PDA

View Full Version : Well done, Goughy!

AndyP
4th October 2009, 01:49 PM
Well done, goughy!
http://multisportaustralia.racetectiming.com/Splits.aspx?RaceId=339&EventId=1&AthleteId=33076

That's a half ironman, peoples! 1.8k swim, 90k ride and 21.1k run in under 6 hours. Legend!

Grunt
4th October 2009, 02:02 PM
Nice work Goughy. Looks like you really brought it home on the run too. Over 150 place improvement.

razaar
4th October 2009, 02:06 PM
Big effort mate, well done. What's next?

Dotty
4th October 2009, 02:07 PM
Well done, Goughy!

Now you can get back to playing golf.

MegaWatty
4th October 2009, 02:07 PM
Man, that's impressive stuff! I did a 106km ride last year, and was rooted. Add the run and swim to that....WOW!

just
4th October 2009, 02:10 PM
Great stuff Goughy!

sms316
4th October 2009, 02:10 PM
Would have been so much quicker if he had of driven instead.

Phenominal effort.

adlo
4th October 2009, 02:33 PM
Incredible. Well done.

markTHEblake
4th October 2009, 04:12 PM
whats so hard about bike riding, you sit down and can rest most of the time?

Yossarian
4th October 2009, 04:23 PM
Well done goughy, that is a serious effort!

Minor_Threat
4th October 2009, 04:29 PM
Great effort mate..

Very impessive!

zacdullard
4th October 2009, 05:26 PM
Well done. A fabulous effort!

Iain
4th October 2009, 06:10 PM
Top effort Dean!!

Eag's
4th October 2009, 06:13 PM
Only 21.1k pfft!! soft ;)
Well done mate :smt023

goughy
4th October 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks all! I'll post again later but I am royally f'ed right now. Can't even be bothered jumping in the spa, just collapsed in bed. Honestly, too stuffed to even feel elated at finishing let alone breaking 6 hours which was my ultimate goal!

Ned
4th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Would have been so much quicker if he had of driven instead.

Phenominal effort.

Pie Carbo Loading!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Well done Dean.

Went to school with Brad Bevan and it took two of us to match him as training partners to push him all the time.

Participating in the HM in itself requires the determination and commitment of a strong person.

To bust 6 hours is HUGE.:smt038

goughy
4th October 2009, 09:30 PM
Well, I've made it out of bed and am in the recliner without enough strength in my legs to push the foot rest down so seems an appropriate time to post a report. Firstly, the two things I didn't like about the event. First is my swim time. It's my strongest discipline and I did take it very easy in it and my time shows. But when I hopped out I felt like I hadn't really done anything. The other thing was the seclusion of the event. Pretty much everyone stayed on the Goldie or in Brissie so that afternoon there wasn't much atmosphere. Other events it's just a throng of people around. Elysia (my friend camping with me and doing the sprintman) and I went to the pub and the venue for dinner and it was dead. But if that's the worst I can come up with I'll take it.

We got down there Saturday morning about 9am and went for an easy ride over the course. People had been making comments about the bad road surface, but really it was no worse than any suburban area. After the ride we went back and set up camp, then road over to the venue which was only about 3k away. Did the registration thingy and then set our bikes in transition. Had a look around at the expo; got myself a GCHIM t-shirt, then walked back to our camp. Had a nice dinner, watch a couple of tri events on my laptop and then hit the sack.

Good old daylight savings!! For some reason, my phone's alarms went off at 2:30 though set for 3:30, and then went off at 3:30 again! Packed up camp and headed over to the venue. Had my usual breakfast then went about setting up my transition. I took a lot of stuff with me and rather than rushing my T times I planned on using them to set myself comfortably for my run and ride.

Didn't start to freak out too much until I was about to get into the water to start. It was a deep water start which I haven't done before. Was floating waiting for our start when I realised I had floated right to the front of the start!! I made a joke about how I was gonna get smashed, what am I doing at the front and then our wave was off. And I smashed good and well! New goggles never worn were filling with water, I drunk a stack of it while they were swimming over me and then just set in an easy pace that I felt wouldn't wreck me. That much I got right, though my coach will kill me for my time! I really should have swum 4 to 5mins faster without hurting myself any more. But you live and learn.

