PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get sick of golf?

sms316
1st October 2009, 04:51 PM
Now that I work in the industry again, I have to manage myself or I will grow to hate the game.

For example, now that the greens have been cored, I'm not picking up a club for 2 or 3 weeks.

Even whilst I had a Mon-Fri job, I used to get a bit stale from time to time.

Is anyone else like this?

zacdullard
1st October 2009, 04:54 PM
I get sick of golf after playing bad for a while but the thought of a good round keeps bringing me back.

AndyP
1st October 2009, 04:58 PM
I used to when I was playing 6 times a month with a lot of consecutive weekends. Now I have trouble fitting in both golf and running across my weekends. I am hoping to spend a bit more time golfing this summer.

Courty
1st October 2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, after chopping it up really badly 2 days in a row a few weeks ago, I needed to take a break for a few weeks. Luckily it coincided with a trip to NZ. I came back feeling the hunger again and shot a 74 in my first round back. :mrgreen:

sms316
1st October 2009, 05:01 PM
I know what you mean AP. When I'm forced to practice and play a lot (pennant season), I end up just looking for the finish line, but then there are usually tournaments straight after.

Jarro
1st October 2009, 05:06 PM
I get really sick of it at least two times a year.

I'm enduring a hate relationship with the game at the moment, no interest whatsoever .... i haven't even touched a club in two weeks.

Hopefully i'll encounter the upswing soon and get back to hitting tons at most courses around SE QLD ;)

just
1st October 2009, 05:08 PM
I get sick of "I'm sick of golf threads". Sorry that doesn't help your problem though, Shaun.

Yossarian
1st October 2009, 05:36 PM
Haven't yet but I've only been playing a couple of years so every time I go out I seem to learn something new.

Webster
1st October 2009, 05:41 PM
Never.

Chris32
1st October 2009, 05:41 PM
I haven't played for 5 months since the birth of our son. I'm hanging out for a game!

Been getting at least 1 practice in at lunchtime during the week, which makes me want to play even more.

Long weekend coming up so might get a round in

Bruce
1st October 2009, 05:42 PM
Maybe if I played as often as I wanted to instead of as often as I can, I would be a chance. Until then I am grateful of every opportunity to have a hit.

Collis
1st October 2009, 05:49 PM
I get sick of it when i keep playing bad, duffing shots, wayward drives...
But then i have to remember that i play it for fun..
Why i love stableford so much can blow out a few holes and still have a nice day.

Yossarian
1st October 2009, 05:52 PM
I get sick of it when i keep playing bad, duffing shits, wayward drives...
But then i have to remember that i play it for fun..
Why i love stableford so much can blow out a few holes and still have a nice day.

Sounds painful.

Collis
1st October 2009, 05:55 PM
i and o are way to close on the keyboard lol...

adlo
1st October 2009, 05:58 PM
Sounds painful.

:smt038

To answer the question though I would say about once a year. Nothing that a few weeks off doesn't fix.

TourFit
1st October 2009, 06:13 PM
Last Friday at The Cut....:mrgreen:

For me, I get quizzed on the course by members often when they find out what I do. I give them a card and say (politely usually) "...today is my relax day...and that I'm here to enjoy my ONE day of golf I get. I'm not working today" It gets frustrating sometimes. I find that these days I'll also take a few weeks off and it won't bother me. That has happened since I've had my first kid, and also working in the industry.

The same thing happened to me when I used to go out for dinner when I was working as a chef...it became a critique almost.

Grunt
1st October 2009, 06:27 PM
Sick of golf does not happen to me that often if at all. When I get in a slump I play more to climb out of it.

Have to admit recent times with the training for the Kayak Paddle I am missing it a bit too. This might be a good thing as the recent games I have played have been both enjoyable and pretty good with little or no expectations.

Facing the real posibility that my next game will be the Thursday before the Champs.

Pieface
1st October 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm still on a "Just into Golf" buzz but I'm guessing I'll go off the boil a couple of times a year. That seems pretty standard history with my other hobbies.

Ferrins
1st October 2009, 07:12 PM
I get sick of golf when my handicap isn't a primary number... it just really irritates me

razaar
1st October 2009, 07:14 PM
Now that I work in the industry again, I have to manage myself or I will grow to hate the game.

For example, now that the greens have been cored, I'm not picking up a club for 2 or 3 weeks.

Even whilst I had a Mon-Fri job, I used to get a bit stale from time to time.

Is anyone else like this?
I was getting very sick of the game at your place of work.

Lucasto23
1st October 2009, 07:17 PM
Never, frustrated yes, annoyed yes and then i buy something new ;)
Thats the real secret, buy new stuff and blame the old clubs

markTHEblake
1st October 2009, 08:28 PM
dont get sick of it but i seem to get into the habit of not playing from Nov to Jan. dont know why, just seem to take 1 week off and before you know it 3 months pass by.

Reckon i have done this 10 years in a row, probably because there is nothing left to play in.

