PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 5 October 2009

jimandr
5th October 2009, 05:44 PM
A public holiday in NSW, so my first game for a month means the start of a new thread. There will be plenty of better scores than my 34 points at Camden Valley this week, but I should get a nearest the pin for my 7 iron to 149cm, so i'll see if anyone can beat that. Terrible short game though, so I might think about another few weeks off.

Fairways = 8 of 14
Greens in reg = 7 of 18
Putts = 31, zero 3putts, 1 fourputt!, 1 birdie
Up&Down = 4 of 11, inc 2 chips on 3 separate occasions

ParMaster
5th October 2009, 06:09 PM
Jim if you have a problem with your short game then you shouldn't take more time off. Just keep practicing and you'll improve in that area.

Anyway as for me...

Another game at NSW and I finally had a good game. I hit the ball well the entire day and shot a solid 40 points (21,19). I should have had 42 but I got royally stuffed on the last hole after I hit my 2nd shot into the greenside bunker (Par 5) and I'd have said (with a good lie) that there would be a 40% chance or so of me getting up and down. But no, My ball was in a divot and about 1 foot away from the front of the bunker leaving me next to no chance to getting it out. Anyway I took bogey.

12 GIR
30 Putts
3 birdies
3 bogeys
12 pars

Even though I've played 13 games there now I just can't get over how big the the dogleg is on the 3rd. Today I hit a hybrid as far left as I could, overhooked it and still was fine. Left with a 60m pitch.

The thing I'm ecstatic about is that......I PARRED ALL MY DEMON HOLES. w0000t

Played with KristianJ today and I hope he enjoyed his game.

BTW what shirt did you end up buying Kristian?

Pup

KristianJ
5th October 2009, 06:22 PM
Jim if you have a problem with your short game then you shouldn't take more time off. Just keep practicing and you'll improve in that area.

Anyway as for me...

Another game at NSW and I finally had a good game. I hit the ball well the entire day and shot a solid 40 points (21,19). I should have had 42 but I got royally stuffed on the last hole after I hit my 2nd shot into the greenside bunker (Par 5) and I'd have said (with a good lie) that there would be a 40% chance or so of me getting up and down. But no, My ball was in a divot and about 1 foot away from the front of the bunker leaving me next to no chance to getting it out. Anyway I took bogey.

12 GIR
30 Putts
3 birdies
3 bogeys
12 pars

Even though I've played 13 games there now I just can't get over how big the the dogleg is on the 3rd. Today I hit a hybrid as far left as I could, overhooked it and still was fine. Left with a 60m pitch.

The thing I'm ecstatic about is that......I PARRED ALL MY DEMON HOLES. w0000t

Played with KristianJ today and I hope he enjoyed his game.

BTW what shirt did you end up buying Kristian?

Pup

One of the khaki-ish Greg Norman performance ones. Plus I ended up buying a hat clip and ball marker as well :)

And yeah, really enjoyed myself out there. I'm struggling to remember my exact score out there, but my main highlights were a birdie on the 5th, a tracer bullet tee shot that somehow managed to get no higher than a few metres off the air, follow the cart path and come to rest in the middle of the fairway at the crest of the hill, and a nice sand save on the 16th out of one of the greenside bunkers. At the end though, it was a great experience to soak up, and a nice public holiday treat.

ParMaster
5th October 2009, 06:30 PM
That tee shot on 15 was a joke. Just immensely lucky.

Was a great sandsave on 16 aswell.

How much was the ballmarker and clip thingy? I bought one but got no idea how much they cost.

KristianJ
5th October 2009, 06:36 PM
That tee shot on 15 was a joke. Just immensely lucky.

Was a great sandsave on 16 aswell.

How much was the ballmarker and clip thingy? I bought one but got no idea how much they cost.

$19.95...I thought I might as well splurge a little bit extra. And I know it was a horrendous shot on the 15th, but sometimes highlights can constitute ugly shots with good results (and I had more than 1...). :lol:

ParMaster
5th October 2009, 06:42 PM
:lol:

Very true.

So did anyone else play today on this wonderful public holiday? :)

PeteyD
5th October 2009, 06:45 PM

Trying to tell Grandpa how to suck eggs pup :D:D

No public holiday in normal parts of the country.

WBennett
5th October 2009, 07:10 PM
Just got back from a weekend at Yarrawonga.

