PDA

View Full Version : Holes that do your head in.

ParMaster
30th September 2009, 09:14 PM
Please tell me this is in the right forum..:oops:

What are some holes that you fellas play that for whatever reason you just **** up? There are 3 holes at NSW that I just plain ruin every single round I play.

4th NSW
14th NSW
17th NSW

I just don't "get" these holes. :oops:

There are a couple of other ones that I just suck at which are:

12th Oatlands
10th Campbelltown
9th The Coast

How about you guys? :twisted:

Ferrins
30th September 2009, 09:16 PM
The first 18 holes at Gailes off the back tee's.

Bruce
30th September 2009, 09:18 PM
Of the courses I play regularly:
4th at Neanger Park
3rd at Mildura
10th at Mirboo Nth.

mike
30th September 2009, 09:21 PM
15th @ Mossman. The hole from hell.

MegaWatty
30th September 2009, 09:21 PM
18 @ Araluen!

Yossarian
30th September 2009, 09:26 PM
The fourth at glen iris. always take it on. Stupid.

Take the drop and then pitch onto the bit of the green that rolls straight back down to the water....

Then skull a wedge.

Then pick up my ball and throw it in the lake.

markTHEblake
30th September 2009, 09:29 PM
Helensvale 5th. Nastiest 140m par 3 ever (index 17)

Courty
30th September 2009, 09:29 PM
15th @ Mossman. The hole from hell.

Which one is the 15th? Is that the OOB right, or the one after that?

Courty
30th September 2009, 09:30 PM
For the record, I often struggle with the 14th at Cairns GC (amongst others :roll:).

mike
30th September 2009, 09:32 PM
Which one is the 15th? Is that the OOB right, or the one after that?
The one after.

holmesy-XLS
30th September 2009, 09:38 PM
2nd and 4th at mildura, both quite long par 4's. one bad shot your gone.

zigwah
30th September 2009, 09:59 PM
Mooroopna golf club 14th haven't played it for about 14 years!!! Par 4 dog leg left 220 to reach the corner 230 to run out of fairway and OOB that runs the rest of the way along the right fairway, High gum trees all the way down the left hand side of the fair way, so has to be an absolute cracker to cut the corner or a beautiful draw with driver to get around it, I've hit everthing from 8 iron to 3 iron into the green which is guarded by tea trees and shit to the left, shit long and a bunker trees and OOB right to a long kidney shaped green.

394 from the back tees and number 2 on the card.
http://www.mooroopnagolfclub.com/course/14th-hole

ParMaster
30th September 2009, 10:16 PM
So there is a tougher hole on the course than that??

zigwah
30th September 2009, 10:20 PM
9 is number 1 on the card but i think 14 is the hardest!!

terrys
30th September 2009, 10:45 PM
7th at Mt Broughton. Stuffs my good start every time!

Scottt
30th September 2009, 10:54 PM
Pup,

what do you hit off the tee on 14 at La Perouse?

ParMaster
30th September 2009, 10:58 PM
It varies.

Normally 3wd. But on Sunday I couldn't even get over with a driver.

ParMaster
30th September 2009, 11:01 PM
Any holes at RCP you hate Scott?

Also have you played Queenwood, The Berkshire or Westhill?

Scottt
30th September 2009, 11:09 PM
The bunkering on 9 at RCP is a bit confounding, but I am told it dates to an old routing of the hole to the current green, which makes sense, but basically, carrying a giant fairway trap 6ft deep earns you an approach over two deep greenside traps, while a safe drive to the outide of the dogleg gives you the A1 approach.

haven't played the three you mentioned.

ParMaster
30th September 2009, 11:18 PM
Thats weird. The complete opposite of risk-reward. lol

I assume it's a longer approach from the safer drive, yes?

Scottt
30th September 2009, 11:28 PM
Marginally, definitely not enough longer that it's a deterrent. There is a plan to move the bunkers once they finish building a few new tees.

adlo
1st October 2009, 02:27 AM
Kennedy Bay #5 & #9, Both play long and tough
Binningup #7, Plays long and the green is very tough
Bunbury #14, A long par 4 with an elevated tee and a big wide bunkerless fairway that I can never bloody find.

PeteyD
1st October 2009, 06:29 AM
The first 18 holes at Gailes off the back tee's.

:D

Last time it was 10 for me. Lost ball (that we found coming up 19 ...) and a pin on the top of that stupid ridge.

Minor_Threat
1st October 2009, 07:03 AM
Probably just No.7 at Newcastle.

148m Par 3, if you miss the green your ****ed.