Got myself into T and again took my time preparing. Had a banana and set up then off I went. I had a plan for my ride and can say that I stuck to it the whole way; infact I really did stick to my plan from the start of the race right to the end. And that took a lot of effort as on the first lap of the ride I didn't overtake a single person, but had them zoom past me. But I wanted to keep my hr around 140bpm, and that's what I did, regardless of my speed. In the end my ride speed averaged at only 28.something k/hr which isn't fast. But I was worried about my legs. I downed 3 bottles of water, one of gatorade, a meusli bar and a pack of GU chomps (jube like lollies that are similar to gels but not as messy). That seemed to work well for me because my mouth didn't feel dry at any point, which for me is the indicator of dehydration. Was feeling a bit sore in the butt on the second lap and my hammies were giving me hell on the third and was doing lots of stretching.

Then it was into T and time for the run. More sunscreen on (didn't do a great job, burnt as all heck on my shoulders), another banana and half a small bottle of gatorade, grabbed another meusli bar and pack of chomps and off I went. This was where my self control on the bike came into play. I felt pretty good at the start of the run. In fact, I'm sure my average pace never got over 5:30/k and was often down in the 5:10/k range for the first 7k lap. At this stage I was thinking 'could I do a HM pb during a HIM???' The answer is NO. Legs got heavy during the early stages of the second lap and was out to the 5:40 to 6:00/k pace and the third lap was even worse, rarely under the 6:30/k pace. But my running form must be looking good even when bonked because everyone was telling my I was running well and looking good, while they were going around me!!!!!! I got down to the finishing straight, heard the announcer calling my name and then I hit a sprint to the finish; which prompted the announcer to say that I must have taken it too easy; I wanted to give him the finger after that.

After I'd started to recover I got a bad case of the coughs, and got a bit panicky as my hr got back up to 120bpm and was struggling a bit. My friend went and grabbed my puffer from the van (which I use like once a year) and started to feel better. But man are my legs sore!!!! Can't bend down to pick something up off the ground. But it's a feeling I love.

My training was close to what I think would get me another half hour off my time. Just lengthening my rides a bit (today was my longest ride by 15k) and some more brick sessions, though I did feel good off the bike. Only 3 runs over 10k since GCHM wasn't enough but you do what you can. I'd like to do one of these going for it in the each discipling rather than pacing myself - I'd like to learn more what my limits are rather than just taking it easy.

Next focus for me is Moolooaba next March. I'll do a number of sprint distance events leading up to that one, then the next big big one will be the Tour de Tri 24 hour Tri relay next June, where I'm planning on having a go solo! Then it'll be GCM where I'm planning on doing the marathon (sub 4 hours for sure Andy!!) Then GCHIM next year - sub 5:30 will be the goal. I haven't yet decided if I'm doing the Hell of the West in Gundi next year. Bit close to Mool.

moree golfer
4th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Have a go at Hell of the West Goughy! You only live once. Well done at achieving your goal and I sure know what it's like reaching a goal like that.

I am competing in the Walcha MTB Teams Challenge for the third year in a row and we hope to bring it home under 5 hours over 75kms up hill and down dale in sunny Walcha (Nthn Tablelands of NSW). I am going for my third real training ride tomorrow early with the event looming on the last w'end in October.

markTHEblake
4th October 2009, 10:47 PM
Went to school with Brad Bevan and it took two of us to match him as training partners to push him all the time.

I used to work with a guy called Brad Bevan, one day he comes over to my house cos he couldnt get his Mac working properly (as most mac users do) while he is here, I am also selling my house and 10 real estate agents drop around to do their group appraisal.

Afterwards my agent rings me back and says all the guys in the office are busting to know what "The Croc" is doing in your house, and I am like "who is the Croc?"

Turns out this guy is a legend of some sort. In the end he decided not to be a mortgage broker and moved back to Cairns i think, Do you know how he is doing these days?

Courty
4th October 2009, 10:51 PM
Top effort, Goughy. I can't even imagine taking on an event like that. You're a bloody champion!

waffle_iron
4th October 2009, 11:36 PM
Is this a gay site ?

Yossarian
4th October 2009, 11:38 PM
Is this a gay site ?

Hey send me a pm with you email maybe we can hook up some time. ;)

Cause you look pretty cute in your avatar.

Toolish
5th October 2009, 08:28 AM
Well done Goughy....awesome effort.