Couldn't get on the Murray on Saturday so played the Lakes. On a cold and miserable rainy day, I leaked shots everywhere on the front 9 but came home strong for a net 74. Thought I left about 5 or 6 shots out there easily, then found out the CCR was 73.

Came home via Howlong today - a shocking 27 points. Started the round with the hooks, finished with the slices. I have no idea what happened!

Will play both again next year when we return for a week long holiday, and will have some unfinished business!

adlo
5th October 2009, 08:12 PM
Had a hit with Zuesgolfer today.

Played pretty rubbish, but worked out a few stats and realise it was mainly some really bad tee shots causing blow out holes in my score the past few rounds.

Shot 89 ( 47/42 ) but hit 10 fairways and 5 GIR with 31 putts. Just too many costly double/triple bogeys.

Every missed fairway was in deep crap. My swing is a lottery at the moment, never know what is going to happen.

oz
5th October 2009, 08:53 PM
Played in a friendly grudge match / road trip to Cobram today. Played the Old course. It is just a great track. Beautiful layout, great shotmakers holes, and the conditioning was pretty darn good.

As for my golf, it was pretty poor, as has been my usual form of late. 30 points was all I could muster, and I just couldn't buy a putt. Managed an NTP and 2 skins, to keep me from losing my shirt.

ParMaster
6th October 2009, 08:31 PM
Played today in the Royal Canberra Junior Open (At Royal Canberra suprisingly enough) :mrgreen:.

I shot +5 (+6, -1) in a round that included 2 doubles, 4 birdies, 5 bogies and 7 pars. On the front 9 I was playing well but my driving was just "off" and I was spearing many of them.

F9 Highlights:

4th hole: 490 par 5 -Hitting the green in 2 from 235m with a 3wood. 2 putt for bird.
5th hole: Almost did a yoss by hitting the ball into yourself off a tree. :D
6th hole: 430m par 4 - 4i to 15 feet from 180m. 2 putt par.
8th hole: What a POS. Played off a temporary tee from "97m" to the middle of the green. I hit a soft SW that went through the green on the full..

B9

12th hole:375m par 4 - (Index1) Finally got my driver working. Hit every drive good here on in.
Nice long drawed driver to 135m. I hit an 8i to 3 inches! :evil: The ****er lipped out.
15th: 445m par 5 - Driver drawed around corner to about 180m. Hit my new halo hybrid out of the thick rough and at one stage it was 1inch from the hole. It ran through the green and I got U&D for birdie.
16th: 400m par 4 - Hit an awesome drive to 165m. 6i to 10 feet and sunk the birdie.
18th: 505m par 5 - Smashed a drive down the left side. Ripped a 3wd into the front right bunker from 230m and was left with a 35m uphill bunker shot. Landed it about 33m and it spun back 5m and back down a tier.
I sunk the 25 footer to leave with an under par back 9! 8-)

****ing long day. Wake up at 5 and get back and 7:30.

Anyway I came 3rd or so overall and -1 won the day. +3 2nd.

Grunt
6th October 2009, 08:36 PM
Nice win Puppet.

ParMaster
6th October 2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks grunt. The important thing is I enjoyed the day.

I'm glad we have recip rights there cause I will be returning.

Muddaafaarker thanks for the tips (they did help). :) Also you know how much the members guest fee is?

ParMaster
6th October 2009, 11:07 PM
woot

I won the overall comp at NSW. :):)

henno
6th October 2009, 11:14 PM
Nice work, pup.

Dotty
6th October 2009, 11:24 PM
Well played Parmaster.

How you can hit a hybrid out of the thick rough on 15 ? After ...
12th hole:375m par 4 - (Index1) Finally got my driver working. Hit every FW here on in.

Don't tell me you've invented the Reverse-Miro ?

ParMaster
6th October 2009, 11:38 PM
oh thats a mistake

I hit T shot in the rough on 15 but it was still a good drive. I hit every drive from 12 onwards well.

And thanks.

KristianJ
7th October 2009, 09:58 AM
woot

I won the overall comp at NSW. :):)

I saw that in the Telegraph sports results last night...well done!

Lucasto23
7th October 2009, 08:02 PM
Chopped it around nudgee south today 28 points
36 putts (1x4 putt 3x3 putts) :(
2 Shanks with full wedges and a flubbed approach on 9 from 80 m out.