I parred it for the first time in a comp since being a member at Newcastle last Saturday. 5 months! FFS

henno
1st October 2009, 07:44 AM
The 11th at Pacific: It should be an easy hole, but I have never birdied it, only got par twice and regularly take double. Dogleg left, OOB left all the way and water right on the second and/or third shots. I never feel good standing at the tee on this hole.

The "new" par 5 1st at Indro (red 9): Another risk/reward hole. I should really not bother taking the risk, but get sucked in each time. I don't know how many times I've found the piss off the tee, taken a drop and still got in for par.

Jarro
1st October 2009, 07:55 AM
17 at Caboolture.

I can never manage a decent tee-shot on that hole :roll:

bag_of_ants
1st October 2009, 09:16 AM
The 11th at Pacific: It should be an easy hole, but I have never birdied it, only got par twice and regularly take double. Dogleg left, OOB left all the way and water right on the second and/or third shots. I never feel good standing at the tee on this hole.

The OOB left actually turns into a lateral hazard once you go around the first corner.

WBennett
1st October 2009, 09:17 AM
11 at Mollymook Hilltop (formerly 2) - drive through a chute, then mid iron approach intp the wind to a green that is about 2 metres wide (or so it seems)

11, 12 and 17 at the Cut. All dumb holes.

Aldo - I like the holes at KB and Biningup you mentioned. The 3rd killed me.

SeldomEagles
1st October 2009, 09:25 AM
All the odd numbered holes at Hartfield very closely followed by all the even numbered holes. In summary all the holes that finish with a green, a flag and a hole.

BrisVegas
1st October 2009, 09:39 AM
#15 at Gailes. There's just something magnetic about those trees up the left....

#4 at Wynnum. Can never seem to finish in the right spot to have a go at the green.

#10 at Nudgee. Can't recall parring it in 10 years.
#14 at Nudgee. Just completely humiliates me this hole. Shows how poor I am at hitting a wedge/9iron ffs.

#2 at Brookwater. I've started playing the back nine first, just to avoid facing the second shot on this hole early in the round....

markTHEblake
1st October 2009, 10:59 AM
#2 at Brookwater. I've started playing the back nine first, just to avoid facing the second shot on this hole early in the round....

You told me that was an easy shot when i said i had trouble with it(or words to that effect)

bastard!

symowallo
1st October 2009, 11:03 AM
Every hole at every golf course.

BrisVegas
1st October 2009, 11:25 AM
You told me that was an easy shot when i said i had trouble with it(or words to that effect)

bastard!

yeah, it's "easy" if you play it as a par 5.... ;)

Toolish
1st October 2009, 11:41 AM
2nd and 4th at mildura, both quite long par 4's. one bad shot your gone.

Of the courses I play regularly:
4th at Neanger Park
3rd at Mildura
10th at Mirboo Nth.

2 and 4 are tough for sure, but to me are pretty basic holes with not much thought. If you stuff up it is failure to execute that has let you down, not a thought process issue generally.

I don't like 3 as a design. There is no real bail out option or risk reward as I see it.

6 at Coomealla is a better short par 4 and it messes with me a lot. Everytime I step on the tee I never know if I should hit driver, or go safety with a 3 iron or something.

Also 13 at Coomy gets me because with a draw there is a tree on the right that is in exactly the wrong spot...can't remember the last time I hit the fairway there!

ParMaster
1st October 2009, 11:47 AM
Probably just No.7 at Newcastle.

148m Par 3, if you miss the green your ****ed.

I parred it for the first time in a comp since being a member at Newcastle last Saturday. 5 months! FFS

Yeah thats a bugger of a hole. Our group played it well when I played with you there. Something like +13 for the group. :oops:

adlo
1st October 2009, 12:04 PM
I love them, just find they get the better of me.

Bruce Dickinson
1st October 2009, 12:25 PM
7th hole on the Dunes at Joondalup, its no more than 125 from the back but I think I've made 3 their once in the last 10 rounds

zacdullard
1st October 2009, 04:03 PM
This is the hole that I remember most. I hit it in the water left off the tee, drop 3, hit 4th into the water on the right, drop 6, hit 7th to the back of the green when the pin is at the front then 3 putted for a crowd pleasing

The 17th at Gympie. 135m par 3.

Hit over a sort of gully. Anything short runs into a bunker which has no sand as it gets washed out when it rains. The green in about 3 metres deep and about 12 metres wide, it slopes severely from back to front whick makes putting impossible. Immeaditely after the green there is a massive hill which is long grass, more often that not the ball gets stuck in here when it goes long and from here it is next to impossible to hold the green with a chip.

Grunt
1st October 2009, 06:39 PM
I must not let the game get to me any more or it may be the fact that with out a regular home club. I just don't have a hole that does my head in.