Oldplayer
1st October 2009, 08:46 PM
I play a minimum of 100 competition rounds a year and never get sick of it. Not into social golf though, only enjoy it if i can compete and work on my handicap. The form does come and go as with everyone and i do get crapped off when i play badly for an extended period.

AndyP
1st October 2009, 08:59 PM
I play a minimum of 100 competition rounds a year .........
Holy ****! Golflink link please... ;)

mike
1st October 2009, 09:01 PM
Sounds like Ned

Golfnut
2nd October 2009, 12:46 AM
I'm still on a "Just into Golf" buzz but I'm guessing I'll go off the boil a couple of times a year. That seems pretty standard history with my other hobbies.

Same same here too PF although at the moment I'm very addicted, played 45 holes of golf this week 8-)

senecio
2nd October 2009, 06:49 AM
I probably go through 2 bouts of it a year. Always coincides with a form slump.

I take a break for a couple of weeks, like I intend to do this week. It generally gets me back into it

LarryLong
2nd October 2009, 07:16 AM
I haven't played for 5 months since the birth of our son. I'm hanging out for a game!

What he said, although I have a daughter.

I've never really been able to get on the course enough to get bored with golf.

razaar
2nd October 2009, 07:31 AM
Silly as it sounds, when I'm playing well I tend to play less. Its during periods of bad golf that I play more often and spend time practicing. I have definitely played more golf since joining Ozgolf. Ozgolf days are never boring.

Hux
2nd October 2009, 08:09 AM
I was getting very sick of the game at your place of work.

Yes I can well understand that - I was sick of it there last week after about 6 holes as well.

BrisVegas
2nd October 2009, 08:45 AM
Never.

razaar
2nd October 2009, 08:49 AM
Never.
Can understand that.:)

kpac
2nd October 2009, 09:31 AM
The less i play the less i miss it actually.
When i was incorporating it with work and playing weekends and at every chance - i'd miss the game after 2 days.... These days i'm playing once a month and i'm really not excited by it :( In honesty i spend far more time buying/trading clubs through this pro shop than actually playing. As it stands i've got Driver 5w Irons and a wedge in the bag that i havent hit.... it's killing me.

gazgolf1
2nd October 2009, 09:51 AM
Summer golf shits me, nuthin worse than your wet shirt sloppin against ya, sun smashing downs its deadly UV rays on my exposed bits.
jeez I think I need some cheese with that whine.

goughy
2nd October 2009, 11:44 AM
The less i play the less i miss it actually.

I'm with K on this one. I've never actually gotten 'sick' of it and felt like I needed a break. But having not held a club in my hands since March I haven't really missed it as such, haven't had time to miss it.

SamMillington
2nd October 2009, 01:52 PM
After 3 days in a row I'm ready to take a break. Usually one day is enough. Just get married Depe, then you'll cherish the occasions you get to play.

Jarro
2nd October 2009, 04:23 PM
Summer golf shits me, nuthin worse than your wet shirt sloppin against ya, sun smashing downs its deadly UV rays on my exposed bits.
jeez I think I need some cheese with that whine.

Get an umbrella holder for your smoothy buggy mate.

It's the manly thing to do :mrgreen:

sms316
2nd October 2009, 04:54 PM
Nine holes right-handed this arvo. Shot 43. I think I have found my new pursuit!

Bruce
2nd October 2009, 04:58 PM
Nine holes right-handed this arvo. Shot 43. I think I have found my new pursuit!

Nice one Lg;rv. Did you play every shot right handed?

sms316
2nd October 2009, 07:46 PM
Yep.

Shame it wasn't in a comp.

Grunt
2nd October 2009, 08:15 PM
Shit probably would have beat me too. I maybe should try left handed.

zigwah
2nd October 2009, 08:27 PM

you could make some nice dollars out of that!!

Tongueboy
2nd October 2009, 08:29 PM
i get sick of it when you constantly get ****ed about by social players especially hoons and woman who take all effing day to play a shot and just getting a game when it suits without doing the ring around to see whats available. Newcastle and the Central Coast make you sick of the game..... geez I miss the bush

DavidWhite
2nd October 2009, 09:16 PM
How can one be when we don't get to play throughout the year? Fortunately, I have this forum for my winter and golf blues.

Hux
3rd October 2009, 07:56 AM
I am never sick of golf. Frustrated - at times. Work sucks and I lose one weekend a month to work and have basically zero time to practice. When I can practice and play I never get frustrated as its all coming together, the short game works cause I have some feel instead of taking 10 or 12 holes to get things working and the iron striking is crisp.
Right now my swing feel fragile...

Ned
3rd October 2009, 08:04 AM
I am never sick of golf. Frustrated - at times. Work sucks and I lose one weekend a month to work and have basically zero time to practice. When I can practice and play I never get frustrated as its all coming together, the short game works cause I have some feel instead of taking 10 or 12 holes to get things working and the iron striking is crisp.
Right now my swing feel fragile...

:-"

ParMaster
3rd October 2009, 10:28 AM

Thats awesome stuff shaun. :smt023

And I myself never get bored of golf. There are just so many variables to the game that it's never the same twice.