What now?

AndyP
5th October 2009, 08:41 AM
Is this a gay site ?
Pardon?

goughy
5th October 2009, 09:00 AM
Pardon is kind of a gay word AP!!

A less gay response would be WTF!!!!

Dotty
5th October 2009, 09:15 AM
Waffle Iron, that's only Goughy's cap in his avatar, not his jacket.

Yossarian
5th October 2009, 10:02 AM
I'd not worry about it goughy, I went through some of his posts over on ISG, certain words spring to mind.

goughy
5th October 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm not worried about him in the slightest. I'm only worried about how I'm gonna bend over to pick up any tools I drop on the ground today at work!!

Ned
5th October 2009, 01:02 PM
I'm not worried about him in the slightest. I'm only worried about how I'm gonna bend over to pick up any tools I drop on the ground today at work!!

http://www.furnishoutlet.com/catalog/images/38458.jpg

haysey
5th October 2009, 01:15 PM
Way to go Goughy, I'd struggle to do all that if I had a week:smt038

I'm trying to wrap my head around Ned being anyones training partner for anything other than the Johnny Walker drinking championships:shock:

Ned
5th October 2009, 01:21 PM
Way to go Goughy, I'd struggle to do all that if I had a week:smt038

I'm trying to wrap my head around Ned being anyones training partner for anything other than the Johnny Walker drinking championships:shock:

Henno and I are ready to rock for the Champs, although in part it will be Chivas except when it comes to the single malt stuff!!!!!!!

Like most people, (even you haysey) we all had ability attributes .......... mine be them all a very long time ago in a number of sports.

But mere standard triathlons are in no way a comparison to what goughy did as a person who had to mix his training around being a dad, husband, worker and a non existent golfer!!!!!!:smt038

goughy
5th October 2009, 01:33 PM

I'll 'ave 'alf!!

BrisVegas
5th October 2009, 01:51 PM
awesome stuff Goughy. Respect.

Fishman Dan
6th October 2009, 09:18 AM
Well done, but I can't see why that post took you 6 hours.

goughy
6th October 2009, 09:38 AM
It only took 5 hours to make the first post, the second was 8 hours.

shavey
7th October 2009, 12:50 AM
Mate, that is just awesome!

Well done on a marvellous effort... and to AP for taking the weight loss initative to a whole new level!

AndyP
7th October 2009, 08:59 AM
Should I up the ante?

goughy
7th October 2009, 09:17 AM
Should I up the ante?

Please don't!! Rob will kill me if I try and do a full Ironman!! Though, I'm now qualified for next years IMOZ..........

Maybe the year after!

Toolish
7th October 2009, 10:55 AM
What do you have to do to qualify for the IM? Did you just have to finish, or do you have to beat a time?

goughy
7th October 2009, 01:38 PM
Just have to finish within the time of 7hr30min I believe. Some finished after this and got a time, but I believe they don't qualify. I think you just have to finish any of the HIM's before IMOZ to qualify, and that's probably also for IMWA too.

Maybe another year.

AndyP
7th October 2009, 01:40 PM
I didn't realise you had to qualify. A workmate did the Ironman earlier this year and I'm sure he had never completed a HIM before.

Nevermind. A google search shows that he has.

goughy
7th October 2009, 04:10 PM
What is with your avatar AP? It's freaking the shit out of me!!!!

Big plans for the coming 2 years now. A number of sprint tri's then Mooloolaba next year. Few more shorter ones then I wanna do the Tour De Tri 24hr relay triathlon solo in June. Then onto a 1hr pb at GCHIM next year with a view of preparing for IMOZ in april 2011. Add in a few running races (including my first mara on the goldie next year) and I'll have a full calendar.

Going to see about getting some advice from a local tri coach/guru regarding tweeking my current training. I like the sessions I do and the groups I do them with, but they could use a better focus maybe. I'll see what he says if he's willing to see me.

sms316
7th October 2009, 04:16 PM

It looks like a giant queer blowfly.

AndyP
7th October 2009, 04:19 PM
What is with your avatar AP? It's freaking the shit out of me!!!!I have that affect on people.

Big plans for the coming 2 years now.I've hardly planned my next month. Have you got any weekends pencilled in for golf? You know I'll be a regular visitor in Toowoomba soon.