All that said there will definitely be a hole that brings on the demons at the Champs due to the 2 rounds in a row over at the same course over the weekend.

razaar
1st October 2009, 07:18 PM
The 12th at Keperra is IMO the most difficult par 3 of the older courses in Brisbane for the older golfer who can't hit a five iron 190 metres.

Jarro
1st October 2009, 07:21 PM
The 12th at Keperra is IMO the most difficult par 3 of the older courses in Brisbane for the older golfer who can't hit a five iron 190 metres.

That is one hard mutha of a hole :shock:

razaar
1st October 2009, 07:30 PM
That is one hard mutha of a hole :shock:
Must be hard for a lefty with the overhanging branches from the gum trees. Love to hear what SMS has to say about it.

Jarro
1st October 2009, 07:32 PM
He'd really hate it.

He'd still have gravy on his hands from the halfway house for that tee-shot.

razaar
1st October 2009, 07:36 PM
But he does enjoy a sit down meal. Runny pies are a specialty.

ParMaster
1st October 2009, 10:35 PM
You don't think 3 metres deep is a bit of an exaggerating zac? ;)

AndyP
1st October 2009, 11:00 PM
The 15th at Nambour gives me the shits everytime I play it.

It's a less than 300m dogleg right hole, the index is 15 or something, and par seems like a tough ask for me. The approach is never off a flat lie and the green has two tiers, not that I hit it that often. If you land short, it will roll back down the fairway to leave a 20+ metre chip. A miss long will leave you a very nasty chip. The misses to the side aren't friendly either.

markTHEblake
1st October 2009, 11:05 PM
I concur, i often had trouble with that hole.
especially after the flippin 14th.

AndyP
1st October 2009, 11:20 PM
I concur, i often had trouble with that hole.
especially after the flippin 14th.I've mastered the 14th now......not. You may recall that I had an avatar of the 14th in my attempts to tame it. It hasn't really worked, but I haven't put it OOB for a long time.

MegaWatty
1st October 2009, 11:37 PM
11 at Mollymook Hilltop (formerly 2) - drive through a chute, then mid iron approach intp the wind to a green that is about 2 metres wide (or so it seems)

11, 12 and 17 at the Cut. All dumb holes.

Wow, never heard 12 described as dumb!

markTHEblake
1st October 2009, 11:44 PM
The last time we were there was that rainy day and i hit the best 4 iron ever, am thinking that finally i have mastered the hole too

Didnt even touch the green, and almost unplaying in deep grass up a tree. stupid hole....

Hux
2nd October 2009, 08:34 AM

Yes that is a tough one although you can bail out left without risk. The bunkers right front and short left mean running one up is out pretty much. I have always been pretty happy to be just out to the left.

BUT
Capricorn Resort Championship Course is the course that most terrified me recently.
http://www.capricorngolf.com.au/golfcourses/championshipcourse-holes.asp

The holes in recent times that scared me the most
9th Capricorn new. 500+m of par 5 and narrow all the way. The course tips are accuracy not power...WTF its over 500m and prevailing wind is into your face. You need driver, 3 wood and iron regardless. Anything less than on the fairway stops so a slightly off line drive stops you then get to try and belt a hybrid out and you are staring at an elevated green usually into a strong wind that means you can be hitting a 5 iron.

11th new course Capricorn resort. Plays between 160-190m with a full water carry and the worst pin position I have experienced ever...downright cruel.

par 5 15th new course at Capricorn water and series of bunkers left with the typical double cut rough that pull up a ball that fails to make the fairway. Landing area for 2nd with crap and bunkers right and water continuing left, large tree right and left even though you are only 100m or so out. Double cut rough in front of the 2nd shot landing area so anything long gets caught in the poo. Narrow green . I guess its the signature hole though.

shazza_rs
2nd October 2009, 05:49 PM
I have an issue with the 7th at Middle Ridge. Short dogleg right hole (300m). Have to be close enough to the left of the fairway to get a shot to a up-turned bowl green. Anything that is long, right or left leaves a heart in the mouth flop. Best option is short but if you put anything into the bank it plugs. Hate it, hate it, hate it!

zacdullard
2nd October 2009, 06:31 PM
You don't think 3 metres deep is a bit of an exaggerating zac? ;)
Sorry, it varies from 3 to 4 in places.

Jarro
2nd October 2009, 06:35 PM
Ocean Shores 3rd, 8th, 12th, 13th.

No mention of the second hole ?

Isn't the 3rd a shortish par 3 ??

henno
3rd October 2009, 06:01 PM

Conquered. Anti-OOBs tee shot into the bunker on the next fairway, 9-iron out, wedge to two feet, putt for bird.

Minor_Threat
3rd October 2009, 06:03 PM
I conquered my demon hole today..

Nice little birdie!

