PDA

View Full Version : chipping

mike
24th September 2009, 10:27 PM
Chipping for me is like russian roulette. Or a box of chocolates if you get my drift.
Sometimes they check. Sometimes they role forever.

Went out for 9 holes this arv. On the 14th I drove to about 10 metres short of the green. Pin was up the back. I played a chip that I was certain would role to the hole. It hit the green and stopped pretty much where it landed. Way short.
I grabbed another ball, exactly the same, hit the same shot with the same club, just tried to fly it closer to the hole. Contact seemed similar to shot one. It landed just short of pin high and kept rolling until it disappeared over the horizon. ffs.

Tried again. Same ball. Same club. Same contact (so I thought) Went about 3 metres further than shot #1 and stopped dead.

Thinking it's the distance that's screwing me up, I went to the front of the green, same everything, chipped to the hole and it disappeared over the back again.

Wtf am I doing wrong?

Lucasto23
24th September 2009, 10:45 PM
What club did you use, loft?
your probably getting more body rotation on the chips that stop.
ever thought of using another club that spins less and just playing for the run out;)

mike
24th September 2009, 11:03 PM
What club did you use, loft?
Pitching wedge. I have a 52° but we don't get along.

ever thought of using another club that spins less and just playing for the run out;)
That's sort of what I want to do. I know I don't/can't get consistent check on chips so I don't bother. What shits me is my chips checking when I don't want them to.

mike
24th September 2009, 11:04 PM
Maybe I should use a 8 iron.

markTHEblake
24th September 2009, 11:24 PM
Wtf am I doing wrong

you may not be reading the grain.

My Dad had played with (or against in pennant teams) Ossie Pickworth, and he said Ossie and other golfers in that league would sometimes walk 150 metres just to read the grain on a green before hitting his approach shot.

That may well be Dad stretching the truth a little, but you get the point, that grain makes a huge difference.

idgolfguy
24th September 2009, 11:31 PM
Depends on your compression and how you release through the ball.

Jarro
25th September 2009, 03:16 AM
Use the 8 iron so you don't get as much spin, it'll release to the hole no probs then

Julie
25th September 2009, 05:26 AM
I feel your pain Mike I know what you are talking about, at the moment I get pretty nervous before I have to chip because I never know how the shot is going to turn out.

But you have one of the best short games I have ever seen, last time I saw you play your chipping was like poetry in motion, so I don't know what you are complaining about.:lol:

haysey
25th September 2009, 05:35 AM
Borrow Solarmans chipper...

Julie
25th September 2009, 05:37 AM
Haysey do you think he would lend it to me.:lol:
He might be a bit attached to it now.:lol:

haysey
25th September 2009, 05:39 AM
I'll steal it for you Jules. Anything to make it go away:D

Julie
25th September 2009, 05:41 AM
Hahahah:lol::lol::lol:

haysey
25th September 2009, 05:56 AM
Actually I take that back Julie. You don't need a chipper. You're a far better golfer than Solarman anyway8)

mike
25th September 2009, 06:58 AM
But you have one of the best short games I have ever seen, last time I saw you play your chipping was like poetry in motion, so I don't know what you are complaining about.:lol:

Are you on drugs?

Bruce
25th September 2009, 07:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWytvPOlp_A&feature=player_embedded

I have gone from spastic to average since Willow showed me the way. Some days I'm even good. I've holed more chips in the last 6 months than in the previous 6 years.

Courty
25th September 2009, 08:00 AM
Are you on drugs?

Now you know how I feel when you talk about me being the best putter ever. ;)

virge666
25th September 2009, 10:15 AM
Learn to Chip.

There is only ONE WAY to chip correctly. If you hold the angle in your wrists, the ball will check and spin, if you let this angle go - the ball will roll out. It is that simple.

- Phils DVD (Hinge and hold) By far the best DVD out there at present.
- Mercer's DVD (break and block)
- Chuck Cooks DVD (Arms back and body through)
- Tom Kites DVD (Same as Chuck)

All teach the same method - What does that tell you ?

Oh and forget/ignore anything TGM in regards to Chipping. The method is sound but the instruction is insanely too complex. Dave Williams has a good take on it though.

Enjoy

virge666
25th September 2009, 10:17 AM
Borrow Solarmans chipper...

Is it still in one piece . . . I thoght it is still in the woods somewhere on the 12th at Cairns . . .

Tomson
25th September 2009, 11:16 AM
Hey mike I know where you can get phils dvd for $19.75

Courty
25th September 2009, 11:23 AM

Talk to me about it this arve.

Tomson
25th September 2009, 11:25 AM
Big W has them I bought a couple of copies.

I wonder if the mayor is missing you from being under her desk...

razaar
25th September 2009, 11:25 AM
Played with a couple during the week at Tenterfield. The lady used a putter from 50 metres out, when there was a path to the green, over kykuuya with great results. She carried 2 putters a heavy one for off the green and a lighter one for green work. Her husband had the chipping yips, awful to watch. He had one fish (f**k its still here).

haysey
25th September 2009, 11:35 AM
Is it still in one piece . . . I thoght it is still in the woods somewhere on the 12th at Cairns . . .

Its hiding in his office. Along with the last of his dignity:D

Oh right. I'm meant to watch that aren't I...

parlyboy
25th September 2009, 11:43 AM
Talk to me about it this arve.

K mart /Big W have it for $19. Bargain.

