fact Hughes got out (58) in WA yesterday, when thinking if he is in enough form to beat Watson's 0 and get back in the test side.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26410980-5014023,00.html

Jarro
28th November 2009, 06:56 AM
I think Hughes still has a long way to go before he can cement his place in this test side

Grunt
28th November 2009, 07:03 AM
The thing is he lost his place faster than what others have done in the past. Also remember Phil Jaques did not actually get dropped he got injured.
Watson is a middle order batting all rounder not an opening batsman.

Just irks me how selectors in a number of sports pick guys out of position just to have them on the team. Look at how the NRL keeps picking non wingers for example.

goughy
28th November 2009, 07:50 AM
But watson did ok opening for a time. One failure so far, which reminded me very much of an out of form haden offering no shot.

AndyP
28th November 2009, 09:39 AM
The thing is he lost his place faster than what others have done in the past.
That's because a flaw was exposed, and would continue to be.

markTHEblake
28th November 2009, 10:33 AM
whats so good about scoring 58

Moe Norman
28th November 2009, 12:06 PM
The thing is he lost his place faster than what others have done in the past. Also remember Phil Jaques did not actually get dropped he got injured.
Watson is a middle order batting all rounder not an opening batsman.

Just irks me how selectors in a number of sports pick guys out of position just to have them on the team. Look at how the NRL keeps picking non wingers for example.

Yes at Katich is a middle order player opening as well, while Hussey is an opener batting in the middle order.

At the end of the day, you pick the best 6 batsmen and then sort out the order later, thats seems to be how it goes these days.

Katich doesn't even open for NSW

sms316
28th November 2009, 12:11 PM
Katich doesn't even open for NSW
Well, they do have 4 test openers in the side. Plus the incumbent Australian T20 opener as well.

Grunt
28th November 2009, 06:42 PM
How good was it watching the young bloke today get his century. Like the commentators said even though the loss was a big one that WI cricket had found something good to take away.

Was pretty good to see the crowd give the ton the respect it deserved too.

jimandr
28th November 2009, 06:49 PM
Well, the test is over in three days on a pretty good batting track. It looks like all the predictions about the weakness of the Windies are coming true.

So, did we learn anything from this test?

IMO, not much really.

Watson is allowed one failure, but maybe not another one in a first innings. There aren't any vacancies down the order, so its opening or nothing for him. I'm not in favour of fixing a middle order that isn't broken, or moving someone up to opener.

The bowlers all did their jobs, so no changes there. It's hard to tell because of the nature of the opposition, but Hauritz looked quite good.

goughy
28th November 2009, 07:20 PM
Shit! I was gonna work tomorrow and wanted to listen to it on the radio! I missed everything today...

Jeeze, that's pretty crap by the windies. Really, 480 is just shouldn't be enough to win by and innings+. Considering one of them got a century in the second innings too. The rest look like crap.

Hamo84
28th November 2009, 09:30 PM
Johnson hasn't got it, i put him in the same catergory as brett lee.
He should be coming on 2nd or 3rd change and concentrate on his batting.

Hilf is a good 1st or second change bowler, he is not a new ball bowler, will have a short test career

Peter Siddle on the cusp of being a new ball bowler, i like him a lot, aggressive and likes to get in the batsmans face as does dougie

Dougie when he gets his chance, he will be a great strike bowler, he's angry and bowls with venom and is angry ****er who bowls great line and length.

IMHO :)

so who in Australia do you think is a good new ball bowler. I reckon hilf is good from one and Siddle is perfect cos one is a swing bowler and the other is a hit the pitch hard bowler. Who could do a better job?

Hamo84
28th November 2009, 09:43 PM
How good was it watching the young bloke today get his century. Like the commentators said even though the loss was a big one that WI cricket had found something good to take away.

Was pretty good to see the crowd give the ton the respect it deserved too.

Australian crowds have always been the type to recognise excellent individual performances.

I watched Brian Laras last test on Australian soil at Adelaide oval when he made 226, one of the best innings i have ever seen. The crowd gave him a standing ovation for the 100, 150 and 200 and finally when he left the field.

Unlike the utter crap tht the ungrateful English supporters dished up to Ricky Ponting. They wouldnt know a great player when they see one.

As for the young fella who got the ton today I hope he makes a name for himself. Due to the issues over there atm he has a real chance to make a permanent spot for himself and make himself a regular figure in the team who we will enjoy watching in the tours in the future.