TheNuclearOne
7th October 2009, 06:40 PM

Big plans for the coming 2 years now. A number of sprint tri's then Mooloolaba next year. Few more shorter ones then I wanna do the Tour De Tri 24hr relay triathlon solo in June. Then onto a 1hr pb at GCHIM next year with a view of preparing for IMOZ in april 2011. Add in a few running races (including my first mara on the goldie next year) and I'll have a full calendar.

Going to see about getting some advice from a local tri coach/guru regarding tweeking my current training. I like the sessions I do and the groups I do them with, but they could use a better focus maybe. I'll see what he says if he's willing to see me.

Goughy, first of all well done.

Secondly a mate from work is infatuated with this stuff and was wondering what your next event is. I think he's doing Noosa soon? Something in about 3 weeks anyways.

I showed him your times and he said they were excellent. He's around 46 and said if you're ever passing thru or competing around this area you'd be wecome to run with them, but i doubt you'd be up this way.

goughy
7th October 2009, 07:53 PM
I missed out on getting into Noosa. That's why I did the HIM, and I'm glad I missed Noosa now. I'll remember the offer.

Toolish
7th October 2009, 08:37 PM

Yuo have me inspired mate. Have never even done a tri but planning on doing a sprint in December and an Olly in Feb. Then if all goes well will look at Shep HIM next year and maybe roll that onto IMOZ 2011 as well. All a big if but that is the long term plan in my head. A couple of things could get in the way but we will see.

Either way what you have done/are doing is really great to see and between you and AndyP I find a lot of motivation on this site...only thing is it is destroying my golf game!

AndyP
7th October 2009, 09:40 PM
Either way what you have done/are doing is really great to see and between you and AndyP I find a lot of motivation on this site...That's good to hear.
That accounts for 100 or so of my posts maybe. Now I just need the other 20000 signed off as motivational.....

...only thing is it is destroying my golf game!Goughy doesn't even play, but at least I still get games even though I've gone out 2 to 3 shots, and could potentially creep out more over time. I'm telling myself I'll commit more time to golf over summer. We'll see. There'll always be another run to do..

goughy
7th October 2009, 10:08 PM
Great to hear Toolish! They are so much fun. What kind of demon creature did AP spawn when he told me about a little podcast called the couch 2 5k!!! Been 25 years since I first wanted to do one, and 17 years since I first started training to do one.

In the next year my schedule has at least 10 triathlons, ranging from super sprint up to HIM and then at least 4 runs that I can think of for now, from 10k up to marathon (sub 4 hours I'm telling you AP!!!!).

I wasn't playing much golf anyway, as family and work were dominating that. Most of the training for this I can do in the early early morning or the later afternoons/nights so it gets in the way less. I'm up at about 4am 3 to 4 days a week, and I don't think I train enough.

Oh and Andy, Clikchic doesn't totally blame you for what I do now. She gives half of it to one of her bosses who suggested I try the tri's.

TheNuclearOne
7th October 2009, 10:56 PM
I missed out on getting into Noosa. That's why I did the HIM, and I'm glad I missed Noosa now. I'll remember the offer.

Hey cheers. He said you may have, as apparently it was booked out in 4-5 days when it normally is open for a month or summin?

goughy
8th October 2009, 07:08 AM
Last year it took about 2 months to sell out, this year was 4 days. Caught me out.

markTHEblake
8th October 2009, 11:55 AM
I might have to put this thread on ignore, its starting to excite me, and I don't want go there again. There is something about beating personal bests that drives you insane and the pain doesnt seem to matter so much.

goughy
8th October 2009, 12:57 PM
You know I'll be a regular visitor in Toowoomba soon.

Not coming up for the TMBA marathon/half/10k next weekend are you by any chance??

AndyP
8th October 2009, 12:59 PM
Unlikely. I think I might chase the sub-40 minute 10k on the track at the Qld Masters Athletics meet on the Saturday morning.

goughy
8th October 2009, 01:19 PM
Would be a fast track!

AndyP
8th October 2009, 02:47 PM
It is at QEII Stadium.

goughy
10th December 2009, 08:05 PM
Have a go at Hell of the West Goughy! You only live once. Well done at achieving your goal and I sure know what it's like reaching a goal like that.

