PDA

View Full Version : carrying clubs or spare the thought using a cart / buggy - yuk ......

SV8
2nd October 2009, 01:01 PM
Friends - I am the new boy here but am alarmed how many golfers are using the cart or buggy (trundler for you kiwi's)

I watched the pro am pros here at Port Macquarie and really thought these blokes would have the stand bag or at least the 9 inch staffer across the shoulders, one bloke did and looked the part, ie dripping sweat, easy reach of the winfields, gave the iron a quick scrub while walking, grabs the next club on the move - brisk paced, in other words a real pro golfer.

I have only used the cart when living on the Gold Coast and they refused to let me walk Sanctuary Cove or The Pines - it was a nightmare, clubs bashed up and felt car sick.

Am I alone here ? - I carry my Titleist stand bag or staff bag every time bar none - thats the way we were taught.

Some of the chicks I know carry their clubs - are we getting too soft ?

AndyP
2nd October 2009, 01:13 PM
Don't forget that these softies also need trundlers with fancy suspension and the like now too, so it's sooooo much easier to pull/push.

just
2nd October 2009, 01:18 PM
Apart from making a complete wanker out of yourself, what is it you carrying on about? One minute it's about buggies/trundlers, and the next your whining about car sickness when you riding in a cart.

If you are as tough as you think you are, you wouldn't get car sick, nor care if your clubs are bashed about, and finally you would actually be able to keep on message and deliver a coherent argument.

Zeusgolf
2nd October 2009, 01:23 PM
WA Crew representing......

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/zeusgolf/CarryBags.jpg
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/zeusgolf/CarryBag1.jpg

kpac
2nd October 2009, 01:23 PM
buggy pusher ;)

SV8
2nd October 2009, 01:24 PM
a little controversy is a good thing once in a while don't you think ?

kpac
2nd October 2009, 01:25 PM
Golf cart (motorised) have gone a long way to ruining the game on the Gold Coast and other areas IMO.

Zeusgolf
2nd October 2009, 01:28 PM
Signature hole at The Cut

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/zeusgolf/CarryBag2.jpg

razaar
2nd October 2009, 01:40 PM
Apart from making a complete wanker out of yourself, what is it you carrying on about? One minute it's about buggies/trundlers, and the next your whining about car sickness when you riding in a cart.

If you are as tough as you think you are, you wouldn't get car sick, nor care if your clubs are bashed about, and finally you would actually be able to keep on message and deliver a coherent argument.
:smt038:lol:

razaar
2nd October 2009, 01:45 PM
Signature hole at The Cut

Where are your sand buckets?

zacdullard
2nd October 2009, 01:50 PM
Where are your sand buckets?
Sand based course, when you make a divot it automatically fills with sand :-k

Johnny Canuck
2nd October 2009, 01:54 PM
WA Crew representing......

Nice of you to let the Pygmy/Sherpa cross that carried everyone's bag have a hit.

adlo
2nd October 2009, 02:08 PM
:lol:

PeteyD
2nd October 2009, 02:18 PM
Haha. The uni studies in the states show the difference in energy spent between carrying and using a buggy is minimal. (Cart is different). Think it was about 710 to 705 or something like that.

Johnny Canuck
2nd October 2009, 02:23 PM
i saw a similar study and it was about 10 calories difference over 18 holes.

Bruce
2nd October 2009, 02:32 PM
With much less back issues.

LarryLong
2nd October 2009, 02:38 PM
Hard to roll a stand bag though.

Where's the fun in that?

shazza_rs
2nd October 2009, 03:19 PM
I actually find carrying my bag helps with my posture as it makes me put my shoulders back. I get a sorer back from pushing/pulling a buggy.

Johnny Canuck
2nd October 2009, 03:22 PM
I actually find carrying my bag helps with my posture as it makes me put my shoulders back. I get a sorer back from pushing/pulling a buggy.

agree with Shaz. 100%.