Hit driver pretty solid and just sucked from 105 and in :(

Won the most skins on the Nudgee north 9 hole game by making birdie on the 5th putting my PW approach to 4 feet ;)

mike
9th October 2009, 12:08 AM
Played @ Gordonvale with Solarman and the big bird.
41 points. This game is too easy sometimes. :roll:

I was going alright for most of the front nine. Got to the par 3 12th (I was 3 up on solarman by then) I hit a ripper of a shot to about 4 metres right of pin high. Solarman said "Jeez you give me the ****ing shits you ****ing little **** "

It was at this point I realised just how good i was going.

adlo
9th October 2009, 12:10 AM
Nice one mike

mike
9th October 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks mate. Something clicked. Not sure what actually clicked but I haven't hit irons that good for 100 years.

I think it was the ball.

zacdullard
9th October 2009, 12:31 AM
Well played, I often blame the ball for a bad round not a good one.

adlo
9th October 2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks mate. Something clicked. Not sure what actually clicked but I haven't hit irons that good for 100 years.

I think it was the ball.

What ball? I need to get me some

mike
9th October 2009, 12:40 AM
TM TP Reds.

adlo
9th October 2009, 12:48 AM
Been there, tried those. Bugger, no quick fix for me.

mike
9th October 2009, 12:49 AM
I used a #3.

adlo
9th October 2009, 12:54 AM
Intriguing. That explains a lot for me Mike

mike
9th October 2009, 02:24 PM
Your post has been reported.

Ned
9th October 2009, 06:09 PM
Played a round of match with with a mate today.

Short of it is was beaten 2 and 1.

Had 7 shanks to give the day just that bit more of a flavour!

Lucasto23
9th October 2009, 06:56 PM
Chopped around Gailes 92/80
Happy with putter :) and 30 ft birdie on the first. will forget the rest of the day ;)
31 putts
6 fairways
4 Greens in reg - Ball striking is killing me
Could not hit my drive for the last 5 holes it just wanted to go right.

ParMaster
9th October 2009, 07:01 PM
Congratulations mike. Was it enough to win you the comp?

I just went to the park today and was hitting the ball great. Hopefully I can keep this up untill sunday. :)

razaar
9th October 2009, 08:34 PM
Chopped around Gailes 92/80
Happy with putter :) and 30 ft birdie on the first. will forget the rest of the day ;)
31 putts
6 fairways
4 Greens in reg - Ball striking is killing me
Could not hit my drive for the last 5 holes it just wanted to go right.
Played with Lucas today and made the point..."bloody hell Lucas your swing reminds me of parmaster's".:wink:

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 10:41 AM
No way anyone else can remotely swing like me...

;)

Courty
10th October 2009, 03:17 PM
Some fun to be had with the boys (and Julie) at Sea Temple this morning. I scored 28 but it felt way worse than that. I was trying do do some stats, but couldn't remember the details of each shot as I'm not familiar enough with the course. Btw, I won my match against Russell 8/6. 8)

mike
10th October 2009, 03:27 PM
31 points at the same place as courty. Played good. Scored poorly.

Ned
10th October 2009, 06:11 PM
Mareeba GC Single Stableford

31 points (11/20)

29 putts (All wedges - no putter in the bag)

Driving is going well, however between the hooks and the shanks it is making the rest of the game very unenjoyable.

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 07:17 PM
Had a game today at NSW off the blues (Stroke event).

Shot 85/81 and the course rated 75.

47 on the first 9 and 38 on the back so at least I go into tommorrow hitting it Ok.

Finished with a great birdie though. 7i from 130m from under a tree to 25 feet and sunk the putt.

zacdullard
10th October 2009, 07:19 PM
Monthly medal today.

83/68 par 71

I hit the ball well but placed myself in the worst spots all day, I need to work on course management tomorrow.

TourFit
10th October 2009, 07:22 PM
Mt Lawley GC...36pts, but played better than the score indicates.

Our greens were only cored and sanded 3 weeks ago and were a little bouncy, especially as the ball slowed around the hole. I felt I putted great and it was just that the greens weren't rolling that true.

Anyway, at least the h'cap DIDN'T go out for once.

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Nice round Zac.

Did you lose anything from hcp?

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 07:53 PM
Actually the course rated 76 today. So 4 over par.

And I forgot to mention but the guy in the group behind us had a hole-in-one on the 17th hole. He walked up the the hole and threw his clubs up into the air and was over the moon.