Hamo84
28th November 2009, 10:03 PM
Well, they do have 4 test openers in the side. Plus the incumbent Australian T20 opener as well.
I have to say tht Katich has proven himself as an opener, he seems to have the patience and the ability. Just need another player with a measured amount of agression and patience at the other end, I think id pick an in form Jacques over Hughes at this stage.

Moe Norman
28th November 2009, 10:27 PM
I believe Katich would be better at 3 or 4, and probably would prefer to bat there - but I'm sure he's also happy to open though.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 06:42 PM
How did Dougie go this week, pushing for selection?

AndyP
29th November 2009, 06:43 PM
How did Dougie go this week, pushing for selection?
Whose spot is he taking? Watson's?

zigwah
29th November 2009, 06:47 PM
he could, but i doubt it i don't see the windies being able to put up enough runs to win the series without watson in th side.

Hilfenhouse will not be in the test side long term, we'll have to wait and see.

Who would be your choice be out of these bowlers? Hilfenhouse, Rifle or Gillespie

Now is the time to see who can stand up, not when we start the ashes

AndyP
29th November 2009, 07:03 PM
It's probably not the best time to single out Hilfenhaus after he just got man of the match.

I don't know why you are comparing Reiffel, Gillespie and Hilfenhaus. They are different bowlers. Hilfenhaus is there because he offers something that Dougie, Johnson and Siddle do not, and that is a lot of swing with the new ball.

Winning by an innings plus doesn't point out any glaring deficiencies in the side. No change for the second test.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 07:13 PM
Argeed hilf did ok, pretty good actually just looked at the scores from the match.

My side would be

Katich
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
North
Johnson
Haddin, only because i know bugger all about who the keepers in the
country are.
Hauritz
Siddle
Hilfenhouse
Bollinger

zigwah
29th November 2009, 07:17 PM
winning by an innings plus doesn't point out any glaring deficiencies in the side. No change for the second test.

Didn't point out any bowlers that can destroy a brittle batting line up either

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 07:28 PM
Zig they scored four hundred runs in two digs. The bowlers did just fine.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 07:32 PM
Zig they scored four hundred runs in two digs. The bowlers did just fine.

Against a side that has been a rabble for the past 15-20 years.

A good side would tear them to pieces. A mediocre side would beat them but have the punters thinking the windies have a chance if they can fire.

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah cause the last series we played against the windies they didn't put up a serious fight.

AndyP
29th November 2009, 07:35 PM
You can only measure their performance against the side they are currently playing. The selectors chose not to make wholesale changes after the Ashes tour, and in any case, I don't think the bowling was the main issue over there once Johnson got going.

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 07:37 PM
I agree it was two batting collapses that really cost us the ashes. Mike hussey anyone.

goughy
29th November 2009, 07:39 PM
And the coin toss!

zigwah
Yeah cause the last series we played against the windies they didn't put up a serious fight.

The windies are a spent force and have been for a long time.

You can only measure their performance against the side they are currently playing. The selectors chose not to make wholesale changes after the Ashes tour, and in any case, I don't think the bowling was the main issue over there once Johnson got going.

Your right, but i prefer to focus my time on bowling attacks as that is what i'm into, I'd always prefer to see a bowler take 8 for against good opposition.

Yossarian
That to. Pointing seriously needs to let someone else do the toss.

AndyP
29th November 2009, 07:41 PM
Your right, but i prefer to focus my time on bowling attacks as that is what i'm into, I'd always prefer to see a bowler take 8 for against good opposition.They can't take 8 for if the spoils are shared. Even Hauritz got stuck into them.

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 07:41 PM
So who has torn the windies to pieces in the last 20, 30 shit lets make it 50 years.

EDIT

Cause I think winning by an innings and 80 odd runs in three days is pretty ****ing good.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 07:44 PM
Yoss if you really wanna talk about the windies i can tell you about the times the attack of Holding, Marshall and then the onslaught of Haynes, Greenich, the master blaster and the big cat destroying my brothers in the backyard over the years :)

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 07:47 PM
I don't want to talk about the windies other that the fact in the test match just gone we actually pulled their pants down and split them in half. Just because someone didn't take an 8 fa doesn't mean we didn't dominate them.

So your point IMO is completely invalid.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 07:49 PM
They can't take 8 for if the spoils are shared. Even Hauritz got stuck into them.