PeteyD
2nd October 2009, 03:28 PM
I had problems with the 2 wheel crappy carts. The newer ones don't put the stress on the arms/back/shoulders though. I'll see how the healing goes, but doubt if I will carry for anything more than 9 holes anymore.

henno
2nd October 2009, 03:33 PM
I agree with both shazz and abootman.

razaar
2nd October 2009, 03:33 PM
agree with Shaz. 100%.
Carrying that heavy sand bucket can't be good for one's posture. Problem solved if there's one in each hand.:mrgreen:

adlo
2nd October 2009, 03:46 PM
As long as I am not carrying a Steve Elkington style 60 pound bag, carrying feels better.

I want to like a buggy, but as a few have said, hurts the back more.

kev
2nd October 2009, 03:47 PM
Golf carts wouldn't have been invented if we weren't to use them. It's progress, get with the times.

shazza_rs
2nd October 2009, 03:50 PM
Carrying that heavy sand bucket can't be good for one's posture. Problem solved if there's one in each hand.:mrgreen:

Its all about rotation from left to right..... geez....:lol:

just
2nd October 2009, 03:54 PM
As long as I am not carrying a Steve Elkington style 60 pound bag, carrying feels better.

I want to like a buggy, but as a few have said, hurts the back more.
Then you have used rubbish buggies, get one with an adjustable height handle and there are no problems.

I find carrying a stand bag improves my posture, so I carry one all day every day even when I am not playing golf. My knees and feet have paid the price though, from the extra weight, so now I'm using knee braces and orthotic inserts to correct those faults.

razaar
2nd October 2009, 04:05 PM
Then you have used rubbish buggies, get one with an adjustable height handle and there are no problems.

I find carrying a stand bag improves my posture, so I carry one all day every day even when I am not playing golf. My knees and feet have paid the price though, from the extra weight, so now I'm using knee braces and orthotic inserts to correct those faults.
...the additional compression of 15 to 20 kgs on the spine and joints in performing 5,000 jaring steps during 18 holes adds up over the years and there is a price to be paid by most.

Chris32
2nd October 2009, 04:21 PM
I've found a empty Gatorade bottle is great as a sand bucket when you carry, no mess

I got pulled up at my club once playing a practice round by a board member for not carrying a sand bucket. Its a 3 month suspension at my club....

He had a good laugh when I pulled out my sandy bottle :)

Edit: I only carry during practice, I find the push buggy allot more suited to long comp rounds. I can hang my little esky off it too!

idgolfguy
2nd October 2009, 04:25 PM
Chop it in - better for the grass!

idgolfguy
2nd October 2009, 04:34 PM
Haha. The uni studies in the states show the difference in energy spent between carrying and using a buggy is minimal. (Cart is different). Think it was about 710 to 705 or something like that.
http://www.golfmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4888

zacdullard
2nd October 2009, 04:41 PM
http://www.golfmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4888
That is one big adevertisment for PowaKaddy.

My local track is very hilly and I find I have much more energy after the round if I carry instead of pushing a Smoothy around for the round.

kpac
2nd October 2009, 04:46 PM
Golf carts wouldn't have been invented if we weren't to use them. It's progress, get with the times.

Carts were invented for the fat and lazy - get with the times.....

(not meant as and insult in any way Kev, referring more to the "active/healthy australia" push these days.

Jarro
2nd October 2009, 04:48 PM
carrying bites :roll:

get a smoothy buggy ...... pure sex on wheels :)

kpac
2nd October 2009, 04:52 PM

Adjustable handle is alright, but the ones with clips buckles, springs, slots, harness' and more :smt078 Once you have to start explaining what all these things on your buggy are for it get's embarrassing.
A decent solid buggy is ok imo. - seat a the front handle at the back, wheels below, thats enough...

markTHEblake
2nd October 2009, 05:17 PM
Friends - I am the new boy here but am alarmed how many golfers are using the cart or buggy (trundler for you kiwi's)

Nobody using carts around here. except the Cat lover but he is on sebaticle anyhow.

and a huge majority of the Ozgolfers are carrying as well.

but good on em - one day they might end up like a cripple like me and Just, or if they never carry, be a fine fit specimen of a man that Razaar is in the twilight of his life.