Good on him

Balls went down to 81. (w00t I win one. :))

zacdullard
10th October 2009, 08:01 PM
Nope, i'm sick of playing a course where the ccr is always very low.

adlo
10th October 2009, 08:03 PM
Nope, i'm sick of playing a course where the ccr is always very low.

Zac, a course rates low because it is easy. The system works.

zacdullard
10th October 2009, 08:06 PM
I have played easier courses where the ccr was the same as the par.

henno
10th October 2009, 08:08 PM
EDIT: CCR, not ACR stoopid

adlo
10th October 2009, 08:11 PM
I have played easier courses where the ccr was the same as the par.

You cant argue with CCR. It is how the course rates on the day. It the course was harder the CCR would be higher.

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Henno it was absolute pissing down rain for 2 holes. But apart from that it wasn't too hard.

Wasn't too windy. Pretty calm today.

38 points (70 nett) won the comp fwiw.

zacdullard
10th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Why the NCR on your golflink PM?

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 08:21 PM
See my post in "Things that piss you off."

I forgot to hand the card in.

zacdullard
10th October 2009, 08:24 PM
You've done that a couple of times, how do you forget to hand your card in?

PeteyD
10th October 2009, 08:25 PM
Starts thinking about Boobs after the last putt drops.

ParMaster
10th October 2009, 08:26 PM
Wanted to get out of there because it was raining a little and we were going to a restaurant.

You have to go into the clubhouse to hand the card in.

Yossarian
10th October 2009, 08:26 PM
Starts thinking about Boobs after the last putt drops.

i've done this mid swing. Didn't end well.

kev
10th October 2009, 09:19 PM
Sandringham today with Bruce, FearsomeKoala and v205

98/76 (47 and 51)
5fairways hit
2 lost balls
41 putts (20 and 21), 1 x 1 putt, 11 x 2 putts and 6 x 3 putts.

TourFit
11th October 2009, 12:30 AM

Having seen you swing recently, it looks like you think YOU ACTUALLY HAVE BOOBS !!!!

I've thought about swinging during my swing....with Natalie Gulbis!

PeteyD
11th October 2009, 07:36 AM

I think of them all the time, stops them popping up as an unexpected distraction.

Minor_Threat
11th October 2009, 04:41 PM
Hit a hit today at Newcastle..

35 points, very happy with that, as I have found out I have torn meniscus in left knee and it really started playing up big time during the Back 9.

Greens still long, slow and bumpy after coring.

3 birdies
3 bogies
1 double
30 putts
1 x 3 putt
10 greens

jimandr
11th October 2009, 04:45 PM
I've got man-boobs, but I try not to think about them when I play. I don't want to think too much at all about my game at Camden Valley today. I hit the ball really well, but scored 34 points. After 16 holes I'd recorded 1 birdie, 1 bogey, 11 pars, two triples and 1 double. I lost interest a bit on the last two.

Fairways = 9 of 14
Greens in reg = 9 of 18
Putts = 37, 1 birdie, 1 fourputt, 3threeputts
Up&Down = 2 of 6
Sandsaves = 1 of 2

zacdullard
11th October 2009, 07:47 PM
41 points today.

12 GIR
4/13 Fairways
38 Putts

I hit it the best I ever have today, the only thing is I can't putt the ball in the hole outside 1m.

On the upside i'm down to 14, my lowest handicap ever.

EDIT- I had this score with 2 wipes and a one pointer, I have got to eliminate those bad holes.

Minor_Threat
11th October 2009, 08:01 PM
Well done Zac..

Keep it up mate!

ParMaster
11th October 2009, 08:35 PM
Keep it going Zac. Well done.

I'm going to post up later tonight or tommorrow about my match play game today. I lost 1 down on the 36th hole. Was a very close game and I played very well.

I actually had 4 shots less than my opponent but still lost. I'm very disappointed in the result but you can only control your game..

AndyP
11th October 2009, 08:58 PM
Well done, Zac. Did you hand your card in? I hear teenagers are pretty hopeless at this.

zacdullard
11th October 2009, 09:00 PM
:mrgreen:

I made sure I handed it in, although the thought crossed my mind as now I get one less shot for the matchplay semi next week.

ParMaster
11th October 2009, 09:04 PM
Well done, Zac. Did you hand your card in? I hear teenagers are pretty hopeless at this.