How do the shares get spoiled, bowlers get tired, bowlers go stale, but when you have class bowlers on fire they get shitty when you take them off they want to hit batsmen they want to make them bleed, and then fiegn sympathy as they are on the deck, how many times did you see Mcgrath or even Craig McDermott fire up because they were taken off.

I don't think any one in world cricket now, apart from dale steyns has the heart or the fire they need to destroy quality sides and single handedly win matches, they are the bowler i long and love to watch.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 07:50 PM
I don't want to talk about the windies other that the fact in the test match just gone we actually pulled their pants down and split them in half. Just because someone didn't take an 8 fa doesn't mean we didn't dominate them.

So your point IMO is completely invalid.

Oh well.

My point was completely lost on ur youth

3oneday
29th November 2009, 08:23 PM
Yoss if you really wanna talk about the windies i can tell you about the times the attack of Holding, Marshall and then the onslaught of Haynes, Greenich, the master blaster and the big cat destroying my brothers in the backyard over the years :)

so what ? It's not relevant, ancient ancient history.

Hilfenhorse and Hauritz were the only two that didn't get carted.

Moe Norman
29th November 2009, 08:24 PM
Zigwah, you are an idiot.

It was a beautiful batting deck and we put them away twice in less than 2 days for sub 420.

We have bowlers that can destroy a batting lineup, but it has been 35* in Brisbane and we're playing a weak lineup.

Johnson too 8-60 vs SA this time last year and Siddle put England to the sword with 5-20 only a few months back.

How many times in McGrath 'destroy' a batting lineup on a flat pitch in 35* tropical heat? The answer I think you will find is zero.

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Oh well.

My point was completely lost on ur youth

And mine on your stupidity.

EDIT

Did you even have a point bringing up Holding and stuff?

They were good, so what? So was bradman he is dead, we are talking about the Gabba test. We shafted them, without dougie.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Zigwah, you are an idiot.

It was a beautiful batting deck and we put them away twice in less than 2 days for sub 420.

We have bowlers that can destroy a batting lineup, but it has been 35* in Brisbane and we're playing a weak lineup.

Johnson too 8-60 vs SA this time last year and Siddle put England to the sword with 5-20 only a few months back.

How many times in McGrath 'destroy' a batting lineup on a flat pitch in 35* tropical heat? The answer I think you will find is zero.

Have a listen to yourselves, we are, what? number four now in the test nations pecking order, we bowled em out in 2 innings for under 400, what did we make in one 480? We excuse me if i don't see that as setting the world on fire.

You have listed 2 bowling performances in how long? wow we are on fire.

Batsmans paradise my arse, the GABBA never! is.
So you think hilf and siddle are in the same class as pidge, do you?

Tropical heat HA!!!! now that is funny, in Brisbane lmfao.The windies should have flogged us then lol.

Wake up and smell the roses we are number 4 in the world, Apart from Ponting who is a shit captain but an awsome batsman who have we got that is world class and will be mentioned in the same convos as the the greats when their time is over.

Your not an Aussie selector are ya Moe, you idiot

Sydney Hacker
29th November 2009, 08:48 PM
Zig, I thought you gave up the booze for the term of your wife's pregnancy ?

zigwah
29th November 2009, 08:50 PM
And mine on your stupidity.

EDIT

Did you even have a point bringing up Holding and stuff?

They were good, so what? So was bradman he is dead, we are talking about the Gabba test. We shafted them, without dougie.

The west indies are not the side they once were

Here you all are extolling our victory against a crap side, who cares they may as well have been playing essendon 2's.

Wait and see if this side we have atm plays the poms we will get pumped, take that to the bank and bookmark it sonny.

LarryLong
29th November 2009, 08:54 PM
So you think hilf and siddle are in the same class as pidge, do you?

Of course not. But Doug Bollinger is not in the same class as Siddle and Hilfenhaus. :razz:

Wake up and smell the roses we are number 4 in the world, Apart from Ponting who is a shit captain but an awsome batsman who have we got that is world class and will be mentioned in the same convos as the the greats when their time is over.

It's not quite the side that ruled cricket for the last decade or two, you're right, but we shouldn't expect a team full of all-time greats every season. We've been spoiled for a while.

You can only pick the best team from the players available, and the best team we picked was good enough to polish off the West Indies in three days. Can't see any changes after that result. Can you?

zigwah
29th November 2009, 08:59 PM
Of course not. But Doug Bollinger is not in the same class as Siddle and Hilfenhaus. :razz:

It's not quite the side that ruled cricket for the last decade or two, you're right, but we shouldn't expect a team full of all-time greats every season. We've been spoiled for a while.