SV8
2nd October 2009, 05:44 PM
....... opened up a whole can of worms here, for a minute there I thought I was on the Street Commodores forum, there is some passion and abuse all in one - I love it especially your thread "Just"!

TheTrueReview
2nd October 2009, 06:11 PM
Motocaddy S1 http://motocaddy.com.au/s1digital.htm Never had so much fun walking the course.

mike
2nd October 2009, 06:42 PM
I'm a carrier. Motorized carts are a scar on the face of this game.

Wow. What a great looking track that is.

zigwah
2nd October 2009, 06:47 PM
pussies, i dont even have a bag! Just carry em all around in one hand, and swap hands every few hundred metres.

Dotty
2nd October 2009, 07:40 PM
1. Smoothy
2. Carry (dual or single strap), but does tire the feet though
3. Daylight
4. Pull-buggy
5. Cart

Just wish that the Smoothy Classic wasn't so bulky in the car boot.

adlo
2nd October 2009, 09:24 PM
Wow. What a great looking track that is.

Pretty rubbish condition for one of Australias top ten tracks though!

Johnny Canuck
2nd October 2009, 09:37 PM
Pretty rubbish condition for one of Australias top ten tracks though!

Seriously? Not even top 10 within 100km of Perth!

Although the 12th is the best hole, possibly in all of WA.

adlo
2nd October 2009, 09:40 PM
2 of those photos are 12 aren't they? Great hole!

Yeah, The Cut is right up there in the "rankings".

Johnny Canuck
2nd October 2009, 09:44 PM
I've got a new slogan for them:

The Cut, putting the "Rank" in rankings.

kev
2nd October 2009, 10:03 PM
Carts were invented for the fat and lazy - get with the times.....

(not meant as and insult in any way Kev, referring more to the "active/healthy australia" push these days.

Hey, I resemble that remark ! :) Have we met? :lol:

Rusty
2nd October 2009, 10:58 PM
i prefer my buggy to have a battery.

mike
2nd October 2009, 11:41 PM
Just wish that the Smoothy Classic wasn't so bulky in the car boot.
Yep. I've got a Smoothy and the reason I started carrying (around this time last year) was that the smoothy is so damn cumbersome to get in and out of the car and to assemble.

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2009, 12:25 AM
hey threadstarter (SV8? is that correct?)

i prefer to carry. hands down.

however, i have my club's no handicap match play tomorrow. 36 holes if i win my first match.

others will be taking carts. am i allowed to use a buggy, or god forbid, a cart to keep the odds even?

i also tee off in 9 hours and am still having a few coldies....

adlo
3rd October 2009, 01:30 AM
Yep. I've got a Smoothy and the reason I started carrying (around this time last year) was that the smoothy is so damn cumbersome to get in and out of the car and to assemble.

They do seem to have been designed to fold down into a shape that is larger than it was erected. Stupid.

The clicgear seem to be a much better option in that regard.

idgolfguy
3rd October 2009, 01:39 AM
I think it depends on the model. Mine folds down flatter and more compact than a clicgear. I'd have to spend the next 6 months teaching the wife and daughter how to pack and unpack the clicgear. The smoothy is much quicker to set up and pack .

I just did a mental count of my buggies - three push (use to be four) but gave one away) and two electrics. Almost bought a cart in April as the Vines put a cap on the number of members who can own a cart.

Is there such athing as a buggy ho?

I still prefer to carry.

Zeusgolf
3rd October 2009, 02:07 AM
Nice of you to let the Pygmy/Sherpa cross that carried everyone's bag have a hit.

:smt038

Zeusgolf
3rd October 2009, 02:10 AM

Fits in my drink pouch

http://www.discountgolfworld.com/content/bagboy/sand-seed-bottle.jpg

idgolfguy
3rd October 2009, 02:26 AM
What happens if you're thirsty.

adlo
3rd October 2009, 02:26 AM
I think it depends on the model. Mine folds down flatter and more compact than a clicgear. I'd have to spend the next 6 months teaching the wife and daughter how to pack and unpack the clicgear. The smoothy is much quicker to set up and pack .

I just did a mental count of my buggies - three push (use to be four) but gave one away) and two electrics. Almost bought a cart in April as the Vines put a cap on the number of members who can own a cart.