AndyP
3rd October 2009, 06:06 PM
Conquered. Anti-OOBs tee shot into the bunker on the next fairway, 9-iron out, wedge to two feet, putt for bird.That's what it wants you to believe. :twisted:

ParMaster
3rd October 2009, 07:11 PM
I conquered my demon hole today..

Nice little birdie!

Was it the happiest moment of your life? :razz:

Tough little hole that. Nice job. :smt038

Minor_Threat
3rd October 2009, 07:30 PM
Was it the happiest moment of your life? :razz:

Tough little hole that. Nice job. :smt038Almost but not quite mate..

It is mostly due to getting my shit together with ball striking! :)

Courty
3rd October 2009, 10:06 PM
That's funny, I birdied my demon hole today too.

Grunt
4th October 2009, 07:03 AM
Was it the happiest moment of your life?

So much to learn in life puppet!:roll: So much to learn!

sms316
4th October 2009, 08:11 AM

Must be hard for a lefty with the overhanging branches from the gum trees. Love to hear what SMS has to say about it.
I'm no GCA expert, but if a green complex is designed for the ball to be hit in left to right, and trees have grown out on the left, it could be time to pull out a chainsaw.

Having said that, I hit 4 iron at the bunker with a high cut. My ball flight is pretty high. I'd hate to play it with a low ball flight.

sms316
4th October 2009, 08:12 AM

He'd really hate it.

He'd still have gravy on his hands from the halfway house for that tee-shot.

But he does enjoy a sit down meal. Runny pies are a specialty.
Wanker/senile old fart.

You guys work out who is who. :wink:

markTHEblake
4th October 2009, 06:52 PM
how do you hit a fence on the RHS with the Bunt Fade?

MegaWatty
4th October 2009, 07:04 PM
I have an issue with the 7th at Middle Ridge. Short dogleg right hole (300m). Have to be close enough to the left of the fairway to get a shot to a up-turned bowl green. Anything that is long, right or left leaves a heart in the mouth flop. Best option is short but if you put anything into the bank it plugs. Hate it, hate it, hate it!

My old man struggled all the time with this hole when he came to visit me in Toowoomba. I think once he may have taken a 12 and most of them around the green. Anyway, the last time we played it before I left Toowoomba, he nailed a birdie (possibly from off the green)! Needless to say, he gave the hole a serve as he left it! :)

razaar
4th October 2009, 07:06 PM
My old man struggled all the time with this hole when he came to visit me in Toowoomba. I think once he may have taken a 12 and most of them around the green. Anyway, the last time we played it before I left Toowoomba, he nailed a birdie (possibly from off the green)! Needless to say, he gave the hole a serve as he left it! :)
Is this the hole beside the road?

MegaWatty
4th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Is this the hole beside the road?

From memory, you cross the road before you play the hole. So I guess it's besides the road. You'd know the green. It's small and slopes from back to front, and is like a turned up noodle bowl.

razaar
4th October 2009, 07:10 PM
Yep..that's the one, small elevated green.

MegaWatty
4th October 2009, 07:11 PM
Bit of a dog, but I guess that's one way to protect such a short hole. Certainly protected it from my old man!

TourFit
4th October 2009, 07:33 PM
Most of the ones I played at The Cut last week !!!!

MegaWatty
4th October 2009, 07:33 PM
Most of the ones I played at The Cut last week !!!!

LOL

PeteyD
4th October 2009, 07:53 PM
And the back tees are way up a shoot that is thicker than the amazon jungle. Horrible little prick of a hole. (The one at Toowoomba)

dc68
4th October 2009, 07:57 PM
The 17th at Pacific.... I hate that hole.

razaar
4th October 2009, 10:52 PM
Wanker/senile old fart.

You guys work out who is who. :wink:
Aaw..that stung!:o

bag_of_ants
4th October 2009, 10:55 PM
The 17th at Pacific.... I hate that hole.

I struggle a lot on #15 since it was renovated, and #1 also gets me on most occasions

markTHEblake
4th October 2009, 11:01 PM
The 4th hole at Gatton has got me by the goolies,
about 400m, right to left sloping fairway and OB left, trees right.

an inside out swingers worst nightmare.

dc68
4th October 2009, 11:25 PM
I struggle a lot on #15 since it was renovated, and #1 also gets me on most occasions

15 is a snack birdied it today and Friday.

Yossarian
4th October 2009, 11:28 PM
The 6th at freo public makes me hit myself in the head everytime.

bag_of_ants
4th October 2009, 11:45 PM
15 is a snack birdied it today and Friday.

wow, nicely done. How do you play it? cut the corner?

henno
5th October 2009, 08:12 AM
wow, nicely done. How do you play it? cut the corner?

Yup (or bend it around the corner in my case ;)). Leaves you with 80-90m in.