You can only pick the best team from the players available, and the best team we picked was good enough to polish off the West Indies in three days. Can't see any changes after that result. Can you?

I believe doug is better than both or else why would i be banging on about it.

I think we need to play around with the side more when we are playing shit teams. so we don't get pansed by the better ones.

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 09:02 PM
Which is why when he had his chance at his home ground he bowled pump.

Sydney Hacker
29th November 2009, 09:03 PM
I believe doug is better than both or else why would i be banging on about it.

I think we need to play around with the side more when we are playing shit teams. so we don't get pansed by the better ones.

What team has "pantsed" us in the last 5 year or so ? We have lost series to teams that have played better cricket then us, but so what that happens.

There has not been too many series I remember that we were not competitive in.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:04 PM
What team has "pantsed" us in the last 5 year or so ? We have lost series to teams that have played better cricket then us, but so what that happens.

There has not been too many series I remember that we were not competitive in.

It's starting now, it started when they let Haydos play on.

Sydney Hacker
29th November 2009, 09:05 PM
It's starting now

When ??? I am pretty sure when I read the Sunday papers this morning it said we won by an innings, within 3 days !

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 09:06 PM
It's starting now, it started when they let Haydos play on.

What? That does not make sense.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:07 PM
Which is why when he had his chance at his home ground he bowled pump.

amazing that you say he failed in his test appearance, but lets let johnston slide, and a whole lot of other things that have been let slide.

Yossarian
29th November 2009, 09:08 PM
Johnson played well, then shit, the well again.

Dougie played average in his first test, maybe he has got it maybe he hasn't, I don't rate him.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:09 PM
When ??? I am pretty sure when I read the Sunday papers this morning it said we won by an innings, within 3 days !

What? That does not make sense.

We beat the west indies for god sake, and those same papers will right the headlines when we get flogged when it matters

Sydney Hacker
29th November 2009, 09:12 PM
We beat the west indies for god sake, and those same papers will right the headlines when we get flogged when it matters

And again, when has the Australian test cricket team been "flogged" in the last 10 year ???

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:14 PM
Johnson played well, then shit, the well again.

Dougie played average in his first test, maybe he has got it maybe he hasn't, I don't rate him.

So, Yoss my young friend, do you think bollinger will ever take more than 5 wickets in a test match? lor even play another test?

AndyP
29th November 2009, 09:15 PM
I'd like to mention that a team of greats lost the Ashes in '05.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:18 PM
we were beaten by the South africans when all you guys thought we would win the series and we lost the last ashes, these are the series that matter not beating the windies in 09/10.

anyone think we will lose a test to the windies? I do.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:19 PM
I'd like to mention that a team of greats lost the Ashes in '05.

And we have been struggling and scrambling since.

3oneday
29th November 2009, 09:20 PM

therein lies the issue. Did someone from the Aussie cricket team root your dog or something ?

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:21 PM
nah. just really wanted to see how good everyone thinks our side is atm.

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe i have been spoiled over the years watching the windies dominate world cricket and the lows of kim cry me a river hughes to allan border and the ressurection of aussie cricket into a 20 year dominance of world cricket.

Sydney Hacker
29th November 2009, 09:27 PM
we were beaten by the South africans when all you guys thought we would win the series and we lost the last ashes, these are the series that matter not beating the windies in 09/10.

I asked when we got "pantsed" by anyone.

Can you not accept that sometimes other teams play better cricket then us ???

Since the turn of the century we have played in 32 test series, we have won 25 of them and drawn another 2.

I am sure none of that means anything to you though and you will focus solely on the fact we have lost 5 series in that time, the "worst" series result was a 2 - 0 loss to India in India in a 4 test series.

That is hardly being "pantsed" as you put it !

zigwah
29th November 2009, 09:28 PM
I asked when we got "pantsed" by anyone.

Can you not accept that sometimes other teams play better cricket then us ???

Since the turn of the century we have played in 32 test series, we have won 25 of them and drawn another 2.

I am sure none of that means anything to you though and you will focus solely on the fact we have lost 5 series in that time, the "worst" series result was a 2 - 0 loss to India in India in a 4 test series.

That is hardly being "pantsed" as you put it !

refer to above post

Sydney Hacker
29th November 2009, 09:28 PM

We also then beat Sth Africa in Sth Africa when not many people expected us to do that...