I still prefer to carry.
Club ho, bag ho, buggy ho, you are all of these.

Scottt
3rd October 2009, 04:37 AM
Hard to roll a stand bag though.

Where's the fun in that?

:lol:

:smt038

Mine has blown over in the wind a few times. Not very hardcore though...

Grunt
3rd October 2009, 05:56 AM
I carried up till I got the Smoothy. Carrying is fine but it is just easier to push the Smoothy.

I remember reading somewhere ages ago that the old method of pulling the buggy was damaging to the shoulders. Pushing the smoothy is way easier.

Have to agree with Dotty just wish it would collapse to a smaller footprint.

PeteyD
3rd October 2009, 07:24 AM

I still prefer to carry.

You are on drugs. Clic gear is really easy to use and transport.

Dotty
3rd October 2009, 08:06 AM
I've noticed that Smoothy also have pull-out style (as opposed to fold-up) buggies with 3 wheel suspension. The Speed looks like an exercise in origami, but the Lightning may push the right buttons.

Anyone got experience with these ?

And does anyone ever sit on the wobbly little seat on the Classic/Storm ?

henno
3rd October 2009, 08:10 AM
I carry, so I'm not really up on buggy bling, but my mate has a bag boy or something, and it folds up pretty good, and unfolds in one movement. (Basically you "break it's back" and as you fold it in half the wheels come inwards. Much like a baby's pram.)

Ned
3rd October 2009, 08:13 AM
I carry, so I'm not really up on buggy bling, but my mate has a bag boy or something, and it folds up pretty good, and unfolds in one movement. (Basically you "break it's back" and as you fold it in half the wheels come inwards. Much like a baby's pram.)

You may carry, but you still hire a cart to tow your esky around!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

idgolfguy
3rd October 2009, 09:52 AM
You are on drugs. Clic gear is really easy to use and transport.
Yes sure.
As easy as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 done.
And then count backwards when I'm finished.

Just know that I could fit 2 bags and the smoothy better than 2 bags and a clicgear in my boot. The clicgear had a larger volume.

The clicgear has less resistance than my smoothy though.

Hux
3rd October 2009, 10:09 AM
I've noticed that Smoothy also have pull-out style (as opposed to fold-up) buggies with 3 wheel suspension. The Speed looks like an exercise in origami, but the Lightning may push the right buttons.

Anyone got experience with these ?

And does anyone ever sit on the wobbly little seat on the Classic/Storm ?

Yes I have the Smoothy that is closes up pretty much like the old pull carts. Works like a buggy - easy enough to push although the handle keeps sliding back in on itself from where you set it when going up slopes.
Bought the seat but it is useless, wobbly and too close to the bag for my fat ass...what I need is the drink holder -much more practical and likely to be used.

Courty
3rd October 2009, 10:14 AM

Hang on a minute... you have a ute! :-s

razaar
3rd October 2009, 10:29 AM
Hang on a minute... you have a ute! :-s
Might have to lower the tailgate and climb up on to the tray.:lol:

PeteyD
3rd October 2009, 12:12 PM
Yes sure.
As easy as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 done.
And then count backwards when I'm finished.

Just know that I could fit 2 bags and the smoothy better than 2 bags and a clicgear in my boot. The clicgear had a larger volume.

The clicgear has less resistance than my smoothy though.

Must be different to my clicgear. Mine is 123 :D

sms316
3rd October 2009, 12:23 PM
Since moving to Qld I reckon I have walked in 1 round out of about 10. Apart from the fact that I am getting fatter by the minute, I find that it doesn't do much for my enjoyment of golf. So much more time waiting and getting agitated by slower golfers.

Come hell or high water, I'm making a concerted effort to walk/carry. I might even play golf sober.

Golfnut
3rd October 2009, 01:05 PM
When I first started playing I thought people were mad to walk 18 holes....even worse, carrying for 18. I'm happy to walk 18 now and prefer it pushing my buggy but I still think carrying is senseless.

Love the Smoothy's but like others, found it too bulky folded down....happy with my Brosnan Wallabuggy Yellow.