:razz:

At least today I didn't need to use a card. :roll:

Courty
11th October 2009, 09:11 PM
Well done Zac.

I played ambrose with some workmates as part of our work social day. We went around Cairns in 62 which included 2 eagles (one was exclusively mine) and no holes worse than par. My ball-striking was the best it has been in ages. I just hope I can keep it going.

ParMaster
11th October 2009, 09:27 PM
Did you win anything courty?

Courty
11th October 2009, 09:32 PM
Did you win anything courty?

Don't think so, PM. Our gross score was 2nd best, but with me & another guy off 14, our aggregate handicap would have brought us back to middle of the field.

razaar
11th October 2009, 11:30 PM
Good stuff Zac, although 38 putts is a bit ordinary. Check your head , hips and legs don't move during the putting stroke.

SeldomEagles
12th October 2009, 12:27 AM
-1 par comp. 32 putts, 9 fairways, 4 up and downs, a sand save, 6 pars and a birdie. Rest of the round train wreck stuff

BrisWesty
12th October 2009, 11:35 AM
36 points at Caboolture on Saturday.
Greens freshly cored.
5/13 fairways
11/18 effective tee shots.
2/18 GIR - got to improve there!
29 putts - must be suited to bumpy greens where you hit & hope.
Approaching wasn't that flash but was very happy from the fringes.
Came home with a better score on the back 9 than on the front 9 which hasn't happened for a while. Previously been getting tired with a few holes to play.

Next likely round - Ozgolf Champs!

Pieface
12th October 2009, 12:58 PM
Broke 100 for the second time yesterday. I kept pulling everything left but managed to deal with it relatively well. Should have been better than a 98 but I came home triple, quadruple bogey in epic choker style :cry: Worked out to a nett 68 with my newly acquired handicap. Hoping I can can keep improving over the next few weeks and make an impact after the club champs finish.

adlo
12th October 2009, 12:59 PM
How did the group lessons go?

Pieface
12th October 2009, 01:06 PM
How did the group lessons go?

Good Mate. We have done putting, chipping and pitching over the first two sessions. I have got some good drills to practice on that side of things so if nothing else I think that will be of benefit going forwards.

We start looking at the full swing next week - grip, posture, alignment. I think it's going to be a very beneficial lesson for me as I am weak in that area.

adlo
12th October 2009, 01:14 PM
I think you will be breaking 90 with some posture changes. Keep it up.

Pieface
12th October 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.

I feel like if I get the set-up right I'll gain a lot in consistency. That is what is killing my score at the moment - hitting a dud tee shot or duffing the approach shot. The putter is consistently under 2 per hole now, I just need to get there reliably in 2 or 3 strokes instead of 4-5.

adlo
12th October 2009, 01:42 PM
Yep. You had great feel around the greens. Keep us posted.

TourFit
12th October 2009, 01:59 PM
Yep. You had great feel around the greens. Keep us posted.

Agreed...

For someone who has played such a short time as you, your touch on the greens was, on the whole, very good. That is worth bottling. Putting touch sometimes NEVER comes to some golfers...

razaar
12th October 2009, 07:32 PM
Played in my first Vets comp today from the back tees at my home track. Played two over handicap with too many dumb mistakes. A highlight was hitting a drive to within 135 metres of the green on the par-5 15th; 7 iron to the green for a birdie.:shock: Flushed the driver most of the day and then waited and waited.

mike
13th October 2009, 12:52 AM
Going through a real purple patch at the moment. 6 of my last 10 games I've beaten my handicap. Make that 7 if you count 31 points at Sea Temple. (My 31 points there was better golf than my 41 points at Gordonvale 2 days prior.)

Pennants yesterday. I was down by 1 with 6 to play and was thinking my swing had deserted me. A birdie and 4 pars in the next 5 holes got me home 3/1.

Life is so much more enjoyable when you're playing good golf.

adlo
13th October 2009, 12:59 AM
Good shooting Mike. Who says the latest and greatest technology doesn't help us golfers?

mike
13th October 2009, 01:07 AM
Have you checked the 'witb' in my sig?

mike
13th October 2009, 01:08 AM
Ah f**k it. It's gone. How long has it been like that?

adlo
13th October 2009, 01:10 AM
No idea. What was it?

mike
13th October 2009, 01:11 AM
Give me a minute

mike
13th October 2009, 01:15 AM
Fixed.

adlo
13th October 2009, 01:21 AM