Tomson
25th September 2009, 11:55 AM
Its hiding in his office. Along with the last of his dignity:D

Oh right. I'm meant to watch that aren't I...

In phils words "thats just crazy"

solarman
25th September 2009, 12:42 PM
I did throw the Niblick out, but just couldn't bear to be without it, so I scavenged it out and now it sits proudly in my bag again.
Matter of fact, I may even bring it out tomorrow !!!!

Julie
25th September 2009, 03:25 PM
Are you on drugs?

No!!

Mike I just think you are being a bit bashful.
Maybe your short game is not up to it's usual superior standard that you expect at the moment.8):D

Julie
25th September 2009, 03:30 PM
I did throw the Niblick out, but just couldn't bear to be without it, so I scavenged it out and now it sits proudly in my bag again.
Matter of fact, I may even bring it out tomorrow !!!!

Where are you boys playing tomorrow?
Russell and I are going to the Milla Milla Open this weekend.
Any other FNQ Ozgolfer's going to the Milla Milla Open?

razaar
25th September 2009, 04:28 PM
Chipping for me is like russian roulette. Or a box of chocolates if you get my drift.
Sometimes they check. Sometimes they role forever.
Wtf am I doing wrong?
Situations that affect run with a gap wedge which has a relatively flat trajectory when chipping if played off the back foot on a level surface.
Topography of landing area (flat, down hill. up hill, side slope).
Grain.
Moisture of the surface and sub surface.
The ball type.
Breaking the wrists will lower the trajectory and add speed to the chip.
Maintaining the wrist set and using shoulder turn as the power source will give a softer landing shot with less roll.
Hitting down on the ball will provide more backspin and control than sweeping the ball.
The answer to your problem lies somewhere in that lot.:)

mike
25th September 2009, 09:38 PM
If you hold the angle in your wrists, the ball will check and spin, if you let this angle go - the ball will roll out. It is that simple.

Maintaining the wrist set and using shoulder turn as the power source will give a softer landing shot with less roll.

I think somewhere back in the left rear part of my brain I sort of knew this, but the logical portion of my brain couldn't understand how it was so.
Now I've heard it from you two I have something to work on and someone to blame if it all goes wrong.;)

Thanks guys. Life just became slightly less painful.

Ferrins
25th September 2009, 09:42 PM
Situations that affect run with a gap wedge which has a relatively flat trajectory when chipping if played off the back foot on a level surface.
Topography of landing area (flat, down hill. up hill, side slope).
Grain.
Moisture of the surface and sub surface.
The ball type.
Hitting down on the ball will provide more backspin and control than sweeping the ball.
The answer to your problem lies somewhere in that lot.:)
This new learning astounds me do tell me how you can know future events by feeling the entrails of a sheep.

mike
25th September 2009, 09:48 PM
Ferrins, since when did Richard Green play right handed?

Ferrins
25th September 2009, 09:53 PM
He often practises right handed to prevent curvature of the spine

TheNuclearOne
26th September 2009, 11:08 PM
I'm no champ but since i got into a bit of Lynn Blake i am just a right arm man now. Get into a good setup and back with the right arm, thru with the right arm.No conscious shoulder movement. You can hinge going back or not, you can hold the angle or release. I've found reasonable consistency with this. Not many moving parts.

virge666
27th September 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm no champ but since i got into a bit of Lynn Blake i am just a right arm man now. Get into a good setup and back with the right arm, thru with the right arm.No conscious shoulder movement. You can hinge going back or not, you can hold the angle or release. I've found reasonable consistency with this. Not many moving parts.

For the record - I hate this method. Dave Williams is about the only bloke out there that can teach this method with any kind of commonsense or communication.

There are about 5 people on tour who chip with a hitting or piston action and none of them are noted as being great chippers or pitchers. it is too steep and doesn't work at all into the grain.

TNO if you get the chance, pleaase check out any of the above mentioned vids and see how the tour players chip and pitch. The advent of bounce and wider soles on modern wedges has not rendered the TGM method useless - but the hinge and hold or break and block method makes better use of the modern sole design and has better contact / spin control.

I offer it as a suggestion not to pout that the TGM method does not work.

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2009, 09:07 PM
For the record - I hate this method. Dave Williams is about the only bloke out there that can teach this method with any kind of commonsense or communication.

There are about 5 people on tour who chip with a hitting or piston action and none of them are noted as being great chippers or pitchers. it is too steep and doesn't work at all into the grain.

TNO if you get the chance, pleaase check out any of the above mentioned vids and see how the tour players chip and pitch. The advent of bounce and wider soles on modern wedges has not rendered the TGM method useless - but the hinge and hold or break and block method makes better use of the modern sole design and has better contact / spin control.

I offer it as a suggestion not to pout that the TGM method does not work.

Hey thanks Virge. I've probably miscommunicated a bit i think mate. I'm not so much doing the piston/hitting thing as much as simply bringing it back and thru with a swinging right arm (by swinging not loose or flimsy tho) and am not steep at all. I know the stroke you talk of, and am not anything like it. She'd be tough alright, i agree. Tho good for many i moved away from the almost robotic like shoulder rocking. Brian Gay i guess would be my chipping model.

mike
1st October 2009, 08:13 PM
OK I've been working on this a bit.

I'm getting more check using my PW (Mizuno mp60) than I am with my 52° RAC .

Does this seem right?

mike
1st October 2009, 08:14 PM
Having said that I feel more comfortable with the pw anyway, the 52° is pure evil.