I am competing in the Walcha MTB Teams Challenge for the third year in a row and we hope to bring it home under 5 hours over 75kms up hill and down dale in sunny Walcha (Nthn Tablelands of NSW). I am going for my third real training ride tomorrow early with the event looming on the last w'end in October.

Funny, but HOTW should be my next big event. Planning on heading up there with a mate I train with. Training has been pretty bad since the champs and the last week and a half have had a nasty stomach bug so I'm a bit behind the 8 ball. Another mate up here upgraded some of his stuff so I now have one of those super fantastic aero lids to wear up top!

The rest of the years stuff is mostly planned. After HOTW I have Mooloolaba olympic distance, which is funny since I'll have done two events twice as long by the time I do it. Following that is the BRW on the gold coast and then the event I've been waiting for, the Tour de Tri on the sunny coast; a 24 hour tri relay I did last year as part of a team but plan on doing solo this year. It's a fundraiser for the Law Enforcement Torch Run and I'll start a thread to raise money/lap I get through.

Then back to the GCHIM again.

MG, how'd your MTB challenge go?

Toolish
11th December 2009, 11:13 AM
I entered my first tri last night. Just a sprint (750/20/5) on this Sunday, nervous as about it though.

Have done a couple of brick sessions to see if any issues pop up and had problems running off the bike feeling like I am about to cramp in the calves but think that was a hydration issue mainly.

Not sure really what time I am gunning for, have 1:30 in my head but not sure if that is realistic, too conservative, anything.

Depending how this goes will hunt an olympic to do, or may go for Murray Man but not sure on swimming for either of them!

goughy
11th December 2009, 01:20 PM
Good sized one to enter T. The two mates I teamed with at Mooloolaba last year are both doing that distance this Sunday too. The've entered Mool and want to test it out. There only probs will really be the swimming; one has been doing some practice but hasn't swum more than 200mtrs in a tri before (pool swim) and the other has done very little riding, no running and almost no swimming - and he's not a natural at any of it. So he'll be 50/50 for pulling out of Mool after this.

Dying to hear how you go and how much fun you have. It's long enough that you have to pace youself somewhat or you'll bonk. The shorter ones (400/13/5) are pretty much flat out the whole time and during the race they feel really hard. Harder than a much much longer race where you pace yourself moreso.

Have a great weekend. If it's an open water wave start expect to get smashed in the swim. I've been kicked, had then pull me back, swim over the top of me - you name it. Expect it and it won't be so bad.

Toolish
14th December 2009, 12:16 AM
well got through that ok. No official splits yet but overall time of 1:18:03.

Swim was fine, just hung at the back and got through it. Ride was tougher than I thought it would be, hilly (compared to most of my rides anyhow) and windy.

Run first lap hurt, second lap was ok.

Not 100% sure where to from here, need to check a few calendars and consult with the mrs. Either way I have a base line and the aim is already to break 1:10.00 for next year.

goughy
14th December 2009, 04:25 PM
Jeeze that's a rockin time T. I would've been thinking of 1:20 to 1:25 for myself over that distance. You rock!

Toolish
14th December 2009, 09:11 PM
The swim was helped a fair bit by the current, did a 750m trial in the pool a couple of weeks ago and took 15:45. Looked at the watch as I was exiting the river and was 13:30ish. Reckon 1 minute for current and 1 for race adrenaline etc.

Not sure on my pacing on the bike. Averaged about 30kmh, so took about 40 minutes. Sort of stayed where I was in the field. Had one bloke I passed about 5 times and he kept passing me back. He just beat me into transition but I had put socks on after swim adn he was putting them on between ride and run so I beat him out. Ended up beating him by 4-5min on the run to not come last in my age group so that was nice!

Started the run with 53:30ish on the clock from memory. Like I say first run lap felt crap and I am pretty sure I would have had a significant negative split because after about 3-3.5km I really started to free up.

It is funny I am just looking back at my training log from the start of the year and I was doing 5km runs at 5.5-6 min/km. Pretty sure I have done 5min/km on the run after swimming and riding now so happy with that.

Toolish
23rd December 2009, 11:30 AM
Now that Murray Man has been confirmed as on March 7 I am thinking that might be the goal, it is a 2km swim a 60km bike and a 15 km run. Will try to do some time trials over next week at the individual legs to see where I stand. A 2km swim will be the most worrying part.

At this stage thinking 4 hours should be the goal.